What is in your Probiotic... Bacillus?

Ronnie

Jedi
I search the forum for the word "Bacillus" and I see a lot of information here about Monsanto and GMO's and such. Good Job! However, I just read that it is common and can be in my Probiotics! I did not know that!....So, I had to check my bottle. None.... Well, that's a plus. I use Dr. Mercola's Complete Probiotics. 70 Billion per two caps garenteed un refridgerated / 100 Billion refridgerated with 10 strains. I wouldn't have known to check for that. I'm sure there's better out there but this one isn't bad.

Here's the article

The danger of supplementing with Bacillus subtilis!

March 7, 2014
John Brisson
Digestive Health

Bacillus Subtilis: Benefit Not Worth The Risk

I won’t recommend any probiotic that contains any strains from the Bacillus genus, including Bacillus subtilis, to my clients. I won’t even recommend the world-renowned probiotic Primal Defense. Primal Defense comes highly recommended for digestive ailments by most of the experts in the natural health blogosphere.1 I believe that the risk of supplementing with this particular “probiotic” is too great, compared to any benefit towards your health that you may possibly obtain from it. Lactobacillus plantarum would give you most of the same benefits. These benefits include being acid stable (plantarum survives stomach acid),2 being immunostimulatory,3, being an anti-inflammatory substance producing probiotic,4 and also being a bactericide (substance that eliminates opportunistic bacteria) producing probiotic as well.5 Lactobacillus plantarum would also be a much easier bacteria to eliminate if it did become opportunistic, compared to any HSO.

The most common bacteria claimed to be a probiotic in the Bacillus genus is Bacillus subtilis. Bacillus subtilis is extremely common and is found mainly in soil, in either decomposing plant matter or dirt.6 You might even recognize subtilis’s cousin from the genus Bacillus. The bacterium goes by the name Bacillus anthracis (a.k.a. anthrax!)7 Now granted, there is a big difference in the opportunistic and destructive capabilities of anthracis versus it’s gentler cousin subtilis. But, both bacteria share a common characteristic: endospores.8

yogurt

March 7, 2014
John Brisson
Digestive Health
4 Comments

I won’t recommend any probiotic that contains any strains from the Bacillus genus, including Bacillus subtilis, to my clients. I won’t even recommend the world-renowned probiotic Primal Defense. Primal Defense comes highly recommended for digestive ailments by most of the experts in the natural health blogosphere.1 I believe that the risk of supplementing with this particular “probiotic” is too great, compared to any benefit towards your health that you may possibly obtain from it. Lactobacillus plantarum would give you most of the same benefits. These benefits include being acid stable (plantarum survives stomach acid),2 being immunostimulatory,3, being an anti-inflammatory substance producing probiotic,4 and also being a bactericide (substance that eliminates opportunistic bacteria) producing probiotic as well.5 Lactobacillus plantarum would also be a much easier bacteria to eliminate if it did become opportunistic, compared to any HSO.

The most common bacteria claimed to be a probiotic in the Bacillus genus is Bacillus subtilis. Bacillus subtilis is extremely common and is found mainly in soil, in either decomposing plant matter or dirt.6 You might even recognize subtilis’s cousin from the genus Bacillus. The bacterium goes by the name Bacillus anthracis (a.k.a. anthrax!)7 Now granted, there is a big difference in the opportunistic and destructive capabilities of anthracis versus it’s gentler cousin subtilis. But, both bacteria share a common characteristic: endospores.8

Endospores are dormant, tough encapsulations that protect the bacteria from your immune system, antibiotics, antibacterials, and even probiotics. Bacteria can also lay dormant in endospores until their environment becomes favorable for faster reproduction and survival. Bacterial endospores may also become opportunistic in a host, share in a “probiotic” communal with other true probiotics for a time, or slowly replicate more endospore bacterium. Bacterial endospores can survive without nutrients for a long time and are resistant to UV radiation, desiccation, high temperatures, extreme freezing, and most chemical disinfectants.9 Since bacteria in the Bacillus genus are spore forming, it becomes hard to eliminate them if they become opportunistic. Most proponents say that the endospore aspect of subtilis is a actually a good quality in a “probiotic.” Their reasoning behind this recommendation is that since Bacillus subtilis is encapsulated in an endospore, the bacteria can survive stomach acid when ingested and propagate easily in the intestines.10 Bacillus subtilis is also known to be immunostimulatory and produces bactericides to help eliminate other bacteria.11

yogurt

March 7, 2014
John Brisson
Digestive Health
4 Comments

Endospores are dormant, tough encapsulations that protect the bacteria from your immune system, antibiotics, antibacterials, and even probiotics. Bacteria can also lay dormant in endospores until their environment becomes favorable for faster reproduction and survival. Bacterial endospores may also become opportunistic in a host, share in a “probiotic” communal with other true probiotics for a time, or slowly replicate more endospore bacterium. Bacterial endospores can survive without nutrients for a long time and are resistant to UV radiation, desiccation, high temperatures, extreme freezing, and most chemical disinfectants.9 Since bacteria in the Bacillus genus are spore forming, it becomes hard to eliminate them if they become opportunistic. Most proponents say that the endospore aspect of subtilis is a actually a good quality in a “probiotic.” Their reasoning behind this recommendation is that since Bacillus subtilis is encapsulated in an endospore, the bacteria can survive stomach acid when ingested and propagate easily in the intestines.10 Bacillus subtilis is also known to be immunostimulatory and produces bactericides to help eliminate other bacteria.11

In the rare case that subtilis became opportunistic, it would be almost impossible to eliminate using standard antimicrobials. Antimicrobials that are used in eliminating Bacillus infections, that include both conventional antibiotics and natural antibacterial agents, both have issues in treating a Bacillus opportunistic infection successfully on their own. 12 Biofilm chelators need to be used to help break down the bacterial endospores so that antimicrobial agents can eliminate the opportunistic Bacillus infections. This is the main reason why I am reluctant to recommend this probiotic, because if Bacillus subtilis becomes opportunistic it can be very hard to eliminate from the body.

There are a few known clinical case studies that mention opportunistic Bacillus infections occurring in patients with compromised immune systems.13 14 15 16 One of the case reports theorizes that the main reason for such few reports of infection is that Bacillus subtilis is recognized by most medical professionals as a safe bacteria. Therefore the bacteria isn’t tested in the cause of disease or death in most potentially infected patients. One study also mentions that Bacillus subtilis may cause liver toxicity in some people.17 Most proponents will say that it is fine to supplement with Bacillus subtilis, because unless your immune system is compromised or it becomes opportunistic, then it is a beneficial intestinal probiotic. The problem with this idea is that no one can predict when their immune system may become compromised.

yogurt

March 7, 2014
John Brisson
Digestive Health
4 Comments

In the rare case that subtilis became opportunistic, it would be almost impossible to eliminate using standard antimicrobials. Antimicrobials that are used in eliminating Bacillus infections, that include both conventional antibiotics and natural antibacterial agents, both have issues in treating a Bacillus opportunistic infection successfully on their own. 12 Biofilm chelators need to be used to help break down the bacterial endospores so that antimicrobial agents can eliminate the opportunistic Bacillus infections. This is the main reason why I am reluctant to recommend this probiotic, because if Bacillus subtilis becomes opportunistic it can be very hard to eliminate from the body.

There are a few known clinical case studies that mention opportunistic Bacillus infections occurring in patients with compromised immune systems.13 14 15 16 One of the case reports theorizes that the main reason for such few reports of infection is that Bacillus subtilis is recognized by most medical professionals as a safe bacteria. Therefore the bacteria isn’t tested in the cause of disease or death in most potentially infected patients. One study also mentions that Bacillus subtilis may cause liver toxicity in some people.17 Most proponents will say that it is fine to supplement with Bacillus subtilis, because unless your immune system is compromised or it becomes opportunistic, then it is a beneficial intestinal probiotic. The problem with this idea is that no one can predict when their immune system may become compromised.

A possible scenario when one’s immune system could become compromised is as follows. You could possibly get into a massive car accident, and because of an injury to your intestinal area, your immune system would become compromised. You are then given antibiotics to stop sepsis. From taking the antibiotics, you destroy your natural probiotic gut flora. Bacillus subtilis survives. because it is in a protective spore, and later becomes opportunistic. Antibiotics are then rendered ineffective due to the bacterial endospores, and you die from the opportunistic Bacillus subtilis infection. Don’t believe that it is possible that this scenario can happen? Just replace Bacillus subtilis with another endospore bacterium, Clostridium.18 Clostridium also sometimes becomes opportunistic during massive antibiotic use and it then becomes the super-infection Clostridium difficile ,which may also be very deadly to treat.

March 7, 2014
John Brisson
Digestive Health

More Here
http://fixyourgut.com/hso-probiotics-part-2-danger-supplementing-bacillus-subtilis/

Hi Ronnie,

your posts seem to consists kind of duplets and triplets of the same article though to the end the article gets complete with added paragraphs. Anyway, I think since most probiotics are made with milk products are highly questionable then, cause of casein for example: Why Milk Is So Evil. But the one you are using seems good indeed since it is free of the common evils: diary, gluten, soy, sugar and as you wrote from the bacillus subtilis... But depends then on which diet you are on and if there probiotics are worth taking.

With that, have you had a chance to read with the most important health topics, like: "Life Without Bread" and Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Hello Gawan....
Yes, What a wonkie post eh?... I wasn't able to edit or retract it so there it is. I posted an apology but I don't know where that went.

Yes, I became aware of "The yeast connection" in 1988, along with mold as in blue and brie cheeses, soy, beer and wine, sugar and "The evils of Milk". I have been relatively healthy, healthier that most but now it seems I've gone and broken my toe about 4 days back. I must find some comfrey! About my diet, I must say, I came to the table late on this one. I suppose because it said, "Diet". I'm not a dieter. I eat meat, meat, and a lot of meat. Green veggies, some potato. I wouldn't say I'm non dairy... I do use cream and I enjoy a sour cream, cream cheese and garlic dipping sauce with a good piece of meat.

Back
Top Bottom