strikedebt.org

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Read this story today:

On the third anniversary of the Occupy Wall Street movement, an offshoot group announced that it has erased $3.8 million worth of private student loan debt.

The group, Strike Debt, said in a press release issued on Wednesday this week that its Rolling Jubilee initiative has purchased nearly $4 million in private student debt owed by former attendees of Everest College — an institution run by the massive for-profit education company Corinthian Colleges — in turn freeing those former students from a huge chunk of the burdensome loan bills.

“Jubilant Greetings!” the group wrote to 2,700 former Everest students. “We are writing to you with good news: We just got rid of some of your Everest College debt!”

“Everest College is committing widespread fraud,” the letter continues. “It targets lower-income students and students of color, offers low quality education and — with the help of the federal government — buries students under a lifetime of crushing debt, all to profit the one percent. No one should be forced to mortgage their future for an education.”

“You no longer owe the balance of this particular debt. It is gone, a gift with no strings attached. You are no longer under any obligation to settle this account with the original creditor, the bill collector or anyone else.”

This week’s announcement is only the latest from the non-profit organization to tout the results of a two-year-old initiative spawned from the Occupy movement that has previously erased more than $15 million in emergency room bills by purchasing debt from the companies tasked with collecting from debtors, then erasing it entirely using donated funds and never forcing the original debtor to pay them back.

“We buy debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, we abolish it,” Strike Debt explains Rolling Jubilee on the group’s website. “We cannot buy specific individuals' debt — instead, we help liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will and collective refusal. All proceeds go directly to buying and canceling people's debt.”

“This isn’t just a stunt or a spectacle,” Rolling Jubilee member Astra Taylor told NBC News this week. “This isn’t a long-term plan, either. The point is to touch people where they are, and try to create a political awareness out of that.”

Now in the heels of successful other campaigns waged in the three years since the Occupy movement took hold in Lower Manhattan and spread across the United States, Strike Debt says former students of Everest College are the latest to luck out through the Rolling Jubilee initiative, and with reason: in this week’s statement, the group says that students at Everest were “conned” and that Everest and other Corinthian schools “are now being closed or sold off to other predatory companies, leaving students with no good options.”

“Despite Corinthian's dire financial straits, checkered past, and history of lying to and misleading vulnerable students, tens of thousands of people may still be liable for the loans they have incurred while playing by the rules and trying to get an education," one Strike Debt member told CNN.

"Some debts are just, and others are unjust," another organizer, Thomas Gokey, told National Public Radio. "Providing affordable, publicly financed, world-class education is a moral debt we are failing to pay."

In the US, student loan debt now totals roughly $1.2 trillion — surpassing the amount owed through credit card debt — with the average graduate owing $26,600, according to the Institute for College Access and Success.

See also: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/education/shame-outrage-group-takes-action-against-student-debt-crisis-n204926

Had to search for the website: http://strikedebt.org/

See this: http://strikedebt.org/update4/

Here is their "Operations Manual" http://strikedebt.org/drom/

It's very interesting and I'm thinking FOTCM may be donating a bit to their activities.

Great, hopefully people else where start to think similar way and create global movement of debt collectors to free people from the burden. Free education for everyone!

Thanks for sharing Laura! That sounds like a really good cause. It's so sad how the western world extends, delays, and prolongs the practical apprenticeship for work. Currently I work in an environmental lab. This job requires having a bachelor's degree in science, but a six month citation or 1 year certificate would have been enough to turn even a middle school graduate into an effective technician in my opinion. Why the extra six years? That's $20k of education, at least.

Student loan debt for the middle class, garnished court fees for the underclass. It's a dream come true for a debtor's prison investor.

For federal student loans, there are a lot of repayment plans out there so that no one should get into financial trouble with them.

Private student loans are evil.

For other debt, like medical and credit card, bankruptcy will erase those as well as many other kinds of debt. Bankrupcty is in the US constitution and perhaps education of the bankruptcy option is needed.

hlat said:
For federal student loans, there are a lot of repayment plans out there so that no one should get into financial trouble with them.

Theoretically, yes. But how does it feel to start your working life with an average debt of $30 000 in your twenties?
http://projectonstudentdebt.org/state_by_state-data.php

My sister in law recently told us that when starting to date, young people not only ask each other about their favorite foods and if they want to have children or not, but also how much debt each party has, to glean where to go from there in case the relationship works out. That's evil ...

hlat said:
For other debt, like medical and credit card, bankruptcy will erase those as well as many other kinds of debt. Bankrupcty is in the US constitution and perhaps education of the bankruptcy option is needed.

If it would be that easy more people would do it. Fact is, in many cases there are more disadvantages than advantages, see here for example:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/bankruptcy-advantages-and-disadvantages.html

M.T.

The level of student loan debt is astonishing.
John Oliver the current affairs satirist covered this topic recently

He can be a little crude, but he highlights the problem clearly - here is a you tube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pjd1QEA0c

I'm sorry I do not agree with your assessment.
Minas Tirith said:
hlat said:

Theoretically, yes. But how does it feel to start your working life with an average debt of $30 000 in your twenties?
http://projectonstudentdebt.org/state_by_state-data.php
It works in practice too. And they would then feel better that the student loans would not be repaid and just disappear at the end of the term. Income-Based Repayment Plan (IBR Plan). Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan (Pay As You Earn Plan). _https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-driven

Minas Tirith said:
hlat said:
For other debt, like medical and credit card, bankruptcy will erase those as well as many other kinds of debt. Bankruptcy is in the US constitution and perhaps education of the bankruptcy option is needed.
If it would be that easy more people would do it. Fact is, in many cases there are more disadvantages than advantages, see here for example:
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/bankruptcy-advantages-and-disadvantages.html
For the vast majority of people in debt, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Legally bankruptcy is easy; it is the social stigma created by overlord creditor banks and financial institutions that make it emotional and psychologically difficult to do.

just on the subject of bankruptcy, in the UK, the one debt that cannot be 'erased', via bankruptcy, is student loan debt. I had a friend who went bankrupt and she was still paying that off, at something like £50 a month. Initially, the rules are that you don't have to pay it back till you hit a certain income bracket (and if you never reached it, you didn't pay it back - not sure if that's still in effect). And this was when the majority of people i knew were racking up about £3,000 a year (accommodation, tuition, extras) - at the most.

Now it's anything up to £9,000 a year (that took 4 years) - this is according to the maximum banks are now offering as loans to students. I saw an advertisement for it the other day...

From personal experience, it was probably one of the best decisions i ever made. Once you've declared bankruptcy, the limits on the person are: they cannot be a financial controller of a company, a director; your bank account may be frozen at the most basic for up to 6 years, but you can be 'discharged' sooner, ie able to build up your credit, because of this obtaining a mortgage or other securities may be difficult or prohibitively expensive; and if you are working, there is always the possibility they will attempt to have you 'negotiate' with your creditors.

This was back in January 2008 and i was number 500 and something of that year who had been processed. Ironically it costs about £400 to 'process' you - an amount i hadn't ever spent prior to doing it!

You're made to go in front of an adjudicator and explain your reasons and they're very understanding, but i was lucky to have had a guide who not only suggested it, but advised on how to navigate the bureaucracy. And strangely enough, her black cab boyfriend was the originator of the idea and he said he had a feeling something was going to happen to the banks, thus possibly making it more difficult to do in the future - this wasn't the case, but he was right about the banks.

it is the social stigma created by overlord creditor banks and financial institutions that make it emotional and psychologically difficult to do.
This is so true. Even if it wouldn't affect them or their future plans, i know many people who could benefit, who wouldn't 'dare'. Were the world constructed as the mainstream thinks it is, perhaps the stigma may be justified, but it isn't.

I was discharged in less than a year and never even dreamed of borrowing another penny. I did it in the first place because my jobs were always very low paid (creative industries) and the areas i had chosen to live were beginning to be gentrified, so costs began to soar. I can't say i haven't worked the system to my advantage where possible, but this was after the fact. It coincided with many changes my life, particularly the idea of opting out of something i never believed in. There were many others in my position; many had other options where money was concerned, or they identified with their jobs and just saw it as the sacrifice you have to make; and for me, the sacrifice was too great. Added: And those who couldn't pay it off, are still paying it off; at least 10 years on.

Afterward, i was able to imagine what i could do, where i could go. I began to dream of working abroad, travelling, even just dropping out till i had a better idea of what i wanted to do. Whereas before, the spectre of brown envelopes (bills) and bailiffs literally terrorised me daily. I've never been that good with money, growing up it was a huge issue, but in reality, for what i wanted to 'achieve', from where i came from, with the knowledge i had at the time, it was one of the few options. I got my first loan for £3,000 at 18.

I can only imagine the relief those recipients of such kindness feel. But i do remember when this was first reported back during occupy. I wasn't sure it was such a great idea at first, because it felt like another way of justifying and supporting the very dictators who coerced you in the first place, but, i can see how it is actually turning the system against itself. As well it being as an empathic message that is harder for the RWA's to dispute.

Just my thoughts and experiences.

A brief RT interview i came across in my feed, giving an overview of the movement, and that they will reconvene following the 'world largest protest' against climate change(?). Something like that, i've heard a few people talking about it.

Occupy Wall Street’s “Strike Debt” campaign on Wednesday announced it had bought and then forgiven nearly $4 million in student debt since January. Buying existing loans from creditors for pennies on the dollar, the group would then turn around and released the debtors from their repayment obligations. RT’s Alexey Yaroshevsky takes a look at the act of charity that is also sending a strong political message.

https://youtu.be/eHX39rYOoUE?rel=0

Back
Top Bottom