Atreides Paintings and Fun

Atreides said:
I admit Mantises really creep me out. Personally I love insects, but I still fear them. The Mantis imho is one of the creepiest predatory insects. The creepist for me tho are fleas and ticks...well the disgustingest anyway.

Mantis have always been one of my favorites. They are cold blooded killing machines but I always found them interesting for some reason. I agree, parasites like fleas, ticks, worms, flukes are the worst!

I ran into a HUGE mantis last fall after a big storm:

IMG_20131101_110324.jpg

IMG_20131101_110303.jpg

I really like Luna moths too

IMG_20140620_065911.jpg

I don't mean to hijack the thread, there are a few more photos on google+ for anyone interested https://plus.google.com/photos/102189257408657629499/albums/6060049948284898593

Atreides said:
That's great! One of the first things you may want to think of: Get a Wacom (even the bamboo is great) Pad. If you want to do drawing, I strongly suggest Sketchbook pro. The only reason I am not using is because my hero doesn't. There is something weird/magical about sketchbook tho...your painting/drawings will always be better. It has some magic algorithms.

I haven't done any artwork in years. So today I had a look at Sketchbook Pro summary online. WOW. That is really cool stuff. And as it turns out that I have a copy that came factory installed on my Galaxy tablet ( didn't realize that ) but no stylus, so I picked one up for a few bux and gave the software quick whirl. Incredibly powerful ! I had no idea computer drawing tech had come so far. I might actually spend some time drawing and painting on the tablet now. Thanks for the heads-up on that software :)

Nice artwork Atreides !

Hmmm... by coincidence, a mantis befriended Approaching Infinity today at The Farm:
(see attached picture)

Attachments

• 2014-09-17(144002)-work at the Farm-Mantis.jpg
    2014-09-17(144002)-work at the Farm-Mantis.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 153
Interesting reading here: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis

The name mantodea is formed from the Ancient Greek words μάντις (mantis) meaning "prophet", and εἶδος (eidos) meaning "form" or "type".

Wonder if it means something...

Weird timing for sure. I had a small praying mantis land on the side mirror of my car last week while I was at work. I snapped a picture, which didn't look so good from inside the car, by the time I got out and in position to snap a better one, it vanished. :ninja:

Nice work, thanks for sharing! I'd say that Feng Zhu is THE master of concept art. I find that I do not learn much from his videos. And his style seems too detailed to me. Although he mentions his videos are not about fundamentals, and are more about actual design.

I learned more from Scott Robertson and even Alphonso Dunn's channels. I prefer art that is painterly and done with minimal brushstrokes. Stuff like alrasyid or Lane Brown.

3D Student said:
Nice work, thanks for sharing! I'd say that Feng Zhu is THE master of concept art. I find that I do not learn much from his videos. And his style seems too detailed to me. Although he mentions his videos are not about fundamentals, and are more about actual design.

I learned more from Scott Robertson and even Alphonso Dunn's channels. I prefer art that is painterly and done with minimal brushstrokes. Stuff like alrasyid or Lane Brown.

Feng Zhu does do tutorials too, but I like watching his design cinema because it's inspiring. I do think you can learn a lot. If you want to get better at chess, play people better than you :) You still have to work on fundamentals like perspective and color theory and lighting and anatomy etc.

I am not interested in concept art per se, like as a carreer, but I think it is the highest form of art today. In the same way that I feel film and movie soundtracks are the highest form of musical art. So much knowledge and skill have to go into it, and you have to understand people to do it. You can't just draw or paint whatever you want in concept art, you have to understand the psychology of the audience and how to communicate things. Art as a form of objective communication.

As for Alrasyid he is a nice painter. I added him to my watch list.

Nice artwork Atreides. I really like the Chateau one.
On another note:
I found a praying mantis at my front door a few days ago. I usually think of it is as a good sign when I see them. Wishful thinking?!

Nancy2feathers said:
Nice artwork Atreides. I really like the Chateau one.
On another note:
I found a praying mantis at my front door a few days ago. I usually think of it is as a good sign when I see them. Wishful thinking?!

Okay, this is funny. I looked up the "generally accepted" symbolism of the mantis:

The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives. Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created.
After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience. The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace.

That's about the last thing I would have guessed given the nature of the praying mantis. :umm:

Here's the latest one I've done, more of a creature concept kind of think. I am really not good with animals/creatures. Which is why I am working hard on those as well as scenery. This one isn't much to look at, but was pretty fun.

there_s_always_someone_badder_than_you_by_jasonknightmartin-d7zv50q.jpg

There is always someone badder than you...

Attachments

• Theres_always_someone_tiny.jpg
    Theres_always_someone_tiny.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 95
Try letting more of the back ground come through when you shade the beasties, it will help you with the rendering. :flowers: :headbanger: :rockon:

Good!
There is something always eating something else. That is the way of nature.

I admit Mantises really creep me out. Personally I love insects, but I still fear them. The Mantis imho is one of the creepiest predatory insects. The creepist for me tho are fleas and ticks...well the disgustingest anyway.

When I look at the head or face of the mantis it sort of resembles an alien creature.

The painting of the Chateau surrounded by water gives me the the feeling that the Chateau is an "Ark". Maybe symbolizing that knowledge is protection against the storm.

I really enjoyed contemplating your painting, Atreides! :)

Back
Top Bottom