Marius the giraffe killed, butchered and fed to lions as children watch

Re: Marius the giraffe skinned and fed to lions as children look on

Sid said:
We put creatures like giraffe in zoos for our own entertainment, education and amazement. This automatically establishes a contract with that creature where in return of it's services we provide it with a fulfilling life, protection from predators, food and shelter. It's not much different from the relationship humans have with their pets. We give them names, an identity and refer to them as 'he' or 'she' rather than 'it'.

I agree with that and I feel the same way. Nicely put.

Sid said:
As far as children go, they are too young to be learning where the meat in the supermarket is coming from…

Well, I don't agree with that, but maybe its just a cultural thing, because I hunt all the time and my kids are always coming outside trying to help me skin, pluck and dress 'dinner'. The way I see it is humans have been hunting and eating meat for a long time. And I honestly don't see any reason to put an age limit on witnessing the process. My kids just accept it as it is, as I did when I was there age. There was no kind of trauma with me and I don't notice any in my kids. It's just dinner. However, I can understand that it might have an adverse affect to those that are not used to that kind of thing. And, I admit that the publicizing of the event didn't set well with me at all and I think you expressed why that was very well.

I agree with Sid that we have a "contract" with animals in zoos.

We also have contracts with animals we raise for food. It is a very different contract.

But it's more than that: there is a larger principle involved here, a larger context.

The problem I see is that, today, when contracts between human beings and human societies are being broken right and left, it is a very, VERY bad precedent to set for a zoo that is set up to house and protect wild animals, at the most basic level, sets the example of "it's okay to kill off one of those we are set up to protect in the act of protecting the larger herd." That's the same thing as saying "it's okay to kill off retarded people or handicapped people" because they offer no benefit to our society". When our civilization's children are so inured in violence every day, this event is an additional example of bad faith. You can't even be a relatively helpless animal in a zoo that claims to protect you without great risk.

The same is true of all the humans in society: we can do this to YOU, too, if WE decide that your genes aren't worth passing on. Nobody and no creature is safe with MAN in charge. Nature is not even a consideration. The laws of Cosmic Hospitality mean nothing.

That's the larger context.

Sid said:
davey72 said:
On the issue of letting the kids watch i am curious if anyone sees a difference between this, and feeding a mouse to a snake when kids are watching?
Hi davey72

That is a hypothetical situation eliciting a hypothetical answer which doesn't really help in the current discussion. It is almost like reducing a complex issue to simplistic situations such as "how does it compare to this..'' or "what would you do if this or that...". It doesn't work that way. How about you tell us if you see any difference in the above hypothetical situation?

OK. The reason i ask i suppose is because to me this isn't hypothetical. I have witnessed this in pet stores. They advertise the times so that anyone can come, and watch. I have even seen this advertised for the zoo as well. While i do agree with you, and Laura that we have a sort of contract, and it is pretty sad to waste a life for really , as i see it no reason; I do not see a difference with letting the kids watch this happen, and with them seeing a snake eat. That being said, there seems to be a different issue, and that is maybe desensitizing these kids to the killing of an animal when there are other options available.

Paddyjohn said:
I have been having doubts over the last few weeks about whether this network and I can fit comfortably together. Certainly I've received a great deal of less than friendly responses. No doubt that can be defended as mirroring, but I have seen mirroring on this forum that actually demonstrates the compassion behind it. Perhaps my 'straight' talking style (abrasive to some) has stimulated the type of responses I have received. But one would hope that it would have been overcome, or seen through, by ambassadors, mods and the like.

I thank you very much for the help you gave me when I first arrived. I do appreciate that.

I expect someone to come along now and say "don't let the door slam behind you" - I won't.

Paddyjohn, this sounds a lot like you not being able to deal with the somewhat harsh treatment or "straight talking" that you yourself deal out and say is sometimes necessary.

Laura said:
I agree with Sid that we have a "contract" with animals in zoos.

We also have contracts with animals we raise for food. It is a very different contract.

But it's more than that: there is a larger principle involved here, a larger context.

The problem I see is that, today, when contracts between human beings and human societies are being broken right and left, it is a very, VERY bad precedent to set for a zoo that is set up to house and protect wild animals, at the most basic level, sets the example of "it's okay to kill off one of those we are set up to protect in the act of protecting the larger herd." That's the same thing as saying "it's okay to kill off retarded people or handicapped people" because they offer no benefit to our society". When our civilization's children are so inured in violence every day, this event is an additional example of bad faith. You can't even be a relatively helpless animal in a zoo that claims to protect you without great risk.

The same is true of all the humans in society: we can do this to YOU, too, if WE decide that your genes aren't worth passing on. Nobody and no creature is safe with MAN in charge. Nature is not even a consideration. The laws of Cosmic Hospitality mean nothing.

That's the larger context.

Very good point. And while Zoos have always engaged in this kind of culling, they have always done it privately and behind closed doors. To have it now presented as something of a public spectacle for the public's "education", does not bode well as a symbol of the state of our social contracts, in particular between those authorities that rule over the masses as the zoo authorities rule over the zoo animals. All in all, it's an interesting 'marker', if a very disconcerting one.

Perceval said:
Very good point. And while Zoos have always engaged in this kind of culling, they have always done it privately and behind closed doors. To have it now presented as something of a public spectacle for the public's "education", does not bode well as a symbol of the state of our social contracts, in particular between those authorities that rule over the masses as the zoo authorities rule over the zoo animals. All in all, it's an interesting 'marker', if a very disconcerting one.

The "public spectacle is the really scary part.

No, children should not need to be protected from knowing that their meat comes from cows, pigs, chicken, other critters. I know from my own experience that it is a traumatic realization and probably should be handled very differently from how our culture does it: there should be reverence and thankfulness to the creature and this could be demonstrated to children from the earliest ages.

Killing for food is one thing; killing for food in nature between animals is another thing; killing a zoo animal and feeding it to other zoo prisoners is another thing; KILLING FOR SPECTACLE IS ENTROPIC. And sugaring it over as an "anatomy lesson" is just a full-blown paramoralism.

All this time that I've been studying Roman history and drawing comparisons between then and now, the one thing that has not been present for comparison is "killing as a spectacle." Well, that gap is no longer there. We are fully the Roman Empire now, and it IS a marker.

I think the deeper implications must be considered, and we shouldn't get lost in the more shallow ones.

For example: "The zoo is protecting endangered species."

Okay, well, how did those animals become endangered?

Or maybe: "It's wrong to keep animals in a zoo."

Well, why are they being kept there? I used to think that keeping birds in a cage is a horrible thing. After all, birds are meant to fly, and birds in a cage can't fly. Then someone said, "Except that those birds were born and bred in captivity, so they know nothing of Normal Bird Life." Well, that's true. But is it a good thing?

Okay, keeping birds in a cage also means they are protected from natural predators, they are ensured a constant food supply, and they are generally well looked-after by their humans. In return, we enjoy their singing and general birdiness. Do the birds yearn to "be free"? Well, hell's bells, do humans yearn to be free of this world? Usually not; they love it and want to soak it all in. But I don't really know, because I can't talk to birds!

My point is that we could go around in circles for years on all the details. While I love details, there are a LOT of them to consider. Zoos didn't just appear yesterday. Species didn't become endangered because of 1 simple act or event - there is always a progression, or a chain of events that led up to the defining act or the main event.

The whole thing needs to be boiled down to achieve some clarification. So, cutting through all the "fluff", I am left only with the following thought:

Technically this reality we live in is a zoo, and we're the giraffes.

:thdown:

Laura said:
We are fully the Roman Empire now, and it IS a marker.

Exactly. They also had a thing for killing giraffes for the 'entertainment' of the people. I don't know, maybe it's symbolic: giraffes are graceful, peaceful animals. It is indeed akin to killing someone who should be protected.
I find it interesting that it happens in Denmark, a country which is usually considered by the rest of Europe as so 'advanced'... Yeah, right.

Seneca, Epistles 7 THE SHORTNESS OF LIFE, xiii. 6-8 [Translation from Stoics.com]

Does it serve any useful purpose to know that Pompey was the first to exhibit the slaughter of eighteen elephants in the Circus, pitting criminals against them in a mimic battle? He, a leader of the state and one who, according to report, was conspicuous among the leaders of old for the kindness of his heart, thought it a notable kind of spectacle to kill human beings after a new fashion. Do they fight to the death? That is not enough! Are they torn to pieces? That is not enough! Let them be crushed by animals of monstrous bulk! Better would it be that these things pass into oblivion lest hereafter some all-powerful man should learn them and be jealous of an act that was nowise human. O, what blindness does great prosperity cast upon our minds! When he was casting so many troops of wretched human beings to wild beasts born under a different sky, when he was proclaiming war between creatures so ill matched, when he was shedding so much blood before the eyes of the Roman people, who itself was soon to be forced to shed more, he then believed that he was beyond the power of Nature. But later this same man, betrayed by Alexandrine treachery, offered himself to the dagger of the vilest slave, and then at last discovered what an empty boast his surname was.

Dio 39.38.1-4 [translation from E.Cary, Dio's Roman History, v. 3. (Loeb (1914)]

During these same days Pompey dedicated the theatre in which we take pride even at the present time. In it he provided an entertainment consisting of music and gymnastic contests, and in the Circus a horse-race and the slaughter of many wild beasts of all kinds. Indeed, five hundred lions were used up in five days, and eighteen elephants fought against men in heavy armour. Some of these beasts were killed at the time and others a little later. For some of them, contrary to Pompey's wish, were pitied by the people when, after being wounded and ceasing to fight, they walked about with their trunks raised toward heaven, lamenting so bitterly as to give rise to the report that they did so not by mere chance, but were crying out against the oaths in which they had trusted when they crossed over from Africa, and were calling on Heaven to avenge them. For it is said that they would not set foot upon the ships before they received a pledge under oath from their drivers that they should suffer no harm. Whether this is really so or not I do not know;....

Pliny HN 7.19-22 [Translation from H. Rackham, Pliny, Natural History (Loeb, v. 3, 1940) [from an passage describing elephants]

19. Fenestella states that the first elephant fought in the circus at Rome in the curule aedileship of Claudius Pulcher and the consulship of Marcus Antonius and Aulus Postumius, 99 B.C., and also that the first fight of an elephant against bulls was twenty years later in the curule aedileship of the Luculli.

20. Also in Pompey's second consulship at the dedication of the Temple of Venus Victrix, twenty, or, as some record, seventeen, fought in the Circus, their opponents being Gaetulians armed with javelins, one of the animals putting up a marvelous fight - its feet being disabled by wounds it crawled against the hordes of the enemy on its knees, snatching their shields from them and throwing them into the air, and these as they fell delighted the spectators by the curves they described, as if they were being thrown by a skilled juggler and not by an infuriated wild animal. There was also a marvelous occurrence in the case of another, which was killed by a single blow, as the javelin striking it under the eye had reached the vital parts of the head.

21. The whole band attempted to burst through the iron palisading by which they were enclosed and caused considerable trouble among the public. ...Pompey's elephants when they had lost all hope of escape tried to gain the compassion of the crowd by indescribable gestures of entreaty, deploring their fate with a sort of wailing, so much to the distress of the public that they forgot the general and his munificence carefully devised for their honour, and bursting into tears rose in a body and invoked curses on the head of Pompey for which he soon afterwards paid the penalty.

Laura said:
The "public spectacle is the really scary part.

No, children should not need to be protected from knowing that their meat comes from cows, pigs, chicken, other critters. I know from my own experience that it is a traumatic realization and probably should be handled very differently from how our culture does it: there should be reverence and thankfulness to the creature and this could be demonstrated to children from the earliest ages.

Killing for food is one thing; killing for food in nature between animals is another thing; killing a zoo animal and feeding it to other zoo prisoners is another thing; KILLING FOR SPECTACLE IS ENTROPIC. And sugaring it over as an "anatomy lesson" is just a full-blown paramoralism.

All this time that I've been studying Roman history and drawing comparisons between then and now, the one thing that has not been present for comparison is "killing as a spectacle." Well, that gap is no longer there. We are fully the Roman Empire now, and it IS a marker.

Well said, Laura. I don't really understand why you guys fought during four pages about this news. Miss.K, particulary. It's like you've decomposed this news into several parts, and then argued about these separates parts individually. If I borrow you comparison between girafes & cows, I think the right comparison would have been "is it normal to kill a cow for spectacle" ? Well, the answer would still have been no !

Paddyjohn said:
Your analytically objective way of deconstructing everything is starting to ring hollow with me, Obyvatel. You objectify the life out of everything. I haven't seen anything of your emotional centre. Maybe I just haven't come across posts that show it.

"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."

Paddyjohn, it's good to know and remember that those who express emotions overly and constantly are usually not the same who actually have deep feelings and emotions, and vice versa. In short, what I think you take for an 'emotional center' is just intellectual center driven by emotions, in other words: emotional thinking and stolen energy.

And hence we are at Saint-Exupery's precious gem, another quote comes to mind:

“I am looking for friends. What does that mean -- tame?"

"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties."

"To establish ties?"

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world... "

“People have forgotten this truth," the fox said. "But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed."

That's not an easy subject, but I think that's where the confusion comes from, at least partly. You become responsible for what you've tamed. There are different types of bond we develop with pets and with farm or wild animals. Different contract, if you will, and different obligations.

The whole thing is not fully pure and objective, actually it's pretty much a mess. We tend to like cute animals more than the ones we perceive as ugly, the same way as pretty people with symmetrical facial features are in general liked and trusted more. That's what Nature did to us all so to help the species survive. We can and should use our brains and make corrections in specific situations, but we can't erase it from our minds completely because it's hard-wired. Denying the bias is not a good solution either.

Another tricky issue is killing, and death in general. For a normal human being killing is never fun. If it becomes fun, it points to pathology or ponerization. But thank to our sick culture the issue became a somewhat different problem with a lot of confusion involved. On the one hand, death has been pretty much removed from our sight and life, hidden in hospitals or similar institutions, there is that cult of youth, disregard for the old ones. Most people want to forget that they will die one day. And what can be a better guidepoint and alarm clock than that? On the other hand, we are being constantly flooded with images of bloodshed and killing, day after day after day. How sick it is? How are there still some sane people on the planet? I really don't know, but I'm glad they are. But it's not surprising some of us feel confused, at least not to me.

Coming back to the problem at hand.

There are zoos, that's a fact whether we like it or not. For me personally, the world would be a little bit better without them. But they are and the people who run zoos are responsible for the animals and their well-being, at least in my eyes. If you don't need more giraffes of that blood line, don't let them breed. It's that simple. Saying that one wants them to be able to feel the instinct and have "a little bit of fun" is so thoughtless that I have no words for it. If you've made a mistake and let the baby giraffe come to this world, take a good care of it, that's your dammed responsibility and if you have to pay for it, that's okay. We all pay for our mistakes one way or another. But don't make the giraffe pay with its life.

As for the children, I think that it is completely different thing when a child grows up at a farm and different for a 'city kid'. For the latter, much better education would be spending vacations in a countryside on farms. If the kids in the zoo weren't traumatized by the show, they were probably already ponerized and stripped from their sensitivity. I think that for a healthy child, they need to be slowly and gently introduced in the subject of dying and killing to develop a possibly healthy understanding of the problem. I know, not really possible in a culture where one of first kid's toys are play stations or whatever they get to keep themselves busy.

FWIW

Laura said:

Also, if you consider the technological differences between us and the Romans, Hollywood has allowed a virtual "killing spectacle" for some time now.

Críostóir said:
Also, if you consider the technological differences between us and the Romans, Hollywood has allowed a virtual "killing spectacle" for some time now.

Yes indeed. But now, it is REAL and in your face. There is nowhere to draw a line and you can't put that genie back in the bottle.

Being part of this network, for me, is one of the most profound experiences I have undergone in my life. I had planned to end my FOTCM membership. I had 'seen' things in this forum that convinced me that the network had lost its way and that I should not be here. Then LKJ posted in this thread. She presented the reality about the dynamics involved in the interaction between 3D and 2D entities on this planet, in this dimension.

I felt a massive relief. I also realised how and why I am having such a difficult time here. I feel things on a deeper level than my conscious mind knows about. Consequently I am unable to articulate them. My 'straight talking' is in fact a desperate request for someone to tell me, clarify, just what it is that is the source of the nagging discomfort I feel every day - OSIT.

Animals - my god I love them - to the point that I am willing to confront human beings, and have done many times, on occasions physically, to defend them. I understand this is probably karmic.

Obyvatel - I don't think you would have been offended by my response to your post. But in case I am wrong (am I wrong, Obyvatel?) I apologise to you.

Perceval - yes.

Laura - I doubted you. More fool me. What you have said on this thread has not only confirmed to me that you 'know', but also shown me what I didn't know.

I am involved in Bringers of the Dawn at the moment. As well as here of course. Things seem to be happening to me that seem positive in this regard - incoming light frequency etc. I have read what you said about Bringers of the Dawn, Ra etc., so have not gone in blind. I've never been backward in shoring up my defences.

What a bloody maze.

Paddyjohn, do you react with such intensity when challenged in other areas of your life?
Are you one of those persons that deals with situations in a all or nothing fashion?
I ask because I'm getting this vibe from your posts.

Regarding the thoughts of cancellation of the membership, you would do well in remembering that the network does not strive for perfection, it strives for objectivity. So it is bound to have miss-steps along the way. But since the fundamental aim is objectivity, it always gets back in course quickly.

Back
Top Bottom