The Case for Eating more Carbs in the Evening

With all this talk of Oats being beneficial, and with it being Burns night, my mum brought home some of her works Haggis and since the only questionable ingredients were oats, i ate it, normally i would have been cautious. Considering it's sheep liver and lung, and it's super tasty, it's like a super food ;D This oat allowance also means i can go for the blood sausages (Black pudding/savoury ducks in NW England) more often too. I'm still barely hitting 30gs of carbs a day and have no desire to eat a bowel of oatmeal porridge.

The pattern definitely seems consistent with most: Little to NO carbohydrates in the morning and a good amount of fat with some protein in the morning sets the system on full drive for the day. Then having some vegetables with dinner can be okay or a post-dinner snack consisting of some carbs. In conjunction with the iodine protocol, Nora Gedgaudas always mentioned about consuming non-starchy 'above ground' vegetables containing good levels of antioxidants considering the toxicity that we deal with in the 21st century.

It should be noted that anyone including starchy carbs like olive oil/avocado oil-potato chips or sweet potatoes or rice along with their meat will probably be sending their digestion in a bit of overdrive since, if anyone knows anything about the 'monotrophic food process', mixing starch with protein doesn't work out too well and yeah you'll probably feel tired since your gut is working harder. It's usually the rule that "one food at each meal is the ideal", however certain digestive friendly combinations are possible like leafy greens with some beef or pork chop or veggies with some starch food (others are possible too). It might be a good idea to wait for your meat and non-starchy veggie combo to digest a bit and then take the little amount of starch food afterwards as a snack. I also cringe when I see people drinking a full glass of water along with a big meal since the gut needs all it's HCL acid production to work at its best to digest the food properly - just take a few sips.

Just a few words about oats, it may work out fine for some people if careful. Although oats do not naturally contain gluten, they are frequently contaminated with gluten because they are processed at mills that also handle wheat; avoid them unless they come with a guarantee that they are gluten-free. When non-gluten grains are processed for human consumption (e.g., milling whole oats and preparing rice for packaging), their physical structure changes, and this increases the risk of an inflammatory reaction. Uncontaminated sources should be sought out and introduced safely if even slightly gluten-sensitive.

Gandalf said:
Scottie said:
Beau said:
Even though I try not to eat too many carbs, when I do it's almost exclusively at night. I noticed that when I ate carbs with breakfast, I didn't do as well. But at night if it's a salad or whatever, I seem to do fine. I wasn't doing horribly when I was zero carb, which was for a while, but I know that since going back to eating some veggies with dinner I do feel better.

Just a "me too".

I pretty much figured out on my own that breakfast should be keto, lunch should be keto, and dinner can be carby. Or, dinner can be keto/paleo and post-dinner snack can be carby. If I do that, everything is fine.

The absolute worst is carbs for breakfast. That's a no-no for me. I don't feel awful or anything, but it's like it throws my system out of whack for the rest of the day.

...I still have all the Keto Perks, like more rapid healing, increased strength, etc.

I have strongly suspected for awhile now that pure keto is good for far fewer people than we think. I think the key is to get the ketone-burning systems up and running again, and then experiment and adjust the diet for optimal performance over the longer term. That will naturally involve different tweaks for different peeps.

As you said Scottie, just a "me too" for Beau post and your post.

Breakfast = very close to no carbs, just bacon, eggs, coconut oil, avocado and curcuma.
If lunch and most of the time there is none, it is mostly keto (bone broth, MCT oil or something similar)
And for dinner, mostly keto with some vegetables, butter and mayo.
And sometimes, a little little snack during the evening with some carbs. It does help me to sleep better.

For me it is a big NO to eat as much lipid in the evening as I eat in the morning.

...I have also gained a couple of pounds since I'm eating more carbs and I feel less depressed.

I'm trying to find my max of carbs while staying in keto. But so far, I can easily eat 50g of carbs and stay in keto.

Despite Kruse's chaotic delivery of the information and "know-it-all" attitude, I actually find it immensely fascinating to read this material. It would be ideal! It's just extremely difficult to imitate those conditions from over 10,000 years ago.

Laura said:
Prodigal Son said:
Interestingly, this week I was thinking of going in the opposite direction, cutting out, or reducing to a bare minimum carbs. In researching this, I went back to Dr Jack Kruse of cold adapting and Epi-Paleo ‘fame’.

<snip>

What emerges is the need for eating DHA naturally (as found in shellfish and fish); a need for iodine and water; sustained cold adapting; avoidance of EMF signals and blue light (computer screens, artificial light, etc.); exposing yourself to more sunlight (UV), especially in the morning; abiding by our circadian rhythms for eating (eating protein and fat within 30mins of arising, and any carbs after midday); and eating carbs only in summer.

While I realise that this may not directly relate to being a way to help detox stuff that iodine is releasing for some people, yet sustained cold adapting seems to hold a key and I think that in the long run it is the way to go, along with having more shellfish in the diet (at least for me). Putting it all together may explain why some people are having issues with going fully keto.

Yes, all of the above is relevant, I think, and certainly ideal. But so few people live in an environment where they can implement this solution. Thus, trying to find the best path for each person means that we consider various approaches.

I do think that the DHA is important, and we've definitely noted that the iodine is super important, and salt water, and so on. But we have to consider the extreme and unusual toxicity of our environment that was not part of the evolutionary scheme of things, and somehow, we have to find solutions that can be implemented in varying degrees of involvement for a lot of people.

I keep thinking back to the "Aquatic Ape Hypothesis" and how such an evolutionary background could be affecting many people now. Lot's to think about and learn, for sure!

I have read this entire thread and i will try to add some carbs at night, again. I say again because since the end of January and start of February a have some not pleasant experiences and pain. Last few years i have follow Keto diet with ocasionally some carbs, but last 2-3 months i desiced to go without any carbs. And i was going ok. I have no problems eating keto diet

But the i introduced iodine and after a strong reaction that i have from it , eating ketog diet is different. Last week and week before that i have a unpleasant pain in the area of my pancreas and after some networking here on this forum , it was suggested to decrease fats and add little more carbs i i have done that and in a few days i was ok. After few days i decided to go keto again and next 2-3 days were ok.
Today i felt the same pain and the same body shaking/ tremmor.

So i read this thread and i tried to read other things and find out what is going on with me.

First, maybe this condition is some kind of reactive hypoglycemia.

_http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/reactive-hypoglycemia.html

Your body perceives that your blood glucose is too low, and starts evasive tactics to get that sugar from somewhere. It pumps out adrenalin (epinephrine) to tell the liver to break down stored glycogen or amino acids into glucose FAST and dump it in the blood stream, while the nervous systems pumps out acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter which acts on the sweat glands, causing profuse sweating.

The adrenalin and acetylcholine cause symptoms that are associated with reactive hypoglycemia:

heart palpitations or fibrillation
dizziness
light-headedness
sweating
headaches
nervousness
irritability
shaking and tremors
flushing
craving for sweets
intense hunger
nausea, vomiting
panic attack
numbness/coldness in the extremities
fatigue and shakiness for hours afterwards

The bolded text are some of my symptoms and plus pain in the pancreatic area.

I also reduced my cold showers in last few months because i feel to "lazy" to do them and instead od that i was doing just a 2-3 minutes maybe a few times in month. Before that i was having cold showers for 5-6 days a week and min 10 minutes per shower. Reading Dr Kruse , it helps the proces of ketosis.

Also since new year i`m off the fish oil , and it means off DHA. BEfore that i was using it constantly for a few years. Also it was mentioned that DHA is important part of the whole process.

So maybe all this participated in this condition that i`m now. I`ll trey to have more cold showers, I`ll get a fish oil. Add little carbs and try to fix this issue. Also sometimes i feel very dehydrated, though I had drunk a lot of water .I think it was mentioned in some of the posts and quotes from Dr Kruse as a deficiency of DHA.

:read:

Your symptoms really do sound like bromide detoxing.

Laura said:

I really dont know. I`m off iodine for almost a month. Maybe iodine have mobilized something into my body and now its making problems.Few days ago i posted that all symptoms are gone and i was feeling ok, but from this morning all that is back.
I`ll continue with salt water and i`ll increase it to 2 or 3 times a day. I have ordered some ALA and Chlorella also.
I dont have an idea what this could be. I`ll try to add some carbs and see the reaction. First time symptoms disappeared when i have done that.

Konstantin said:
Laura said:

I really dont know. I`m off iodine for almost a month. Maybe iodine have mobilized something into my body and now its making problems.Few days ago i posted that all symptoms are gone and i was feeling ok, but from this morning all that is back.
I`ll continue with salt water and i`ll increase it to 2 or 3 times a day. I have ordered some ALA and Chlorella also.
I dont have an idea what this could be. I`ll try to add some carbs and see the reaction. First time symptoms disappeared when i have done that.

Re-read on the iodine thread what Joe went through for WEEKS. Pretty much the same thing with spells in between of relative calm. He did the heavy metals text and is focused on detoxing.

Laura said:
Konstantin said:
Laura said:

Re-read on the iodine thread what Joe went through for WEEKS. Pretty much the same thing with spells in between of relative calm. He did the heavy metals text and is focused on detoxing.

Yep, about 10 weeks and counting. It had/is having different stages for me, although at no point over the past 10 weeks have I felt like my "old self" or "back to normal". So I'm still in the process, and maybe I won't go "back to normal", which kind of makes it difficult to know when I'm fully recovered. Then again, with the iodine I think many people are going through some kind of transition where they are changing in different ways, physically and emotionally mainly, and it seems to be very specific to each individual, although with general 'psycho-physioloigical' effects that are are similar across the board.

Thanks Laura and Joe. You are probably right.
Yesterday evening i added just a little carbs . Pain in the pancreas area i better this morning. Body shaking and heart palpitations are intensified so I could not sleep well the whole night.
This morning i noticed a pain in the left upper side of the thyroid. Same as it was the first time. Same spot, same pain, same symptoms just a little less intense. Also behind that painful spot on the thyroid i can feel my throat very sore.
So its all connected, The pancreas pain, body shaking/ tremor and heart palpitations. Its all caused by one thing.
The next thing i`ll do is detox . And i ordered some chlorella and ALA and it will take 3 to 4 weeks until they arrive. I`ll start slowly with chlorella. A can add some coriander /cilantro also.
I hope that this condition wont get much worse.
I`m back to Iodine thread to re-read the posts about Joe experiences with iodine.

Oh, and if the moderators, administrators think that this post should be in the iodine thread , please accept my apology and move it there.
Thank you

Interesting post from Dr Kruze - re: LCHF, Carbs for certain people and the need for nicotine (but patches, he doesn't advocate smoking).

Can't say i understand it all, and i broke the paragraphs up pretty arbitrarily for ease of reading. I have to say i was aware of the Suns analgesic effect and i noticed as a kid in countries warmer than i was accustomed, i ate much, much less and mainly survived on liquids (with sugar though) with a light dinner after sunset.

Anyway, perhaps this 'loosely coupled' idea makes more sense to others. I thought i remembered him saying that Northern Europeans needed more fish and fats (eg. Sweden) because of their seasonal absence of much sunlight, where as, i thought, he said those closer to the equator naturally could eat more carbs. I think he's saying that N. Europeans who aren't already sick, can eat the above diet where as those who are sick may need more carbs? I'm not sure.

Anyway, it seems to be relevant - and maybe others can decipher the below with their understandings:

He linked to this in the post: Catecholamine Metabolism Induces Mitochondrial DNA Deletions and Leads to Severe Adrenal Degeneration During Aging

What have I learned so far in my 2015 biohack? Why are summer time high fat diets not a great thing to do chronically across all seasons? High fat diets force the use of mitochondria because they are oxidative powerhouses for fat. But what if you are designed to be loosely coupled by your mtDNA haplotype. If you have a Northern Europe haplotype you are loosely coupled. People who are loosely coupled are set up to have higher levels of mitochondrial heteroplasmy. As heteroplasmy increase disease phenotypes morph dramatically. But what if your mitochondria functionally suck = %heteroplasmy?

If that is the case you must first optimize the things a mitochondria uses to recycle via mitophagy. Heteroplasmy implies altered O2 levels called pseudohypoxia and UV light assimilation via our surfaces to maintain NAD+ levels at cytochrome 1 NADH couple. What does that mean if you have a high percentage of heteroplasmy in your mitochondria? = real bad mito-nuclear coaptation = poor redox. What does it mean for good coaptation? It means you burn fat well and you need very little food to sustain yourself because you assimilate photons and electrons from the sun and magnetic field by grounding so well. High carb foods only grow in high UV environments so electrons from carbohydrates should carry higher photonic power. So how does this translate to biochemistry? High carbohydrate diets provide more energy by fermentation because of these highly powered electrons, without causing humans actually needing to use their badly functioning mitochondria. Bacteria tend to like this situation. Where are bacteria in your body? Every surface where you assimilate light. How to do bacteria and your mitonuclear coapatation work together? Here is clue: those with mitochondrial diseases who have "adopted, used, and advocated" long term ketogenic diets have been known to collapse into coma because their damaged mitochondria can't provide enough energy needed for a conscious state. When you have a high percentage of heteroplasmy ketosis can actually hurt you. This is not well appreciated by the LCHF food guru's. Mitochondria actually cannot function physiologically to generate energy for us neurologically without help from fermentation when heteroplasmy is elevated.

Environmentally broken paleo advocates use and advocate carbs for that reason. Environmentally broken LCHF folks just get sicker as time evolves because they cannot replace mitochondria and/or DHA fast enough to offset their environment toxicity and they allow their mitochondria to face. Could we hack heteroplasmy? Yep. Some might begin to advocate temporary nicotine use when they are completely stalled and spinning their wheels. Why might nicotine work in this hack? What other cofactors would make nicotine work even better? Methylene blue could be a huge boost. Methylene blue is a MAO inhibitor and you learned about them in Time 6 and 7. MG can affect all the levels of endogenous biogenic amines. So if you are taking drugs that interact with this axis you need to be careful. MB can therefore can interact with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and MAO inhibitors to cause serious serotonin toxicity or serotonin syndrome. What about nicotine? Nicotine works best with good O2 consumption by mitochondria and strong natural full spectrum sunlight.

Most nicotine users smoke so they never see the optimized effect of nicotine because of co-morbid lung disease from smoking. We can use a nicotrol inhaler to offset that risk. Most people who are sick rarely go out in the sun because their doctors or their beliefs keep them ignorant of basic physics. Going out in the sun makes us feel well because it causes release of beta endorphin from our skin. Runners get a high from this but the high is always greater in natural light. So how might nicotine work when O2 and UV light are optimized in your bio-hack? Nicotine slightly increases glucose levels to give a small superoxide pulse. This pulse make the perfect amount of singlet state ROS/superoxide to be the stimulus to lower the % of heteroplasmy in our cells. This small stimulus does two key things: 1. the small stimulus stimulates regeneration programs in us. 2. It stimulates mitophagy to recycle heteroplasmic poor functioning mitochondria to make new mitochondria and dig yourself out of the hole called mitochondria senescence. You cannot get the superoxide pulse without the O2 or the UV exposure.

Did you know that DHA in your RBC's in skin arterioles 7-10 AM allows you to absorb even more UV light? This is possible because UVA light stimulates nitric oxide that vasodilators the skin arterioles to come closer to the surface so that UV light can be absorbed by porphyrins and hemoglobin in RBC's. UVB light penetrates only 0.1 mm. UVA penetrates 1-3 mm so to get UV light RBC's have to move toward the surface and they do because of the light nitric oxide couple. This is also why light makes plants move toward light too. If you're anemic, hypoxic, or diabetic, your fighting an uphill battle because your % of heteroplasmy is getting larger than it was when you were younger. Diseases can manifest just from the slow increase of heteroplasmy in mitochondria. But we can reverse the process if we get the natural details correct of how light works with chemicals in our body. Few people have that discipline in their bio-hacks. Some do. That is why we share what we have learned. All people as they age, they acquire this same kind of mito-nuclear coaptation dysfunction because as redox lowers, mitochondria uncouple and get more leaky and heteroplasmy increases. The major difference in aging compared to disease generation is that an aging person has a slower timescale of the development of heteroplasmy compared to those who develop illnesses at a younger age. The % of heteroplasmy is slower in natural aging, but faster in neolithic diseases in today's modern humans 20-40 years old. Their environment is driving the increased % heteroplasmy = many diseases. MB and nicotine can be used to combat this process.

So his response to an FB friend may help clear things up...

Dr. Jack Kruse Wyatt ketosis is a seasonal approach.......autumn winter is fine.......but you need the carb superoxide pulse to recycle and get rid of bad mitochondria in summer. When you do it......you must get full spectrum light via eye and skin while being barefoot and connected to earth drinking good water. That is it.

Kruse is still an enigma to me. His ideas sound interesting, but some things he doesn't seem to look into- like the smoking being harmful.

The nicotine connection with oxygen and red blood cells has been known. I wonder why isn't he talking about the effects on the brain? Sure, the energy system matters a lot, but so do other processes.

Although I don't subscribe to ketosis as even Paleo caused me issues without carbs, how can he group everyone into the same requirements? I think some body types do well on it and the rest of us do well with moderation and balance. The key thing is to avoid the wheat/grains/corn and dairy, which in another article are explained as the original GMOs, even before biotech firms butchered DNA.

On sott, someone commented on the naked ape hypothesis article that says it was for UV. There was back and forth about other factors that were ignored and wrong assumptions of everyone originating from Africa (which in genetic testing I heard has not been proven!) It also doesn't make sense that melanin acts like chlorphyll. If that is the case, darker skin should be up north where there is less light, in order to soak up more uv, and the lighter skin in sunny areas where harvesting this is less difficult. I'm confused.

There was one comment that pointed out the aquatic ape hypothesis, which in the iodine thread might explain why our systems need more iodine (which is more by coastlines, in the oceans too):
By: Angel
The reason for humans to have less hair is because they came out of the water
Ever seen a hairy sea animal?

Divide By Zero said:
Kruse is still an enigma to me. His ideas sound interesting, but some things he doesn't seem to look into- like the smoking being harmful.

The nicotine connection with oxygen and red blood cells has been known. I wonder why isn't he talking about the effects on the brain? Sure, the energy system matters a lot, but so do other processes.

Although I don't subscribe to ketosis as even Paleo caused me issues without carbs, how can he group everyone into the same requirements? I think some body types do well on it and the rest of us do well with moderation and balance. The key thing is to avoid the wheat/grains/corn and dairy, which in another article are explained as the original GMOs, even before biotech firms butchered DNA.

On sott, someone commented on the naked ape hypothesis article that says it was for UV. There was back and forth about other factors that were ignored and wrong assumptions of everyone originating from Africa (which in genetic testing I heard has not been proven!) It also doesn't make sense that melanin acts like chlorphyll. If that is the case, darker skin should be up north where there is less light, in order to soak up more uv, and the lighter skin in sunny areas where harvesting this is less difficult. I'm confused.

There was one comment that pointed out the aquatic ape hypothesis, which in the iodine thread might explain why our systems need more iodine (which is more by coastlines, in the oceans too):
By: Angel
The reason for humans to have less hair is because they came out of the water
Ever seen a hairy sea animal?

Fur seals

Fur seals have visible ears on the outside of their heads, unlike earless seals. Like sea lions and walruses, fur seals use their front flippers to sit up straight and can turn forward their back flippers. This means that they can walk, and even run in a clumsy way, on dry land. Fur seals have dense fur and a thick layer of blubber, or fat, under the skin. Together, the fur and blubber keep the fur seal dry and warm, even when underwater. The males are up to three times heavier than the females. Male fur seals arrive first at the breeding ground, which is usually on a rocky island, and fight for space to control. When the females arrive, about five females join each male.

I saw those comments too, and the above snippet was prompted by a reply i saw.

As for darker skins, i understood, from what Kruze says, that the melanin helps protect and then utilise the rays more effectively, and at more northern altitudes the melanin would be blocking out too much, hence the thinness of the skin (so it looks) and paleness of people from the north. I've heard/seen that black skin can get very dry and ashen looking because of this - improving with sun exposure - i wonder, there may even be accompanying diseases due to the disregulation; i say that with a C's comment in mind, something about our physical make up relating to where we kinda evolved/were dropped, thus being optimal for those areas.

It reminds me of a documentary i watched which related the shape of nostrils to the climate; the thinner the nostrils, the colder the climate, the wider, the warmer. It was on something like the BBC but idk if it's accurate, sounds about right.

To be fair, i probably understand Kruze the least and gather most of the tidbits from his interviews. For clarity, his reply was to a 'northern European', so it was NE who were recommended Ketosis in Winter and so on. Closer to the equator and you can up your carbs from what he's said before. Which is interesting because even if that's the case, more indigenous tribes near the equator ate more meat and fat than anything else, if i'm not mistaken? So not necessarily adhering to his expectations.

He definitely dislikes smoking though, i've seen a few comments about the benefits of nicotine for stress and cognition but always gum or patches.

Anyway, i was really just sharing it for Kruze's perspective on carbs - because he bangs on about how he knows carbs are ok sometimes and the keto-crowd (my word) don't, bla bla bla. Also there's the possibility more informed peeps have an idea where he's going with it. Personally, i find Ketosis optimal for myself at the moment, but i wonder, as a NE (i think), how i'd feel in sunnier climbs, with the opportunity to go for daily paddles in the sea :)

Konstantin said:
Yesterday evening i added just a little carbs . Pain in the pancreas area i better this morning. Body shaking and heart palpitations are intensified so I could not sleep well the whole night.
This morning i noticed a pain in the left upper side of the thyroid. Same as it was the first time. Same spot, same pain, same symptoms just a little less intense. Also behind that painful spot on the thyroid i can feel my throat very sore.

Hello Konstantin,
Since I've start Iodine protocole I went through some transition effects too : In christmas night, I was awake all night feeling some "awakening" of the heart that resonate with the experiment of Ouspensky (ITSOTM) when he communicates through the heart with Gurdjieff... And after this until now my left side thyroid have blocked, but with body awareness (see Peter Levine) I've manage to debunk it sometimes : it feels like a golden warm liquid going up the throat ^^. Another symptom of these last weeks at night, my all body and especially my legs were tingling in a blocking and parasiting way, but again, I'm managing it with Semantic Experiencing. Extrasystole and tremor in my body is common for me and up until now I didn't succeed in fully treating it with diet and detox, but it's not over and it leads me toward more self-awareness.

On Kruse, in his book "Epi-Paleo Rx" I quote :

THE LEPTIN RX POSTSCRIPT
1. Plan on eating a straightforward primal/Paleo template as outlined in the those books mentioned in Chapter Three. If you are very active you can add carbohydrates from 10-30 percent of your diet. The diet is still a high-fat, moderate-protein Paleo template outlined in the Paleo books.
2. Within one hour of rising, eat 50 percent of your daily carbs with 25 grams of protein and 20-30 grams of fat.
3. Never miss breakfast because it stimulates the circadian rhythm for gastric acid secretion in adults. This will become critical later in the day for body composition optimization.
4. Avoid working out prior to breakfast. It is a circadian cycle breaker because it raises cortisol at a time it is already high.
[...]
8. Dinner should be eaten within 45 minutes to 1 hour of this late afternoon work out. If you are leptin sensitive you can eat dinner this early and go comfortably without eating until breakfast the next day. During dinner you want to make sure to include a lot of protein (25-75 grams), the remainder of your carb allotment, and the balance in fats. The type of fats at dinner are also critical but are typical in a primal template. Try to concentrate on 10-18 carbon fatty acids because these are best at stimulating cholecystokinin (CCK), which destroys the nighttime appetite. I use coconut oil, ghee, pastured butter, and bacon lard to get this effect. I use the fat to cover the carbs and the protein most times in sauces.
[...]
KEY POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND ABOUT POST LEPTIN RX CHANGES:
1. High protein consumption occurs at night now, not at breakfast as it did in the Leptin Rx reset. The reason is because late afternoon is when the human body is normally programmed to undergo upregulation of protein synthesis biochemically. This is how our biology is designed by God or evolution. If you remember, earlier I told you to eat half your carbs and a small protein load (about 25 grams) to prime the gastric acid circadian cycle for maximal effect later in the day. This is precisely the reason why. Gastric pH should be highest when we are eating our biggest protein load of the day, while simultaneously upregulating protein synthesis in our body. This maneuver actually influences our body composition more than any exercise could, if it were added to the equation at all. Doing this on time is akin to an orchestra playing in unison. It is a huge point to try to follow daily.
2. Carbohydrate consumption should parallel activity and light cycles. I often hear many in the primal world talk about carbs and activity. They always forget about the light cycle. If you are very active and work out more than four days a week in sunlight, you can handle 30 percent of your calories from carbs. If not, consider a 10-20 percent range. The closer I get to June 21st, the more carbs I eat, and as I move closer to Dec 21st, I am at a zero-carb diet. I give this to you as a baseline to work from. It is not meant for you to copy exactly as I do.

Kruse also talks about mTor pathway and conclude that we cannot conclude anything yet, but the book was written in 2013, maybe it changed...

So, Kruse : eat carbs in morning and a king protein dinner.

Mmmh I'm gonna test it out because it's not clear...

Have tried 4-5 tsp of oat mill for dinner for few separate days, however it didn't turn well for me. Soon after consuming felt heaviness in abdomen, low quality sleep and digestion problems day after. Have used highest gluten free quality form Red Mill, but I think I'm gonna left oats for horses. :P

Interesting exerpt from one of Kruse's blogs that explain why it is probably a bad idea to eat carbs late in the evening and the resulting hormonal effects:

3. After the 4 hours of darkness, melatonin secretion increases and this allows plasma leptin to enter the hypothalamus if we are sensitive to its receptor. If we are resistant, this process can no longer occur. Once leptin enters and binds to its receptors, it affects the lateral hypothalamic tracts to immediately send a second messenger signal to the thyroid to signal it to up-regulate thyroid function and efficiency. This specifically is how we can raise our basal metabolic rate when we are leptin sensitive. The leptin receptor is an electron accountant. These coupled events, matched with leptin’s actions peripherally in muscles, occur at the UCP3 sites to burn fat as we sleep at a higher basal metabolic rate. Energy added to the system changes how the biochemistry actually works by compliant design mechanisms. This is a macroscopic quantum effect in sleep. This means electron chain transport does not make ATP as usual, but electrons are still reducing oxygen. ATP is not made because the ATPase loses its ability to rotate within the inner mitochondrial membrane.

When uncoupling occurs, we make heat and not energy from normal metabolism. This heat a part of light in the infrared part of the spectrum. This means we will burn off our excess calories as pure heat. In other words, we lose light and it affects water adjacent to the mitochondrial surface. This is one reason why calories in and calories out argument makes no biologic sense once you understand how leptin works. Humans are built to burn fat at night as we sleep to lose excess weight we don’t need. The timing of the leptin action is also critical. It usually occurs between 12-2 AM and is tied to when you last ate and how much darkness your eyes have seen. This generally occurs soon after our hypothalamus releases another hormone called prolactin from our pituitary gland in the brain. The prolactin surge does not happen if the patient has sleep apnea or ate some carbs to close to bedtime. If you eat any carbs and protein within 4 hours of sleep you will never see the prolactin surge because any spike in insulin turns off this critical release. Ok, you must be asking why is this prolactin hormone so important? Is not prolactin just a hormone to secrete human milk, doc? That is not the only action of prolactin. Immediately after prolactin is released at this time, another signal is sent to the anterior pituitary to release Growth Hormone (GH). GH is stimulated only during autophagic sleep cycles in stage 3 and 4 to increase protein synthesis for muscle growth all while you’re dissipating heat. This is the major release of GH in humans post puberty. The implications here are huge. If you are LR and have sleep apnea you will have an altered body composition because of a low GH level. This occurs because you are losing electrons from your tissues during sleep and they swell. This impedes your ability to breathe well to get oxygen to your mitochondria. It means as you age you have higher body fat and lower muscle mass. This is precisely what we see in humans as they age and invariably their sleep is also poor.

The reduced temperature induced by melatonin in sleep is needed for Central Nervous System autophagic repair for another less well known reason. The lowered temperature sets the stage for the biologic quantum effects to be optimal on neuron microtubules that facilitate learning and neuronal spouting that occur brain wide. This is why if you don’t sleep well you feel badly and your performance suffers the next few days on tasks. Research also shows your learning is severely impaired. This is tied to breakdown of cell membrane electron transfer to microtubules. The mechanism involves alteration of small proteins connected to the cell membrane of neurons. This is why we monitor truck drivers and airline pilots sleep and wake cycles by law! Moreover, in hospitalized patients or the elderly when this occurs, it sets the stage for the appearance of acute onset delirium. We see this often in hospitalized patients who can not sleep well in ICU’s. Acute delirium states very much look the same as chronic sleep deprivation patients we see clinically as well.

Back
Top Bottom