Are People Born Nice or Nasty?

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
_http://www.spring.org.uk/2014/04/are-people-born-nice-or-nasty.php

A recent study finds that at least part of people’s ‘niceness’ is in their genes.

The research from the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Irvine, published in Psychological Science, tested the genes of 711 people (Poulin et al., 2012). ...

The study’s lead author, Michel Poulin, explained the results:

“The study found that these genes combined with people’s perceptions of the world as a more or less threatening place to predict generosity.

Specifically, study participants who found the world threatening were less likely to help others — unless they had versions of the receptor genes that are generally associated with niceness.”

[The nice genes] …allow you to overcome feelings of the world being threatening and help other people in spite of those fears.” ...

In this study, ‘nice’ people were able to get over their fears to volunteer their time.

Could it be possible that it also depends on the thoughts/emotions of the mother during the 9 months of conception? Seems pretty interesting!

Although I have no science to back it up, I think there's a connections betweens the karma that a person brings into this incarnation and their genetic profile. I don't think it's a one-to-one relation but in a sense the genes can be seen as the biological expression of the person's karmic history. Seen in this light it makes a lot of sense that some people are pre-wired with a greater susceptibility for expressing niceness.

To tie in edgitarra's comment, my understanding is that our energy body which is also related to our karma is influenced by the people we interact with in general and by our family members in particular. Therefore, the thought, emotions and environment that the pregnant mother was will also effect how the genes express.

Just my two cents :)

It's hard enough to separate nature from nurture in the present, let alone the effects of nature and nurture on earlier generations and how they are transferred onto their offspring. but it's interesting to consider whether genetic predisposition to niceness is affected by, or mitigates against, the effect of trauma on a parent that gets passed along genetically to their children.

I have met nasty people who come from nasty families, sweet people who come from sweet families, and every permutation in between. Most of the offspring dispositions can be explained by seeing their familial environment. But the logic fails when we encounter genuinely decent parents and horrible children (and vice versa). While we could try to explain away the effects of environmental influence, the picture wouldn't be nearly complete without considering genetics (we aren't at a point where we can even consider metaphysical possibilities, since we have no way of identifying and measuring them). I find it fascinating to consider the possibility that there could be a genetic basis for resilience to psychological trauma as a protector of altruistic tendencies. What I hope is that it doesn't sacrifice the brains ability to retain knowledge of harm (and its sources) to retain such an important human trait.

Thanks for sharing this,
Gonzo

Looking at the authors of the study, E Alison Holman & Michael Poulin contributed on:

• Mental- and physical-health effects of acute exposure to media images of the September 11, 2001, attacks and the Iraq War.
    2013: Roxane Cohen Silver; Judith Pizarro Andersen; E Alison Holman; Daniel N McIntosh; Michael Poulin; Virginia Gil-Rivas
    Psychological science 2013;24(9):1623-34.
    Described here: https://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/repeated-exposure-to-media-images-of-traumatic-events-may-be-harmful-to-mental-and-physical-health.html

E Alison Holman also contributed to:
  • Media’s role in broadcasting acute stress following the Boston Marathon bombings
    2013: E. Alison Holman, Dana Rose Garfin, and Roxane Cohen Silver
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/12/05/1316265110.full.pdf
  • Environmental stress, oxytocin receptor gene (OXTR) polymorphism, and mental health following collective stress.
    2013: Rachel G Lucas-Thompson; E Alison Holman
    Hormones and behavior 2013;63(4):615-24.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0018506X13000500
  • Helping hands, healthy body? Oxytocin receptor gene and prosocial behavior interact to buffer the association between stress and physical health.
    2013: Michael J Poulin; E Alison Holman
    Hormones and behavior 2013;63(3):510-7.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0018506X13000202

Haven't looked much into Michael Poulin yet, but their work is quite interesting.

Gonzo

Thor said:
Although I have no science to back it up, I think there's a connections betweens the karma that a person brings into this incarnation and their genetic profile. I don't think it's a one-to-one relation but in a sense the genes can be seen as the biological expression of the person's karmic history. Seen in this light it makes a lot of sense that some people are pre-wired with a greater susceptibility for expressing niceness.

To tie in edgitarra's comment, my understanding is that our energy body which is also related to our karma is influenced by the people we interact with in general and by our family members in particular. Therefore, the thought, emotions and environment that the pregnant mother was will also effect how the genes express.

I think you are spot on with this. Though it may take a long time until science can back this up.

axj said:
Thor said:

I think you are spot on with this. Though it may take a long time until science can back this up.

There has been a discussion on this topic in karma from progenitors? exploring possible connections between Sheldrake's morphogenetic fields and the concept of karma.

obyvatel said:
axj said:
Thor said:

There has been a discussion on this topic in karma from progenitors? exploring possible connections between Sheldrake's morphogenetic fields and the concept of karma.

Thanks for the link, obyvatel :). I look forward to reading the thread

Thor said:
obyvatel said:
axj said:
Thor said:

Thanks for the link, obyvatel :). I look forward to reading the thread

Yes my thanks too. I looked at the thread earlier & it got me thinking for quite some time. I'm going to have to periodically return to it as it meshes with other threads.

My thanks also for the link obyvatel. This alongside the transgenerational effects of stress WRT stress in the When the Body Says "No" thread are topics that have been on my mind. A very broad area of discussion.

I look forward to reading more on these.

Back
Top Bottom