Scarlett's Bone broth

MK Scarlett

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I share with you the specific recipe I use for bone broth.

BONE BROTH WITH MARROW BONE, FEET OF PORK and CROSS OF VEAL

Ingredients

- 12 to 15 marrow bones (according to the size).
- 3 to 5 feet of pork (according to the size).
- 1 or 2 cross of veal (it is the knee bone).
- Salt, pepper, turmeric, ginger, mixed herbs of Provence (thyme, laurel, rosemary), or quite different spices or herbs which would have your favor.

Preparation of the recipe

Put the feet of pork, marrow bones and cross of veal in a big pot.
Cover it totally with cold water, close the pot and put it over a low heat for at least 12 hours.

When time is up, get out the feet of pork, the marrow bones, the cross of veal and all what is substantial (including the most little bones from the feet pig) and put them in a large hollow dish. Let cool.

In the broth which is waiting for in the pot, add 2 to 3 liter of water according to the quantity lost during the cooking.
Add some lard/fat of duck (the quantity depends on the wished result: more or less fat). Put back over a low heat.

Once feet of pork and bones are cool enough to put it your hands, separate the elements:

- If you use a mixer/blender, put the marrow and the gelatin of bones in it and also the feet pork skinned by any bone.

- If you use a hand-blender, put the marrow and the gelatin of bones in another large hollow dish and also the feet pork skinned by any bone.

Be careful, some feet pork bones are very small and they could damage knives of your mixer.
The feet of pork also can be skinned, but it is not an obligation.

Add in the plat or in the mixer (depends of what you use to) salt and pepper; and turmeric, ginger, mixed herbs of Provence.

Mix the whole until obtain a kind of foam.

Prepare 6 or 7 glass jars (kind of canning) of a volume of 1 liter and distribute the foam in each jar.
At this time of the preparation, you can add some butter, either directly in every jar, or in the pot which still has the broth waiting (the butter will not have cooked and will have kept all its nutriments).

Then distribute the broth in each jar and close them.

Wait until they have totally cooled and put them in the fridge.
The bone broth so obtained can be kept in the cold for at least 15 days.
Of course, they also can be canned!

---------------------------------------------------------------​

Hereafter a picture of this bone broth when it is cooled.​

Have a good meal ! :cool2:

Thank you very much MK Scarlett for sharing your recipe!
I have already taken note of it and I will try. I guess you use only fresh bones. In my case I usually use a stale pork bone, I like the taste that brings you. :)

Ariadna said:
Thank you very much MK Scarlett for sharing your recipe!
I have already taken note of it and I will try. I guess you use only fresh bones. In my case I usually use a stale pork bone, I like the taste that brings you. :)

Gawan said:
Thanks for sharing and is something I really like to try!

You're most welcome as I should have done it before!
I just forgot to include the possibility to add some cider vinegar for a better assimilation/digestion of the fat. ;)

Gawan said:
Thanks for sharing and is something I really like to try!

Thanks MK Scarlett for sharing your recipe.

It does look quite tasty.

Today we made a batch of MK Scarlett's bone broth. We didn't use the same spices as she recommended because some people in the house are sensitive to them. Instead, we added a bit of garlic, onion, salt and pepper. And some canned mushrooms. It came out really good!

I personally like it waaayy better than plain bone broth. It's like a mushroom cream soup, and very filling. We have our standard broth and the new one in the kitchen, so people can choose which one to drink.

Thanks for this great recipe MK Scarlett! The pig feet and the knee bone really make a difference. You can tell there is more fat and cartilage than with just the marrow bones.

Chu said:
I personally like it waaayy better than plain bone broth. It's like a mushroom cream soup, and very filling. We have our standard broth and the new one in the kitchen, so people can choose which one to drink.

Totally agree with you Chu. It is totally deliciousssssssssssssssssssssss!

Gandalf said:
Chu said:

Totally agree with you Chu. It is totally deliciousssssssssssssssssssssss!

I'm glad you tried it with success! And I must add that when I drink mine in the morning I often am not very hungry after it, and I remember that, at the beginning of my KD (twenty months ago!), I did not feel starving by only drink my bone broth during fasting. It is really more nourishing and perfect for the short periods of fast.

I made the three last ones by adding a foot of veal and as it is bigger than the pork one, I only put two feets pork. It has a bit different tast, but very good too, and even more gelatinous.

I did not try the Acid Yazz's recipe about choco with bone broth, but I am pretty sure that feet of veal could be perfect to do this kind of recipe because of the jelly. Maybe three or four feet of veal (cut in two parts, because they are big!) and some bones: choco-jelly for a dessert... ;)

Edit: Spelling

Thanks for the recipe Scarlett! Will definitely be trying this out as I have some pig trotters in the freezer that desperately need to be put to good use!

cheers for the recipe got 4 pig feet delivered this morning frozen have them defrosting gonna make me some broth
for the first time, :D

ill just be using pig feet and duck fat and some herbs its all i have at the moment,

I tried this recipe yesterday, although I didn't have pig's feet, which would have bee great!

Anyway, it's delicious! I changed the herbs a bit using what I had. It's like a cream, I can drink it as a soup or use it cold as a salad sauce! :D

I guess I need to add some more "cross of veal" next time, since it wasn't that gelatinous now, or maybe cook it longer... :huh:

I separated a bit of it to use it for my first Fat Bomb, but that one didn't turned out so well. :P

Yas said:
I tried this recipe yesterday, although I didn't have pig's feet, which would have bee great!

Anyway, it's delicious! I changed the herbs a bit using what I had. It's like a cream, I can drink it as a soup or use it cold as a salad sauce! :D

I guess I need to add some more "cross of veal" next time, since it wasn't that gelatinous now, or maybe cook it longer... :huh:

I separated a bit of it to use it for my first Fat Bomb, but that one didn't turned out so well. :P

Once you will use some pork's feet, you will get this gelatinous texture, no doubt on this... ;)

Thanks for the recipe! I've also switched to knee bone because it contains a lot of gelatin.
Also, it is big bones (using cow bones); with that I can make 4 liters of bone broth, after 20 hours cooking, in a 20L pot.

How it looks like (example via google)
1000000000000320000002146FBF8D9E.jpg

edit : image

Another thing : I don't put salt at the beginning. I've read once (I think on the bone broth discussion) that salt blocks the release of minerals.

jsf said:
Thanks for the recipe! I've also switched to knee bone because it contains a lot of gelatin.
Also, it is big bones (using cow bones); with that I can make 4 liters of bone broth, after 20 hours cooking, in a 20L pot.

How it looks like (example via google)
1000000000000320000002146FBF8D9E.jpg

edit : image

Another thing : I don't put salt at the beginning. I've read once (I think on the bone broth discussion) that salt blocks the release of minerals.

Great knee bone! And you're right about salt: I do not put any salt, pepper or additional herbs during the process of cooking.
I put them all in the blender with all solid parts, just before to dispatch solid and liquid in jars.

Back
Top Bottom