Thinking of getting a dog

Scottie, solarmind, Gandalf, you are all right about the benefits and love you get from a pet making companionship so very valuable, for both of you. The first ones I had were very hard to lose. Still hard to think of some without crying.

It helped me a lot to plan ahead for what was reasonable for the next dogs care and health, and accept the eventual without guilt, just with memories of happy times and lessons learned.

And a lot of "doggy disasters" are interesting, even funny, if you try to see the incident as you will look back on it in a few years. Life shared with a dog is full of fun, learning, love. Highly recommended.

Sorry my statement sounded a bit colder than i meant it.

Hindsight Man said:
I'm thinking of getting a rescue dog as I've wanted one for many years,but looking at the world,i'm worried.I have the means to care for it and was wondering if any of you guys have recently gotten pets/are about to get pets and how you deal with an uncertain future of said ownership?
I think the main thing to focus on is that if most of these rescued dogs are euthanized if they can not be adopted. In nearly every case, a dog adopted into a 'family' where it is loved and treated with care and respect, will thrive and really appreciate it's good fortune.

I have found that they give us even more in some respects than we give to them. Yes, there is quite a bit of work involved in caring for them and some restrictions as to how long you can be away from home before you need to find someone else to care for them. Most of us have probably found that the benefits we receive are more than worth it!

My take on it anyway...

If you do the research and put in 100% effort to caring and loving your dog (or any pet) then it is absolutely worth it IMO. Too many pets are neglected and mistreated and if you have the love to give to make one happy and safe then I say go for it.

Here's a diagram just going over some of the basic things to consider in getting a dog.

(from https://www.facebook.com/DogCharming/photos/a.196901943688958.47589.186727958039690/871643072881505/?type=1&theater)

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 42
I love dogs and seem to always forge such deep emotional bonds with my dogs/pets.

I think a lot of good advice has been given, but maybe my view can be considered extreme.

For my decision making process when it comes to getting any pet - I look at it as having a child. Can I afford to care for this child properly the rest of his/her life.

For me, my dog is my child. If I cannot have keep them for life then I will not get a dog/cat or any pet. I have had to give my dogs up at a big life change, of my own making, and I found them adoptive parents. Interviewed the prospects, visited their homes, made sure they had experience with the breed (wire fox terriers), and made what I think was the best decision for them. A good adopting family, keeps in touch, sends pics/email, etc.

Pet's are just like children, responsibilities for life, so make your decision carefully, and have a fun life with your new 4-legged family member.

Back
Top Bottom