Tobacco in Canada?

Wu Wei Wu

Jedi Master
Hi Everyone. Wasn't sure where to put this, but I figured this would be a great place to ask for advice. I'm looking for a place to get solid Tobacco in Canada. I used to buy mine by the pound from a local friend, but she's dropped off the face of the earth and now I'm running out of my lovely tobacco, yet unwilling to inhale those various toxic brands.

I used to buy from tobacco shops, but at a price of $25 per 50 grams, it's pretty steep. Also not that good. After smoking 100% organic tobacco for 2 years, I find store-bought pipe tobacco now tastes like soap and chemicals. It smells nice, but that's not what I'm after.

I know I can get it from the states if need be, but I'll pay a pretty penny if I do, and of course the quality is questionable. Not to mention taxes after bringing it over the border. I know where to get great cigars at great prices as well, but I like to roll my own cigarettes and smoke a pipe moreso than cigars, so that won't suffice. American Spirit stopped shipping to Canada years ago, and they are pretty expensive anyways.

I'm certain I'm not the only Canadian who has faced this problem. My peers, where do you look for quality, safe tobacco in Canada? I'm getting to the last of my stores, and I'd rather not give up smoking and all it's benefits for lack of a quality source.

You can order whole leaf tobacco from the US cheaply. At least for the next year, they're looking at banning it at least in Ontario. Wholeleaftobacco.com has sent many shipments to Canada successfully. Every now and then a customs official who doesn't know the law causes problems but you can appeal their decision. That vendor labels the package with the right customs code.

You will need something to shred it with, though. But you would be paying about $17 a pound plus shipping which would be hard to beat. At those prices it's cheaper than growing your own, probably.

I've also been getting tobacco from Wholeleaftobacco.com, and as Mr. Premise said I don't think you could get it for a better price than $17 a pound anywhere else.

As far as shredding the tobacco, I can tell you that I've tried many different things such as cutting with scissors (this works but it's very time consuming), different kinds of blenders, a paper shredder, even a meat grinder! But none of these worked well, at least for me. I found an actual "tobacco shredder" online, but it was too cheaply made and broke after only a few times using it (the tobacco leaves were a little too moist which caused the rollers to get "gummed up", and when I tried to apply more pressure to turn the rollers, the handle snapped in two pieces).

I finally broke down and bought a good quality pasta maker (manual, not electric) made by an Italian company called Marcato for $120. It's actually been working very well. The strands are 1/8 inch in thickness, which is a little too wide, so I so have to run the tobacco through twice. It takes me about 2 hours, from start to finish (including separating the tobacco from the stems), to process a half pound of tobacco, which will last me 8 to 10 days.

I've mostly relied on Yuma cigarettes, which are organic and additive free. I know they offer shredded leaf as well, but that may have been the soapy flavored tobacco you mentioned. :violin: I don't have much experience with ordering tobacco from the US... but I may head down there to visit with friends in Autumn so I may just buy a bunch in person.

Another good option is _http://www.leafonly.com/, US based and also sellers of organic whole leaf tobacco that you can then shred to your convenience. Wide variety of flavors, from the rather mild to the really strong, which can be used to make combinations to fit your taste. I am pretty sure they sell to Canada as well, shipping is fast and since this is not a regulated tobacco product it can bypass customs with no problem - although I suggest asking them just to make sure.

Navigator said:
Another good option is _http://www.leafonly.com/, US based and also sellers of organic whole leaf tobacco that you can then shred to your convenience. Wide variety of flavors, from the rather mild to the really strong, which can be used to make combinations to fit your taste. I am pretty sure they sell to Canada as well, shipping is fast and since this is not a regulated tobacco product it can bypass customs with no problem - although I suggest asking them just to make sure.
From what I've heard from many people who have ordered from both sites is the quality and service is much better at WholeLeafTobacco but they don't have organic yet. But their stuff is all additive-free. I also know a tobacco farmer in Kentucky whose whole leaf is organically grown but not certified. His prices are the best, too. PM me and I can give you his email address, he doesn't have a website yet.

Thanks everyone, I'm investigating a number of the sources to see which is best for me. You're help has been ideal, I've been stuck without a source for months and have been running out. Hopefully my solution has been found!

If anyone else has additional suggestions please post them. Surely I won't be the last Canadian to ask this same question, let this be the thread where they can find everything they need to know.

PS. Hi Whitecoast, I've never tried Yuma (I've always avoided any brand cigarettes) but upon your recommendation I will. There is a place in Vancouver called City Cigar, I'll grab some there and see how it goes! And yes, I find their shredded tobacco tastes soapy. I've been spoiled by the good stuff and won't take anything else now. :cool2:

Never did try those Yuma Cigarettes.

But the tobacco did come. For my first order, I purchased from Whole Leaf Tobacco. They attached the customs law to the package. The tariff on tobacco products is 100% or 200%, something exorbitant. But the tariff on agricultural products is 18%, and tobacco by the leaf, is 'unprocessed' and therefore, NOT a 'tobacco product'. Thank you legalese, you have finally served me well. The laws are all on the Canadian customs website.

So let all Canadians know that you can get your tobacco at $25 ish a lb, virtually free of chemicals, and roll it yourself to boot!

Downsides are you'll need to cut it yourself and as I quickly learned that's quite the hassle. I went through about 150 grams by hand with some friends, and it took us a good hour. A shredder, either manual or electric, is definitely required.

I hope my experience is fruitful for other curious individuals. If other people have questions, they need only ask, and I will help answer the best I can.

Now, I'm going to smoke some of that delicious tobacco!

to mr premise - did you ever get the email address for the man in kentucky from July 2014 post

Hi guys,

It looks like the laws have changed, I cant get a a package through without paying 3x the value at the border. The new definitions of raw and unmanufactured tobacco are strict. As seen in the Excise Act:

manufactured tobacco means every article, other than cigars, made by a tobacco manufacturer from raw leaf tobacco by any process whatever, and includes cigarettes, tobacco sticks and snuff

tobacco manufacturer means everyone who manufactures tobacco for himself, or who employs others to manufacture tobacco, other than cigars, whether the manufacture is by casing, packing, cutting, pressing, grinding, rolling, drying, crushing or stemming of any raw leaf tobacco, or otherwise preparing raw leaf or manufactured or partially manufactured tobacco, by the putting up for use or consumption of scraps, waste, clippings, stems or deposits of tobacco, resulting from any process of handling tobacco, or by the working or preparation of raw
leaf tobacco, scraps, waste, clippings, stems or deposits of tobacco, by sifting, twisting, screening or any other process;

As we can see, the act of drying whole leaves are now considered a a manufacturing process. The two border agents I spoke to did not give any merit to the fact that it was for making cigars, which has until now, been exempt from tariffs.

As far as shredding goes, scissors work for me in a pinch (no pun intended), but I have one of these, and while pricey, it's been totally worth it. If you're a regular smoker, this machine comes in really handy. _http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-S-Tobacco-Shredding-Machine/dp/B007ZT55NQ

merlins said:
to mr premise - did you ever get the email address for the man in kentucky from July 2014 post
I'm very sorry, merlins, I missed this post. I do have the address. Let me know if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom