7.5 earthquake in Mexico

mkrnhr

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
There have been a strong earthquake today 2014/04/18 at 14:27 UTC in Mexico.
Are you okay there?

We are fine here mkrnhr, thanks for asking. It was a strong oscillatory earthquake and there were no mayor damages or issues reported so far, just a lot of scared people :P.

Luis said:
We are fine here mkrnhr, thanks for asking. It was a strong oscillatory earthquake and there were no mayor damages or issues reported so far, just a lot of scared people :P.
Thanks, fine here too, I include myself among of the scared people, the first earthquake -quite strong one- in the new apartment, I didn't felt it that strong until I looked up to see the lamps -candleholder like, swinging and swinging, I got out with the purpose to get out of the building, but I was in pyjamas and slippers as well as the neighboors, the emergency stairs are spiral stairs ones, not good decision going there, the building resisted, and that's good, the electric transformer from the block failed with a loud boom, that increased our nervous scaring state. It was ocilatory, but my legs tremble in trepidatory way, I manage to remember to breath slowly and that helped. Electricity went out until minutes back.

I did EE, yesterday couldn't do it, it helped to calm down, and to calm down from possibles coming of next earthquakes, I have to take a bath and thinking that next earthquake might suprises me in the shower, terrifies me. Yes EE had been helping into not going into those kind of thoughts.

I had been hearing in news that it was felt in many states of Mexico, pretty much half of the country.

Luis said:

Good to know you are ok! :)

irjO said:
Luis said:

Good to know you are ok! :)

Ditto!

Take good care of yourselves! :hug2:

What a scary experience! And it seems it was a big one. Hope everything is ok and no more tremblors please. Take care and thanks for the information.

Luis said:

Glad to hear you are ok.
You are very brave to face it with a smile :). Take good care!

As my husband told me yesterday night about this earthquake, I quickly jumped onto my computer and was released to know you are all safe and sound. :hug:

There had been 146 after shocks ranging 3.5-4.8, from the Seismological National Service, in the report (PDF) from this earthquake, mentions something similar as to below (_http://www.ssn.unam.mx)

_http://phys.org/news/2014-04-magnitude-earthquake-mexican-capital.html#nRlv said:
Friday's quake occurred along a section of the Pacific Coast known as the Guerrero Seismic Gap, a 125-mile (200-kilometer) section where tectonic plates meet and have been locked, meaning huge amounts of energy are being stored up with potentially devastating effects, said USGS seismologist Gavin Hayes.

The last large quake that occurred along the section was a magnitude-7.6 temblor in 1911, Hayes said.
He said scientists will be watching the area more intensely because moderate quakes such as Friday's can destabilize the surrounding sections of seismic plate and increase the chance of a more powerful temblor.

The USGS says the Guerrero Gap has the potential to produce a quake as strong as magnitude 8.4, potentially much more powerful than the magnitude-8.1 quake that killed 9,500 people and devastated large sections of Mexico City in 1985.

Logos5x5 and me and our families are all OK, good to hear you are OK too, mabar.

The earthquake was felt very strongly more towards downtown where some crystals shattered and I think it must have been quite a shock. We live more up north where earthquakes usually not impact as much, this due to being a bit more on a rocky ground.

Back
Top Bottom