SoTT - New visual format

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Perhaps I missed this elsewhere: Just noticed in the last two days the SoTT format change to subsections (photo as a header).

Think the overall format is very good; certainly adds a good visual identifier to each sections. :thup:

voyageur said:
Perhaps I missed this elsewhere: Just noticed in the last two days the SoTT format change to subsections (photo as a header).

Think the overall format is very good; certainly adds a good visual identifier to each sections. :thup:

I agree, It's very good and catchy for the eye :headbanger:

Yes I'm "feeling" the new changes too! I was thinking how good it is the other day and I wanted to just voice my appreciation. (didn't really want to start a new thread tho) Surely everyone (regulars mostly) will be in agreement with the "update." Merci beaucoup! :thup:

Pashalis said:
voyageur said:

Indeed! It's just so cool. :D

Zadius Sky said:
Pashalis said:
voyageur said:

Indeed! It's just so cool. :D

It is very nice. I first saw it on my phone the other day and thought something was wrong with it. When I saw it on a bigger screen confusion was replaced with pleasure. :)

Yes, I like it. It seems to draw one's attention to that particular section.
As the saying goes: "A picture is worth a thousand words." :)

Yeah I like it too. I seem to be drawn more to news headlines that contain large enough pictures in any website.

I'm kind of neutral about this new format. On the one hand it makes the home page more lively and attractive (in more ways than one) but what nags me is the flaw in the system: when a new headline is added to a section which doesn't have a catching photograph to accompany it, the picture of the previous headline stays on top but evidently has no relevance to the new headline which immediately follows it.

That's rather disorienting, at least to me. I discovered that hovering your cursor over the picture reveals the proper headline it is connected with but it took me some time to figure that out.

I would rather prefer a system which saves the connection between picture and corresponding headline at all times, which would mean that new headlines without a matching photograph would have to automagically come second in line in stead of on top of their respective categories; but I don't know whether something like that would technically be feasible.

Nevertheless, congrats with this innovation. :rockon:

Palinurus said:
I'm kind of neutral about this new format. On the one hand it makes the home page more lively and attractive (in more ways than one) but what nags me is the flaw in the system: when a new headline is added to a section which doesn't have a catching photograph to accompany it, the picture of the previous headline stays on top but evidently has no relevance to the new headline which immediately follows it.

That's rather disorienting, at least to me. I discovered that hovering your cursor over the picture reveals the proper headline it is connected with but it took me some time to figure that out.

I would rather prefer a system which saves the connection between picture and corresponding headline at all times, which would mean that new headlines without a matching photograph would have to automagically come second in line in stead of on top of their respective categories; but I don't know whether something like that would technically be feasible.

Well the point of it was not to have a corresponding headline image to any article in particular. The image is a header image for the entire category topic more than anything else, even if it does come from an article and is hyperlinked to one. In theory, any image from any article in the category would be representative (hopefully) of the category name.

Perceval said:
Palinurus said:

Well the point of it was not to have a corresponding headline to any article in particular. The image is a header image for the category topic more than anything else, even if it does come from any article and is hyperlinked to one. In theory, any image from any article in the category would be representative (hopefully) of the category name.

Yeah, I personally didn't find it off-putting at all. Such a simple change, but it jazzes up the site so much!

Approaching Infinity said:
Yeah, I personally didn't find it off-putting at all. Such a simple change, but it jazzes up the site so much!
I agree! As has been said before 'Peeps love pictures' ;) it really does jazz up the site!

I find it mostly distracting, another obstacle, though I find the pics useful in the top section before the subsections. About the only site I find the pics/charts useful is zerohedge site, as they help you determine whether to hit the linked story or not.... you can't check out all of them, and you edit as you go, so it depends on what the reason for the change is... perhaps a different presentation of left/right columns? It depends on how users use the site... I mostly check the new stories list on the right, then glance at the main stories, which are usually repeats from the day before and therefore can be ignored, and scan down to the subsections looking for the new listings. Since I'm scanning, the pics get in the way, slow down the processing etc. I stated before, the tiny pics/charts/graphs beside the story listing(short summary) on zerohedge is perhaps the best that I use on a regular basis.... as it's mostly the new stories on top, and it's easy to run through a page or two until you reach the spot where you stopped the day before... or whenever you last checked the site. The top, bottom and sides there are easily ignored for one scanning the pages, and even reading the page linked, as it's in the same style.

I think with the pictures under the headers the page looks overcrowded and it's mostly distracting. If someone wants to browse the articles that's what the link 'more recent news' under each subsection is for. There are the pictures with begining of the article and also comments from editors. The pictures on the main page under the headers are redundant and off-putting.

Yeah, I like it too. Congratulations for the thinkers, designers, programmers, developers & producers! :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom