Historical Events Database - Coordination

Altair, you could check the public user interface to get an idea of the HED events already published. :)

Data said:
It took me a bit longer than 2 weeks, but the work has been completed. The HED now has moved to an official location and has got a shiny new public interface for browsing (hope you like the peacock-colored theme)! :D

http://hed.quantumfuturegroup.org/

I've added it to Google for indexing and made extensive SEO (search engine optimizations). On the start page, you'll see an interactive timeline graph, showing all published events as little squares on the bottom, and the lifespans of ancient chroniclers as horizontal bars. You can zoom in or out with the slider at the bottom of the graph, and you can hover your mouse over all the bars and squares to get tooltip-like information.

If you click on a horizontal bar of a chronicler, all Events reported by him are displayed in red. You also can highlight displayed events by category by using the drop-down selection.

If you click on one of the Event-squares, the Event and all belonging citations are displayed below the graph.

The public interface also has a sortable and searchable Event List and an About page. Sources (book information etc.) are linked from each Event page.

Maybe you can click around a bit, test it, and report back if you have any suggestions etc. I've tested the site in Firefox and Chrome in both Windows and Linux, but haven't yet tested it on a Mac. Maybe someone using a Mac can tell me if it displays okay?

For all HED editors: The public interface of the HED only will show Events set to the state "published_web" (which is one higher than "review_passed"). Right now, there are about 40 published Events. It will fill up as we go along with the review process. The login link has changed, and I don't want to post it here because it's private from now on. Could all Editors who want to continue working with the HED send me a PM, so that I can send you the new login link? Thanks!

Altair said:
Can I contribute to the project somehow? I was thinking of adding some dates from different Russian Chronicles since many of them are available only in Old-Russian. The oldest chronicle dates to 11th century and describes events of the 9th century. Can it be beneficial to add events from the 9th century onwards?

It could be useful. Could you post a few examples in the "Historical Events Database - History" thread?

Altair said:
What kind of them? All or about Earth changes only?

Everything that fits into the following categories and subcategories:

ArcheologyEpidemic Mass Grave
ArcheologyDating Evidence
ArcheologyFlood Evidence
ArcheologyWar/Battle Evidence
ArcheologyConflagration Evidence
ArcheologyMass Migration Evidence
ArcheologyComet/Asteroid Evidence
ArcheologyEarthquake Evidence
ArcheologyVolcanic Eruption Evidence
ArcheologyCosmic Rays Evidence
ArcheologyClimate Evidence
ArcheologyEpigraphic Evidence
ArcheologyTsunami Evidence
ArcheologyCoins/Hoards
CelestialComet
CelestialFire in the sky
CelestialNova
CelestialMeteor or Meteorite
CelestialUFO
CelestialWrath of God
CelestialLunar Eclipse
CelestialFalling Fire
CelestialUnspecified Prodigies
CelestialTunguska-like event
CelestialElectric Universe
CelestialHalo
CelestialAsteroid
CelestialMeteor
CelestialMeteorite
CelestialSun activity
CelestialOther
CelestialSolar Eclipse
EnvironmentFall of Unusual Objects
EnvironmentUnusual Fire
EnvironmentUnusual Sounds
EnvironmentPlant Prodigies
EnvironmentPlasma Event
EnvironmentStrange Sounds
EnvironmentRock Falls
EnvironmentInsect Infestation
EnvironmentAnimal Prodigies
EnvironmentDust/Ash Veil
EnvironmentAtmospheric Prodigies
EnvironmentUnusual Weather
EnvironmentUnusual Disappearance
EnvironmentStrong Winds
EnvironmentAnimal Mass Death
EnvironmentDrought
EnvironmentFlood
EnvironmentRain
EnvironmentSnow
EnvironmentOther
EnvironmentPollution
EnvironmentTornados and Watersprouts
EnvironmentIce
EnvironmentHail
GeologyEarthquake
GeologySinkhole
GeologyTsunami
GeologyVolcanic Eruption
GeologyLandslide
GeologyRiver/Water Table Anomalies
GeologyOutgassing
GeologyOther
OtherGeomagnetic Storm
OtherAnimal attacks
OtherHigh Strangeness
OtherMystery
OtherOther
SocietyPeople
SocietyMassacre
SocietySlave Rebellion
SocietyProdigy
SocietyExpiation
SocietyAssassination
SocietyWar
SocietyMass Death
SocietyFamine
SocietyHuman Prodigies
SocietySack or Destruction of City
SocietyMass Migration
SocietyScience
SocietyEconomy
SocietyLaws and legal system
SocietyPolitics
SocietyMass sickness

I've sent you your login details, Altair.

How is it going with the edits, Zadig? Are you ready to submit one for review?

I read the manual and have some questions:

- very few Old-Russian Chronicles are translated into English, so if I'd like to add an event from a Russian/Old-Russian source which is not translated into English I need a Russian speaker who would be able to review it?
- As far as I understood the focus currently is on events before 500 AD, right? So does it make sense if I start adding events dated to the 9th century upwards? (The oldest Russian Chronicle describes events not earlier than 9th century)
- Is there a list of books/sources which have already been processed?
- Perhaps there is a list of sources which are to be processed in the future (todo list)? How can one be sure that the source in question hasn't already been processed?

Actually I could pick up any source which you could assign me if it has bigger priority for the moment.

Altair said:
- very few Old-Russian Chronicles are translated into English, so if I'd like to add an event from a Russian/Old-Russian source which is not translated into English I need a Russian speaker who would be able to review it?

Do you mean proofread it? I don't know Old-Russian, but certainly could try to help if needs to.

Altair said:
I read the manual and have some questions:

No, as long as you quote the original in cyrillic + your English translation. This way, any reader can prefer the original, or your translation, or check the accuracy of your translation. Simply mark your translation with [Translated by Editor]. However, if you find a proofreader, that's even better.

I'll do the reviews. I mostly make sure that the citation and citation location is accurate. Preferably you have some PDFs of the original, but web resources work too if the original is not available.

Altair said:
- As far as I understood the focus currently is on events before 500 AD, right? So does it make sense if I start adding events dated to the 9th century upwards? (The oldest Russian Chronicle describes events not earlier than 9th century)

Before 500AD is preferred, but if you don't have anything in that period, simply add what you have.

Altair said:
- Is there a list of books/sources which have already been processed?

Go to the "Sources" menu and seach for sources. For existing sources you will see exactly what has been quoted in the "Used" column.

Altair said:
- Perhaps there is a list of sources which are to be processed in the future (todo list)?

I don't have a Todo list. Maybe others, especially Laura, have some preferences. But we're still busy getting events in the "Draft" state reviewed.

Keit said:
Altair said:

Do you mean proofread it? I don't know Old-Russian, but certainly could try to help if needs to.

Yes, I mean proofreading (Russian -> English). Actually, you don't have to know Old-Russian if we don't want to translate quotes word by word. I found an excellent book by Borisenkov E.P Extreme weather events in Russian Chronicles (Борисенков Е.П. - Экстремальные природные явления в русских летописях - 1983). In this book he describes (in hundred pages in tabellar form) all weather-related events he could find in Russian Chronicles: comets, plagues, famines, droughts and so on with dates and sources. So I thought, we could try to transfer them to HED. Another excellent source is this page _http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/atext/russian.htm. It has many quotes from original sources.

Altair said:
Yes, I mean proofreading (Russian -> English). Actually, you don't have to know Old-Russian if we don't want to translate quotes word by word. I found an excellent book by Borisenkov E.P Extreme weather events in Russian Chronicles (Борисенков Е.П. - Экстремальные природные явления в русских летописях - 1983). In this book he describes (in hundred pages in tabellar form) all weather-related events he could find in Russian Chronicles: comets, plagues, famines, droughts and so on with dates and sources. So I thought, we could try to transfer them to HED. Another excellent source is this page _http://hbar.phys.msu.ru/gorm/atext/russian.htm. It has many quotes from original sources.

Great! Will be happy to help.

Keit said:
Altair said:

Great! Will be happy to help.

I sent you a PM. :)

Altair, in case you happen to find Huns / Avars mentioned in Old Russian Texts, could you please include appropriate texts in HED? Thanks.

In my sources I stumbled over them. Huns / Avars tend to pop up very suddenly for a very short time and then vanish again in the chronicles for about 70 years. They are connected with war / destruction events and very often there is treasure / gold / booty mentioned connected with the stories. From Middle European viewpoint, they came from the East (from East of Bavaria, from Pannonia, from East of Constantinople). They may or may not be a recurring celestial event with a cover story. I wondered if there is maybe something about them in the Slavic sources.

Dirgni said:
Altair, in case you happen to find Huns / Avars mentioned in Old Russian Texts, could you please include appropriate texts in HED? Thanks.

In my sources I stumbled over them. Huns / Avars tend to pop up very suddenly for a very short time and then vanish again in the chronicles for about 70 years. They are connected with war / destruction events and very often there is treasure / gold / booty mentioned connected with the stories. From Middle European viewpoint, they came from the East (from East of Bavaria, from Pannonia, from East of Constantinople). They may or may not be a recurring celestial event with a cover story. I wondered if there is maybe something about them in the Slavic sources.

I'll keep it in mind, Dirgni.

Data said:
How is it going with the edits, Zadig? Are you ready to submit one for review?

Zadig, you there? You have filed 2131 events to date, but only 24 so far have been reviewed. Could you submit one for review soon? The last one I received from you was 2 months ago.

Data, I added a couple of events and sources to Events COF. Could you please review them?

Many thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom