Appropriate Ketogenic diet reading material

RGG

Jedi Master
I've been asked by my sister-in-law to find some info on the Ketogenic diet on behalf of her daughter (my niece). My niece has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes ( she's 19) and is also an elite athlete. She is really struggling with weight gain and managing insulin highs and lows with the excercise demanded for her sport ( hockey goalie) since she's been going along with conventional wisdom that recommends the whole carb-loading nonsense. She's also been hurt psychologically by an idiot coach who wouldn't let her play after she was diagnosed with diabetes :mad:I need some resources that would be appropriate for a 20 year- old and a non- science savvy mom. I am not an expert by any means and have not read any of the ketogenic books yet so I don't feel comfortable recommending books on this. However, my niece needs to be at peak performance for college tryouts in the spring and her mom did ask my help after I'd mentioned this diet. Hopefully she can find a nutritionist who specializes in diabetes to help her with this if she's interested since she shouldn't attempt this on her own.

Any suggestions?

Well, I would say that Emmerichs "Keto Adapted Diet" fits the picture.

It's not too scientific (though some sections are a bit lengthy), but understandable and practical. It might also be interesting for your niece to read all the testimonies first - and there are loads about weight loss from girls around her age.

Also Emmerich is an athlete herself - although she came late to start sports, and there are many anecdotes and stories in that area.

You could point them first to her website, there is a lot of information already, even though it's mandatory to read the book _http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/keto-adapted-book/

Jeff Voleks video "The Many Facets of Keto-Adaption" is interesting, too - and he is researching athetes on an academic level. Don't expect him to be dry, though, he is really fun to listen to.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC1vMBRFiwE

M.T.

I would definitely agree with Minas Tirith, Keto-adapted is very easy to understand and 'layperson' friendly and she also speaks about athletics in the book.]

There is also "The art and science of low carbohydrate performance" By Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney... this may be useful? I cannot recommend this book however, as I have not actually read it yet.

Though I haven't read it myself, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is apparently quite good and goes into detail on low carb solutions. Watch you find the right one, though - there's also a weight-loss doctor named Dr. Bernstein who uses dangerous calorie cutting protocols and vitamin B12 injections. Not what you're looking for!

Thank you for the great selections guys, I will indeed pass this on.

dugdeep said:
Though I haven't read it myself, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is apparently quite good and goes into detail on low carb solutions. Watch you find the right one, though - there's also a weight-loss doctor named Dr. Bernstein who uses dangerous calorie cutting protocols and vitamin B12 injections. Not what you're looking for!

I noticed he has a clinic here in the city where I live! Some of his dietary suggestions seem a bit suspect considering what I've read here on the forum ( nuts, dairy to mention a few) but she has to start somewhere and she's already upset about how much her world has changed so this may be a good option if she can afford it.

And, look here for articles on Sott (scroll down to Ketogenic Diet). These might be good for an introduction:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,36063.0.html

M.T.

Back
Top Bottom