Gurdjieff Quote

I appreciate this post. Thank you. It helps at the end of the day to be reminded that even though it is difficult to stay strong and do the work it sure feels nice knowing im not alone. :)

And, yet, Gurdjieff has also written that, "Sincerity with everyone is a weakness."

Nienna said:
And, yet, Gurdjieff has also written that, "Sincerity with everyone is a weakness."

Absolutely. One example of that from pop culture is Michael Scott from The Office. He is pathologically incapable of being insincere with ANYONE, except himself. What is REQUIRED is sincerity with the SELF, on the path of self perfection. It is amazing how easy it is to slip into insincerity while still thinking you are being sincere.

Kris

RflctnOfU said:
Nienna said:

Absolutely. One example of that from pop culture is Michael Scott from The Office. He is pathologically incapable of being insincere with ANYONE, except himself. What is REQUIRED is sincerity with the SELF, on the path of self perfection. It is amazing how easy it is to slip into insincerity while still thinking you are being sincere.

Kris

Yes, in the context of internal considering, that sincerity is false because it only complies with the desire of the false personality.

Nienna said:

Why is that a weakness? Doesn't 'everyone' includes yourself, therefore, being sincere with yourself?

Searched in the glossary but the entry 'SINCERITY' is blank

You have misinterpreted the quote. He did not say "sincerity with anybody", but rather "sincerity with everybody".

The example I've been given that brought me back to practicality and strategic enclosure (I had a stint of "any lie is bad") was, you are a nazi-era german citizen. One evening, the gestapo knocks on your door, asking if you know any jews in the neighborhood...

Álvaro said:
RflctnOfU said:
Nienna said:

Kris

Yes, in the context of internal considering, that sincerity is false because it only complies with the desire of the false personality.

Ties in with vigilance, paying attention to objective reality, part & parcel with external considering & strategic enclosure osit... in a sense I think it reflects insincerity with the self?

Back
Top Bottom