How good are you at skiing?

Ynna said:
Perhaps Laura could ask the C's next time what will be happening in the southern hemnisphere during the time when the north is being covered by deep snow.

I think its here:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35207.msg505802.html#msg505802

Laura said:
Q: (L) Okay, so in the next 5 years, what is the percentage of probability of the supervolcano at Yellowstone going off?

A: 58%

Q: (L) 58, is that it?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) 58 percent. Well, that's more than half, but still kind of 50/50 in the next five years. (Chu) There was a question we talked about today about what would happen in the southern hemisphere... (L) Yes. So, if there was a global superstorm like in the movie we watched today [The Day After Tomorrow], what goes on in the southern hemisphere during such an event? The movie only showed storms in the Northern Hemisphere.

A: Less violent storms but storms nonetheless.

Q: (L) What about an ice age?

A: Ice ages grip the south somewhat, but the greatest damage is via drought, floods, and earthquakes.

I also found this article about former ice ages and the southern half of Earth

_http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/03/040319071426.htm

An answer to the long-standing riddle of whether the Earth's ice ages occurred simultaneously in both the Southern and Northern hemispheres is emerging from the glacial deposits found in the high desert east of the Andes.

Using a new technique to gauge the effects of cosmic rays on minerals found in boulders carried by South American glaciers thousands of years ago, a group of scientists from the University of Wisconsin-Madison has demonstrated that the Earth's most recent ice ages were global events, likely driven by change in the atmosphere.

The work, reported in the current (March/April) issue of the Geological Society of America Bulletin, a leading earth science journal, is important because it reveals that ice ages were global in nature, a fact scientists had trouble determining due to the difficulty of precisely dating the jumble of debris - sand, gravel, clay, boulders - that ice age glaciers leave in their wakes. The new work suggests that ice ages were worldwide phenomena due, in part, to the sluggish redistribution of solar energy through the world's oceans punctuated by repeated, rapid cooling of the Earth's atmosphere.

The work is certain to help researchers of past climates unravel the mysteries of the ice ages that periodically grip the planet, but it also will help those trying to understand current and future climate change by helping to determine the natural causes of changes in the Earth's climate system at a global scale.
"The results are significant because they indicate that the whole Earth experiences major ice age cold periods at the same time, and thus, some climate forcing mechanism must homogenize the Earth's climate system during ice ages and, by inference, other periods," says Michael R. Kaplan, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Edinburgh who conducted the work in a postdoctoral position at UW-Madison.
The Wisconsin team, which was supported by the National Science Foundation and worked under the direction of UW-Madison geology professor Brad Singer, collected samples of quartz and other minerals from boulders found on the crests of the moraines that mark the waxing and waning of mountain glaciers in the Andes Mountains of Argentina.

Using a technique to read the changes imposed by cosmic rays - charged, high-energy particles that bombard the Earth from outer space - on atoms found in the mineral quartz, the UW-Madison researchers were able to precisely date a sequence of moraines, ridge-like glacial features composed of an amalgam of rocks, clay, sand and gravel. Their results show that glacial ice in South America reached its apex 22,000 years ago and had begun to disappear by 16,000 years ago.

"We've been able to get quite precise ages directly on these glacial deposits," says Singer, whose specialty is geochronology. "What we found was that the structure of the last South American ice age is indistinguishable from the last major glaciation in the Northern Hemisphere."
What's more, the group found evidence that the last major glacial period prior to the last ice age, from a time dating to 150,000 years ago, mirrored North American climate for the same period.
"During the last two times in Earth's history when glaciation occurred in North America, the Andes also had major glacial periods," says Kaplan.

The results address a major debate in the scientific community, according to Singer and Kaplan, because they seem to undermine a widely held idea that global redistribution of heat through the oceans is the primary mechanism that drove major climate shifts of the past.
The implications of the new work, say the authors of the study, support a different hypothesis: that rapid cooling of the Earth's atmosphere synchronized climate change around the globe during each of the last two glacial epochs.

"Because the Earth is oriented in space in such a way that the hemispheres are out of phase in terms of the amount of solar radiation they receive, it is surprising to find that the climate in the Southern Hemisphere cooled off repeatedly during a period when it received its largest dose of solar radiation," says Singer. "Moreover, this rapid synchronization of atmospheric temperature between the polar hemispheres appears to have occurred during both of the last major ice ages that gripped the Earth."

The technique used by the Wisconsin team, says Daniel C. Douglass, a co-author of the paper, uses cosmic rays to determine how long material at the surface of the Earth has been exposed to the atmosphere. When the high-energy cosmic ray particles, which bombard the Earth from sources beyond the solar system, strike oxygen atoms in quartz on the surface of the Earth, they break apart, creating new atoms of an isotope known as 10-beryllium. The number of 10-beryllium atoms in a rock sample allows scientists to precisely date when a particular rock was deposited on the surface of the Earth by a glacier or some other mechanism.

According to Singer and Douglass, the dating method is relatively new, and requires reducing kilograms of quartz-bearing rock to about a million atoms of 10-beryllium in the laboratory. Those atoms are then analyzed using an accelerator mass spectrometer to determine how long ago the quartz was exposed to cosmic rays, which can only penetrate the top meter or so of the Earth.
In addition to Kaplan, Singer and Douglass, co-authors of the GSA Bulletin article include Robert P. Ackert, Jr., and Mark D. Kurz, both of the department of marine chemistry and geochemistry at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Mass.

Quote from: Ynna on March 26, 2015, 04:38:13 PM

Perhaps Laura could ask the C's next time what will be happening in the southern hemnisphere during the time when the north is being covered by deep snow.

Quote from Graalsword:
I think its here:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35207.msg505802.html#msg505802

Quote from: Laura on July 09, 2014, 02:25:49 PM
Q: (L) Okay, so in the next 5 years, what is the percentage of probability of the supervolcano at Yellowstone going off?

A: 58%

Q: (L) 58, is that it?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) 58 percent. Well, that's more than half, but still kind of 50/50 in the next five years. (Chu) There was a question we talked about today about what would happen in the southern hemisphere... (L) Yes. So, if there was a global superstorm like in the movie we watched today [The Day After Tomorrow], what goes on in the southern hemisphere during such an event? The movie only showed storms in the Northern Hemisphere.

A: Less violent storms but storms nonetheless.

Q: (L) What about an ice age?

A: Ice ages grip the south somewhat, but the greatest damage is via drought, floods, and earthquakes.

I also found this article about former ice ages and the southern half of Earth

_http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/03/040319071426.htm/

An answer to the long-standing riddle of whether the Earth's ice ages occurred simultaneously in both the Southern and Northern hemispheres is emerging from the glacial deposits found in the high desert east of the Andes.

Using a new technique to gauge the effects of cosmic rays on minerals found in boulders carried by South American glaciers thousands of years ago, a group of scientists from the University of Wisconsin-Madison has demonstrated that the Earth's most recent ice ages were global events, likely driven by change in the atmosphere...

Graalsword, thank you very much - very interesting and important information about the southern hemisphere and what will be happening there during the coming Ice Age. Looking at the map below, exactly where the Andes mountains are, it seems Australia and Southern Africa will definitely need warmer clothing than "thongs and sandals", as MusicMan is rightly worrying about. People in the "deep south" will need to learn how to ski as well!

Attachments

• odt.org:Pictures:vansant.jpg
    odt.org:Pictures:vansant.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 130
To demonstrate that heavy snow/hail and icy conditions in the southern hemisphere are not only possible but are happening, here are images of the recent white downpour on the Equator in South America - and it is not winter in the southern regions of the planet yet!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BqKlUYQfns
Mini Ice Age 2015-2035 | Feet of Hail on the Equator in Colombia and Ecuador

Attachments

• Bogota 1.jpg
    Bogota 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Bogota 2.jpg
    Bogota 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Scary clouds. Bogota 3.jpg
    Scary clouds. Bogota 3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 123
  • South America Snowfalls red rings.jpg
    South America Snowfalls red rings.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 124
There is also the possibility of areas flash freezing by plasma discharge, as i am sure most have heard of the Mamoths found frozen with their lunch still in their mouths in Siberia?!

Here's a video on Youtube (just now found it myself) which has good explanations of the flash-freezing phenomena:Mini Ice Age 2015-2035 | Cold Plasma Event Freezes Elk Herd & Media Cover Up (47) https://youtu.be/5piEllAui3U / other videos on same channel seem interesting as well. I'm new to this channel but i couldn't find any slant or flashy agenda on the narration's part on this particular video.

The flash-freezing phenomena leaves no room for skiing, of course, but may be something to consider happening more in the near future?

Yes, bogota had a similar event back in 2007 i believe where the streets were covered in snow.
I had mentioned somewhere else, bogota was originally, as the stories tell, a great lake.
I was born there and although the climate ranges between the 60 F, it is a mountain, a city in a plateu that can be turned back into what it was. the tropics are suffer from floods all the time.

========

I don't think there is a "safe place on the planet" where the storm is not going to reach, you know, but there are places to avoid, Cities are an example.

Im thinking to think a way of looking at it is to examine the different "ways", the way of the polar bear, the way of the nomad, the way of the groundhog, the way of the ant, etc...
and although it may sound funny,
I'm laying out this idea because we may have to adopt some of their "personalities" to live in any potential conditions.

I picked up the smallest "rocket stove" from these guys: http://www.silverfire.us/products

I tried it out, and with zero preparation, (just gathering twigs and such from nearby bushes), was able to heat a can of soup to luke-warm.

With better preparation, I could see it being somewhat useful for small time cooking, but mostly I picked it up just to see how the technology worked. In any case, there's a fair bit of skill involved, and you need a sheltered area so that Winter winds don't rob all the heat in the saucepan.

I'm primarily interested in heating spaces, and am thinking of getting one of their bigger hunter's stoves, though I don't know what I'd really do with it at this point.

The place I currently live in is electrically heated, and I'm well adapted to the cold, but... It's a bit frustrating. I'd really like to have a place where I could pull the walls down and do some construction, put up solar panels and install fire heating projects, etc. The problem with a portable stove solution is that running it indoors is, without significant construction, just not safe. My house is quite old and made entirely of wood.

I just gave my landlord a stack of new checks for the next year; he's an excellent person and it's one of the most affordable rents available in this region, (I'm paying barely half what he could otherwise get for the place), so I'm loath to leave it, but I may decide to hunt around for something different where construction is viable.

Also.., I'm thinking of ordering some snowshoes in the next little while. In preparation for next Winter. I think we might be lucky enough to squeeze one more warm season out of my region, but I think next Winter could possibly be the beginning of the long haul.

How good am I at skiing?
Used to be pretty good. Still have my X-country skis and boots, but haven't taken them out for a couple of Winters. My sons have collected all sorts of X-country skiis, especially wooden ones I'm hanging on to re-purpose. Second hand shops and garage sales around here (WI/USA) always seem to have out dated ski equipment for dirt cheap.

I spent some early cold Winter days up-cycling some backpack strapping into a dog harness for pulling. Still working on training our dog to stay on course...he still gets easily distracted by squirrels and turns on a dime when we would be clipping along with the kick scooter. :scared:
No wipe out, but some close calls. Boy, I used some different muscles, though, the movement being much like diagonal striding on X-country skiis. Still hoping to ski-jour with dog some day, but not gonna hook myself up to him until I'm confident he has that squirrel reflex 99% under control.

While checking out kick-bikes to exercise our dog, I came across some snow/ice devices you could easily make, if you're handy, or buy for a reasonable sum. One is the kick sled which is still used in Scandinavian countries for getting around. Seems better for transportation on packed snow or ice, and one would probably need to have toe cleats.

This is one example with a seat for someone/something.
220px-Norwegian_kicksled.jpg

This one is more for racing
220px-Racing_on_Kickspark.jpg

And one being used with a dog. They really love it!
220px-Chiensapp3.jpg

The design is very similar to a small dog sled, and if you have a larger dog with lots of energy to expend, you might want to consider something like this that you can use for hauling, with or without the help of a four-legged companion.

Here are some do-it-yourself projects for getting around in the snow.

Kicksled attachment for downhill skis
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Homemade-Dog-Sled-Kick-Sled-Snowmobile-Sled/?utm_source=base&utm_medium=related-instructables&utm_campaign=related_test/

Quick dog sled (using a plastic lawn chair and x-country skis)
http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-Dog-Sled/

There a little rough, but you can get an idea of the components and adjust for what you may have available.
There are other instructables in the margins of the above pages.

Ynna said:

It can be asked, but there are several theories out there, here: _http://news.sciencemag.org/earth/2010/09/deep-freeze-didnt-affect-southern-hemisphere, but taking into the account what is happening with the sun, cosmic dust, for example, can take other direction. Either way, we are all experiencing a climate change in the whole word. Being freeze or not, it is changing our lives.

Back
Top Bottom