Lightning strike sets house on fire as London hit by thunderstorms

Chad

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
The weather has continued to be colder than usual in NW England, particularly the wind. Down south in London they had hail - though nothing compared to that abroad. People are starting to take notice of the quirky weather... :cool2: and, i'd say, lightning is rare enough in the UK that this strike is an odd weather event (edit: if it is lightning).

Lightning strike sets house on fire as London hit by thunderstorms and freak weather

Strike: Firefighters tackling the blaze in north west London (Pictures: Vicky Bull/Karen MacLean)

_http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/freak-lightning-strike-sets-house-on-fire-in-northwest-london-10261345.html

firepinner1905a.jpg

Sebastian Mann

Published: 19 May 2015

Updated: 18:11, 19 May 2015

Firefighters this afternoon tackled a blaze thought to have been caused by a lightning strike as the capital was hit by freak weather.

The London Fire Brigade said it had received several calls to Norman Crescent in Pinner, where the entire roof of a semi-detached house was ablaze.

A spokeswoman said callers blamed the fire on a bolt of lightning but that was not confirmed. She added 21 firefighters and officers were tackling the blaze after being called just after 1.30pm. It was under control by 3.15pm.

Vicky Bull (@chafferty) described hearing a clap of thunder before flames engulfed a building 10 doors from her home.

"I didn't see any lightning - just heard one massive thunder clap and a few mins later saw smoke rolling past my window," she said.

It came as other parts of London were hit by thunderstorms and hail.

Forecasters this morning warned the region faced the possibility of rain, hail and thunderstorms amid sunny spells and a maximum temperature of 16C.

The Met Office added that hail and stormy conditions were expected to abate by tomorrow.

Added:

Wimbledon Groundsman
‏@AELTCGroundsman

Good job the mowing and marking was done this morning before the typical mid-May hail storm #iceicebaby
CFXzDaaWEAEBtPd.jpg

CFXzDakWEAAYuTd.jpg

Very freaky! We had on and off showers/torrential rain, with Alot of wind, hail and sun haha :boat:

Thorn said:
Very freaky! We had on and off showers/torrential rain, with Alot of wind, hail and sun haha :boat:

YES!

And that's why, or so i explained to my new bus riding companion, the English talk about the weather so much! ;)

Back
Top Bottom