Modify edit help

David

Jedi Master
A little help required... in modifying post.

In the Psychology & Cognitive Science Board – In the ‘Are You a Jerk and oblivious to the Fact?’ thread - Post Reply #23

If it’s not to much trouble to remove the inverted commas from I at the end of the first paragraph.

It's the only I with inverted commas

modify function would be so useful, I can dream :P

Davida said:

The modify function exits for 30 minutes after your post.

After that, only mods can modify the posts.

Gandalf said:
Davida said:

The modify function exits for 30 minutes after your post.

After that, only mods can modify the posts.
I have just got to the magic mark of 50 posts and I am very glad to see the "Modify" option appear. I do not think I am capable of writing anything without finding some typo or other fault in it after it has been irretrievably posted. It is a frustrating glitch in my processing. Something that Anart, for instance, used to find a very bad sign. Without the spelling checker my posts would be pretty shameful and using the "Preview" function only helps a bit. While writing and composing something my mind seems to be in one mode which is blind to grammar and spelling, orthography and presentation but when that activity has stopped and I am just reading such faults jump out. Sometimes with a glaring immediacy quite at odds with my earlier perception.

This is not the subject for this board, so to come back to the matter in hand - even though I will now have 30 minutes to modify a new post, I suspect there may well be occasions on which I will wish to change it after that point. Is there any advice on the best way to contact a Mod for help with this? It often seems to me that a request in the middle of a thread only adds unwanted noise. Is sending a Message a better choice?(I have recently done this actually). And if a Message is better, how do you choose the appropriate Mod? Do different Mods look after different boards? If so, whom? Or will anyone with "Moderator/Super Moderator over their avatar do? And what do the Mods think is a change worthy of their time and effort? Just because I have used the same word three times in four sentences and have now finally thought of a better synonym (and I would indeed make the change if I had the opportunity) does not seem a fit reason for bothering a busy person. Yet if the post is later found to contain some actual errors of greater import, errors of fact or deduction maybe, then a new post might be a better vehicle for righting (that is a pun BTW) the fault. Is there some general heuristic in use here that would be a guide to the appropriate course to take? Doing a quick search across the forum for these sorts of requests makes me think that some sort of guideline might, over time, be helpful to more than just me.

Finally, on exactly this subject, I do have an old post which I would like to ask to be altered, and I do think I have a valid reason for the request and would indeed be very grateful if a Mod could make the change for me. So I am looking forward to some advice on the appropriate course to take.

Below each post is a link "Report to moderator". I used this once to ask to delete one of my posts, which was doubled accidentally. The double post was deleted. Thank you moderator team.

I cannot say what you can ask for with this possibility, though. I assume there are limits. (I think normally it could be used when you see something really wrong or against law etc..)

You can quote your original post and make adjustments in the new post together with some explanation why you want to do changes.

panca kanga said:
I have just got to the magic mark of 50 posts and I am very glad to see the "Modify" option appear. I do not think I am capable of writing anything without finding some typo or other fault in it after it has been irretrievably posted. It is a frustrating glitch in my processing. Something that Anart, for instance, used to find a very bad sign. Without the spelling checker my posts would be pretty shameful and using the "Preview" function only helps a bit. While writing and composing something my mind seems to be in one mode which is blind to grammar and spelling, orthography and presentation but when that activity has stopped and I am just reading such faults jump out. Sometimes with a glaring immediacy quite at odds with my earlier perception.

This is not the subject for this board, so to come back to the matter in hand - even though I will now have 30 minutes to modify a new post, I suspect there may well be occasions on which I will wish to change it after that point. Is there any advice on the best way to contact a Mod for help with this? It often seems to me that a request in the middle of a thread only adds unwanted noise. Is sending a Message a better choice?(I have recently done this actually). And if a Message is better, how do you choose the appropriate Mod? Do different Mods look after different boards? If so, whom? Or will anyone with "Moderator/Super Moderator over their avatar do? And what do the Mods think is a change worthy of their time and effort? Just because I have used the same word three times in four sentences and have now finally thought of a better synonym (and I would indeed make the change if I had the opportunity) does not seem a fit reason for bothering a busy person. Yet if the post is later found to contain some actual errors of greater import, errors of fact or deduction maybe, then a new post might be a better vehicle for righting (that is a pun BTW) the fault. Is there some general heuristic in use here that would be a guide to the appropriate course to take? Doing a quick search across the forum for these sorts of requests makes me think that some sort of guideline might, over time, be helpful to more than just me.

Finally, on exactly this subject, I do have an old post which I would like to ask to be altered, and I do think I have a valid reason for the request and would indeed be very grateful if a Mod could make the change for me. So I am looking forward to some advice on the appropriate course to take.

Hi panca kanga, mistakes happen and everybody does them. The editing time of 30 minutes has it's reasons and if there are heated discussions going on with many quotes from other members it could become a tedious work for us mods changing everything if someone finds a mistake and this mistake was quoted all along. Though don't be too hard on yourself and may consider the context if this "mistake" you have done is really severe or if it is just a typo. Severe in this sense would be, writing your full name, address and email address in the public area or any other personal data from you or other persons. Nonetheless as Dirgni pointed out you could use "report to moderator" and some of us mods does take then care of it, though no personal messaging is needed.

And about your specific post you could use this function for example.

I hope this helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom