I just want to say my piece on the whole vax/anti vax

Arwenn said:
So basically if someone is very emotionally heavily invested in a certain belief, there is no amount of evidence to the contrary that will make them change their minds- to do so, causes them pain and punishment. And a defensive belief (one that they believe in, without questioning or researching things for themselves- religious fundies, pro-vaxers etc, believe it because they have been told to by Authority and because their social group, peers family etc believe it). It literally causes them pain to even have an open mind.

So, with this knowledge in mind, with rabid pro/anti anyone without an open mind, it's an opportunity to practice external consideration. Spare them the pain, spare yourself the frustration, as ultimately it's futile to do otherwise.

Yes, and thank you Arwenn, for posting Laura's article which does indeed explain why this happens.

It is important to keep this in mind when one is dealing with the rabid types - that they simply cannot compute the information - and it can be a huge waste of energy and frustration to engage in such arguments.

However, what we can do is share information when asked, drop some facts in here or there when the opportunity arises and make it generally available for those who are actually seeking and do have open minds, as Captain Murphy is doing with his post on FB.

After posting the article I recieved a decent number of likes from it and a couple people even shared it. :D
Not a single person left a negative comment which I found very surprising because honestly I was expecting the worst outa some people. I also imagine that most with opposing views probably didn't bother reading it. Just thought I would touch base here and let you all know how it went. I am happy that this was able to become a talking point here in order to help observe the human condition. I'm glad others were helped in this case. Stay cool everyone. :thup:

Captainmurphy said:
After posting the article I recieved a decent number of likes from it and a couple people even shared it. :D
Not a single person left a negative comment which I found very surprising because honestly I was expecting the worst outa some people. I also imagine that most with opposing views probably didn't bother reading it. Just thought I would touch base here and let you all know how it went. I am happy that this was able to become a talking point here in order to help observe the human condition. I'm glad others were helped in this case. Stay cool everyone. :thup:

Good on you, Captainmurphy. Your non-aggressive, humourous writing style may also help keeping the (often) easily provoked lot at bay.

Back
Top Bottom