Iron John – development of the masculine

paralleloscope

The Living Force
A simple book about the development of manhood, interpreted via archetypes, myths and fairytales, and in in particular through the parable ’Iron John’ [Eisen Hans] as told by brothers Grimm. Iron John is an archtype characterized as the ’wild man’, an element which is missing in many ways in modern male development.

Robert Bly starts out by outlining the change from the 50’s non-crying and bread-winning american role model to the 60’s softer male, which he connects to the awareness of the women's movement and and of lies of the Vietnam war. Men started on a large scale to explore their feminine side, denouncing patriarchal violence (which Bly describes as non matured male-hood, he doesn’t describe pathology) and in general also started recognizing deeper values of women, and outwardly becoming gentler and more thoughtful. The book picks up on the now well spread ’soft male’ type in the 90’s , who has become more sympathetic to the universe and ’holistically thinking’, but something still didn’t seem right. This male role, though having become receptive didn’t seem able to give life. The new soft masculine mode had adopted the findings of the feminine exploration, and while women were gaining new found strength many also started preferring the new soft male.

Yet the new sensitive mode made it clear that there was an immense grief (from both sexes) of ’too little father’, as well as some misfit for the male psyche with the borrowed feminine suit of strengths. The tables had in some ways turned on who could be fierce and demonstrate resolve. Males became in many ways paralyzed to matters of the world and compensated for the missing elements with ascendant flight of mind, much in line with the sanitized and emasculated male spiritual icons of modern age.

Our modern western culture has of course forgotten everything about the importance of maturity and knowledge of growing up and what forces need to confronted in puberty, where the boy is naturally trying to challenge the lay of lands (to cut the cord to the protective mother) and take a radical step toward becoming a man. But the traditional knowledge given by a community of older and wiser men is not there, as they, along with the guiding father figure have disappeared alongside industrialized society, where the father was taken away from the family. It became rarer for the father to teach the son a trade and ways to be a man other than haphazardly and in stereotypical notions. Bly makes a point that if we are to make room for our own positive male values we must also recognize the positive in our own dad and earlier generations (despite their narcissism and immaturity), which have been clouded and teased out of us through especially the media, which in many ways up through the 20th century generally has portrayed the father as incompetent.

The (missing) initiation into manhood in a nutshell is about breaking with the mothers safety and protection, being set apart and introduced to what it means being a male, taking care of business, bringing nourishment, becoming aware of the pain of embodiment and male separation (a concept and knowing the family/tribe/culture’s legacy, history and what it holds sacred, bonding with the natural environment of which one is a part of.

Robert Bly said:
During the long months the son spent in the mother’s body, his body got well tuned to female frequencies: it learned how a woman’s cells broadcast, who bows to whom in that resonant field, what animals run across the grassy clearing, what the body listens for at night, what the upper and lower fears are. How firmly the son’s body becomes, before birth and after, a good receiver for the upper and lower frequencies of the mother’s voice! The son either tunes to that frequency or he dies.

Now, standing next to the father, as they repair arrowheads, or repair ploughs, or wash pistons in gasoline, or care for birthing animals, the son’s body has the chance to retune. Slowly, over months or years, that son’s body strings begin to resonate to the harsh, sometimes demanding, testily humorous, irreverent, impatient, opinionated, forward-driving, silence-loving older masculine body. Both male and female cells carry marvellous music, but the son needs to resonate to the masculine frequency as well as the female frequency.

Sons who have not received this returning will have the father-hunger all their lives. I think calling the longing ’hunger’ is accurate: the young man’s body lacks salt, water or protein, just as a starving person’s body and lower digestive tract lack protein. If it finds none, the stomach will eventually eat up the muscles themselves. Such hungry sons hang around older men like the homeless do around a soup kitchen. Like the homeless, they feel shame over their condition, and it is nameless, bitter and unexpungeable shame.

Women cannot, no matter how much they sympathize with their starving sons, replace the particular missing substance. The son later may try to get it from a woman his own age, but that doesn’t work either.

Since above scenario of father bonding is a rare one these days, either because dad is away at the office factory and/or he is too narcissistic to let the son come this close, there is ample chance the boy develops a passive, numb and naive approach to life, from being unable to disengage from being wrapped up in the mothers protective influence as well as still holding the adult optic on emotional perception, especially upon the father, which will reinforce gender misunderstandings as well as his twisting his odds in own man/fatherhood. The chapter on Naivety is very interesting and ties in with shameful narcissistic wounds, denial, gullibility, sincerity with everyone, wishful thinking, lack of boundaries and covert depression.

The fairytale of Iron John starts with a brave hunter who is summoned by a king to go capture whatever force is swallowing animals and humans in the nearby forest. The perpetrator Iron John, a great hairy wild man, is retrieved from the bottom of a pond by emptying it, and locked in a cage in the middle of the castle courtyard. The young prince of the castle’s golden ball rolls into the cage and Iron John offers him a deal; the ball for the key to the cage, which is hidden below the queens pillow. The young prince retrieves the key and unlocks the cage and his finger is hurt. The prince decides to run away with Iron John as the punishment for dispelling the kings display of the caged wild man would be severe.

Iron John or the hairy wild man archetype is described as primal, sexual (not possesive), instinctive or ’deep male’ , which is not scared of risk taking or sticking out. The boy (prince) accepts the wild mans mentorship by running away with him from the castle (society segregated from nature), but only after loosing his golden ball (childhoods perceived unity of person), acknowledging that it had gone and making the sacrifice of taking the key below mothers pillow (cutting away from mothers posessiveness) and receiving the symbolical childhood wounding (finger).

The boy is given tests which he fails and must part from living with Iron John in the forest, but not without seeing something in his own nature and acquired golden hair (spiritual strength which must remain hidden until the time is ripe wield it with a mature mind). The hooded boy sets off to a town and castle and starts making his way at the lowest rung in society (kitchen duty) in a nearby town. This stage is called the road of ashes; being taken underground to pay ones dues, working ones way up in society and ’learning to shudder’ (developing conscience). In a parallel vein there is the theme of katabasis; descent from former high status to a lower one, to deflate ones grandiosity, inflated ideas and other illusions, (re)learning the basics.

The boy develops through other stages like 'the garden' (developing and refining knowledge and being) and developing relationships with archetypes like the warrior, the lover, and the king (on different levels and orientations) before he can emerge as a man to stand on his own, but only with help of Iron John (healthy and tuned instincts).

What the essence of masculine is, is still kind of blurry to me, apart from some sense of being protector, provider, and progenitor. The book describes the man as set apart, from the woman and family, on the perimeter of the family. Whether or not that is a natural state of masculine energy, I don't know. The book's mix of archetypes and anecdotes was interesting and came at the right moment for me, with standing questions on how to connect with injured instincts. And especially curious about male identity from following quote in the covert depression:

I don't Want to Talk About It said:
For most boys, the achievement of masculine identity is not an acquisition so much as a disavowal. When researchers asked girls and women to define what it means to be feminine, the girls answered with positive language: to be compassionate, to be connected, to care about others.

Boys and men, on the other hand, when asked to describe masculinity, predominantly responded with double negatives. Boys and men did not talk about being strong so much as about not being weak. They do not list independence so much as not being dependent. They did not speak about being close to their fathers so much as about pulling away from their mothers. In short, being a man generally means not being a woman. As a result, boys’ acquisition of gender is a negative achievement. Their developing sense of their own masculinity is not, as in most other forms of identity development, a steady movement toward something valued so much as a repulsion from something devalued. Masculine identity development turns out to be not a process of development at all but rather a process of elimination, a successive unfolding of loss. Along with whatever genetic proclivities one might inherit, it is this loss that lays the foundation for depression later in men’s lives.

The book is informative on why masculinity has become an abstract thing based on flimsy stereotypes (and why it means not being a woman) because of the missing education and guidance. Well, along with the unconscious way we bring up our children; no notion of what is good for them and instead give them: TV, crap diets, mind-programming schools and other undigested lies. Genders are to be complementary, not identical, as the current cultural programming goes with its push to make genders equal (the false androgyne).

I looked up the Iron John parable on Wikipedia and I wonder if there is more to it than just a model for masculinity. It almost sounds alchemical or esoteric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_John said:
Again the prince asks Iron John for help, and again Iron John disguises the prince as the mysterious knight. Though the prince catches the golden apple and escapes, and does so again on two more occasions, he is eventually found. The prince is returned to his former station, marries the princess, and is happily reunited with his parents. Iron John too comes to the wedding, but now without the shaggy hair or iron skin that made him frightening. He reveals he was under enchantment until he found someone worthy and pure of heart to set him free.

I wonder if this is describing a man "on the steps" who was slipping, and then was helped by putting someone on the step below him. I wonder if this theme could apply in many instances in folklore where a "pure heart" is being sought after?

monotonic said:
I looked up the Iron John parable on Wikipedia and I wonder if there is more to it than just a model for masculinity. It almost sounds alchemical or esoteric.
Yes, Bly is of that observance too, that myths and fairytales are indeed alchemical, showing the archetypes in play for individuation.

monotonic said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_John said:
Again the prince asks Iron John for help, and again Iron John disguises the prince as the mysterious knight. Though the prince catches the golden apple and escapes, and does so again on two more occasions, he is eventually found. The prince is returned to his former station, marries the princess, and is happily reunited with his parents. Iron John too comes to the wedding, but now without the shaggy hair or iron skin that made him frightening. He reveals he was under enchantment until he found someone worthy and pure of heart to set him free.

I wonder if this is describing a man "on the steps" who was slipping, and then was helped by putting someone on the step below him. I wonder if this theme could apply in many instances in folklore where a "pure heart" is being sought after?

I thought of Iron John un-hexed (he gradually ascends into freedom throughout the story) as knowledge retrieved, which protects and rewards the finder as well as making it more accessible for others who follow. If the Prince (now king) is a just and wise ruler he will set others on the step behind him. Like Ceasar being a mass inspiration, by retrieving the archetypes of clemency and justice for all, balancing sacred, political, and personal kingship. But of course archetypes work on a smaller scale too, and freeing the wild man in many ways reflects working with ones shadow side by gaining knowledge, releasing its ignored mechanical consequences and learning how to Be and Do.

seems a rather disconnected way to approach an understanding of the Archetypes, but then perhaps that is Bly's manner of reconnecting to himself? as representative of the zeitgeist of his time?

gdpetti said:
seems a rather disconnected way to approach an understanding of the Archetypes, but then perhaps that is Bly's manner of reconnecting to himself? as representative of the zeitgeist of his time?
Not sure what in particular you are addressing, but it could maybe be helpful to hear your take on it? Bly doesn't mention their use in his personal life, but he uses them as a way to decode story lines and illustrate patterns that we can be guided by. He gives no absolute answers, but mentions many mythological figures and anthropological anecdotes to look at the problem of the masculine state and simultaneously interpret the Iron John story to be one of male individuation (without being Jungian). By the way; the analysis of the sad state of today's male, was in part mine and part his which he didn't derive from archetypes, just a reason why the ancient story is relevant.

I haven't done much study on archetypes, but in simple my understanding is: That they are constellations of dynamics in our collective unconscious. We cannot become or contain them (even though they define us), only temporarily mirror or resonate with their qualities. We can use their complimentary/ contrary qualities/paths as told in dreams, myths and fairytales to mirror psychological elements, on a conscious, subconscious and energetic level (the energetic thing is perhaps a personal assumption).

Related and Interesting: Instinct and Archetype thread connecting archetypes to information fields.

I absolutely love this book. It's like a Bible to me. I've read it 4 times. I've bought multiple copies and given them away to men whom I thought would appreciate it. I would recommend all men read it.

Parallel said:
What the essence of masculine is, is still kind of blurry to me, apart from some sense of being protector, provider, and progenitor. The book describes the man as set apart, from the woman and family, on the perimeter of the family. Whether or not that is a natural state of masculine energy, I don't know.

This is a good and important topic, though not easy to verbalize.

I think the essence of the masculine is assertiveness (taking action/focusing/doing) while the essence of the feminine is receptivity (being/receiving/intuition/mystery).

The great thing about this book ajx, is that it describes what it means to be a man throughout all of his stages of development. It offers a very nuanced view of manhood, and introduces the reader to ideas regarding manhood which the reader might never encounter from other men, or from media and pop culture, which only shows us dumbed-down, cliche ideas of manhood.

Back
Top Bottom