Trauma from your Mama: The DNA -- Stress connection

Gaby

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Did you inherit trauma through the DNA inherited from your parents and grandparents? Did their view of the world influence your life before you were even born? Unresolved childhood trauma has been implicated in cancer, heart disease and other health problems. Are we victims of our genes or does the environment count in more ways than we realize?

Today on the Health and Wellness show we will be discussing the topic of Intergenerational Trauma, genes, epigenetics and stress. Join us!

https://radio.sott.net/

I hope I can hear it this week, I want it to express my gratitude to you, for these series of great shows ... I had been listening also the health ones, I did not want to hear them in the past, and had been enjoying them as well, being dynamic, interesting topics, and light environment ... I was surprised! Thank you!!

Will you, the H&W team, do a repeat show of this topic, since you had technological issues last week. It is such an important topic IMO.
Thank you for all the work. I love that international feel to the show and you make a great team. :)

Mariama said:
Will you, the H&W team, do a repeat show of this topic, since you had technological issues last week. It is such an important topic IMO.
Agreed. I was able to listen to the show and found it very appropriate as this topic is something that came up almost immediately for me during therapy earlier this year.

Recently, maybe two weeks ago, both of my brothers were in town while they were on break from school so we decided to hang out and catch up. We usually do this without our parents so that we can speak candidly about current events in our personal life.

Something interesting happened this time around because our conversion led to discussion on empathy and the possibility of how trauma can sometimes stunt one's ability to relate to others on a personal level.

As it turns out we were all separately (unbeknownst to each other) seeing therapists this year around the same time for the very same reason. Our mother. It was discovered that even though our coping mechanisms were all different in their manifestations, they all had a similar flavor with the root cause pointing to traumatic events we experienced in our childhood. Our small get-together was definitely uplifting for us as it kind of served as confirmation that maybe some of the things we experienced were not ok, normal, or healthy. Furthermore, it was reassuring to know that we weren't alone in or struggles growing up.

Suffice it to say, I would definitely be interested in a part 2 if you guys can swing it :rockon:

Mariama said:
Thank you for all the work. I love that international feel to the show and you make a great team. :)

The show was edited out to remove the technical issues and apparently most of the discussion did it into the final version. But we could also re-visit this topic with more information :)

I haven't listened yet but will whe I have time later..

I'm sure I'll find it very interesting as I have many of my mums problems.

And I'm certain we have things programmed into our DNA from our parents without reading or knowing a thing about it. I remember my mum and dads nights out partying before I was conceived of. No one believes me of course but I do...

Gaby said:
Mariama said:

The show was edited out to remove the technical issues and apparently most of the discussion did it into the final version. But we could also re-visit this topic with more information :)

Ah! it was a nice and interesting show, I would like to hear more too, it seemed too short, thank you for your work.

Can it be possible to have the transcript of this program? I am a person (I don't know if I am the only one) that understands more a subject when I read it. But if it is not possible I will listen the program. Thanks for the good work you are doing.

Thanks for the show, a fascinating topic. Was cool to hear about how Olga Kharitidi's book 'Entering the Circle' relates to the topic as I just yesterday started to read the book again (plan this time to finish it).

Made me also think about finally returning to and reading the copy I have of what my grandmother wrote about life after marriage and before marriage. The copy I have is mostly after marriage. She also had an interest in genealogy, so the info that we do have about the two sides of the family is mostly due to her research I believe.

trendsetter37 said:
Suffice it to say, I would definitely be interested in a part 2 if you guys can swing it :rockon:

Here too!

Thanks for part 2, H&W Team!
I really enjoyed listening in whilst chugging away on my sewing machine :)

My Grandfather fought in WWII and on returning, refused to talk about what happened in any detail.
My Mum tried to get him to open up, but she said that it was quite simply a "no go" topic.
I have wondered what could have happened and perhaps will never know, but what I do know is that he spent his time after the war had ended, teaching my Mum as best he could by example rather than empty words :)

Thank you very much!, quite intersting pair of shows!!! I was able to listened them in a row, interesting to know how the issues involved converge, I had been thinking that comprehending is basic, one do not stress longer and are able to understand better the dramas, that one way or another keep popping ...

I am for looking more about the family, grand parents, grand grand parents and circumstances around ... I know that a grandfather was adopted, and parents/family do not know much beyond that, but the "effects/scars" that leaved in his kids (nowadays aunts/uncle) are palpable one way or another ... had not sit and think about the possible effects directly to me, though; but those are kind of thoughts to contemplate ...

That from mother's side, father's side should be similar ...

Grandma's Experiences Leave a Mark on Your Genes

It's an old article from discover magazine 2013 but i though it might be relevant to the epigentics/Transgenerational Trauma idea

source _http://discovermagazine.com/2013/may/13-grandmas-experiences-leave-epigenetic-mark-on-your-genes

a snippet from the end of the article:

According to the new insights of behavioral epigenetics, traumatic experiences in our past, or in our recent ancestors’ past, leave molecular scars adhering to our DNA. Jews whose great-grandparents were chased from their Russian shtetls; Chinese whose grandparents lived through the ravages of the Cultural Revolution; young immigrants from Africa whose parents survived massacres; adults of every ethnicity who grew up with alcoholic or abusive parents — all carry with them more than just memories.

Like silt deposited on the cogs of a finely tuned machine after the seawater of a tsunami recedes, our experiences, and those of our forebears, are never gone, even if they have been forgotten. They become a part of us, a molecular residue holding fast to our genetic scaffolding. The DNA remains the same, but psychological and behavioral tendencies are inherited. You might have inherited not just your grandmother’s knobby knees, but also her predisposition toward depression caused by the neglect she suffered as a newborn.

Back
Top Bottom