Kicking Anti-Depressants Outta My Life

ggen

Jedi Master
It was suggested to me that I post about my ongoing experience in giving up the antidepressant Effexor. I hesitated to post, but after discussing it with friends and having a long talk with my SO, I decided I really just needed to get over myself. I was embarrassed when I really didn't need to be. Who wouldn't be depressed living in the world we live in?! How many others have been duped into taking a pill?! I was also told that I was just as much a victim of the situation because of the psychopathic, pill pushing, pharmaceutical companies and docs. I see the point/logic there, but have always had trouble seeing myself as a victim (of anything). I've never embraced the whole 'victim' mentality. For me, the tougher the better. It may hurt like hell, but by golly, I'll be all that much stronger. So...I'm posting in hopes that my words/experience may help someone else. (and because I need to get over myself :-[)

I was prescribed Effexor after receiving a 'diagnosis' of depression/anxiety disorder in 2006. I was desperate at the time and willing to to try anything. After having taken 150mg of Effexor for several years, I decided about 18 months ago to start a taper so I could eventually wean myself off. I went from 150mg to 75mg to 35mg. For the last 12 months I've been at 35mg daily. The first dosage change (150mg-75mg) was terrible and it took about a month for my brain to adjust. The second taper (75mg-35mg) was a breeze.

Around Christmastime last month, I tried going cold turkey without them (35mg-0mg). I was running low on the script and didn't want to mess with getting a new doctor and having more prescribed (just relocated out of state a few months ago). I wanted to give them up anyway, so why not? That was a bad idea. I didn't think it through and I paid the price. The withdrawals kicked in after 36 hours and by day 3 I was very sick (ie, mental fog, flu-like fatigue, headache). So, I broke down and took another dose and came up with a different plan. Since I started the new taper, (1 pill every other day, then every 2 days, every 3, and so on), I'm doing much better. The withdrawals are tolerable (at this point anyway) and I have 2 doses left with the last one being taken the first week of February. The real work will begin once I take that last dose.

I'm feeling optimistic as the difference between 2006 and Today is vast. I'm now fully ketoadapted (former vegetarian), practice EE twice a week, and most importantly, have actual practical coping strategies. I found SOTT, The Forum, and The Work. I feel like I have an arsenal if I need it. :D

In short, I'm excited. I want the rest of my brain back! I figure I'm in the best possible place both psychologically and physically, that there's no better time but NOW, to ditch this evil.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

BrightLight11 said:
In short, I'm excited. I want the rest of my brain back! I figure I'm in the best possible place both psychologically and physically, that there's no better time but NOW, to ditch this evil.

That's awesome! :D :hug2:

It sounds like you're on the right track with your diet changes as well as EE. Have you looked into supplementing any neurotransmitter precursors like 5-htp, l-tyrosine or l-theanine? Please note that I'm not a physician, so I'm not attempting to tell you what to do. It seems though that even with being keto-adapted, you could use the boost of having your brain chemicals in a good balance, specifically gaba, serotonin and dopamine...

Best of luck! You can do it!

EDIT: I'd like to suggest checking out this lecture on neurotransmitters... lots of good information here, if you can weed out the good from the bad (ignore the stuff about carbs, basically, and keep in mind what you've learned about keto-adaptation): _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgeIIN92KK4

Hi Johnathan

I neglected to mention that I have a bottle of the 5-HTP 'Natrol' brand (100mg). I've been taking them for about 3 weeks now.
Maybe that's why this latest taper is going so well?

Thank you for the link. I'l check it out. :)

That's great news BrightLight!

I personally gave up an embarassingly long time addiction to a different anti-depressant almost a month ago and it's difficult but like you, I've had enough of this devil :p

The biggest difficulty for me has been that I have been forced to experience life head-on now rather than burying my head in the sand through the use of chemicals. Most days this isn't a problem but when something particularly grim, depressing or traumatic occurs in my life, there is always that temptation to escape. The emotional ups-and-downs are....unfamiliar to say the least!

When I tapered to zero I had some pretty bad insomnia for some days but found melatonin helped considerably with this. I was on an SSRI but as Effexor also inhibits the reuptake of serotonin I'm guessing that the serotonin rebound might cause a similar reaction when you quit completely (serotonin gets metabolized into melatonin and the lack of melatonin can cause insomnia).

That said, the 5-HTP might solve that problem for you too.

I wish you all the best mate. :)

Jonathan said:
Have you looked into supplementing any neurotransmitter precursors like 5-htp

5-htp is a good idea! kind of like a natural anti-depressant? it may help with the withdrawal symptoms

"5-HTP is used for sleep disorders, depression, anxiety, migraine and tension-type headaches, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and along with prescription drugs to treat seizure disorder and Parkinson's disease.

How does it work?
5-HTP works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of the chemical serotonin. Serotonin can affect sleep, appetite, temperature, sexual behavior, and pain sensation. Since 5-HTP increases the synthesis of serotonin, it is used for several diseases where serotonin is believed to play an important role including depression, insomnia, obesity, and many other conditions."

Well done for all the progress you have made BrightLight11, it seems like it's been a big struggle for you, be proud of yourself!
Keep on going, I'm certain you can do it :D

Well done, BrightLight11! There's a lot of threads on brain chemistry which may help, but sticking with the keto diet will be the best in the long run.

Here's a couple of links on balancing brain chemistry:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16292.msg139448.html#msg139448
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28419.msg353818.html#msg353818

Keep on keeping on. :hug:

edit: funky formatting

Congratulations BrightLight11, and all who chose to give up Effexor or any other anti-depressant for that matter. In my personal life, i have been surrounded by people who have been on those things for decades, and they are more difficult to wean off of, than heroine, which says a lot!

I can also testify to the fact that most persons change 'a lot' when 'on' anti-depressants but most don't seem to truly notice this change? They adapt to the new 'them' for better or for worse. Having struggled with long term addiction to opiates on several occasions myself, i have always been very leary of anti-depressants because of how much i saw my friends and family 'hooked' on them, while calling me an 'addict'.

The fact is, i have been off hard drugs for years now but very few, only one in fact, of them have been able to quit their 'medication'. Doublespeak for 'hard drug' disguised as Mr Feelgood doll.

Keep working on it until you succeed. It is the most amazing thing to wake up and be able to trust that our emotions are not being jumbled-up or somehow suppressed, no matter how challenging this may be at first. Hats off to you!!

Thank you for sharing your story, BrightLight11. Congratulations for taking steps to improve your health for the better reality.

In case you haven't checked out, "The Mood Cure by Julia Ross" is a great book to read for understanding and curing the neurological health.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mood-Cure-Program-Emotions-Today/dp/0142003646
You are already on the good diet, plus you have our support so I think you have a big advantage to overcome this than the most people. I hope you will be in a much better state and become more happy after the hard struggle. :hug:

Congrats BrightLight11, those anti-depressants are totally insidious overall & damage people across the spectrum of neurological health. I had my own short experience with this ten years ago dealing with chronic insomnia & depression which was diagnosed by doctors. I've forgotten the name now, they gave me an anti-depressant at a low dose to tackle the insomnia, which, on instinct, I thought was suspect. Tried it & all the other pills they promoted (some massive pills for breathing problems!) & I can honestly say that I've never been so zombified in my life! I was already numb but this was in a way I still can't articulate. It was so bad that I stopped after a few weeks thankfully.

BrightLight11 said:
It was suggested to me that I post about my ongoing experience in giving up the antidepressant Effexor. I hesitated to post, but after discussing it with friends and having a long talk with my SO, I decided I really just needed to get over myself. I was embarrassed when I really didn't need to be. Who wouldn't be depressed living in the world we live in?! How many others have been duped into taking a pill?! I was also told that I was just as much a victim of the situation because of the psychopathic, pill pushing, pharmaceutical companies and docs. I see the point/logic there, but have always had trouble seeing myself as a victim (of anything). I've never embraced the whole 'victim' mentality. For me, the tougher the better. It may hurt like hell, but by golly, I'll be all that much stronger. So...I'm posting in hopes that my words/experience may help someone else. (and because I need to get over myself :-[)

Yeah, I've never had the victim mentality either... but I've felt it at times which for me, is worse (probably due to overdeveloped mental side) & it was tough to reconcile. I think that your post will help others Even if they don't reply. It's helped me by stirring my feelings of that time & remembering what I've learned since then & not feeling so bad about it. I'm actually surprised! Well done again, & the advice already given is indeed a great arsenal at your disposal. :thup:

I don't have much to add BrightLight, other than to say well done! Not many people have successfully kicked antidepressants, and you seem to be well on track for healing. Just remember to update us on how you're doing, and if there are "bad days" in the future you can always get support here.

I hope this thread may serve as an inspiration to readers still on psychotropic drugs :) .

Hello BrightLight! Thank you for the post on your experience with an anti-depressant. I hope things go well for you and keep up the good work :) never took Effexor but I have taken Zoloft and also cut out taking the medication. Aside from causing dissociation I was diagnosed off of one meeting with a psychologist with MDD and then prescribed Zoloft after a 30 min consultation with a psychiatrist (as in I never saw this woman before or spoke to her...she went offof notes from the psychologist and asked me one or two follow up questions). I cried over something that would make anyone emotional, and have self inflicted injuries and they ran with it...eventually I pulled myself up by my own laces, changed diet, added goldenseal and fish oil. All in all you can do this. "How many others have been duped into taking a pill?! I was also told that I was just as much a victim of the situation because of the psychopathic, pill pushing, pharmaceutical companies and docs." Zoloft cold turkey and it took about 2 weeks for me to feel...FEEL...IT TOOK AWAY ME FEELING. I wasn't on it as long as you were on Effexor (only a month) and I'm glad I cut it out. A lot of people have a hard time, especially when being on anti-depressants for years, very well done. Stay excited, your mind can only get better :D

Good job brightlight11. I know what you mean about not wanting to feel like a victim. We all want to feel like we are in control of our lives but as we know there are many forces out there that actually do control us, be it our governments, pharmaceutical companies, gmo companies, the list goes on and on. It is important to understand that we all are actually victims of outside control and that we need to be vigilantly cutting our ties from these controllers.
Thanks for sharing, and I hope your continued quest to kick the pill is fully successful. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom