nootropics?

whitecat

The Force is Strong With This One
Hi, I have been reading about nootropics, also known as "smart drugs" and I was wondering if anyone on here has tried them? And do they work? They are natural and nonpharma and supposedly are great for brain fog, anxiety and depression.

Some of them probably work. I know one that is often recommended, Choline. When I started making liposomal Vitamin C, I used non-GMO soy lecithin which is high in Choline and I did notice a difference in mental clarity, etc. Other supplements that help the mitochondria also can help brain function like PQQ. And Dr. Gaby recommends French Oak Extract which I haven't tried yet. Rhodiola, too, is recommended to help brain function.

I was thinking of ordering piracetam which you are supposed to take with choline. Anybody try that?

Having taken nootropics and been involved in the industry in the past, I can tell you that they do work and can give you a useful IQ boost. Piracetam is inferior to Noopept btw, although piracetam is the classic one discovered decades and known for its remarkable lack of toxicity. Piracetam (and all the -tams like Oxiracetam, Aniracetam, and Pramiracetam) upregulates your acetylcholine, and that's why a Choline supplement (Choline bitartrate, CDP Choline, or others) is recommended, because Choline is depleted and the result is a 'choline headache'. So more choline is great.

That said, I agree entirely with Gawan. Having taken Nootropics in the past and being on the Ketogenic diet, I recommend switching your diet.

By slowly transitioning to the ketogenic not only will you relieve brain fog, thereby attaining a powerful mental sharpness and stability, you'll also gain a leaner, stronger, healthier physique. Your emotions will also level out, since the lack of carbs will prevent massive blood sugar spikes that are so often the cause of emotional variance. Ketosis is simply vastly superior to any nootropic I've found.

Combine that with Eiriu Eolas as an effective meditation program and you have a cocktail for increase cognitive function and emotional growth.

Also, having taken up smoking to get the IQ edge as well, I can say that Nicotine is wonderful for intelligence as well.

Nootropics are great, I am a great supporter of them. But first get your house in order. Meditate, improve diet, exercise. Those improvements will be far greater. Then you can look into cognitive enhances like tobacco and nootropics, and you'll get small but significant results from both.

That's my two cents.

Thank you we wei wu, that is what I wanted to know.

I already smoke...why do you say it increases intelligence? Although I may have read something like that in political ponerology??? That was why the nazi's were so antismoking???

I can't seem to do the no sugar part of the ketogenic diet I am sorry to say! I am a sugar addict.

whitecat said:
I can't seem to do the no sugar part of the ketogenic diet I am sorry to say! I am a sugar addict.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you eat that has sugar in it?

whitecat said:

I already smoke...why do you say it increases intelligence? Although I may have read something like that in political ponerology??? That was why the nazi's were so antismoking???

Smoking has an appreciable benefit to IQ and productivity. Small, but since IQ is typically stable over the average persons' life, every extra point is desirable. The anti-smoking trend of Nazis and other parties is probably related to its effect on intelligence. We see the same trends today.

One thing to watch out for. Sugar can be quite the detriment. It makes your mood less stable, probably lowers IQ, and certainly contributes to an unhappy life. You'll get huge benefits by cutting it out slowly, moreso than with nootropics. Its difficult, but definitely worth it.

PS. There are a few nootropic boards where people post their stacks and self-experiments you can check out. That will let you learn more about it without blowing your money. Forums like 'Longicity' I think, and many others.

Heimdallr, It's not so much food with sugar, it's beverages....coca cola (lots), cups of tea with 3 sugars, wine before bed. I just have these constant cravings for sugary drinks.

Wue wei, thanks for the tip on the forums.

whitecat said:

There's a lot of articles on SOTT about smoking and nicotine. You'll find a good selection listed here. Here's two on cognitive performance in particular:
http://www.sott.net/article/269265-Brain-Researchers-Smoking-increases-intelligence
http://www.sott.net/article/235216-Science-is-conclusive-Tobacco-increases-work-capacity

And three on the big picture:
http://www.sott.net/article/139304-Let-s-All-Light-Up-
http://www.sott.net/article/254745-Nicotine-The-Zombie-Antidote
http://www.sott.net/article/280903-Lets-all-light-up-What-you-dont-know-about-tobacco

In addition, here's one article on how nicotine affects the transmission of signals in the brain:
http://www.sott.net/article/138489

EDIT: As for dealing with sugar cravings: One thing to keep in mind is that on the ketogenic diet, carbs are replaced with (animal) fats, which are very satiating and satisfying. This is the key to transitioning: without adequate fat, cravings and/or tiredness will always remain. But some people still need to struggle for an initial period before the cravings go away.

For some reading on the ketogenic diet, you can check the "Recommended Books: List and Guide" thread. The second post contains the guide section for health and diet, and points to further information.

Dear Whitecat,

I just wanted to say that as a former sugar addict, i have found truth in the statement that sugar really influences your moods. Last Christmas i re-started eating sugar as in chocolate and pie etc., icecreams and after 9 months on the Atkins and Keto diet (Atkins trasitioned in Keto) I could really tell that I had a lot more aggression all of a sudden and I was a lot more depressed than usual! I ate sugar and carbs for a month and now i am back to Keto and gone are the mood swings! Viva keto! - the only thing I miss is the social aspect. When you normally go out and get some coffee with something a piece of pie or so..Starbucks etc. Aren't selling keto snack options:3( (and sugar addiction activates the same location in the brain where addiction to certain hard drugs is located)

Anyways, all the best!

Thanks for the smoking links psalehesost. How interesting that people were actually put to death for smoking. I would not be at all surprised if they started doing that again here in the USA, haha.

I don't think its intelligence so much as creativity that they want to (and have) stamp out. Hey did you know there are smoking perverts....guys who think smoking is so dirty and disgusting that it turns them on to see pictures of women smoking. I kid you not. Totally brainwashed and probably on psychotropic drugs....

Could someone give me an idea of how long sugar withdrawal lasts?

whitecat said:
Could someone give me an idea of how long sugar withdrawal lasts?

How long it takes, is probably different for each person. But if you stick strictly to a paleo diet, or even better a keto diet, the cravings will disappear. The key here however is that you should be rather strict about the things you should remove from your diet completely like gluten, sugars, milk products. You can take it slowly and do it step by step. It is worth it, for sure!

whitecat said:

Hi whitecat,

The neurotransmitter that activate the neurons in the frontal cortex (responsible for critical thinking and memory) is labeled n-acetyl choline. The "n" stands for nicotine. There are various causes for reduction in acetalcholine such as stress, poor diet, toxins to name a few, so nicotine, which also fires these neurons, helps.

That's because sugar isn't food, it's a drug.

Hi Whitecat

Check out the Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation? or the book Keto-Adapted if you haven't already.
It's important to know what you are doing when it comes to being keto adapted.

L-Carnatine may be helpful for overcoming the sugar cravings. Sugar cravings may also be a sign of serotonin imbalance which is probably from damage to the intestines - if this is the case it may take some time to overcome (heal the intestines). Broth and chicken (for the tryptophan, or just tryptophan supplements) may help with this.
Another possibility is candida or other nasty gut bacteria may have taken up residents are are demanding sugar (they will make you crave things). Xylotol may be good in that case - but go easy in this situation as it will kill them off which you don't want to do too quickly.

Like others have mentioned, whenever you crave sugar eat some fat. Fat-bombs (keto custard, see the recipe section) made with xylotol will help with cravings as they are sweet.
If it lasts more than a few weeks it's likely you are missing some nutrients/vitamins and/or your guts are badly damaged.

Back
Top Bottom