TED video on "The Secret to Self Control"

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTb3d5cjSFI

I thought a lot of this resonated with the kinds of approaches we advocate here - self-awareness/observation, self-compassion, mindfulness, allowing oneself to experience negative emotions, states, etc.

solarmind said:
this is excellent! thank you!

I thought it was good too. :) Thanks for sharing T.C.

I sent it to my brother who has a huge problem with sweets and junk food. I asked him to think about it in those terms instead of a cigarette.

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing! My summary:

• "I'm noticing that I'm having a thought that I'm stressed and want to do XYZ." This puts distance between you and your thoughts.
  • Have compassion for yourself. Imagine you had a friend with the same issue and what advice would you give to them. Give that to yourself.
  • In the tug of war with the craving monster, try just accepting the feeling and let it go. The temptation may be less than you initially think it is.

Thanks for that TC, it looks like he's explained acceptance of 'negative' feelings and non-identification with them. I also liked the guy's sense of humor, although it's too bad that his main example is about quitting tobaco. ;) :cool2:

Great video! I've recently been using a similar technique to distance myself from my thoughts and feelings, so that I can experience them but not necessarily act on them. I've been saying to myself, 'I'm experiencing sensory information input that has the sensation of... and is telling me...' But I really like his phrasing and will try it out in combination with what I've been using as a way to both honor my feelings and not let myself be controlled by them. I also liked his suggestion of writing out words of compassion to a friend that one can then offer to themselves. Thanks for sharing TC!

Windmill knight said:
I also liked the guy's sense of humor, although it's too bad that his main example is about quitting tobaco. ;) :cool2:

Me too.

I liked this and it should help me with some of the intense cravings I've had while going through the iodine protocol. Thanks TC.

Back
Top Bottom