Need advice for a reflux episode

RedHairss

A Disturbance in the Force
So recently I have gone into a tailspin with my stress and have had 6 anxiety attacks in the 2 weeks now this isn't that serious the serious part is coming up.

So my stress is the main cause of my acid reflux and i don't really take anything for my acid reflux because usually it doesn't act up to bad but every now and then it kicks me in the butt.

So currently I quit my job because i couldn't deal with the stress and it was causing really bad reflux. While i was dealing with this stress i had the stupid idea to drink some beer when i went out to hang with a friend and i regretted it but i made an even dumber mistake and drank more the next night because the pain was a bit unbearable. So i am now sitting here with a very irritated esophagus and i am currently taking nexium right now but what i wanna know is what are some nice remedies to relieve some of the pain until it heals a bit to where i can deal with it? because its driving me crazy, i can barely sit and play video games i'm constantly having to stand up and walk around because i'm already a very anxious person.

So if you could suggest any remedies that would help soothe my throat and promote the healing of the esophagus quicker that would be so incredibly helpful.

If stress is the cause of all this, then I'd suggest Eiriu Eolas. It's online:

http://eiriu-eolas.org/online-version/

For throat irritation, I would try gargling with baking soda to neutralize the acid, but don't swallow more than a few drops, because the stomach itself does need to be acidic. The best way to prevent reflux is to get the stomach to acidify quickly and pass the food on to the gut, so that the acid doesn't sit in the stomach and migrate upwards. I find that eating some lemon helps with this. Peppermint helps slightly. Cider vinegar may help as well, but for me it's not as effective as lemon.

I would skip a meal or two to let the acid drain and make sure the stomach clears properly, and when it's empty, take vitamin C and magnesium, and do this whenever I have this kind of problem.

It is possible to have a low stomach acid problem meaning your stomach doesn't get acidic enough to open the stomach valve, so instead the food sits there and migrates upward. In this case you need to supplement with HCl+Pepsin according to the protocol for hypochlorhydria.

Acid blockers are bad for you, the stomach is supposed to be acidic after all. If not, you either throw up or the food passes to your gut unsterilized, ruining your gut biome and causing a GI infection. If I were you the first thing I would do is stop taking the Nexium (if it is one of those drugs where you can do so safely).

Also, I'm curious why you registered to this forum specifically? Can you introduce yourself in the Newbies section and tell us about yourself?

Everytime this happens to me i don't just feel the irritation its like theres a lump in my throat and it can get quite distressing sometimes especially when i decide to skip a meal.. and sometimes when i skip a meal if i tr y to eat the feeling gets a bit more intense but i honestly think its all just stress and anxiety.

Hi RedHairrs. I had a bout of acid reflux/heartburn only one time in my life and it was awful. Having to deal with it repeatedly must be very hard.

Aside from the beers, what are you eating on a daily basis, RedHairrs?

Having trouble eating anything, whenever i eat something its really painful so i been mostly eating yogurt and applesauce and i've been puree some other things to eat those also, but mostly i'm eating ice cream, yogurt and applesauce at the moment

You are eating things that perpetuates your symptoms, avoid all kind of dairy, sugar, tomato, alcohol while you stabilizate a bit, but your definitive solution can be a change in your diet (paleo or cetogenic).

As others have said, best thing to do is to switch to a paleo style, dairy- and gluten free diet. It's not good to go "cold turkey" implementing all changes at once, but to proceed gradually. Have a look at the threads in the Health and Diet section to gather necessary information.

Here's a "funny" video clip about heart burn that highlights the absurdity of so called acid blockers:

https://youtu.be/GpDXERxQHUY

RedHairss said:
Everytime this happens to me i don't just feel the irritation its like theres a lump in my throat and it can get quite distressing sometimes especially when i decide to skip a meal.. and sometimes when i skip a meal if i tr y to eat the feeling gets a bit more intense but i honestly think its all just stress and anxiety.

I just want to state this at the beginning here, there is no "quick fix" pill to help people with their physical/mental/emotional problems. You have to want to do the things that will, actually, help you to repair the damages done to you by the wrong diet and stressful situations we all face today.

There has been quite a bit of research done by alternative medical professionals and they have found that, as monotonic said, acid reflux is not a symptom of too much acid in the stomach, but a symptom of NOT ENOUGH acid in the stomach. Drinking something acidic, like the lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar in a glass of water may help. Regular medical doctors don't even want to know about this as they are programmed to only sell the pharmaceutical products at their disposal.

Eating the Standard American Diet that has been thrust upon us for decades now is causing all kinds of health problems, of which acid reflux is one of them. It's been shown that eating a high carb diet almost turns off the acid production in the stomach so in order to start digesting food again, we need help. This is where HCI Betaine comes in. It's an hydrochloric acid supplement. (I take three of them before each meal.) Some also use ox bile to help in the digestion of fats - which we should be eating a whole lot of, but that needs to be introduced gradually.

Also, grains and dairy (gluten and casein) cause mental and emotional instability, along with leaky gut that causes the autoimmune diseases so many people suffer from so stopping them will help with stressful feelings. Slowly transitioning to a high fat/medium protein/low carb diet helps with mental, emotional and physical well-being. (BTW, beer has gluten in it. It's the barely.)

As for helping with stress now, as has been suggested, the Eiriu Eolas breathing and meditation program helps with reducing stress almost instantly. You can watch the videos for free at the link provided. After reading the intro to what EE is, there is a link at the bottom of the page that will take you to the free online version. To understand how to do the breathing techniques, you have to watch the first video in its entirety. Then, once you have the breathing methods down, go to the second video to do the complete exercise.

I have never had anyone not feel relaxed and at ease after doing the complete program. This is an anti-stress program that helps immediately to combat stress. The pipe breathing that you will learn on the first video will help you when you feel stress creeping up on you. You can do it anytime, anywhere. The whole program is best done only two times a week. Listening to the Prayer of the Soul at the end of the program is suggested to be listed to at night before you go to sleep. It is a meditative exercise.

If you have any questions about the EE program, or anything else for that matter, just ask us and we will be glad to answer your questions with the best of our ability. But, as said, you must want to do the reading, do the EE program in order to heal yourself.

When I stopped eating ALL forms of wheat within a week my severe acid reflux stopped. It seemed nothing short of a miracle.

As I was adapting to a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet, I would have a rare incident of reflux when I ate a lot of beef fat, but I found, as the others
have suggested, that taking HCI Betaine helped. There can be a very long transition period , months for some people's digestive to adapt and change over from being
a carb burner to a fat burner.

When you have a very bad reflux incident, it can help to take about a half a teaspoon of baking soda and dissolve it in a cup of warm water and gargle with it and drink about a half
a cup of the solution. You can vary the amount a little but no more than a full teaspoon. This will neutralize your stomach acid for a while so you should not eat for several hours afterwards, but it will sooth the acid burns in the throat.

Good Luck.

Nienna said:
RedHairss said:

I just want to state this at the beginning here, there is no "quick fix" pill to help people with their physical/mental/emotional problems. You have to want to do the things that will, actually, help you to repair the damages done to you by the wrong diet and stressful situations we all face today.

There has been quite a bit of research done by alternative medical professionals and they have found that, as monotonic said, acid reflux is not a symptom of too much acid in the stomach, but a symptom of NOT ENOUGH acid in the stomach. Drinking something acidic, like the lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar in a glass of water may help. Regular medical doctors don't even want to know about this as they are programmed to only sell the pharmaceutical products at their disposal.

Eating the Standard American Diet that has been thrust upon us for decades now is causing all kinds of health problems, of which acid reflux is one of them. It's been shown that eating a high carb diet almost turns off the acid production in the stomach so in order to start digesting food again, we need help. This is where HCI Betaine comes in. It's an hydrochloric acid supplement. (I take three of them before each meal.) Some also use ox bile to help in the digestion of fats - which we should be eating a whole lot of, but that needs to be introduced gradually.

Also, grains and dairy (gluten and casein) cause mental and emotional instability, along with leaky gut that causes the autoimmune diseases so many people suffer from so stopping them will help with stressful feelings. Slowly transitioning to a high fat/medium protein/low carb diet helps with mental, emotional and physical well-being. (BTW, beer has gluten in it. It's the barely.)

As for helping with stress now, as has been suggested, the Eiriu Eolas breathing and meditation program helps with reducing stress almost instantly. You can watch the videos for free at the link provided. After reading the intro to what EE is, there is a link at the bottom of the page that will take you to the free online version. To understand how to do the breathing techniques, you have to watch the first video in its entirety. Then, once you have the breathing methods down, go to the second video to do the complete exercise.

I have never had anyone not feel relaxed and at ease after doing the complete program. This is an anti-stress program that helps immediately to combat stress. The pipe breathing that you will learn on the first video will help you when you feel stress creeping up on you. You can do it anytime, anywhere. The whole program is best done only two times a week. Listening to the Prayer of the Soul at the end of the program is suggested to be listed to at night before you go to sleep. It is a meditative exercise.

If you have any questions about the EE program, or anything else for that matter, just ask us and we will be glad to answer your questions with the best of our ability. But, as said, you must want to do the reading, do the EE program in order to heal yourself.

The main cause of my anxiety and stress right now is the distress and pain i am currently suffering from with this acid reflux bout, i have decided to pick up some Aloe Vera juice and try it instead of Nexium, i only took nexium once so i don't need to ween off it but i am going to try the natural route with some Aloe Vera Juice, i really hope it works because this is making me want to pull my hair out, i can barely sleep and my eating habits are horrible right now.

RedHairss said:
The main cause of my anxiety and stress right now is the distress and pain i am currently suffering from with this acid reflux bout, i have decided to pick up some Aloe Vera juice and try it instead of Nexium, i only took nexium once so i don't need to ween off it but i am going to try the natural route with some Aloe Vera Juice, i really hope it works because this is making me want to pull my hair out, i can barely sleep and my eating habits are horrible right now.

Try reading up on the diet threads if you can. It was a real change in perspective for me to see how big of a role the foods we eat have in how we think and feel. Stress can have a number of sources and diet is a biggie. And then other stresses pile on becomes a vicious cycle. Saturated fats provide some of the main building blocks for a healthy nervous system. If you don't have enough it's quite easy to be on edge. Combine that with all the info gathered on the forum about how allergens like gluten and casein cause such a wide spectrum of issues and you've really got a good starting point to work from. I can also attest to the benefits of giving these things up. I never went to the doctor for my heartburn so I don't know for sure that it was acid reflux of not, but I would get it pretty severely and regularly. Giving up gluten was main thing in getting rid of it. You can try all sorts of temporary remedies but I highly doubt the issue will resolve itself until changes are made with diet. The foods we eat can be a big source of stress and it's really a shame that so many suffer unnecessarily because of it. And likewise, the proper foods can also pave the way for real health. I sometimes feel like an evangelist for food :lol: just because it really is almost miraculous in how it feels to be relieved from so many issues just by working on these things.

It sounds like the next meal's food is sweeping the acid out of your esophagus which is why it gets worse when you skip a meal. In this case I'd follow shellycheval's baking soda advice when it starts to worsen, skip the next meal, and when the stomach clears take some supplements that will help you to heal such as vitamin C.

This is for short term relief, you will want to get the HCl as soon as you can, which will fix your acid levels as well as help the stomach produce it's own. You should be able to find it at a health food store, try to get a large tablet size (up to 650mg) with as few fillers or additives as you can (capsules rather than tablets). The HCl supplements MUST have pepsin added, I made the mistake of getting some without it.

Hello RedHairss and everyone.:)
I was dxd with GERD/IBS, inflammation back in 2005. Had tests and given prescriptions, of which I "googled" immediately and chose NOT to take the purple pill, or any others given. I didnt fill them.
I found a book that changed my life when I went organic.
Yet, there are times with random things I find my throat swelling a bit, hard to swallow (usually with some type of GF cookie, bread,etc and then the old regurge returns.
I began acv with water and stevia quiets the episodes. But not sure if it is a sign of a sensitivity, for I am unsure what triggers it.
I hope you find your solution soon.

Best of health.

RedHairss, for what it's worth, you might try some of the B group vitamins to alleviate your stress.
Then to help with your reflux, put a couple of bricks under the head of your bed to raise it up at night, this will help you to sleep, at least.
Good Luck.

Why You Should Never Take Antacids for Digestive Reflux​

Story at a glance:
  • Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) inhibit acid production in your stomach and are routinely used to treat acid reflux. An estimated 15% of the U.S. population are on PPIs. Antacids like Tums neutralize acid in your stomach but don’t block production. They’re the least harmful, as their effects are temporary. Be sure to read the ingredients list, however, as many acid neutralizing medications contain aluminum hydroxide, a toxic compound that impairs your body’s zeta potential
  • If you regularly suffer from heartburn or acid reflux, inhibiting acid production is actually the last thing you want to do
  • Acid reflux occurs when contents from your stomach back up into your esophagus, causing stomach acid to irritate the lining of your esophagus. However, excess acid is not the problem. Low acid is, because the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is pH sensitive and only closes once sufficient acidity is present in the stomach
  • Other causes of heartburn include hiatal hernia, medications and foods that relax the LES, foods that irritate the stomach, obesity, smoking and helicobacter pylori infection
  • PPIs and antacids are inadvisable as none of the potential underlying causes involves excess stomach acid. What you need is more acid. Long term use of PPIs can compromise your health, as insufficient stomach acid has been linked to asthma, GI-related issues, skin diseases, depression, gallbladder disease, migraines, macular degeneration, osteoporosis and a variety of autoimmune conditions

Attachments

• never-take-antacids-for-digestive-reflux-pdf.pdf
    251.1 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom