Adventures in keto Scrapple - not perfected

3DStudent

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
If anyone is from the mideast US they might recall scrapple. I think it comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch, who call it panhaas. I used to love it as a kid, especially when mixed with scrambled eggs! So I tried to make it, and have something that works, but isn't perfect. The taste is pretty close, but the texture isn't as crunchy as I'd like. The thing about scrapple that I liked was that it was crispy on the outside and soft in the inside.

It turns out that aside from the wheat and corn flour, it's actually good for you. Here are the ingredients for reference:

[quote author=Scrapple ingredients]
Pork Stock, Pork Livers, Pork Fat, Pork Snouts, Corn Meal, Pork Hearts, Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices.
[/quote]

I didn't use stock or gelatin, snouts, or hearts. And I used beef liver because it has the least iron. For the flour I used coconut flour, because it has so much fiber that it is low in net carbs.

Here are the ingredients:

3 cups of water
1 lb ground pork
1 lb liver
1 1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sage
2/3 tsp pepper (note: it seems you can double the salt, sage, and pepper because mine was weak in flavor)

Special note: Guar gum and Eggs. When I was done it wasn't enough to stay together when fried so I used 1 tsp of guar gum mixed in per 141g serving. But even that didn't hold it together. In the end I added 1 egg to a serving along with the guar gum. There were 12.7 total servings in the finished weight of 1792g, so maybe a dozen eggs would work, possibly without the guar gum. You need to add something to make it bind, or it will just fry into little crumbly bits.

Instructions: Pour the water in a pot. Put the ground pork in. I rinsed the liver and blended it to a liquid before putting it in. Add the sage, salt, and pepper, leaving only the coconut flour remaining. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Then add the coconut flour and stir. Take it off the burner to cool a bit. Here is where you can put the eggs in so it won't fall apart when you fry it. And maybe the guar gum, but that seemed to just make it sticky.

When it's cool enough put it into some kind of bread loaf dish. I used a 5.25 x 9 x 2.75 inch pan which was 1.5 quarts, and I had a little left over that I just put into another bowl. You will be cutting it like bread into rectangles to fry. Put the dish in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. When it's cooled it will be like a liver pate which you can slice up and fry in a pan.

And that's about it. Like I mentioned, the biggest issue was it staying together, which I solved by adding an egg for each serving. This meant I had to shape it into a circular patty to fry it. And I had to smash it down a bit because even though intact, the inside wasn't really frying and was too mushy. So it's close in flavor, but the consistency is a little off and I had to make the patties really thin. I say I hate cooking, but this is worth it if you enjoyed this food in the past!

If my math is right, one 141g serving was 24g of protein, 18g of fat, and 5.5g of carbs. So you need to add about 35g more fat on top to get into the 50g+ range of fat, or just pour that amount of fat to fry it in and eat it with the scrapple.

Attached below is an excel sheet to play with, which has some of the math. Yours will be different, but it's a start. It doesn't include the eggs and guar gum, as I hadn't made the batch with them and added them after. But 1 tsp (3g) of guar gum is all fiber, so no carbs. And one large egg is 7g fat, .5-1g carbs, and 6g protein.

Enjoy! :) :flowers:

Edit: spelling/punctuation

Attachments

• keto scrapple.jpg
    keto scrapple.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77
  • scrapple nutrition facts.xls
    7.5 KB · Views: 2
Homely but sounds definitely tasty! Need more keto recipes, liver, yum!

Thanks for this recipe. Never had scrapple, but sounds promising. So I might play around with this.

I haven't made this recipe, only a variation for making liver pate sausage patties.

A few ideas you may like to consider: for corn meal you can substitute arrowroot powder - it is part of the binding process, as is the flour. NB, coconut flour soaks up liquid - which may help. Pork snouts when processed contain a lot of gelatin - for binding. Personally I've never found the need for flour or eggs to bind.

For binding the ground pork, you may like to 'de-stress' it by placing it in a bowl, repeatedly squeezing it through the fingers of one hand, and alternating with grabbing chunks of it and throwing it hard into the base of the bowl, - repeatedly - until you get to the stage where, when you grab a ball of the ground pork with your hand and lift it up and open you hand the ground pork doesn't fall back into the bowl.

Then add the spices and the liver, spread over the ground pork - I've only ever ground the liver small, yet free of being totally liquid - and fold it in by squeezing it through the fingers of your hand. Place the resulting 'mix' in a bread loaf dish. Cutting and frying it this way - for me - has always resulted in the 'mix' staying bound together and cooking through.

So, some thoughts to experiment with for attaining your ''perfect' scrapple''.

Learning is fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom