Show #63 - Into the supernatural: Interview with parapsychologist Stephen Braude

Niall

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Sunday April 27th - Into the supernatural: Interview with parapsychologist Stephen Braude

This week on SOTT Talk Radio we’re interviewing Stephen Braude, philosopher, academic, parapsychologist, author and pianist. Braude is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy and former Chair of the Philosophy Department at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, past President of the Parapsychological Association, and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Scientific Exploration.

A lifelong student of psychic phenomena, Braude has written extensively on the central issues in parapsychology, publishing over 60 philosophical essays, along with 5 books, including: Immortal Remains: The Evidence for Life After Death, ESP and Psychokinesis: A Philosophical Examination, and The Gold Leaf Lady and Other Parapsychological Investigations. Stephen's sixth book, to appear summer 2014, is titled: Crimes of Reason (Rowman & Littlefield).

Broadly speaking, parapsychology is the study of mediums, telepathy, precognition, clairvoyance, psychokinesis, near-death experiences, reincarnation, and other supernatural and paranormal phenomena. Tune in from 2-4pm EST (11am-1pm PST, 8-10pm CET) as we venture into the broader reality Official Science is scared to explore!

Looking forward to this show, as well! Still have a few shows I've been meaning to catch up on, but haven't had the time recently. Got keep working my way through the shows until I'm caught up.

This sounds like an amazing show! I'm looking forward to it. Is this the philosopher mentioned by Harrison Koehli on his Blogtalk Radio Show? I'm thinking of the philosopher who made the very clear distinction concerning common sense that is "common" and the more scientific/refined common sense.

Hesper said:
This sounds like an amazing show! I'm looking forward to it. Is this the philosopher mentioned by Harrison Koehli on his Blogtalk Radio Show? I'm thinking of the philosopher who made the very clear distinction concerning common sense that is "common" and the more scientific/refined common sense.

Nope, that was David Ray Griffin. I may have mentioned Braude, too. Can't remember. Griffin wrote a book on parapsychology, too (a really good one).

Approaching Infinity said:
Hesper said:

Nope, that was David Ray Griffin. I may have mentioned Braude, too. Can't remember. Griffin wrote a book on parapsychology, too (a really good one).

You did:

AI said:
There's a philosopher named Stephen Braude who researches and writes about parapsychology. And that's exactly his point; is that he thinks that all this research is kind of useless. We're spending all this money and doing all these experiments to prove these tiny effects that a) aren't very interesting and b) we experience them all the time in life. That's the very reason we do it, is that we know that these things happen or at least we have the experience of them. I think he might argue that we've done enough experiments in the labs. Let's try to find out the really exciting stuff, the really interesting stuff, but that's a whole other topic.

The reason I bring this parapsychology stuff up is that it comes back to the mind/body problem where we ask, how do we view the mind? Do we view it as identical with the brain? Do we view it as an epiphenomenon of the brain? These really fall short of being satisfactory answers, primarily because it doesn't give any room for a causal influence of the mind. The mind can do nothing.

Hopefully on tomorrow's show we can then get straight into the really interesting stuff!

Kniall said:
You did:

AI said:
There's a philosopher named Stephen Braude who researches and writes about parapsychology. And that's exactly his point; is that he thinks that all this research is kind of useless. We're spending all this money and doing all these experiments to prove these tiny effects that a) aren't very interesting and b) we experience them all the time in life. That's the very reason we do it, is that we know that these things happen or at least we have the experience of them. I think he might argue that we've done enough experiments in the labs. Let's try to find out the really exciting stuff, the really interesting stuff, but that's a whole other topic.

The reason I bring this parapsychology stuff up is that it comes back to the mind/body problem where we ask, how do we view the mind? Do we view it as identical with the brain? Do we view it as an epiphenomenon of the brain? These really fall short of being satisfactory answers, primarily because it doesn't give any room for a causal influence of the mind. The mind can do nothing.

Hopefully on tomorrow's show we can then get straight into the really interesting stuff!

Yeah! Apparently his paper on his last few years researching the medium Kai is soon to be published in the JSE. Ectoplasm, levitation, apports. That stuff is COOL. ;) Also, just the strange and intricate ways psi pops up in everyday life: synchronicity, apparitions, etc. And how they relate to people's deep emotional lives (i.e., adaptive unconscious?). So many interesting facets to explore!

Really looking forward to this show! It sounds very interesting indeed! :)

Btw, it should be Sunday April 27th - unless my calender has gone abit strange :)

Back
Top Bottom