CNN Reporter Fake Video - Green Screening in Black Sea

edgitarra

Jedi Council Member
CNN is getting worse and worse at lying..this video shows how fake are the news from CNN:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/03/07/nr-watson-turkey-us-warship.cnn.html

edgitarra said:
CNN is getting worse and worse at lying..this video shows how fake are the news from CNN:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/03/07/nr-watson-turkey-us-warship.cnn.html

Yep, it is obvious that he is not really on any ship but in a studio

Not only was that shameless, it was bloody awful. Notice how he keeps his legs apart, suggesting that he's trying to keep balance. Well, if you were in that position on a ship with the boats going past (at the end of the video) & had to turn to point at them, you would pivot & check your footing. CNN & Fox news. Creating their own reality.

I'm not seeing where you think it is faked.

I noticed the microphone is pretty quiet until he pivots and the wind hits the microphone. Was that faked?

Nicolas said:
I'm not seeing where you think it is faked.

I noticed the microphone is pretty quiet until he pivots and the wind hits the microphone. Was that faked?

Check the body of the reporter, you can also search about green screening. Watch some examples, and then you will see that the edges of the
silhouette are not in clear integration with the actual footage. Even the body itself look strangely smaller in proportion with the ship. And a man standing like that on a boat, won't stand for a long time.

I must say that it don't look fake to me. It is a bit strange in movement, but could be because camera seems to be fixed to the deck. Or on the tripod, and moving together with the deck and the whole ship. Probably because it was easier to do it like that. That makes it look like ship and camera are relatively not moving (or moving together) when comparing with the sea or other ships. You can also see that when traveling in taller buses on a bumpy road, seems like your head and the bus are floating above the road.

But, then again who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if it is really done on the green screen :)

I don't see it either, nor do I see the reason why they'd do it on this occasion. If you are fixed with the lens of green screen you might be able to find artifacts in the low resolution image to support it, as the green spill on his shoulder. But on the other hand that could be ambient lighting from the sea atmospheric.

Attachments

• greenBospherus.JPG
    greenBospherus.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 205
Well, perhaps it isn't obviously fake but his body posture does give him away imo. No reaction to tight turns of the ship, etc. And since his stance is not all that stable, those turns would effect him if he were really on that ship.

Parallel said:
I don't see it either, nor do I see the reason why they'd do it on this occasion.

As for the why, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's way cheaper to use the green screen that's already right there in the studio than to pay for the transportation for a whole camera crew and the reporter to actually be there.

My 2 cents

From my own experience of holding a balance towards the bow on boats; the stiff adjustments match that of a not so sea adjusted person.
Nuke said:
As for the why, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's way cheaper to use the green screen that's already right there in the studio than to pay for the transportation for a whole camera crew and the reporter to actually be there.
I guess no one is saying that the ship footage is fake, so they have the footage from a real boat and think it's too boring without a talking head. They then rig a green screen and a reporter and employ their VFX guy to do precious matching of camera position and zooms for a one-off clip, (which by the way is a true happening and doesn't seem that pivotal), because it needs a bit of pointing, as opposed to doing a voice-over?

I'm not knowledgeable enough about video editing to tell whether it's been green-screened or is just full of artifacts, but what bugs me is that almost no wind is picked up by the microphone. The waves started to increase a bit after a while, so I'd assume there would have been some wind. The scale of the man compared to the boat also bothered me, but I think knowing the model of the boat would help discern whether it's been doctored or not.

I was on Board of different ships, and this is definitely faked imho. The movement on the see specially when the waves are involved is different as in this video.
I will go further and say that boat which he is standing on is projection too. The real boat if you standing on would move to the waves, it would produce sound.
You would see the movement of the own boat in relation to the surrounding water.

Also GLP is talking about, but my IP is banned so I can't see it. (google)

My impression is that this video 'screams' "I am fake." The boat the reporter was standing on was part of the set. The motion was wrong during the heading changes in the boats' path, and the reporter's physical organism wasn't self-correcting for balance at all, which automatically happens while on the sea, especially in swell that size.

Kris

Excellent video. Totally hilarious. Totally fake. And remember, they do it because...they can. People need to get down on the Charles Jaco clip from the first Gulf War.

Amazing camera stabilization, there. They must of had one of these on set:

kE7xE2P.gif

Back
Top Bottom