Unusual insect behavior in Chelyabinsk

Keit

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
The following video was taken while driving between Chelyabinsk and Ekaterinburg. Apparently these are swarms of insects, and it is some kind of mating behavior. Maybe called "hilltopping"? Or maybe something else, just couldn't find anything specific. Anyways, those who took the video say that they never saw something like this before in this area. Maybe another sign of the times.

https://youtu.be/Nf-scU3lBJs

It looks similar to the nuptial flight of flying ants. However this is an annual phenomenon therefore locals should have seen it before.

Here is a link to a video showing such a swarm

Pierre said:
It looks similar to the nuptial flight of flying ants. However this is an annual phenomenon therefore locals should have seen it before.

Yeah, that's what unusual, that they didn't see something like this before.

Btw, article posted on the local site also mentioned that "some experts of paranormal phenomena claim that such swarms of insects tend to form in areas of geomagnetic anomalies", but of course the scientific explanation of this being a mating behavior is more acceptable.

But, hey, who knows, maybe these two factors go together! That insects like to mate in areas of geomagnetic anomalies. And as the C's said, Chelyabinsk fits that particular bill.

"Chelyabinsk fits that particular bill."

Is this an effect of the impact event or was the incoming object attracted to the site because of the magnetic anomaly?

Yupo said:
Is this an effect of the impact event or was the incoming object attracted to the site because of the magnetic anomaly?

Well, that's what the C's said:

Session 8 August 2015 said:
Q: (PoB) Is there anything special about the area around Chelyabinsk, because there are many weird things happening there?

A: Magnetic.

Q: (L) Magnetic. It's an attractor.

So I guess the area attracted the meteorite...

Hard to see due to the low resolution of the original video, but it did look like small vortices... like the magnetic ribbons of plasma on the sun or a very thin twister.

yeah it is a murmuration, although murmuration is for birds

Not that it had anything to do :P but here is a list of the animal gathering names:

_http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/99-strange-collective-animal-names

If those are flies it is a "business" of flies.

Very interesting! Well, if it is anything as starling murmurations, than this is what I found

Starling flocks, it turns out, are best described with equations of “critical transitions” — systems that are poised to tip, to be almost instantly and completely transformed, like metals becoming magnetized or liquid turning to gas. Each starling in a flock is connected to every other. When a flock turns in unison, it’s a phase transition.

At the individual level, the rules guiding this are relatively simple. When a neighbor moves, so do you. Depending on the flock’s size and speed and its members’ flight physiologies, the large-scale pattern changes. What’s complicated, or at least unknown, is how criticality is created and maintained.

It’s easy for a starling to turn when its neighbor turns — but what physiological mechanisms allow it to happen almost simultaneously in two birds separated by hundreds of feet and hundreds of other birds? That remains to be discovered, and the implications extend beyond birds. Starlings may simply be the most visible and beautiful example of a biological criticality that also seems to operate in proteins and neurons, hinting at universal principles yet to be understood.

And this:

Rupert Sheldrake, one of the world’s most innovative biologists and writers, is best known for his theory of morphic fields and morphic resonance, which leads to a vision of a living, developing universe with its own inherent memory. Flocks of birds, flying in such amazing formations as this, are an example of what he calls Morphic Resonance in Morphogenetic Fields.

Sheldrake: " For example, a flock of birds can all turn together at practically the same time. I think this is because there is a field of the whole flock; they're all within a larger system, part of a larger whole. The morphic field of the flock is what links and coordinates them. They're turning far too fast to do it just by watching their neighbors or by responding to ordinary sensory information.

"I think their movements are coordinated in the same way as the movements of iron filings around a magnet. When you move the whole magnet, the whole pattern of the filings changes because they're all responding to the field of which they are a part. This is as true for birds in a flock as it is for human members of social groups."

A magnetic compass …

My mother has a magnetic compass. Why you ask? She has been determined to notice the magnetic polar shift.

The device is incredible at detecting magnetic fields. One time I was looking at it, well you know to see if north had moved, and it was not pointing anywhere north. In fact, it seemed to be pointing toward the laptop that we were looking at, at that moment. I moved it around the laptop and found a magnetic field of impressive size hovering around the laptop. I could detect it more than 3 feet away. I moved farther away and it returned to its correct pointing toward north.

I thought that this is interesting and our ensuing conversation ran into that direction. This is what I get from a meager laptop (4 years old), I wonder what I would get from a high end computer in comparison to other computer devices. What about all of those cellular phones that are out there. If each of them is in comparison to the laptop that I did observe. And in quantities like there are in populated areas this could quite well create a magnetic bubble. When we had CRT monitors on our computers I always kept the computer well away from them so they would not distort the display. So this is like a DUH! moment for myself.

I have always played with magnets and the field that they produce. I done the playing with metal filings and a magnet, made a primitive gauss gun that punched thru cardboard, learned in boy scouts how to read a magnetic compass. But I never just monitored the magnetic field. I have a product with a coil in it, currently having an issue, and I am going to look at current and older versions and see if this field has changed. I will start carrying a magnetic compass with me constantly and see if I can monitor some of these anomalies. I do not have anything like a tube monitor/TV any more. I bet that the old equipment put out a field of their own (remember mom saying don’t sit too close to the TV).

Brings in a whole new meaning to attracting … , well something. Pokémon GO players may trigger an earthquake, a meteor strike or something. For this event, I would take a magnetic compass near this location, out into the field if possible, and see what happens.

Now seriously, these fields can be distorting what is really happening. There is more to this that we don’t quite understand yet, something higher density to be certain. These magnetic fields from our devices are messing with those that are too near to them for a large portion of the day, you see it every day. What can we do? Stay grounded in reality! Haiku …

Keit said:
Very interesting! Well, if it is anything as starling murmurations, than this is what I found

Very interesting indeed! Especially, that there were so many of these tornado shaped swarms in one place.

This is what I found:

[quote author=http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(14)00835-5]

Although stationary, midges and mosquitoes shouldn’t be underestimated. In March 2014, photographer Filipa Scarpa captured a mosquito tornado on camera (Figure 1). Such a column-like shape is rare, but it isn’t unusual for non-biting midges, such as lake flies, to form vast swarms.

gr1.jpg

[/quote]
[quote author=http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/479367/Terrifying-pictures-of-1-000ft-tornado-made-of-mosquitos]
A 1,000ft tornado made up entirely of MOSQUITOS was pictured hurtling towards a herd of horses.
Photographer Ana Filipa Scarpa, 54, captured the scary sight at the Vila Franca de Xira in Portugal.
She said: "It was moving from left to right and at first it seemed like a phenomenon of the wind.
However, it didn't move, so I got into my car and started driving towards it.
As I got closer I realised it was not the wind - but mosquitoes swirling around, in the shape of a whirlwind."
The mosquitos were not trapped in a tornado but were apparently flying a massive conical formation under their own power.
The behaviour is rare but has been observed by nature watchers in the past.
[/quote]
[quote author=http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(14)00835-5]
During the last year, several different research groups have independently tackled the problem of quantifying the structure of midge and mosquito swarms. Techniques, first developed by physicists to study starling flocks, have been used to reconstruct the three-dimensional trajectories of individuals. Analysis of these data has revealed patterns in the flight paths of individuals. For example, male midges show ballistic motion, flying straight through the swarm, but turning abruptly when they reach its outer edge. Similar analysis has revealed patterns of interactions between individuals. Male mosquitos fly through the swarm in parallel pairs. Midges also cluster together within the swarm, with small distances between nearest neighbours.

It may seem strange that physicists and engineers have invested so much time tracking and measuring correlations in midge swarms. Their interest in midges can be best understood if we think of insects as particles. This analogy leads to the intriguing possibility that insect swarms can undergo phase transitions, from a disordered gas-like state to an ordered liquid-like migration. As in physical systems, these transitions occur suddenly as swarm density passes a critical point.

In their recent study, Attanasi et al. [2014] found that midge swarms are just below the critical point of phase transition. Although the swarm does not move collectively, as it would if it were above the transition point, it exhibits medium-scale correlations within the group. These correlations are caused by waves of motion, where parts of the swarm move together for short periods of time. It isn’t clear why the correlations have evolved. One possibility is that they are related to competition for females. A male can use the movement of others to detect whether a female is passing through another part of the swarm. When no females are present, the males chase each other around, unable to separate signal from noise.

Studies at the individual level have revealed a rich diversity of audio, visual and chemical cues and signals. Mosquitoes can hear and respond to each other’s flight tones. In the southern house mosquito, male–female coupling occurs with wing-beat frequencies converging on the nearest shared harmonic. In insects with developed vision there is continuous optical feedback whilst flying.[/quote]

And another video of the phenomenon in Russia:

https://youtu.be/rlikz0Y-dt0

I can only say that apart from mating behaviour, it would be a highly effective way of migrating a swarm.
As when a new queen bee leaves the nest and takes her followers to a new location.

Also it's worth noting that wasps are attracted to resonant cavities, g00gling Grebennikov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Grebennikov

has the info.

Unfortunately we did not find out what kind of insect the referenced particular swarm was.

Back
Top Bottom