How to detoxify your pet

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There is this recent article and video by Dr Becker, where she gives a lot of good tips about detoxification for pets. And for the most part it can be also applied to humans!

It's best to read the whole article, but he's a quote with all the recommended detox supplements and herbs.

Three main supplements for the detox are glutathione (glycine), taurine and N-acetylcysteine.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/17/detoxification.aspx?x_cid=20140818_ranart_facebookpets
To assist in removing reactive oxygen species from your pet’s body, I recommend the herb milk thistle. The active ingredient in this herb is silymarin, which stimulates the uptake of glutathione from liver cells. Milk thistle also assists in liver cell regeneration.

Schisandra fruit is included in many TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) formulas because it helps protect the liver against various toxins. The hepatoprotective nature of this fruit assists in keeping healthy cells resilient against the effects of environmental toxins.

Curcumin is what gives turmeric its yellow color. This potent antioxidant supports both phase 1 and phase 2 liver detoxification. Curcumin is known to have anti-inflammatory activity because of its ability to inhibit pro-inflammatory enzymes. This phytonutrient has been shown to be anti-carcinogenic, which means it fights cancer, primarily due to its ability to heighten the body’s detoxification reactions. Recent studies also indicate curcumin may have a protective effect against mercury and other heavy metal exposure.

Phosphatidylcholine (PC) is critical for a detoxification process known as methylation. Pets’ bodies are wired with very potent hormones needed for emergencies. Adrenaline and noradrenaline serve a very valuable purpose in helping your pet through a crisis. However, these hormones are very damaging to body tissues with chronic exposure. The faster your pet’s body can get rid of these hormones once they are no longer needed, the less damage is done. The process of getting rid of these hormones is called methylation. Phosphatidylcholine is required for this critical process of breaking down and eliminating these hormones.

PC is found in extremely high levels in liver cell membranes where it functions as an antioxidant to protect liver cells called hepatocytes from damage. In addition to hepatocytes, cells of the brain and nervous system need large concentrations of PC for repair and maintenance. PC provides nourishment and protection to the fatty myelin sheath surrounding nerve fibers as well.

Resveratrol is the active ingredient in the plant known as Japanese knotweed. Resveratrol, of course, is hailed as one of the best anti-cancer and anti-aging antioxidants ever discovered. But believe it or not, it also reduces liver enzyme elevations by reducing lipid peroxidation in the liver. In essence, it helps the liver clean house, flushing accumulations of fat so the organ can function optimally.

The catechins found in green tea dramatically modify cancer-causing molecules that damage cellular DNA. Inactivation and excretion of carcinogens is a big part of keeping your pet’s body cancer-free for a lifetime. And green tea leaf extract can be very beneficial for your pets.

The green super food known as chlorella functions as a potent heavy metal chelator, as well as a GI detoxifier, binding up excess toxic metals many pets are exposed to in their environment. Chlorella’s tough outer cell wall also binds environmental pollutants in the gut, allowing them to be eliminated efficiently.

Superoxide dismutase, also called SOD, is a potent enzyme responsible for the removal of free radicals from your pet’s body. Superoxide dismutase works by catalyzing the breakdown of superoxide radicals into oxygen and hydrogen. Superoxide radicals are toxic to the living cells of your pet’s body. And removing them is critical for your pet’s lymphatic system to work optimally.

Dandelion leaf has superior blood-cleansing benefits. Dandelion contains bitters called sesquiterpene lactones, which provide the herb’s main detoxification benefits. Although dandelion also supports liver and gall bladder detoxification, it’s especially helpful for kidney detoxification, assisting in the removal of blood-borne toxins excreted through the kidneys. Clean blood helps ensure metabolic wastes get efficiently carried away from your pet’s tissues and vital organs.

And here's the video:

https://youtu.be/ePgJ_TkBiCc

Keit said:
There is this recent article and video by Dr Becker, where she gives a lot of good tips about detoxification for pets. And for the most part it can be also applied to humans!

It's best to read the whole article, but he's a quote with all the recommended detox supplements and herbs.

Three main supplements for the detox are glutathione (glycine), taurine and N-acetylcysteine.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/17/detoxification.aspx?x_cid=20140818_ranart_facebookpets9

Thanks, some really interesting information here - this in particular:

Phosphatidylcholine (PC) is critical for a detoxification process known as methylation. Pets’ bodies are wired with very potent hormones needed for emergencies. Adrenaline and noradrenaline serve a very valuable purpose in helping your pet through a crisis. However, these hormones are very damaging to body tissues with chronic exposure. The faster your pet’s body can get rid of these hormones once they are no longer needed, the less damage is done. The process of getting rid of these hormones is called methylation. Phosphatidylcholine is required for this critical process of breaking down and eliminating these hormones.

PC is found in extremely high levels in liver cell membranes where it functions as an antioxidant to protect liver cells called hepatocytes from damage. In addition to hepatocytes, cells of the brain and nervous system need large concentrations of PC for repair and maintenance. PC provides nourishment and protection to the fatty myelin sheath surrounding nerve fibers as well.

Environmental toxins, especially their concentrations in cities, such as typical 2-4-d applied to lawns, municipal water (as was said by Karen) and on and on - good grief, cleansing are pets of these toxic adjuncts is something to pay attention to; helpful article here for people with pets.

Have also been reading on the very liberal prescribing of steroids for our pets, not as a last resort, yet as a standard prescription when inflammation is suspected; sometimes a long term prescription for the animals life - never getting to the root of matters, electing instead to mask them - same for human beings of course.

Thank you so much for the information Keit!
We have a male neutered domestic short-hair cat (aka our dumpster kitty-Eliot) and he came down with a very bad case of cystitis. Our conventional vet advised special urinary tract food and so on and so forth. We researched the food and found that it was not guaranteed to stop the crystals from reforming, and could possibly encourage the growth of another kind. (Yikes-we skipped the food needless to say and went raw with him.) We wondered why he would have developed a condition like this to begin with-and after reviewing your post and researching links between stress hormones and urinary tract/bladder issues in felines-I am putting my money on environmental factors activating the stress hormones and I think that's what led to him developing the bladder crystals. He was always a little skittish but when we moved and other furry babies were introduced to our family-I don't think he processed it well. He also is gluten intolerant (...because when have wheat gluten and cornmeal fillers Ever been a part of a cat's natural diet??) We've put all our animals on a raw diet and they've all done much much better across the board. We did take Eliot for a consultation with a holistic vet in our area and she did prescribe a detox formula for him, much like the one listed above. It bothered me a little (okay a lot) that they didn't want to tell us exactly what was in the formula. She said it was because it was a proprietary blend. And it was an expensive little blend. I wish they gave more specific information as to the amounts that should be given in the article. Right now, we treat Eliot's bladder condition with Vit C and it hasn't returned and he looks and acts 100% better. The detox stuff is difficult to give him (we were supposed to spoon it into his mouth and he is less than thrilled about it) and it's expensive. Besides...if it stresses him out for me to wrestle him down and get a spoon of medicine in his mouth-isn't that defeating the purpose of the de-stress-detox?
Anyone have any experience with making an at-home detox formula? Maybe the proportions per pound? I know that while dogs and kitties are similar-I don't know if the formula would change between canine/feline (I'm guessing yes.) And what about adding taurine? From what I've read regarding feeding cats raw, there are two differing camps-some people say that if you are feeding raw and the cats are getting enough connective tissue, organ meat, and bone that you do Not need to supplement with extra taurine powder, and others are adamant that you should put it all through the grinder with the extra taurine. We don't grind our raw food for them. They eat it off the bone. And then they eat the bone.

Is what you are spooning liquid? If not, maybe you can mix it with a bit of water. If/when liquid, instead of spooning it, why not use a small syringe (the kind that are used for shots)? I used this for both cats and dogs. They still don't want anything to do with it, but it is much faster and less messy (don't squirt it in fast as it just dribbles back out of the mouth). You can fit the end where the needle fits (without the needle, of course) in between spaces in the teeth, or even wedge it in between the teeth, or go behind the teeth, tilt the head back a bit and squirt it in.

Magpie said:
We have a male neutered domestic short-hair cat (aka our dumpster kitty-Eliot) and he came down with a very bad case of cystitis. Our conventional vet advised special urinary tract food and so on and so forth. We researched the food and found that it was not guaranteed to stop the crystals from reforming, and could possibly encourage the growth of another kind. (Yikes-we skipped the food needless to say and went raw with him.) We wondered why he would have developed a condition like this to begin with-and after reviewing your post and researching links between stress hormones and urinary tract/bladder issues in felines-I am putting my money on environmental factors activating the stress hormones and I think that's what led to him developing the bladder crystals.

Right, since if the crystals were formed due to the alkaline environment, then acidifying it is a way to go. But then, if you take too acidifying food, it can lead to another type of crystals, so a balance should be maintained.

And yep, any kibble is bad and should be eliminated. It is actually a leading contributor to cystitis. In the Academy clinic they usually recommend the owners to feed their pets natural food only in such cases.

Stress is a major contributor too. Here, read this article on cystitis that was recommended by Dr. Becker.

Magpie said:
We did take Eliot for a consultation with a holistic vet in our area and she did prescribe a detox formula for him, much like the one listed above. It bothered me a little (okay a lot) that they didn't want to tell us exactly what was in the formula. She said it was because it was a proprietary blend. And it was an expensive little blend.

I always see it as a bad sign, when a vet is unwilling to provide information or explanation to a pet owner (at least on a basic level). Sure, they are trying to do business, so it's a mixed bag, but in an ideal world a good vet should have very little job, because the most important part of veterinary care is prevention (prophylactics)! And good explanation to pet owners how they should care for their pet (and make educated choices) is a good way of doing that. But then, again, they would be out of business very quickly this way.

Magpie said:
I wish they gave more specific information as to the amounts that should be given in the article.

Well, she said in the end of the article, that specific dosage should be discussed with holistic vet. It depends on the weight and health of the pet and such. It's maybe possible to find the proper dosage for individual elements (like, for example, on this site you can find information on milk thistle, including appropriate dosage for cats), but if you take several of them together and as a part of a detox protocol, then the amount of each ingredient could differ from being taken individually.

Magpie said:
Right now, we treat Eliot's bladder condition with Vit C and it hasn't returned and he looks and acts 100% better. The detox stuff is difficult to give him (we were supposed to spoon it into his mouth and he is less than thrilled about it) and it's expensive. Besides...if it stresses him out for me to wrestle him down and get a spoon of medicine in his mouth-isn't that defeating the purpose of the de-stress-detox?

Nienna's advice about the syringe is a good advice! Also, a good trick to remember, that when you put anything right on the root of the tongue (as much back on the tongue as possible), then they have no choice but to swallow that. But with liquid medication doing it using syringe is the best. And if it isn't liquid, you can mix it with warm bone/meat broth and then fill the syringe with it.

Magpie said:
Anyone have any experience with making an at-home detox formula? Maybe the proportions per pound? I know that while dogs and kitties are similar-I don't know if the formula would change between canine/feline (I'm guessing yes.)

Well, maybe you can leave a comment on Dr Becker's site and ask for specifics? Maybe they already have a mixed formula that is cheaper. Don't know.
_http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/17/detoxification.aspx?x_cid=20140818

Magpie said:
And what about adding taurine? From what I've read regarding feeding cats raw, there are two differing camps-some people say that if you are feeding raw and the cats are getting enough connective tissue, organ meat, and bone that you do Not need to supplement with extra taurine powder, and others are adamant that you should put it all through the grinder with the extra taurine. We don't grind our raw food for them. They eat it off the bone. And then they eat the bone.

I think that the best way to solve the dilemma would be to think what your cat would eat naturally in the wild (like, for example, if they would catch a mouse, they would eat it whole, or almost whole), and if what ever you give your kitty substitutes all that.

But, the owner of the Catinfo.org site (that is being recommended by many holistic sources) in her instructions of preparing cat food does add taurine supplement:

In a nutshell - before I go into more detail below - I grind up meat, bones, skin, and liver. I then make a supplement slurry by adding vitamin B-complex, vitamin E, fish oil, taurine, and iodized lite salt (if using poultry thighs) to water.

After I am sure that all of the supplements are thoroughly dissolved in the water, I mix the slurry into the ground up meat/skin/liver and then portion it into containers and put it in the freezer.

Very simple.

Back
Top Bottom