World's Greatest Head Massage

It looks like he hypnotized his client. It seems pretty creepy to me, like he's being "posessed" by something.

Hi HowToBe,

sorry for my late responce,

HowToBe said:
It looks like he hypnotized his client. It seems pretty creepy to me, like he's being "posessed" by something.

Probabily you are right.
In our country turkey tourism has very important share in the economy and people in the service business always try to invent atractions
by combining tradition and amusement for the foreign visitors.
You can find such an example of touristical atraction ''maras ice cream seller'' below:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jfMKnFt-c

There are plenty of ''maras ice cream sellers'' who are performing the very same show to the visitors.
I assumed that the massage given by the indian barber above is a similar tourist atractor and that this is a popular service in India.
But of course this was only an assumption, I have never been to India and in reality I do not know why he is giving such a weird massage to the customer.

As I watched it, at first I was sort of shocked, and it made me laugh, maybe because it was weird and a slight bit uncomfortable to watch (as in, I wouldn't want someone doing that to me). But as as the video continued I started thinking, "What's going on here? Maybe I shouldn't be laughing at this."

It seems like a lot of those "massages" are not things that a person would allow if they were in a "normal" state of mind - they would be painful or at the very least shocking (popping the hand for instance). From what I've watched/read, hypnotism can apparently seem quite normal when you are in the middle of it, and you don't realize you are hypnotized, usually.

HowToBe said:
As I watched it, at first I was sort of shocked, and it made me laugh, maybe because it was weird and a slight bit uncomfortable to watch (as in, I wouldn't want someone doing that to me). But as as the video continued I started thinking, "What's going on here? Maybe I shouldn't be laughing at this."

It seems like a lot of those "massages" are not things that a person would allow if they were in a "normal" state of mind - they would be painful or at the very least shocking (popping the hand for instance). From what I've watched/read, hypnotism can apparently seem quite normal when you are in the middle of it, and you don't realize you are hypnotized, usually.

I think this is more theatre than anything else. I actually had a head massage from this guy in 2000 when I was recovering from illness in Pushkar where he's based. There was a sign outside his barbers shop saying 'world famous chendra massage' which I found to be the kind of typically amusing exaggerated claim one often finds on the Indian tourist trail. He's certainly refined his 'talents' since then and what he does now looks far more elaborate. It's common for barbers to give massage after a haircut in India and I think this guy has just put a few bells and whistles on to make a name for himself. I recall him being extremely firm and found his head massage very invigorating but again I think this is more theatre than anything else........

Hahaha! Gold!!
Hypnotism? It would be hilarious if he was whispering "pay me double" along with his relax suggestion!
I can also picture him saying " please come again" as you walk out! :rotfl: (no offence intended)
Seriously though if I could get a shave like that and a killer head massage, I'd probably put up with his breathing and blowing all over the place!

Never underestimate the power of theatre when it comes to influencing a persons nervous system!
Just think of all those evangelical preachers who can get people to pass out, this guy just get's them to relax deeply.
Client expectation (priming) + dramatic show of hard work (which the brain see's as real effort, so there must be a result?) = dramatic results (placebo, the brain creates the result based on the input - if no other thought processes/expectations got in the way).

Back
Top Bottom