Requirements for health insurance at my job

Angchop

Jedi Council Member
The company I work for offers different levels of insurance ranging in different prices. They are listed as bronze level, silver, gold and platinum. In the past years we could pick any one of them we wanted. If we wanted to qualify for certain discounts, we would get health "credits" and our premiums would be cheaper. This entailed answering some questions online, and that was it. You get credits by not smoking, not being overweight,etc.

This year it's different. If we want to have a choice on which level of insurance we want, we have to get a wellness screening. In person. At our place of business. This happened last week. We had to get weighed, our height checked, and our blood taken. If we chose not to participate, we would have no choice and would only qualify for the bare minimum insurance plan.

I found this somewhat disturbing and invasive, but considering my past health issues with cancer, I kind of need the best insurance I can get. I talked with one of our managers, and he said a lot of companies were doing it and it is because of obamacare.

The blood test checked our blood sugar, cholesterol, and nicotine in our bodies. :umm:

Yes, "they" want to have total control of our health. The health screenings are at this point, optional. They are even enticing people to do the screenings by giving a discount if they participate. But they're not told if they "fail", the discount does not apply. As time passes, I believe they will be mandatory or they will cancel your coverage. The only problem with going thru these health screenings, is if they find, say your cholesterol higher than the AMA dictates, they will give a prescription for statins. If you refuse, they will also cancel your coverage or increase the rates substantially. And of course, if you smoke, the rates nearly double.

This is all just part and parcel of what is to come. SOTT recently had an article about doctors offices' being able to monitor our food purchases via credit cards or store member cards, then phoning up the patient, saying I noticed you are diabetic, but buying a lot of ice cream (for example). {I couldn't find it on a search, maybe someone else will have better luck.}

If "they" checked me out for some reason, they'd have to wonder what I eat, as I don't purchase much of anything at a grocery store and purchase my tobacco with cash. The less they can know about you digitally, the better off you are. It is, after all, an information war!

Wow, that's disgusting, and at your workplace no less!

Lilou said:
Yes, "they" want to have total control of our health. The health screenings are at this point, optional. They are even enticing people to do the screenings by giving a discount if they participate. But they're not told if they "fail", the discount does not apply. As time passes, I believe they will be mandatory or they will cancel your coverage. The only problem with going thru these health screenings, is if they find, say your cholesterol higher than the AMA dictates, they will give a prescription for statins. If you refuse, they will also cancel your coverage or increase the rates substantially. And of course, if you smoke, the rates nearly double.

What a sick racket, the whole system. Bring on the comets!

Lilou said:
as I don't purchase much of anything at a grocery store and purchase my tobacco with cash.

Until the cashless economy is taking over ...
_http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sweden-moving-towards-cashless-economy/

"I can't see why we should be printing bank notes at all anymore," says Bjoern Ulvaeus, former member of 1970's pop group ABBA, and a vocal proponent for a world without cash.

The contours of such a society are starting to take shape in this high-tech nation, frustrating those who prefer coins and bills over digital money.

In most Swedish cities, public buses don't accept cash; tickets are prepaid or purchased with a cell phone text message. A small but growing number of businesses only take cards, and some bank offices — which make money on electronic transactions — have stopped handling cash altogether.

I used to use a delivery service (of course everything is recorded online) and often wondered what "they" are thinking of someone purchasing six pounds of butter every time, but hardly anything else :D

M.T.

I don't know what company you work for but, I know that Kroger does the same health checks. I only know about Blue Cross/Blue Shield health plan. If you decided to particapate they do want a blood test. If you pass their scrootny they will add $400.00 to your health account. You can spend that at the dentist office or anywhere Blue Cross/Blue Shield is accepted.

They even called and left a taped message about some black plumbs I bought that are being recalled.

They own most everything except Safeway.

Kroger

COMPANY

Grocery retailer, originally founded 1883 by Barney Kroger. Kroger operates more than 2,500 stores under some two dozen different banners. In addition to Kroger Stores, its groceries include Cala Foods, City Markets, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug. Also owns Barclay, Fox's, Fred Meyer, and Littman jewelers, and Kwik Shop, Loaf 'N Jug, and Quik Stop convenience stores.

Note: Also, Albertson stores ... I do think this is the short list.

http://www.nndb.com/company/606/000053447/
The who's who list...

Ronnie said:
I don't know what company you work for but, I know that Kroger does the same health checks. I only know about Blue Cross/Blue Shield health plan. If you decided to particapate they do want a blood test. If you pass their scrootny they will add $400.00 to your health account. You can spend that at the dentist office or anywhere Blue Cross/Blue Shield is accepted.

They even called and left a taped message about some black plumbs I bought that are being recalled.

They own most everything except Safeway.

Kroger

COMPANY

Grocery retailer, originally founded 1883 by Barney Kroger. Kroger operates more than 2,500 stores under some two dozen different banners. In addition to Kroger Stores, its groceries include Cala Foods, City Markets, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug. Also owns Barclay, Fox's, Fred Meyer, and Littman jewelers, and Kwik Shop, Loaf 'N Jug, and Quik Stop convenience stores.

Note: Also, Albertson stores ... I do think this is the short list.

http://www.nndb.com/company/606/000053447/
The who's who list...

I did participate because I need the best option for coverage, since in the past I have had cancer and I want to be as covered as I can be. It is the Blue cross Blue shield plan. I work for a large automotive company here in WA state. I have my results already, and I didn't pass the nicotine test, nor the BMI test, so I will not be able to get those discounts on my monthly premium this next year, which added up to about 50$ a month. It is getting creepy with how everything is so controlled these days.

Well, First I'm glad your in remission now. Second, I whole heartdly agree how creepy it all is. I'd like to think the universe had a little more balance than what we can see from down here. I really have a hard time with the sts attitude of the corporate world.

My heart goes out to you Angela. I sincerely hope you can navigate successfully through this whole health care issue.
Glad you're in remission.
Best of luck and hugs. :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Here employees always have to have a health insurance independent from the company they work for. Some time ago German government made some rules that everyone could have a health insurance. Supposedly that at least some insurance companies could not reject persons and leave them without health insurance because they only have few money they can spend for this. Reading your story makes me think what the future will bring to us. :huh:

Keep your chin up Angela. Your health insurance is only doing what is best for them and the PTB and not for you. Don't get discouraged and do what you know is best for yourself and your health. Even if this means that you do not (always) play according the rules of the health insurance. We will see better times said the C's on one of the last sessions; even if we have to through creepy times and a "birth process" before. Keep going!

I am glad you made your way out of cancer. Good luck and hugs.
:hug:

FYI, any time they ask you if you smoke.... say "occasionally or socially".

I started to do that at my yearly physical for my job.
After changing from smoke daily to occasionally, the doctor stopped criticizing things.

I'm not exactly sure how they can see if you smoke a lot or not, unless they follow you around?

Divide By Zero said:

After changing from smoke daily to occasionally, the doctor stopped criticizing things.

I'm not exactly sure how they can see if you smoke a lot or not, unless they follow you around?

I was wondering about that as well. A dentist could probably tell, or not?

Here is a little information how long nicotine stays in blood, urine, hair, etc.:

How Long does It Take for Nicotine to Completely Leave the Body?

When nicotine is taken in through smoking or chewing tobacco, it is changed into cotinine in the lungs and liver before being passed out of the body in urine. Nicotine and cotinine can be detected in the blood, urine, saliva and hair.

1. Nicotine in Blood

The blood test for nicotine is very accurate.

How to Test: For a blood test for nicotine, a lab can measure either presence or absence of nicotine (or cotinine) or an absolute level of the toxins. A blood sample will be drawn for this test.

Time: The time nicotine remains in the blood will be variable depending on whether nicotine or cotinine is being tested. If the lab is testing for nicotine levels, the nicotine will typically be gone within 1-3 days after you stop using tobacco. If the lab is testing for cotinine levels, the cotinine will continue to be detectable for 1-10 days after the last use of tobacco.

2. Nicotine in Urine

Cheap and easy to do, the urine test is the most common way to test for nicotine.

How to Test: A urine sample will be collected and a test strip is then dipped into the urine for 5 minutes. This test will be either positive (cotinine is present in the urine) or negative (no cotinine is detected).

Time: Nicotine and cotinine levels in the urine are usually not detectable within 3-4 days after stopping use of tobacco products. However, for passive smokers, urine nicotine test can be positive for as long as 15 to 20 days. Cotinine may also take longer to be excreted with wastes if menthol cigarettes are used.

3. Nicotine in Saliva

This test is often considered to be the most sensitive for detection of cotinine the metabolite of nicotine.

How to Test: For this test, a saliva sample must be obtained. A test strip is soaked in the saliva for 20 minutes. This test is particularly useful because it will measure the approximate amount of nicotine that you have used.

Time: The saliva test can detect cotinine levels for up to 4 days.

4. Nicotine in Hair

Because of the length of time it takes to grow hair, measuring nicotine levels in the hair is a reliable test to determine long-term use. The down side is that it is a relatively expensive test for nicotine.

How to Test: For this test, hair should be taken as close to the scalp as possible. If possible, the hair should be pulled out of the scalp. Hair from other parts of the body can be used if your head is bald.

Time: Tests of hair follicles can be done for months after smoking. It is extremely accurate for 1-3 months after you stop smoking and nicotine may be detectable for up to a year. This is a specialized test usually used when all other forms of tests are unsatisfactory.

M.T.

I've heard of them doing this test for fire fighters in some cities.
They aren't allowed to smoke, in order to be able to get disability or other health issue support due to on the job smoke inhalation.

But, if you smoke casually, like those tests say, will show nicotine..
And if anything you can say that you take nicotine gum, or e-cigarettes?

Of course, it is "disturbing and invasive", if you smoke, they heap on the guilt, yet they never ask you if you pollute your body with chemicals, heavy metals and so on and so forth.

This is an important thing for you, so, fwiw, try to take it as it comes and don't feel discourage or ridiculed, your doing the best you can under a worsening system - hope it goes well for you.

Divide By Zero said:

That's probable a reasonable thing to say. If under other circumstances, like you need to see an emerg-physician, you don't need to say anything. I've said that, yes I do smoke, however it is only organic. Their eyes search their head, they get confused and think you are talking about pot and they usually leave it at that.

Minas Tirith said:
I was wondering about that as well. A dentist could probably tell, or not?

I'm not sure, yet the last time I saw a hygienist, she asked me if I smoked - yes I said. She said she could kind of tell, cause people who smoke, well their gums don't bleed so much if agitated - thought that was interesting.

Divide By Zero said:
I've heard of them doing this test for fire fighters in some cities.
They aren't allowed to smoke, in order to be able to get disability or other health issue support due to on the job smoke inhalation.

But, if you smoke casually, like those tests say, will show nicotine..
And if anything you can say that you take nicotine gum, or e-cigarettes?

I asked the nurse about the nicotine test because I generally only chew the nicotine gum, and I will smoke a cigarette maybe just one every couple of weeks. They don't care if it's just the gum or not. If they find it in your blood, you won't be able to get that discount.

Lilou said:
This is all just part and parcel of what is to come. SOTT recently had an article about doctors offices' being able to monitor our food purchases via credit cards or store member cards, then phoning up the patient, saying I noticed you are diabetic, but buying a lot of ice cream (for example). {I couldn't find it on a search, maybe someone else will have better luck.}

This is the article you're referring to: http://www.sott.net/article/281131-Big-Brother-in-healthcare-Hospitals-use-credit-card-data-to-create-patient-profiles

This kind of thing really ticks me off to no end.

Back
Top Bottom