James Fallon: Public Psychopath

alphonse

Jedi Master
James Fallon is on BBC Radio 4 Programme "All in thr Mind" at 9pm BST tonight, Tuesday 26t April

American neuroscientist James Fallon talks to Claudia Hammond about his own personal journey of discovery about the nature of criminal brain. With his expertise in neuroanatomy, James Fallon was often asked to analyse and interpret the brain scans of convicted murderers in legal cases. Neuroimaging studies have shown that psychopaths often have differences in brain structure and functioning to normal people.

Knowing his professional interest in the criminal brain, his mother then told Professor Fallon about a dark ancestral streak in his father's side of the family. Genealogical detective work uncovered 8 murderers and alleged killers in one branch of the family tree - including Lizzy Borden (who was accused but acquitted of the axe-murders of her father and step mother).

The opportunity to have his own brain scanned then came up. James Fallon was unnerved to discover that aspects of his own brain functioning had marked similarities to those of psychopath he had studied. Adding to the alarm were results of some subsequent genetic tests.

A number of genes have been linked to aggressive and violent behaviour. One of these has been nick-named the 'warrior' gene. The gene makes a brain chemical called monoamine oxidase A, MAO-A. There are different versions or 'flavours' of this gene. James Fallon turned out to have the version which has been most strongly correlated with violent behaviour in some studies. Professor Fallon says that in a sense, he's a born killer.

However, Professor Fallon's discoveries about himself have had a profound effect on his thinking about the roots of psychopathy and violent behaviour. He used to be a strong advocate of the power of genes on human nature and behaviour. Now, he's convinced that his childhood and upbringing made all the difference in who he is.

Might be worth a listen?

Al

Re: James Fallon

Very interesting BBC radio interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010mcl1

This neuroscientist discovered that his brain scans and genes are the same as those of psychopaths, and he even has a family history of 7 murderers among his ancestors.

He says that he is "on the edge" of being normal and that a very loving upbringing may have been the environmental influence to counter his genetic predispositions.

He is also very open that he does lack empathy for people and some people he knows have confirmed this to him.

I am not sure if he is really a psychopath, but it is an interesting case. His openness and self-awareness suggest that he is probably not one.

James Fallon, neuroscience professor at the University of California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fallon

2303.jpg

this iterview is certainly interesting when this guy is telling the truth !?

so how is it possible that he (allegedly a psychopathic personality) can make a study on psychopaths to know their behavior and brain functions
and realize that he himself is a psychopath?

I mean something must have driven him to do this study. what must have been the driving mechanism behind his search ?
to know why psychopaths lack on emotions he thought in that time he had (a psychopath) ?

so he suggests that a loving environment in the childhood of a psychopath can turn out those genes?!
I mean maybe this is possible for a person that is not a born psychopath (someone who become one through his experiences), but is it possible for a real psychopath ?

I don't know maybe he is trying to promote an agenda to make people believe that you can chance psychopaths through loving ? :shock:

Yeah, it is kind of fishy, but he does seem sincere in his research and self-analysis. So my take on it is that he is not a born psychopath. Maybe some of those brain scans and "psychopath genes" (whatever they are) can give you false positives when the person is in fact not a psychopath.

It is interesting though to consider his family history and that there were in fact 7 ancestors who killed other members of the family. There is definitely some genetic or hereditary mechanism involved in his case.

Here is a pretty interesting recent interview, with this James Fallon guy on CNN called:

Many presidents had psychopathic traits?

https://youtu.be/iEI8Ha1An5s

Quite interesting that now also CNN publishes stuff about Psychopathy, but again with this dangerous spin or suggestion that it might be good to have Psychopathic traits in some cases and especially for leadership, or so it seems. It seems to go into the same direction as we have noticed with other mainstream publications on that subject in the last couple of months, like this popular Kevin Dutton guy and his book about Psychopathy, who portrays Psychopathy traits as something to strive for and good for humans: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,30412.0.html

Notice also what CNN reporter Anderson Cooper starts to say in the middle of the interview:

Anderson Cooper said:
I'm convinced...I mean, I find this whole topic of Psychopaths really interesting, because I am convinced that there are a lot more people out there who are Psychopaths then we realize. And particularly successful people, accomplished people. You know people on TV, people in the political sphere, I am convinced there are tons of Psychopaths.

And then how James Fallon takes that ball happily and spins it to something rather astonishing.

So there are a number of very interesting spins made by James Fallon about the topic of Psychopathy in this interview in tandem with Anderson Cooper, which can easily pass by if you don't pay very close attention to what he actually says and don't have deep knowledge about Psychopathy at hand. And I don't think it is a coincidence either that James Fallon is doing that in this way in a CNN interview. He seems to get invited all over in the mainstream world in recent times. Kind of reminds me of that Sam Vaknin guy...

I watched it now several times and each time it becomes more apparent how truly dangerous and manipulative the spins are, that are created by James Fallon and Anderson Cooper within this talk. You really have pay close attention, it is quite interesting.

_http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/living/2014/01/11/ac-intv-fallon-neuroscientist-finds-psychopathy.cnn&iref=allsearch&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2Fsearch%2F%3Fquery%3DJames%2BFallon%2B%26x%3D39%26y%3D6%26primaryType%3Dmixed%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26intl%3Dtrue

Article on James Fallon on abcnews
_http://abcnews.go.com/Health/scientist-related-killers-learns-psychopaths-brain/story?id=21029246

Scientist Related to Killers Learns He Has a Psychopath's Brain
Nov. 30, 2013
By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES

James Fallon admits he has a lot in common with serial killer Ted Bundy and Columbine assassin Eric Harris. He is aggressive, lacks empathy and is a risk-taker.

Fallon, a professor of psychiatry and human behavior at the University of California Irvine, accidentally discovered what friends and family have suspected for years -- he has all the genetic traits and brain scan patterns of a psychopath.

"When somebody gets mad at me, I never show it -- they can't read it on my face," Fallon, 66, told ABCNews.com. "I never get even immediately, but four years down the road, I get them with revenge."

"I don't have special emotional bonds with those who are close to me -- I treat everyone the same," he said. "I am involved in a lot of charities and good works, and my intentions are good for the world. But I don't have the sense of romance or love I am supposed to have for my wife. It's not there."

But Fallon is not a mass murderer and in his new book, "The Psychopath Inside: A Neuroscientist's Personal Journey Into the Dark Side of the Brain," he tries to understand why.

For years Fallon has worked with criminologists and other legal experts to evaluate the brain for abnormalities. But while volunteering with his own family for a study of Alzheimer's disease, Fallon learned on his PET scan that he has all the features of a psychopath.

"The last scan in the pile was strikingly odd," he writes about the 2005 discovery. "In fact it looked exactly like the most abnormal of the scans I had just been writing about, suggesting that the poor individual it belonged to was a psychopath -- or at least shared an uncomfortable amount of traits with one. ... When I found out who the scan belonged to, I had to believe there was a mistake. ... But there had been no mistake. The scan was mine."

Fallon, who has three children and five grandchildren, analyzes why he is a law-abiding, though impulse-driven, citizen, and yet other psychopaths with the same genetic predisposition, go on to kill.

Two of his distant relatives were notorious: One, Lizzie Borden, was acquitted of murdering her father and stepmother with a hatchet in 1892. Another, Thomas Cornell, was the first in the American colonies hanged for killing his mother in 1672.

Fallon said he escaped the same fate because of the interplay between nature and nurture. He was raised in a loving family. Still, he had some other telltale signs, such as panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive tendencies and social anxieties.

"Looking at my genetics, I had lethal combination, but I just had the happiest childhood growing up," he said. Fallon's mother had four miscarriages before his birth and, as a result, he said he was, "treated well because they didn't think I would be born."

"There were dark periods I went through, but they didn't bring me to a psychiatrist, but they told my sisters and teachers to watch out for me," he said. "My mother instinctively knew there was a problem."

Conscience and a sense of morality and impulse control lie in the limbic system and in the orbital cortex in the brain, according to Fallon.

"They connect and inhibit each other not unlike the super-ego controlling the id," he said. "It's the interface between the intellectual mind and the emotions attending to them."

Fallon's brain scans show low activity in both regions of the brain.

"No behavior is really evil or bad -- it's all contextual," he said. "There is a time for sex and a time for killing, when someone attacks the family. But it's done in context. The orbital cortex adjudicates the idea of morality and interacts with the amygdala's drive to eat, drink and screw. There would be mayhem if it didn't exist."

As a neuroscientist, Fallon said he always believed humans were ruled solely by their genes and not their environment in the nature versus nurture debate.

"I never took it seriously," he said. "I was the poster boy for genes causing everything. But I had to eat crow and say I was wrong."

His personal story was the subject of a TED talk that went viral on YouTube in 2007 and he even had a guest role on the television show, "Criminal Minds." Fallon was contacted by literary agents last year to write a book about his experience.

He blames abuse in the first three years of life, combined with biological features that turn off serotonin in the brain, leading to psychopathic violence.

"It's a loaded gun," he said, but not necessarily a "death sentence."

Fallon suggests that a child born with biological tendencies to be a psychopath can be pushed over the edge by early abuse and by bullies.

Northeastern University criminologist Jack Levin agrees environmental influences determine whether a psychopath will go on to be violent, but discredits Fallon's theory. The author of a book about mass murderers, "Extreme Killing," Levin said most serial killers are in their 30s and 40s.

"You can determine the biological roots of psychopathy, including the lack of empathy and remorse and manipulative disposition, but the problem is, that does not necessarily translate into violent behavior," he told ABCNews.com. "There are literally millions of psychopaths."

The American Psychological Association claims that as many as 3 percent of all Americans have antisocial personalities, according to Levin, "meaning they are crafty and shrewd and masters at presentation of self."

"They might sell you a bad used car, or might be womanizers or pathological liars or cheaters, but that doesn't mean they will kill anyone," he said. "Not unless you become an obstacle to their success -- and then you better watch out."

All serial killers seem to share a "feeling of profound powerlessness," said Levin.

One of the earliest signs can be animal cruelty. "If you see a 6-year-old who sadistically abuses a dog or cat that is the family pet in an up-close and personal way, in order to maximize the suffering of the animal, clearly that's a red flag and you have a problem on your hands."

Levin suggests that psychopathic killers have difficulty transitioning from adolescence into adulthood.

"If the triggers occurred in early childhood, they would start killing people when they were 9 or 12," he said. "There is some environmental factor beyond how they were raised."

"It's impossible to predict [who will be a killer] under the Fallon model," said Levin. "A lot of people have the symptoms, but don't get the disease. They have been brutalized under terrible circumstances, been sexually stimulated by their parents and yet grow up to be healthy, decent people."

Fallon said his bad biology didn't stop his professional success, even if has taken a personal toll. Throughout life, he said he has had a larger-than-life personality that attracts people, but puts those he loves at risk.

"I wouldn't want to marry me," he said. "I am a pain in the ass and competitive. I can be so manipulative and I am always on the make, but I am not going to kill anyone or rape anyone."

Haven't encountered that having panic attacks and social anxiety were telltale signs of psychopathy - which is what the implication is in the context of this article.

My first impression is that Fallon matches the narcissistic personality more than a psychopath - as a psychopath is understood by Cleckley and Hare.

Also,
All serial killers seem to share a "feeling of profound powerlessness," said Levin.

Seriously?

Once again, media spin distorts science. Gaaaah!

I bet that about anybody who does a good genealogical review of their family history will find one or two skeletons in the closet. Plus, as the good prof says, environment can play a part in how the psychopathy manifests. Not only that, there are numerous genes involved and I don't think that anybody has a complete handle on that.

In the end, I don't think brain scans are the "test" though they can contribute to our knowledge of human behavior IF there is a thorough, matching, human observation and experience oriented history.

Interesting. I really don't like that Fallon guy. First because he not so subtly suggests that psychopaths have leadership skills and, essentially, that they have value in society (he's probably promoting himself here) and secondly because he blithely states that he has no emotional empathy, it's tough to be close to him, to be married to him, and yet he then states that he always gregarious, on the make, trying to get people into his world. He obviously doesn't care about or can't understand the disconnect there: if he's going around getting people "into his world" i.e. schmoozing people, creating a positive impression of him in others, those others, being 'normal' will likely believe him and believe there is a connection there, and yet, for him, there is none. What Cooper should have asked him is: "So, you have this learned morality, a set of rules that you know you should follow, but behind it, there may be no personal motivation in you to follow those rules, in fact, there may be a personal motivation to break those rules. So does that ever manifest? Is there ever any conflict in you in that respect and how strong is that conflict?"

Monotonic and I just discovered this video featuring Mr. Fallon on "The Big Think". :rolleyes: Definitely creepy.

I definitely see what you mean about the subtle implication that "psychopaths have good traits". What I find curious in the video is how he claims he asked basically everyone who knew him and they all told him they thought he was a borderline psychopath. A bit hard for me to believe that everyone around him would know it in those terms and be accepting and so forth. Sounds made up?

In any case, getting education about psychopathy from a psychopath is not a good idea, I would think.

Wasn't there another guy who was discussed on the forum who wrote a book or was in a documentary about how he was a "narcissist"? I recall in that discussion it was estimated that he was actually a full-blown psychopath (if you can separate the two) based on some clues including the effects that interviewing him had on the documentary staff. ?

HowToBe said:
Wasn't there another guy who was discussed on the forum who wrote a book or was in a documentary about how he was a "narcissist"? I recall in that discussion it was estimated that he was actually a full-blown psychopath (if you can separate the two) based on some clues including the effects that interviewing him had on the documentary staff. ?

You're probably thinking of Sam Vaknin - https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,8381.0.html

Heimdallr said:
HowToBe said:

You're probably thinking of Sam Vaknin - https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,8381.0.html

Yes, that's the one. [Edit: typo]

Back
Top Bottom