Moscow — Cassiopeia ("Москва — Кассиопея")

rrraven

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
looking around on tv tropes a great site btw last night I came across this 1973 soviet sci-fi movie
(-http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph/Film/MoscowCassiopeia?from=Main.MoscowCassiopeia)

Moscow — Cassiopeia ("Москва — Кассиопея") and Teens in the Universe ("Отроки во Вселенной") are a Soviet sci-fi movie duology premiered in 1973 and 1974, respectively.

The films follow a group of teenagers who are sent on an antimatter-powered relativistic starship to the Cassiopeia constellation after Soviet scientists receive an alien signal from one of its stars. After selecting the crew consisting of the best students (one mentions he was chosen for his eidetic memory) and building a starship capable of reaching near-light speeds, they are launched on a mission to make First Contact with the mysterious senders of the signal. A stowaway accidentally sits on the ship controls and causes it to accelerate beyond the speed of light. While the journey does take several decades for those Earth-bound, it takes only moments for the starship crew. They arrive and encounter a ship of Human Aliens who manage to learn Russian ridiculously quickly. They explain that they are the last of their race, after their robots Turned Against Their Masters. However, instead of killing their creators, the robots sought to "improve" them by removing their emotions. This caused the entire race to stop reproducing, and they died out. Only those who were in space at the time of the revolt managed to survive. The teens decide to help the aliens retake their planet by shutting down the robots' master control. They finally manage to do that, at which point the aliens get their planet back, and the teens are informed by a Soviet government agent (who appears out of nowhere) that they are free to head home, as a diplomatic and humanitarian mission is on the way from Earth.

from wikipedia:
Synopsis :from the depths of the universe Earth can hear the radio signals of intelligent beings from a planet of the star system Shedar (Alpha Cassiopeia constellation). A project is set up, proposed by the young inventor Vitya Sereda, to send a spaceship to reach the planet - but the flight will last for decades, so the crew of the spaceship "Dawn " (Starship relativistic nuclear annihilation), is to be recruited from teenage students.

The project is all carefully thought out but student Fyodor Lobanov stows away aboard the starship and unwittingly causes it to transcend the speed of light and so reaching its target 27 years ahead of schedule...

I like this film very much: not because of its striking allusions to Cassiopaea and other related metaphors, but because it is a high quality youth film, a great sample of the so-called Golden Soviet Collection.

Forum members who are not Russian speakers may also wish to watch and listen to its soundtrack to have a better idea of the Soviet films quality in general: they were all very meaningful and edifying. The song is a farewell of the Soviet teenagers: they say what they will take from Earth with them in their cosmic journey. Here is my translation of the soundtrack:

The night is gone and took the pain away
The Earth is sleeping, let it rest please
The Earth, just like you and me
Has a life-long way to go

I will take this big world with me
Every day of it and every hour
And if I forget something
The stars will hardly accept us
If I forget something

I will take with me the songs of the birds
I will take with me the running streams
I will take with me the lightnings lights
Whispering winds and winter forests

I will take this big world with me
Every day of it and every hour
And if I forget something

https://youtu.be/tkaN56f94jw

Ooh I'd love to be able to see this, but there don't seem to be any subtitles...

On the plus side, the whole movie is in the internet archive: https://archive.org/details/FromMoscowToCassiopeiamoskva-kassiopeya

Edit: It seems I've complained to fast, I think I can find some subtitles...

Edit2: Great, the movie including English subtitles is on youtube :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AKqWt-28PA

Sounds like an interesting film. With the aid of the link, I plan to watch it, if it still works that is.
Thanks for the link TM.

Thanks for the reminder about this remarkable film of my Soviet childhood! I love reading to my child old interesting fantastic literature. This film was based on the book Avenir Zak "Moscow - Cassiopeia" - "Teens in the Universe." Unfortunately this book in English I have not found only in Russian

I do not know true or not, but this film created a furor in the USSR. Fees from the cinema was enough to completely cover the cost of the USSR for social needs: a whole year Hospitals and schools 15 union republics worked for money from the rental of the two films.

Special effects in it surprised even the creator of Hollywood blockbusters Steven Spielberg, who studied the combined experience of filming Soviet filmmakers. In an interview, he admired: "How is Russian in the early 1970s, when there were no computer graphics, so masterfully managed to remove weightlessness?".

Wished it worked. Dadnabit. I was always interested in how thing were in the old Soviet Union, I made efforts to do so, but that's a difficult task from Amerika, I knew whatever I was told about the people was woefully inaccurate at best.

Back
Top Bottom