Operation - inguinal hernia

DHTH

Padawan Learner
Hi,

I'm having a surgery tuesday next week the 1.Oct it seems! I don't like it at all, but I don't know what else to do about it. Does anyone have any experience with this and is there any other possibilities known to you?

I will be in full anesthesia!!! Hate hospitals and just the thought that will be in their power during operation give me the chills!!

Anyone anything ?

Any experience is welcome:

I've known a couple people who've had these fixed under local anaesthesia. Yours might be a bad one, but it's really not that invasive at all. It's not like they are going in to poke around your innards or anything. You'll be fine.

Perhaps you can do some pipe breathing and POTS before surgery to instill some peace and positive intent to the emotions concerning anesthesia. Best wishes.

Thanks for the replies.

you are right, i will be fine, I guess there is nothing to worry about really. I might as well try pibe breathing before anesthesia yes. Good idea:-)

DHTH said:
I'm having a surgery tuesday next week the 1.Oct it seems! I don't like it at all, but I don't know what else to do about it.
Apparently your doctors think surgery is indicated, which - given the location of the problem - might indeed be the case. If it doesn't give you discomfort and you doubt surgery is necessary, you might seek another doctor's opinion, if you have time. Otherwise, it's a low risk surgery, so just go have it.

I had surgery for an abdominal hernia about 10 years ago. I was unemployed at the time, and poor, therefore the surgeon, anesthesiologist and Adventist hospital all wrote off their bills. I was so lucky.

After making the arrangements previously, I drove to the hospital and went in early in the morning, about 6am. I was shown to a small room on the surgical floor, took off my clothes, put on a hospital gown, and then my anesthesiologist came in and gave me a pill, promised to take good care of me.

The pill knocked me right out. I woke up a couple of hours later and rested for awhile in a recovery room, then dressed and left the hospital. I was out of there that afternoon and drove myself home.

They gave me some Vicodin for pain, but I didn't need it.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But if you trust your doctors and hospital, you ought to be okay.

griffin said:
DHTH said:
I'm having a surgery tuesday next week the 1.Oct it seems! I don't like it at all, but I don't know what else to do about it.
Apparently your doctors think surgery is indicated, which - given the location of the problem - might indeed be the case. If it doesn't give you discomfort and you doubt surgery is necessary, you might seek another doctor's opinion, if you have time. Otherwise, it's a low risk surgery, so just go have it.

I had surgery for an abdominal hernia about 10 years ago. I was unemployed at the time, and poor, therefore the surgeon, anesthesiologist and Adventist hospital all wrote off their bills. I was so lucky.

After making the arrangements previously, I drove to the hospital and went in early in the morning, about 6am. I was shown to a small room on the surgical floor, took off my clothes, put on a hospital gown, and then my anesthesiologist came in and gave me a pill, promised to take good care of me.

The pill knocked me right out. I woke up a couple of hours later and rested for awhile in a recovery room, then dressed and left the hospital. I was out of there that afternoon and drove myself home.

They gave me some Vicodin for pain, but I didn't need it.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But if you trust your doctors and hospital, you ought to be okay.

That was pretty well my experience with my inguinal hernia, except they gave me morphine during the op and told me to take Tylenol for the pain from the incision, which was more of an uncomfortable burning sensation. However, it only lasted a couple of days.
But I couldn't do any kind of lifting or exercise for six weeks after the op. That was 9 mos ago and I healed up well.
The doc's big concern was infection, which didn't happen
You're probably going to be just fine DHTH.

Thanks for the support and for telling about your own experiences. That make me happy and grateful.

I did consult another doctor and he was of the same opinion about the operation. so I guess everything will just be fine:-)

I have the same "disease" inguinal hernia. But I use the same system as shown in this video. I have no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5VQ-oUa4aM

Good Luck :)

Hi. DHTH: I had hernia surgery about 12 years ago. I was in the surgical hospital about 9:00 am, out and on the way home about 1:00 pm. Full anesthesia. The anesthesiologist injected something into my arm and said you may feel a little drowsy. I was out like a light in seconds, although I experienced a brief vague moment of consciousness at some point during the surgery. No problem though.

One thing, allow you self some time to recover. I stayed home and took it easy the first two days, then went back to work on the third day. This wasn't a good idea. I felt quite a bit of pain and discomfort for a couple of days. I guess I was trying to be a hero. :-[. So give yourself time to rest and recoup and you'll be fine.

Apparently, it was a good repair, no problem with the area since.

Take care, breath, give yourself time to heal. Wish you well!

Mac

Mac said:
Hi. DHTH: I had hernia surgery about 12 years ago. I was in the surgical hospital about 9:00 am, out and on the way home about 1:00 pm. Full anesthesia. The anesthesiologist injected something into my arm and said you may feel a little drowsy. I was out like a light in seconds, although I experienced a brief vague moment of consciousness at some point during the surgery. No problem though.

One thing, allow you self some time to recover. I stayed home and took it easy the first two days, then went back to work on the third day. This wasn't a good idea. I felt quite a bit of pain and discomfort for a couple of days. I guess I was trying to be a hero. :-[. So give yourself time to rest and recoup and you'll be fine.

Apparently, it was a good repair, no problem with the area since.

Take care, breath, give yourself time to heal. Wish you well!

Mac
Last week, I had a annual checkup. PCP mentioned that I have hernia and need a operation. Interesting thing is, last year another PCP didn't mention any issues though same amount of protrusion existed. Any way, we scheduled operation in a couple of weeks. they mentioned it is a short stay and they will use robotics arms and give some narcotic pain killers prescription for post operation usage, in case needed. Not sure what the prescription medicine will be and will check. They mentioned that prescription is little stronger than usual extra strength Tylenol. I was wondering whether any other anti-pain medicine is recommended that is not harmful. Any way this medication is only for 2 or 3 days.

There’s a topic for everything here! I have a inguinal hernia and looks like I’m going to go the surgery route and patch it up asap. I think it was there for years (an incident in 2016) but the fat wall melted away on my keto lifestyle and it just appeared! Time to get over another speedbump…

Would anyone be willing to share anecdotal or actual experiences with inguinal hernia surgeries?

I have a family member with two inguinal hernias (right & left) who must make a decision between the two options below.
We have done a lot of research, but are still unsure which way to go.

1----Shouldice Hernia Repair Hospital in Canada which does exclusively tissue (no-mesh) hernia repairs (two 45 minute surgeries which require 6 days in hospital, is not covered by insurance, but is considered the "gold standard" for hernia repairs).
versus
2----hernia repairs with mesh (which require no hospital stay, are done locally by general surgeons, and are covered by insurance).

Any information you could share would be most welcome: e.g., anecdotal or personal experience with either type of surgery, pain considerations, length of recuperation, recurrence, complications associated with mesh, or any such issues.
Thank you so much.

Would anyone be willing to share anecdotal or actual experiences with inguinal hernia surgeries?

I have a family member with two inguinal hernias (right & left) who must make a decision between the two options below.
We have done a lot of research, but are still unsure which way to go.

1----Shouldice Hernia Repair Hospital in Canada which does exclusively tissue (no-mesh) hernia repairs (two 45 minute surgeries which require 6 days in hospital, is not covered by insurance, but is considered the "gold standard" for hernia repairs).
versus
2----hernia repairs with mesh (which require no hospital stay, are done locally by general surgeons, and are covered by insurance).

Any information you could share would be most welcome: e.g., anecdotal or personal experience with either type of surgery, pain considerations, length of recuperation, recurrence, complications associated with mesh, or any such issues.
Thank you so much.
I specifically have not gotten surgery yet because I do not want mesh in my inguinal area. I just wear a truss until I can afford to close it up the right way. That’s just my opinion. I don’t feel that hot about having a foreign body near my pelvic floor that can cause me issues down the years. No thanks, I’d rather tough it out.

Back
Top Bottom