Motorcycle riding

l_autre_d

Jedi Master
I have family members that ride motorcycles, and have generally thought it was too risky given how inattentive car drivers can be. A high school friend was killed on one, and a couple of others have suffered injuries from mishaps. However, thinking that gas might get very expensive or in short supply, decided that learning how to ride motorcycles might be useful.

So, recently I took a Motorcycle Safety class and discovered I really enjoyed it. Now I find myself shopping for a beginner bike. I've gotten some pointers on what protective gear to buy and roughly what to spend on it.

I'm sure we have riders in the group and would be interested in feedback on the pros and cons of going forward with the idea.

Thx.

It's something I've pondered also l_autre_d. In terms of finances, it is a hell of a lot cheaper for fuel, road tax, insurance and the price of the vehicle.

But the other side of the coin is that it's not the most practicle. Say for example you need to move afew large objects, a car is more suited. Or if a bunch of you want to go on a journey together, unless you all have bikes, a car is a simple way to travel with multiple people. So it will depend on personal situation.

There is also the winter that's coming. A bike is not the safest in winter, I'm sure that doesn't need to be explained really.

But given my pros an cons, I still see the idea of buying a beginner bike, maybe a 125cc as a good option. The price I pay for insurance and the car could probably cover getting a bike for 2 people!

l_autre_d said:
So, recently I took a Motorcycle Safety class and discovered I really enjoyed it. Now I find myself shopping for a beginner bike. I've gotten some pointers on what protective gear to buy and roughly what to spend on it.

I'm sure we have riders in the group and would be interested in feedback on the pros and cons of going forward with the idea.

Thx.

I rode a motorcycle for several summers many years ago, a Suzuki 650, medium sized bike, great in the city but a little light for long highway trips. I enjoyed it immensely, however there are a few things I learned early on that were vitally important.

First thing is to cultivate a hyper alert state of defensive driving. That means you not only have to be aware of your own vehicle, but also every other vehicle you encounter on the road. The fact is that most automobile drivers simply do not see you. A human on a bike is too small and tends not to register in the visual field of other vehicle drivers, who, operating on automatic pilot for the most part, and only 'see' other cars.

So, I got in the practice of putting myself into the minds of car drivers on the road with me, carefully watching their movements and always assumed that to them, I was virtually invisible. This is especially true when a vehicle in the opposite lane is waiting to turn left across oncoming traffic and will often cut right in front of you. Another good idea is to try and avoid driving in the mirror blind spots of cars in your lane. Cultivating a habit of anticipating unexpected maneuvers from other drivers might just save your life.

Road conditions are another consideration. Being that a motorcycle balances on only two wheels instead of four, the surface area contact with the road is greatly reduced, which means that the presence of gravel/loose stones or wet/rainy conditions can be very hazardous. Reducing speed in these conditions is wise.

And it goes without saying that wearing protective gear is a must. Not only a helmet with good visibility but also gloves, boots, a strong jacket and thick pants will help prevent and serious scrapes if you do happen t lay the bike down. There is a good reason why many motorcycles riders wear leather gear, in addition to looking really cool! :cool2:

Last piece of advice, wear goggles/sunglasses and keep your mouth closed while riding. Eating bugs at high speed is not a very pleasant experience!

Other than that, I say go for it. There's nothing quite like the experience of riding on a motorcycle, flying down an empty highway on a sunny day with the wind in your face and the panoramic views all around.

I only travel by motorcycle. Agree with everything written so far - assume you are INVISIBLE because sometimes you might as well be. Consider wearing high visibility clothing like road workers use over your actual gear because this might help too.

As far as practicality I can get about 70mpg on my NC750X, and my previous ride could get 80mpg!

Wow, I'm kinda blown away! :wow: Out of three replies, two of you ride/rode the same two bikes I've have. My last bike was a Suzuki SV650 and my current bike is a Honda NC700X. Both great machines imo! The 650 was a v-twin so it had much more power to it than the 700 but the 700 does go forever on gas so I've been using that one for my commute. It's also a more comfortable seating position for longer trips too.

As far as safety goes I think you've gotten some great advice so far. The only thing I did as well as normal practice was to work on panic stopping the bike. I guess I always wanted to be ready for the just in case scenario. For the most part I find most people aware of my existence here in the States when I'm riding but it only takes the one not paying attention to get you in trouble so assuming that none of them see you is definitely good advice.

Depending on your size/build I would think something in the 500 to 750 range would be good for starters. Maybe a cruiser or normal street style bike. Definitely not cafe style! Those racing bikes are way too sensitive in the throttle and even I get scared riding them and I've been riding for over 35yrs. Good luck with your choice and safe riding my friend!

Everything that has been said above is great advice. Some points to reiterate:

• Always where your gear even if it's is hot outside
  • Helmet (preferably full face with a visor)
  • Boots (Some that will prevent a broken ankle if you fall)
  • Gloves
  • Jeans or motorcycle pants
  • Leather Jacket
  • Pretend you are invisible to other drivers but that they can still hit you

I had a Yamaha r6 sportbike and rode that thing everywhere in college. It was a lot of fun and I still miss it but it just isn't that practical for me at the moment. But, like the others have said you do get much better gas mileage and driving becomes much more enjoyable :cool2:

You may have heard this in you motorcycle course but if you didn't I would warn against the following: Driving on the center painted lines in the middle of the road. They are slippery (especially if you have something with a lot of torque) and tend to accumulate loose gravel. Again they are slippery because of the paint AND the gravel. If you find yourself on them don't panic just don't make any sudden or jerky maneuvers. Just slowly exit that area of the road. Another one would be to avoid riding behind large trucks. Getting hit with bugs hurt but gravel is much worse lol. And lastly practice in an empty parking lot. A lot! You will want to get your muscle memory up and running so that there is less thinking and mental effort involved if you do find yourself in a hairy situation on the road.

Pete said:
The only thing I did as well as normal practice was to work on panic stopping the bike.
This is a great idea too. If you need to take a test for a license they will have you perform this and you will be graded on how long it takes you to stop as well as whether or not your back tire lifts off of the ground. In short it is best if you can stop in as little distance as possible all while shifting your weight, not sliding, and keeping your rear tire on the ground.

trendsetter37 said:
You may have heard this in you motorcycle course but if you didn't I would warn against the following: Driving on the center painted lines in the middle of the road. They are slippery (especially if you have something with a lot of torque) and tend to accumulate loose gravel. Again they are slippery because of the paint AND the gravel. If you find yourself on them don't panic just don't make any sudden or jerky maneuvers. Just slowly exit that area of the road. Another one would be to avoid riding behind large trucks. Getting hit with bugs hurt but gravel is much worse lol. And lastly practice in an empty parking lot. A lot! You will want to get your muscle memory up and running so that there is less thinking and mental effort involved if you do find yourself in a hairy situation on the road.

Also avoid the middle of a lane. It accumulates oil and grease that drip from cars (especially at intersections) and when it starts to rain it can be very slippery.

I also rode motorcycles a lot when I was younger in all kinds of weather. But now-a-days it is not very practical. It would be more for leisure if I still had one.

I can echo all the sentiments above.
I rode a motorbike to work for 20 years.
Always be aware of other motorists blind spots, make yourself visible in their mirrors.
Ride with your lights on, to make yourself more visible.

I sometimes had trouble with overtakers coming at me because they had not seen me.
I can echo the sentiment about bugs in the mouth.
They can hurt, and if they are bees or wasps you can get stung. I got one between my ears and my helmet once. Luckily it was only a blowfly. Scarey though.

Painted lines on roads, and tram tracks, also spoon drains which collect sand and gravel, stay off them, especially if you are turning.
Icy roads are a problem, don't ride on them if you don't have to.

When you are braking or accelerating, do it in a straight line, if possible.
Also be aware if the wheel you are braking is the front or the rear.
Braking on the front wheel is going to lose your steering ability, braking on the back wheel may lose your traction.

You have to lean into curves, but be aware there may be oncoming traffic - if you are leaning towards them, they might take you out. Make sure you have room before you lean.

I used to practice at slow speed on wet roads at night going around the suburbs where I lived, just to get used to using the lights and blinkers and brakes etc.

Safe driving!

Nicolas said:
trendsetter37 said:

Also avoid the middle of a lane. It accumulates oil and grease that drip from cars (especially at intersections) and when it starts to rain it can be very slippery.

I also rode motorcycles a lot when I was younger in all kinds of weather. But now-a-days it is not very practical. It would be more for leisure if I still had one.

Just adding: I've always enjoyed motorcycles and have ridden them, I'd say, for a good 45+ years. They can be super dangerous of course, requiring constant awareness, and yet they can be incredibly enjoyable and stable, while offering economy, and fantastic views of the environs.

The points above concerning the center line is important (and other points). I'm sure people have noticed also that some people like to ride in packs, and there are always a few who seem to like to hog the center line - as it happens, being struck by a mirror from an oncoming vehicle or making a critical misjudgement with no way out happens; so both are not good practices, with the former being that if one in the pack goes down, it usually results in more going down. The other thing is spring riding before gravels are swept up from the winter season that congregates on the road dew-line. This can catch many people unaware, and can also be attributed to accidents when one corners wrongly e.g. when one is caught going too wide on an outer corner and has to fight the physics to overcome the speed and the bikes lean - to lean is to actually push the handlebars against the direction of the lean, so one always needs plenty of road. One other thing I could mention, is the diminished light when riding at both dawn and dusk hours - try and avoid if possible, and if not, watch the ditch-lines for animals instead of just the road - a good practice regardless is to be always be moving your vision around, trying to take as much as possible of the environment in.

Typically, I ride mostly in the country and take it very easily in cities - giving myself lots of room, knowing that, as was said above by others, people just don't see you and they will take you out if not totally focused. In this respect, don't rely on lights, make eye contact with the other driver. Know your bike, each gear, switch, indicator so that it is automatic and you are not thinking about what it does while trying to focus on the road.

Riding is balance, so for those starting, a good way (if in the country) is to start with a trials bike - low gearing, low speed, with emphasis on balance - clutch and brake work. my 2 cents.

Just caught your post, too, MusicMan - exactly.

Great advice, guys. Thanks!

Timótheos, you could have been a riding instructor. Many of those points were brought up in the class, even riding off into the sunset.
One of the last things they said was to practice, find an empty parking lot and learn how to handle the bike.

Now just need to find a good, used, affordable ride.

l_autre_d - that is great you took the course! Last Summer I took a motorcycle safety class as well and found it to be a really great experience. Not only do I feel I could hop on a bike and take off if I needed to, but it also has made me that much more aware on the road as a driver of a car.

After I completed my course and received my endorsement I went out riding with a friend of mine who was more experienced. I rode his Suzuki Super Sherpa. I think it was a 250, but I really don't know. We road around for about 2 hours on multiple road types out in the country and ultimately stopped to fuel up at a small inn. I ended up dumping the bike right at the fuel pumps by taking too tight of a radial turn. In the process my leg was gouged by the foot pegs and I "rolled on" accidentally while trying to keep the bike from tipping. That could have spun that bike around and caused myself much more damage if it wasn't for my friend hitting the kill switch.

I tell this story because it's important to be aware of how quick something can go wrong with little experience. I really had a great time learning the ropes, and despite this scary first event riding out on the roads for the first time, I got back on the bike and road for another hour or more. It feels amazing.

I originally was interested because it's a useful skill, several of my friends have endorsements, AND, it is a good way to navigate the trail systems here where I live. I also must admit I watched the documentary Mondo Enduro about 7 fellas traveling on bike around the world, and that sounded pretty romantic as a possible future. :-) As of currently, I haven't driven a motorcycle since. I just don't have one, though hard to say how much I would use it if I did.
-------
One piece of advice I didn't see mentioned here, which is very important, is to repeatedly tap your breaks (flash your break lights) when you're slowing down or stopping. The instructors called it "presentation." How you present yourself (bright colors, lights, loud engine) - what helps you to be seen. This allows the drivers behind you more opportunity to recognize you're even there, and that you're slowing down. I use it now even while driving my car since it's safe to assume most people are not paying as much attention as they should be while behind the wheel.

My 2 cents. :-)

[edit for grammar]

Hello Katie Jo,
Your story about coming off the bike at the petrol station reminded me: I once saw a bikie take off quickly after filling up. He skidded on some spilled fuel and went over.
It's wise not to be too brash.
Where I live there are a lot of roundabouts.
It's not unusual for 4WD's to spill diesel as they go around these, and it makes the roundabout slippery.
So caution is called for.
And changing gears while cornering can get hairy as well.

I have also seen people at the petrol station forget to put down their kickstand before getting off the motorcycle.

Bikes aren't for me though I've been a passenger and rode them on farms in the past. I'm from the country side originally (the Dales) and I'd just like to add if you don't know the road well knock down your speed. So many people Have lost there lives in the area. It sounds obvious but on some sharp bends been a matter of 10mph too fast can be fatal.

Katie Jo said:
One piece of advice I didn't see mentioned here, which is very important, is to repeatedly tap your breaks (flash your break lights) when you're slowing down or stopping. The instructors called it "presentation." How you present yourself (bright colors, lights, loud engine) - what helps you to be seen. This allows the drivers behind you more opportunity to recognize you're even there, and that you're slowing down. I use it now even while driving my car since it's safe to assume most people are not paying as much attention as they should be while behind the wheel.

Good point Katie Jo! As a matter of fact there are replacement tail light bulbs that you can buy that automatically flash a few times when you hit the brakes and then stay lit solid after that. This way you can just use the brakes normally and the bulb does the flashing for you. Well worth it and usually easy enough to replace!

Back
Top Bottom