r34117y

A Disturbance in the Force
What do you think about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-hnjwUBLk

There are basicly 3 sentences:

"Very charismatic moment."

"You know... you know what it is"

"We shall destroy the programme"

I've seen this video some time ago (maybe year maybe 6 months ago), and what I find very strange is that it also had very few views (as for Pope + charismatic topic). I posted it on facebook, and now I can't find it (but maybe I haven't searched enough). I can hardly find any info about this event.

Btw. it's my second attempt to publish this post. First time I accidentaly closed the tab. My subconscious is going through hard times last days.

Love!

I found this as well:

Pope was transmitted live over national TV. When he started doing what he did they got so panicked they actually cut the program live on air in the middle, and put on advertisements. I had a friend working in this studio and she actually made me a copy of this tape in the panic of the studio, so that is why I have this very bad quality but the only existing version of the show.]Pope was transmitted live over national TV. When he started doing what he did they got so panicked they actually cut the program live on air in the middle, and put on advertisements. I had a friend working in this studio and she actually made me a copy of this tape in the panic of the studio, so that is why I have this very bad quality but the only existing version of the show.

from http://www.undo.net/cgi-bin/openframe.pl?x=/facts/gene4/abramovic_eng.htm

Was JP drunk or something? What's with the "woooo" and "hmmmmm" noises?? He was either drunk, on drugs, or he was sincerely laughing at the ignorant masses.

He obviously means that all that yelling and carrying on and him not being able to talk would destroy the program that he was set to follow at that event. Nothing mysterious about it. But it is scary as heck the way those people were acting.

It looked like a bit of a psychopathic game to me, I imagine he said to his buddies something along the lines of "Let's see how long I can make stupid noises before they stop screaming in ecstasy at my very presence". I guess the answer was forever.

Laura said:
He obviously means that all that yelling and carrying on and him not being able to talk would destroy the program that he was set to follow at that event. Nothing mysterious about it. But it is scary as heck the way those people were acting.

Yeah, and I can't help but think that JP was laughing at them. As the ideological descendants of the Roman optimates, he (and his cardinals) no doubt felt smug about it.

Laura said:

I had a similar impression as I watched it. Actually it is also kind of a (unwritten) rule in speeches to let people laugh/cheer till they are finished and not cutting them off.

I see it like this: people were getting enthusiastic about being at his presence, thus all the ovation, and Pope just joined them in his own way, just making his small “uhu, uhu”, which made people even more enthusiastic. This way he demonstrated, he is with them and he enjoys himself.
When the priest came to him and said something, Pope jokingly revealed what he had just been told, ie. that “we (Pope and audience) will destroy the programme”.
I have seen similar events with him, for instance when he was talking to students in Poland, he liked to show he is united with people, he was joking and laughing with them.

It seems to me that he wanted to demonstrate, that he is with people and he does not care about the programme. Just look at the expression of his face, it is kind, friendly and smiling, even I think I noticed blinking once.

Whatever his motive of such behavior was, how sincere he was is another matter, and I do not even try to judge, but I know his popularity among people was exactly because of this - that he liked to show people he is with them. That was his style. At least at the beginning of his Popehood he seemed to have good intentions (or so it looks to naive me) and how the years in Vatican influenced him, hard to guess, but it seems to me that with time the expression of his face changed very much for the worse.

I do not think that he was a born psychopath, and if he was, he was very good at playing/pretending.

I see it like this: people were getting enthusiastic about being at his presence, thus all the ovation, and Pope just joined them in his own way, just making his small “uhu, uhu”, which made people even more enthusiastic. This way he demonstrated, he is with them and he enjoys himself.
When the priest came to him and said something, Pope jokingly revealed what he had just been told, ie. that “we (Pope and audience) will destroy the programme”.

I am with you on this one, nothing out of the ordinary, just maybe it could be that he was demonstrating their reactions and joking about that when saying uhu, but the level of worshiping is the thing that comes here in to play. People have so low dignity themselves and are ready to worship him because he is the pope, and if he can joke they ll jump on all four. The easiness of manipulating people here is beyond laughable. Then people say there is still hope. Easy prey the humanity is.

Corvinus said:

I am with you on this one, nothing out of the ordinary, just maybe it could be that he was demonstrating their reactions and joking about that when saying uhu, but the level of worshiping is the thing that comes here in to play. People have so low dignity themselves and are ready to worship him because he is the pope, and if he can joke they ll jump on all four. The easiness of manipulating people here is beyond laughable. Then people say there is still hope. Easy prey the humanity is.

I can't stand seeing things like this. Maybe it was a quirk of his personality, maybe he thought he'd have some fun with his shee.. i mean flock, or maybe there wasn't any real thought behind it. Perhaps he was just a pathological type knowing he could get away with this kind of behaviour, after all, it's nothing new is it? Rock stars & their effects, bread & circuses come in all sorts. I've heard of this "he shows he's one of the people" rubbish before & i ain't buying what they're selling.
Corvinus hit it on the head - the masses with no dignity etc. (Although Laura has a point now I'm thinking more about it)
Yep, scary the pied piper way he led them zombie-like (seriously how many times did he do those noises & for that long?) but the hypnotic effect on these followers begins long before they arrive & congregate...

My impression was similar to Carlise's. It seemed like a power trip to me...somewhat like a 'cat and mouse' game. Creepy

Kris

This is an absurd situation, like from a movie of the Monty Python. Seeing the Head of the Roman Catholic Religion doing these sounds is ridiculous and laughable. It is also laughable to see his fans. Monty Python at their best!

Back
Top Bottom