Atreides Paintings and Fun

Atreides

Jedi Master
Well, I've been trying to get back into painting, specifically digital painting and classical.

I have a DA account at _http://jasonknightmartin.deviantart.com/

Here is one of my latest, took about an hour and a half...Photoshop is so ridiculously easy to paint with.

It's called "The Lair of Mantissa" and is all Fantasy Style.

Attachments

• Mantissa_tiny.jpg
    Mantissa_tiny.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 378
I really like it! look at that mantis! did you use a pad and a digital pencil with photoshop to make that?

Nice!! A bit mysterious and "creepy".

But this is still my favorite of yours, and it's hand made (well, not that digital painting isn't done with your hand too, but ya know... this was done with real paint, brushes... the nice ol'fashion way!

le_chateau_des_pyrenees_by_jasonknightmartin-d64wmw2.jpg

Chu said:

But this is still my favorite of yours, and it's hand made (well, not that digital painting isn't done with your hand too, but ya know... this was done with real paint, brushes... the nice ol'fashion way!

le_chateau_des_pyrenees_by_jasonknightmartin-d64wmw2.jpg

wow that one is really cool! its like the chateau becoming like an "ark" in a floating island, well that its how I see it hehe

irjO said:
I really like it! look at that mantis! did you use a pad and a digital pencil with photoshop to make that?

Yes, I have a Wacom M pad. It acts a little wonky sometimes and I have to restart, but you can't beat it with a stick. I use standard PS brushes, nothing custom.

Wow, Atreides, your paintings have real depth! Nice work :)

The one Chu posted, it looks like the Chateau turned into an Ark. Yeah, irjO, I see it too.

Chu said:

It's kinda supposed to be dreadful...not really creepy, but if creepy is what people read I must have done it wrong. The basic story is there is someone coming up the stairs. Do they know about the creature? Is the creature coming out of or going into the cave? What's going to happen next?

Chu said:

It was an Iwata Eclipse Airbrush with a dinky underpowered compressor and cheapo acrylic paint reduced with windex. It's one of my favorites too. But doing airbrush right just takes for ever. That one took 12 days to paint. I am sure having to stop and clean the entire brush every 10-15 mins didn't help. Plus all the spillages...PS is so much less messy.

SMM said:

The one Chu posted, it looks like the Chateau turned into an Ark. Yeah, irjO, I see it too.

Thanks. It's the Chateau des Pyrenees :)

Both of them are very nice! The first is a bit creepy, but cool. I like the 2nd one best - La Chateau des Pyrenees :D

Atreides said:
SMM said:

Thanks. It's the Chateau des Pyrenees :)

Impressions:
Looks creepy if that island with the Chateau on it is supposed to be on the waters.
Dreadful if it's supposed to be floating in mid-air :)

I like the blurred landscape and "cottoned" colors! ..don't know if it's an effect of the camera though.

That looks like a lot of fun. I always loved doing colored pencils on artagain (black) paper. Trying to bring something out of the dark seemed easier than working with those intimidating white canvases.
The Chateau has a very dreamlike feel to it which I like also.

These are cool, thanks for sharing. I didn't know there were giant mantis in Khazad-dûm :lol:

Seriously you really rocked the light and shadows, nice work.

Atreides said:
Chu said:

It's kinda supposed to be dreadful...not really creepy, but if creepy is what people read I must have done it wrong. The basic story is there is someone coming up the stairs. Do they know about the creature? Is the creature coming out of or going into the cave? What's going to happen next?
I got similar impression as Chu adding a mysterious part, though. I tend to look to other details, like the name of the file, tiny, at the stairs?, mantissa? phonetically didn't sound to me dreadful. Thanks for sharing and for your explanation. :)

Seamas said:
These are cool, thanks for sharing. I didn't know there were giant mantis in Khazad-dûm :lol:

Seriously you really rocked the light and shadows, nice work.

Well, I did think of doing Shelob's Revenge, may still.

As for the light and shadows, it really varies from monitor to monitor, on Chu's laptop it looks totally naff and washed out, on my screen still vibrant. Problem is it was done in CMYK, converted to RGB (wasn't to bad) and then shrunk to tinyness. The .psd is 260MB It's just massive.

mabar said:
Atreides said:
Chu said:

I got similar impression as Chu adding a mysterious part, though. I tend to look to other details, like the name of the file, tiny, at the stairs?, mantissa? phonetically didn't sound to me dreadful. Thanks for sharing and for your explanation. :)

Tiny as opposed to the large JPEG file which is 6MB, while the small one is 600KB.

The hoped for read is:

Attachments

• Mantissa_tiny_intended_read.jpg
    Mantissa_tiny_intended_read.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 257
Back
Top Bottom