Help with creating (and proofreading) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Prodigal Son said:
Arwenn said:
Fester said:
ah :-[

yes I got it. It kinda got lost in the flood of other emails from the group- every message, i get an email :rolleyes: I'll hafta change the settings or whatever.

Thanx Arwenn

No worries mate, I must admit to being totally bewildered too when I first jumped in!

Ditto, and I still am bewildered by the process - to a degree. As long as you post what you are doing, the bewilderment may ease, and people will gentle correct you if needed, or at least that's what I found, they really are a friendly bunch. :)

Fwiw, there are different setting available, i.e. you could set it up to get one summary mail per day, every message as a mail or just viewing the group online (it can be set up in the group setting). Or you are using an imap account and you could route the mails to a specific folder instantly without being noticed that you got new mails and you click on the folder when you like to know if something new was sent or not. Though it depends on the mail program and mail client how to set it up.

Silveryblue said:
Hi Guys,
I feel I have to come clean.
I volunteered to do editing if necessary. I don't write or speak any foreign language.
I regret that I was immediately overwhelmed with my uselessness on the thread. The majority of emails asked for translation assistance.
I had to withdraw.
If you need editing assistance eg making translations readable (although most already are) then can you have another group for that?
Still wanting to help, but feeling pretty useless.
SB
My only language is English as well. You can help by transcribing the SOTT talk radio shows or proof reading the transcriptions that are already completed. When you become a member of the group there is a data base for the English transcriptions of the shows on a handy table which lets you know which stage each of the transcripts is at. So you just choose one from the table, let everyone else know what you intend to do then find it on the database (if its proof reading) or create a new file (if it's transcribing the latest show). And get cracking! It's dead easy once you do your first one. Believe me I had about 4 false starts getting my head round the system before I got it right. Just ask for any help you need. FWIW each radio show is about 2 hours long so proofreading should take just over that depending on the quality of the transcription so that's a good place to start. Transcribing an actual show took me a lot longer than I anticipated so you would need to be aware of that before you got started. I might be awfully slow but it took me on average 2 hours for every 10 minutes I transcribed. Still, there is no deadline on how long you can take for each task and there is a great sense of achievement when you hear Joe say "well that's it for this weeks show"... hahaha well for me anyway! I hope this helps you.

I'll do part one and upload it to the database. Do you mean creating a file like how you would do it for an episode of SOTT talk radio?

Ideally you'd put the transcribed text into an .srt file. I don't know how to do that but maybe someone here can help you.

Kniall said:
Ideally you'd put the transcribed text into an .srt file. I don't know how to do that but maybe someone here can help you.

Here's how I did the subtitle file. First, per Chu's suggestion I downloaded the Media Subtitler program. Then, I went over the video and simply transcribed it, and then divided the text into "subtitle length" sentences, like this:

Lebedev gave a report and said, that his job was to sign, and others should deal with whatever may happen later.

And then he retired. He signed and retired.

This kind of operation happens from time to time in Russia.

Lenin also was given power in order to quickly sign an agreement with Germans. And then to leave.

But he didn't.

And then I opened the Media Subtitler and loaded the video (It should be downloaded from YT first, with sites like keepvid.com). Then, I copied the entire transcribed text into the clipboard (by ctrl+c), clicked in the Media Subtitler on File->New from Clipboard. It automatically transfers all the text.

And then you play the video. When the time for the subtitle has come, you click on the "Apply" button and hold it until it no longer necessary, and then when the time for the next subtitle has come, you again click on the "apply" and so on. It knows how to jump from line to line and puts the proper time, so you just need to click on "apply" and hold it, that's all.

And then you just need to save the file as .srt, check if everything is ok, make a .zip file out of it (since the forum doesn't allow uploading .srt files), and that's it. Hope it helps.

wow ok that is way out of my capabilities at the moment. It would take way longer than I think you would find reasonable for me to get my head round it and carry it out as I'm working full time and studying on my days off so it would be weeks and weeks. Sorry. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

lainey said:
wow ok that is way out of my capabilities at the moment. It would take way longer than I think you would find reasonable for me to get my head round it and carry it out as I'm working full time and studying on my days off so it would be weeks and weeks. Sorry. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Sorry for overwhelming you. :-[ I think it's perfectly ok to do just what you suggested. Just to transcribe the text, the way you would do it with SOTT Radio show. And I can make the SRT file afterwards. No problem. Would that be better?

:) yes I can definitely do that! No worries, I'm a kinesthetic learner so just reading that made me go :scared: haha, It's something I could try on a small project myself, then once I had done it once or twice I could apply it to this forum. So sure, I can get started on a regular transcript. Thanks for the help!

Hi everybody,

I'd like to jump on board to help out with transcribing the radio talks. :)

I see that there's a few talks that haven't been transcribed yet. Unless someone's already taken it, I will start working on Show #74 - Israel Massacres Palestinians (again): Interview with Miko Peled.

Btw, I read about there being a database but I'm not really sure where to find it.

Hi Eboard10,

All the shows so far have been transcribed or are in the process and some are still being proofread. Gandalf will need to give you rights to the database.

Bluefyre said:
Hi Eboard10,

All the shows so far have been transcribed or are in the process and some are still being proofread. Gandalf will need to give you rights to the database.

Understood, will wait for Gandalf then. Thanks

Eboard10 said:
Bluefyre said:
Hi Eboard10,

Understood, will wait for Gandalf then. Thanks

Hi Eboard10,

I have just noticed that you have received an invitation to join the group and that you have already joined the group.

So, please post a little intro and as soon as you have doned it, you will received the welcome message.

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Delizco said:
I would love to help in any way :D

Hi Delizco,

Thanks you for your offer.

An invitation to join the group has just been sent to you.

Please post a little intro as soon as you have joined the group.

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Back
Top Bottom