Atreides Paintings and Fun

Chu said:
Nice!! A bit mysterious and "creepy".

But this is still my favorite of yours, and it's hand made (well, not that digital painting isn't done with your hand too, but ya know... this was done with real paint, brushes... the nice ol'fashion way!

le_chateau_des_pyrenees_by_jasonknightmartin-d64wmw2.jpg

Beautiful symbolism of the port in the storm, the light-house and beacon for humanity. I love it. I also think it denotes the 'protection' you receive as the crew, and also give to others through the incredible knowledge that you share.

Am I anywhere near the mark Atreides? I so wish I had an artist's talent to be able to be so visually expressive and contribute to quality objective art for humankind.

Atreides said:
Well, I've been trying to get back into painting, specifically digital painting and classical.

I have a DA account at _http://jasonknightmartin.deviantart.com/

Here is one of my latest, took about an hour and a half...Photoshop is so ridiculously easy to paint with.

It's called "The Lair of Mantissa" and is all Fantasy Style.

WOW!! thats epic Atreides!!! I have also been picking up drawing as well since 3 weeks ago, mostly drawing manga.

Have you ever thought about selling your paintings? Because you have some real talent man!

Normally, a work of art shouldn't be discussed and questioned with the artist... so... :evil:
The first impression from the Mantissa work was: encounter with the other self within the dark labyrinth of the unconscious or something like that. Maybe the thought was triggered by associating the preying mantis with the corresponding chapter in the first volume of the Wave series, and also because the preying mantis looks like waiting for someone coming through the stairs. The stairs make a turn, so whoever comes from below cannot see Mantissa until it's too late, she's hidden by the darkness and from the geometry of the stairs. Of course, it doesn't mean that it is what the artist meant.

Chu said:

But this is still my favorite of yours, and it's hand made (well, not that digital painting isn't done with your hand too, but ya know... this was done with real paint, brushes... the nice ol'fashion way!

le_chateau_des_pyrenees_by_jasonknightmartin-d64wmw2.jpg

I don't really know about nor care about art, but when I see something I fancy, it is because it evokes a sense of mystery to me. This one lands squarely in that category. Furthermore, it is not a foreboding sense of mystery but something rather... ?pleasant?

mkrnhr said:
Normally, a work of art shouldn't be discussed and questioned with the artist... so... :evil:
The first impression from the Mantissa work was: encounter with the other self within the dark labyrinth of the unconscious or something like that. Maybe the thought was triggered by associating the preying mantis with the corresponding chapter in the first volume of the Wave series, and also because the preying mantis looks like waiting for someone coming through the stairs. The stairs make a turn, so whoever comes from below cannot see Mantissa until it's too late, she's hidden by the darkness and from the geometry of the stairs. Of course, it doesn't mean that it is what the artist meant.

Yes, the mantis story was actually the starting point for this image. I think ultimately artists don't know why, or how to express why they paint what they paint, it's another language. But I certainly like and agree with your reading of the image. I think images can ultimately hold several reads and all of them are true and false to a point. Except this one, this was less by pure inspiration and more inspired by Chu's Article.

I am trying to do as much painting as possible each day using this new silhouette method that I learned.

Attachments

• Maria Silva_tiny.jpg
    Maria Silva_tiny.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 166
Bo said:
WOW!! thats epic Atreides!!! I have also been picking up drawing as well since 3 weeks ago, mostly drawing manga.

Have you ever thought about selling your paintings? Because you have some real talent man!

That's great! One of the first things you may want to think of: Get a Wacom (even the bamboo is great) Pad. If you want to do drawing, I strongly suggest Sketchbook pro. The only reason I am not using is because my hero doesn't. There is something weird/magical about sketchbook tho...your painting/drawings will always be better. It has some magic algorithms.

I am not much into Manga style, my hero is a guy named Feng Zhu: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPcSuLe73g

As for selling them, I guess, I don't think I am good enough yet, or at least I am mainly doing 2-3 hour studies in painting, not sure anyone would want to hang that up...I think you can buy them through Devian Art though, it has an option to buy a print of all the images.

Thanks for sharing Atreides! And I guess using a wacom or similar pad may help a lot too, although when at the beginning and the pad itself has no screen may need some practice too looking at the comp screen and drawing on the pad.

Gawan said:
Thanks for sharing Atreides! And I guess using a wacom or similar pad may help a lot too, although when at the beginning and the pad itself has no screen may need some practice too looking at the comp screen and drawing on the pad.

Takes maybe 5 mins to adjust. It's very sensitive and well designed. Unless you have specifically many many years of hand drawing, then there is some time to get to the point where you can do the same...I still can't quite draw as well with the Wacom as I could with pencil...But I am getting there.

That's great! One of the first things you may want to think of: Get a Wacom (even the bamboo is great) Pad. If you want to do drawing, I strongly suggest Sketchbook pro. The only reason I am not using is because my hero doesn't. There is something weird/magical about sketchbook tho...your painting/drawings will always be better. It has some magic algorithms.

Yeah I am currently using the Intuos wacom pad, it was kind of hard to get used to since it doesn't really feel the same way as drawing on real paper, but I am getting the hang of it a steady pace though.

As for Sketchbook pro, it sounds like an awesome software, I might get that one as well. I am currently using Manga Studio 5 ex, which is basically a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator in one, I find it really great for drawing.

I am not much into Manga style, my hero is a guy named Feng Zhu: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDPcSuLe73g

As for selling them, I guess, I don't think I am good enough yet, or at least I am mainly doing 2-3 hour studies in painting, not sure anyone would want to hang that up...I think you can buy them through Devian Art though, it has an option to buy a print of all the images.

Wow, just watched a few of his videos. That guy is amazing(bookmarked it, thanks for sharing it!).

happyliza said:
Beautiful symbolism of the port in the storm, the light-house and beacon for humanity. I love it. I also think it denotes the 'protection' you receive as the crew, and also give to others through the incredible knowledge that you share.

Am I anywhere near the mark Atreides? I so wish I had an artist's talent to be able to be so visually expressive and contribute to quality objective art for humankind.

Thanks. I am not sure what it means, it was just inspired by the Chateau Des Pyrenees by Magrite I think. It's a pic Ark has hanging in his office. L likes it, so it was a present for them.

As for talent, there's no such thing :) It's only practice and work, like all things. I bet you'd be great at painting if you gave it a try!

happyliza said:

It's very mystical, it looks as though the Chateau is almost floating on the water, ready to move to a different density at any moment.

I really love them both. :thup:

Atreides said:
mabar said:
Atreides said:
Chu said:

It's kinda supposed to be dreadful...not really creepy, but if creepy is what people read I must have done it wrong. The basic story is there is someone coming up the stairs. Do they know about the creature? Is the creature coming out of or going into the cave? What's going to happen next?
I got similar impression as Chu adding a mysterious part, though. I tend to look to other details, like the name of the file, tiny, at the stairs?, mantissa? phonetically didn't sound to me dreadful. Thanks for sharing and for your explanation. :)

Tiny as opposed to the large JPEG file which is 6MB, while the small one is 600KB.

The hoped for read is:
Ahhh! right! the image size! ups?... after logging out I wondered if it was a representation ---after reading the explanation --- dreadful feeling of the insects, people/I, sometimes, are afraid of insects, and can see them as big monsters, threatening all of my being. I once, found a mantis in my mirror's bathroom --after a big storm the night before, I approach it, it was interesting to see, with its bright green color, until it turned his head and it looks at me, with its "big" , moving his head from left to right, then I panic a little, I went to find my sister, I was thinking that she, being a biologist, wouldn't be afraid of it, but, she didn't want to do it either, buff! since, my purpose was going to take it outside and to not kill it, I went to the kitchen to grasp someting large, a kitchen tweezers and a bottle, in that lapse of time, the mantis moved to the shower, all the time I was trying to grab it without hurting it, it kept looking at me, it was a weird sensation. At the end, I was able to take it to the garden.

Another Ahhh!, I didn't noticed the light at the left bottom until now, didn't registered, why? do not know, I suppose that my memory went back to the mantis experience (unnoticed), because I focused all the time on the mantis with its ready to fight body position (a somehow karate form), .... I supposed that, my previous (many years back) experienced didn't correlate it to a dreadful sensation/feeling of your painting.

Thanks again for the clearer explanation.

mabar said:
Ahhh! right! the image size! ups?... after logging out I wondered if it was a representation ---after reading the explanation --- dreadful feeling of the insects, people/I, sometimes, are afraid of insects, and can see them as big monsters, threatening all of my being. I once, found a mantis in my mirror's bathroom --after a big storm the night before, I approach it, it was interesting to see, with its bright green color, until it turned his head and it looks at me, with its "big" , moving his head from left to right, then I panic a little, I went to find my sister, I was thinking that she, being a biologist, wouldn't be afraid of it, but, she didn't want to do it either, buff! since, my purpose was going to take it outside and to not kill it, I went to the kitchen to grasp someting large, a kitchen tweezers and a bottle, in that lapse of time, the mantis moved to the shower, all the time I was trying to grab it without hurting it, it kept looking at me, it was a weird sensation. At the end, I was able to take it to the garden.

Another Ahhh!, I didn't noticed the light at the left bottom until now, didn't registered, why? do not know, I suppose that my memory went back to the mantis experience (unnoticed), because I focused all the time on the mantis with its ready to fight body position (a somehow karate form), .... I supposed that, my previous (many years back) experienced didn't correlate it to a dreadful sensation/feeling of your painting.

Thanks again for the clearer explanation.

Not all paintings make us remember or feel good things, think of the Pietas of Christ etc. I guess what you wrote makes it even better IMHO, because you really thought about the subject and added your own experience to it. In the end, I don't think I could want anything better than for something I painted to do that.

I admit Mantises really creep me out. Personally I love insects, but I still fear them. The Mantis imho is one of the creepiest predatory insects. The creepist for me tho are fleas and ticks...well the disgustingest anyway.

Wow, seems someone actually bought a print from Lair of Mantissa. Maybe it was a test purchase, but awesome! I guess I will have to paint more...

Back
Top Bottom