Coffee and Probiotic Enema's

Carl said:
Thanks for the link Lainey, that is what I already have been using but was just unsure whether it was effective for populating the gut doing it with the bulb.

In many ways this is kind of uncharted territory so I guess we just have to go with it.
I think it's because if you do the probiotic one with more water, more of the probiotic gets flushed out afterwards, but with a smaller amount it can stay in there and has more chance to take hold. I'll see if I can find the same article I read it in again.

I bought this one: _http://www.directionwithpurpose.com/best-coffee-enema-kit-and-kaboodle-all-you-need-to-get-started/
It's recommended for beginners, and comes with an instruction manual as well as a bag of organic coffee specially designed for enemas.
I've done a few coffee enemas and a few probiotic enemas up to now. First I followed recommendations of 1 quart water (for coffee enemas) but I've found that's a bit too much. For probiotic enemas, I've only used 1 or 2 cups water - makes it much easier to hold it in. I lie on the right side, then on the left one, trying to massage the belly all the while. I think I've started to notice an improvement in overall well-being/gut health only after a couple enemas (but I'm not sure I did it 'right' the first times).

Marina9 said:
Turgon said:
Marina9 said:
Just to chime in with the experience I had, doing the probiotic enemas last month for a couple of days. I did dissolve them and left them overnight in a closed cup :/ I did the retention enema for about 15 minutes. The one thing I did notice very strongly was a lot of things going on emotionally speaking, and I didn't connect the dots until my sister in law was telling us about how she was feeling too, also she did coffee enemas and it seemed to have upset her tummy a bit.. I didn't get a fancy glass one, just the one from our local pharmacy but it worked quite good. I will continue the enemas, but I think i'll give it a try with the coffee and see how that goes :)

Do you know the kind of materials that are used to make the enema kit you're using? The glass ones are pricey but apparently they don't leach anything into the coffee or probiotic solution. I'm guessing here, but if you're using a kit that has rubber, plastic or something like that as part of the hose or container and some small particles get into the solution, that might cause some side effects, osit.

Hum.. it is plastic :( but I thought that "weird" feeling was from all the things moving around internally and then seeing the effects emotionally, so maybe it is combination of both things? Knowing this, the pricey version will be the best way to go then.

Carl could be right and the leaching might be negligible, so try not to worry too much about it. There was a warning about that in one of the articles so that's why I brought it up. It could also be due to the different strains of probiotics you are using, and also the stomach normally tends to hold a lot of emotions to begin with, so any kind of major change in the bacterial environment might cause some 'weirdness.'

I came across this article that talks about a lot of the different strains of bacteria and what they are supposed to do. http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/probiotic-strains/

Understanding the benefits of various probiotic strains and how they affect digestive health is essential in order to properly evaluate which probiotic supplement is best for you. This table identifies a number of common probiotic strains and the benefits they confer. Refer to it as you weigh the pros and cons of different products.

Lactobacillus Species

The predominant and most important bacteria that reside in the small intestine are the Lactobacillus species. These species are responsible for producing lactase, the enzyme required to break down lactose (the sugar in milk). They also collectively ferment carbohydrates in the gut, producing lactic acid as result of this process. Lactic acid helps create an acidic environment in the digestive tract, which discourages many unwanted microorganisms that thrive in an alkaline environment. Lactic acid also increases absorption of minerals such as calcium, copper, magnesium, and iron.

L. Acidophilus is, in my opinion, is the most important strain of the Lactobacillus species. This bacterium colonizes most densely in the small intestine, where it helps maintain the integrity of the intestinal wall, ensure proper nutrient absorption, and support healthy overall digestive function.

Research shows that acidophilus also can help ease occasional digestive discomfort. In a double blind placebo controlled study, patients taking this probiotic strain experienced significantly more relief from their symptoms than patients taking a placebo. A separate meta-analysis found that probiotics containing acidophilus help to alleviate occasional diarrhea, and a third study found that supplements containing both acidophilus and B. bifidum help modulate the response of microflora in the intestines to the effects of antibiotics.

Additional preliminary research shows that acidophilus may help boost immune system activity and support vaginal health in women.
Overall digestion
Nutrient absorption
Relief from occasional cramping, gas, and diarrhea
Immune health
Urinary and vaginal health in women

L. fermentum. This probiotic strain, which has been found in the probiotic foods sourdough and kimchi, produces superoxide dismutase and glutathione, both powerful antioxidants that help neutralize some of the toxic products made in the gut during digestion. L. fermentum has also been isolated as exhibiting activity against foodborne pathogens.
Overall digestion
Detoxification

L. plantarum L. plantarum is known for its ability to produce hydrogen peroxide. The body uses hydrogen peroxide as a defense against bacteria consumed in food, as well as other microorganisms. Research has also found this strain to be effective in helping support immune function in healthy adults.
Overall digestion
Immune health

L. rhamnosus This probiotic strain is known for its ability to survive passage through the GI tract and is thought to be among the best Lactobacillus strains for vaginal health. It also loves to travel to foreign places; that is, a review of research on probiotics finds that Americans traveling from New York, NY, to developing countries and taking L. rhamnosus had a 3.9 percent rate of diarrhea, compared to a 7.4 percent rate for those not taking a probiotic.

A second review of research concluded that L. rhamnosus may help improve vaginal and urinary health and decrease vaginal irritation.
Traveler’s diarrhea
Vaginal health in women

L. salivarius L. salivarius is somewhat unique among probiotic strains in that it is capable of growing in less than ideal conditions, including environments high in salt, and with or without oxygen. It is found in the oral cavities (mouth, throat, and sinuses), intestines, and vagina, but grows best in the small intestine.

Research has shown that people taking L. salivarius had increased markers of immune activity. An additional study found that supplementing with L. salivarius helps to prevent the colonization of undesirable bacteria.
Immune health
Oral health

L. paracasei
L. paracasei is a robust strain found in the small intestine. It may also colonize in the colon if taken along with milk protein, which increases its resistance to stomach acid. This probiotic strain has the unique ability to support liver function. A prospective randomized study found that supplementation with a mixture of fiber and probiotics, which included L. paracasei, lowered urine pH and improved liver function in half of subjects.
Liver health

L. gasseri Relatively new, this probiotic strain is among the species of Lactobacilli predominantly linked to microflora in the vagina. Women with vaginal discomfort tend to have lower levels of L. gasseri than women with normal vaginal health.

L. gasseri also supports digestive health. Research shows that supplementation with a combination of L. gasseri and B. longum helps limit occasional diarrhea in adults.
Vaginal health
Relief from occasional diarrhea

L. reuteri L. reuteri colonizes in both the intestine and oral cavity. In human trials, it has been shown to support digestive, oral, and immune health.
Oral health
Immune health
Overall digestion

Bifidobacterium Species

Billions of Bifidobacterium line the walls of the large intestine (colon) and help ward off invasive harmful bacteria and other microorganisms, including yeast. Like the Lactobacillus strain, Bifidobacterium produce lactic acid, which provides up to 70 percent of the energy required by cells that line the intestinal wall, enhancing the natural protective barrier in the gut. Lactic acid also helps keep the pH of the large intestine acidic to discourage the growth of other bacteria. Additionally, this lower pH environment facilitates the absorption of minerals such as calcium, copper, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Bifidobacterium also produce B-complex vitamins and vitamin K.

As we age, the numbers of Bifidobacterium found lining the large intestinal wall naturally begins to decline.

B. bifidum This probiotic strain is among the first to colonize in the intestines of babies and continues throughout life to be one of the main groups of good flora found in the large intestine. (It can also be found in the small intestine.) In addition to helping promote bacterial balance, it prevents the growth of unwanted bacteria, molds, and yeasts by naturally adhering to the intestinal mucosa better than other bacterial strains.

B. Bifidum assists in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates, fat, and proteins during digestion. It also produces enzymes that break the larger molecules down into smaller components that the body can more efficiently use.

A meta-analysis of double blind human trials found that B. bifidum is one of the probiotic strains that can help alleviate occasional diarrhea, especially when traveling.
Overall digestion
Nutrient absorption
Relief from occasional diarrhea (particularly related to travel)

B. longum B. longum is one of the more common strains of Bifidobacteria found in the GI tract. Its digestive benefits stem from its ability to break down carbohydrates and to scavenge and neutralize everyday toxins found in the gut. Preliminary research suggests that the antioxidant properties of this probiotic strain include the chelation of metal ions—especially copper—and the scavenging of free radicals.

It is also supportive of immune health. Elderly patients administered B. longum showed heightened immune function for 20 weeks after discontinuing supplementation.
Overall digestion
Detoxification
Immune health

B. infantis This probiotic strain is the largest population of beneficial bacteria in babies. The amount of B. infantis in our guts decline as we age, but it remains an important part of our microflora. Supplementation with B. infantis has been shown to decrease bloating and bowel movement difficulty.
Overall digestion
Relief from occasional bloating and constipation

Bacillus Species

Bacillus bacteria are rod-shaped, spore-bearing bacteria that produce lactic acid Because it is a spore-bearing bacterium, it is highly resistant to heat, moisture, and light, making it highly resistant to stomach acid, and readily colonizes in the small intestine. Bacillus also resides in the body longer than other bacteria and is excreted slowly.

B. coagulans B. coagulans, like other lactic acid–producing bacteria, produces enzymes that assist in the digestion of lactose. It also improves the body’s ability to use calcium, phosphorus, and iron, and stimulates both gastric juices and gastric motility.

This strain also supports vaginal health in women. One study shows that women who took B. coagulans daily saw improvements in their vaginal pH level, with 91 percent of reporting relief from vaginal discomfort.
Overall digestion
Relief from occasional constipation
Vaginal health

Streptoccocus Species

S. salivarius K12. This probiotic strain is found in the oral cavity’s mucus membranes and is known for its ability to produce BLIS (bacteriocin-like inhibitory substances), which inhibit the ability of other undesirable bacteria to grow.

Research has found that the 10 percent of the population who naturally carry BLIS-producing strains of oral bacteria have significantly fewer sore throats. Studies have associated S. salivarius K12 with better ear health in children, “significantly” reduced dental plaque scores, increased levels of interferon gamma in saliva (an immune marker), and significant reduction in volatile sulphur compounds that cause bad breath.
Overall oral health
Immune health

S. Salivarius M18 S. salivarius M18 is also found predominantly in oral mucosa and, like the K12 strain, it also produces BLIS. S. salivarius M18 is most active in specific areas on the gums and teeth. S. salivarius M18 also promotes a healthy inflammatory response in the gums.
Healthy teeth and gums

Very interesting information. Thanks for the thread!

I also tried the probiotic enema once and my experience was similar to the one describe by Marina9. I posted about it in the autoimmune protocol thread and Gaby said that it could be that a particular strain in my probiotic capsule wasn't beneficial for me, which makes sense. I've been reading that for people with a compromised immune system, probiotics can be problematic since they activate the immune system and if it is too much at once, it can lead to a reaction and even a flare up. So I guess that for some people it's best to start with a low dose and maybe one or two strains at a time.

Another concern is that many probiotic capsules come with either inulin or chicory and don't know if that can cause damage when doing an enema.

Also, the equipment I bought at the local pharmacy it's quite uncomfortable, so I'll buy one of those posted here.

Turgon said:
How to do a Coffee Enema

1. Fill your container with 500ml to 1 liter maximum of coffee solution
2. Use 2 or 3 rounded TBSP of coffee bean powder per enema
3. When using the coffee solution for enema it must be room temperature
4. Lubricate tubing w/olive or coconut oil
5. Insert tubing roughly 3 inches (7.5 cm) up backside in the direction of your navel
6. Retain the liquid for 12-15 minutes maximum
7. Can lie on back or side (preferably right side for coffee because of the hepatic vein to the liver?) although there seems to be some dispute over what is best in this regard
8. It needs to be organic and caffeinated coffee, not decaf
9. Use Distilled water or RO (reverse osmosis) water
10. Apparently you can purchase organic enema coffee that's mold free and specifically geared towards it
11. If you get jittery after taking a coffee enema, reduce the amount of coffee used next time

Sorry for the silly question, but I just want to be absolutely certain I understand this part correctly - you do not actually brew the coffee, you just add the coffee grounds to luke warm water, skipping the processes of filtering? Then I have to ask, does that not lead to gritty coffee grounds in your intestines? :/

Also, if I understand correctly, if using warm water, you should allow to the solution to cool down to room temperature before proceeding? Or, should you be using room temperature water from the beginning?

I'm also assuming that using a viable source of water is preferred, i.e. non-fluoridated or chlorinated, clean, distilled water.

Again, sorry for the silly questions, ._. I appreciate any answers.

Just the idea of an enema doesn't sound very 'appealing' to me at all. I want to make sure I do it as best as I possibly can, if you will.

Solie said:
Turgon said:
How to do a Coffee Enema

5. Insert tubing roughly 3 inches (7.5 cm) up backside in the direction of your navel
7. Can lie on back or side (preferably right side for coffee because of the hepatic vein to the liver?) although there seems to be some dispute over what is best in this regard
10. Apparently you can purchase organic enema coffee that's mold free and specifically geared towards it
11. If you get jittery after taking a coffee enema, reduce the amount of coffee used next time

Sorry for the silly question, but I just want to be absolutely certain I understand this part correctly - you do not actually brew the coffee, you just add the coffee grounds to luke warm water, skipping the processes of filtering? Then I have to ask, does that not lead to gritty coffee grounds in your intestines? :/

Also, if I understand correctly, if using warm water, you should allow to the solution to cool down to room temperature before proceeding? Or, should you be using room temperature water from the beginning?

I'm also assuming that using a viable source of water is preferred, i.e. non-fluoridated or chlorinated, clean, distilled water.

Just the idea of an enema doesn't sound very 'appealing' to me at all. I want to make sure I do it as best as I possibly can, if you will.

You do brew it Solie, and the room temperature is the result of the brewing, you have to let it cool down, look this video may be helpful, it's a step by step of how to do it, although she does a big quantity of coffee, it may help you as a guide :)

https://youtu.be/1Ggit4Zhx8s

I've tried the probiotic enema three times before today. I can't hold a quantity of water for long because of slack muscles and likely stretching which I assume is from years of bowel inflammation, and laxative abuse when I was young. With the 1 litre coffee enema 12 minutes of holding is total max (if I even make it), I usually do it in two 500ml doses.

I tried a lower dose probiotic water volume tonight using 50ml, which is the amount of fluid the hose off my silicone bag holds. I unattached the hose from the bag and used some pressure from a large plastic syringe to blow it all in. It's been an hour, I can feel the fluid gurgling back towards the ascending colon (I may have gotten a little air in there too) . I've used 4 capsules of two kinds of probiotic that have soaked since 7 am this morning so they got a good 10 hours of blooming.

The day after my first probiotic enema a large amount of mucous expelled and I hardly held the enema in for a few minutes. It was quite disturbing to think how much more gunk is in there, how long it's been there for and how much it's added to my health miseries.

Marina9 said:
Solie said:
Turgon said:
How to do a Coffee Enema

You do brew it Solie, and the room temperature is the result of the brewing, you have to let it cool down, look this video may be helpful, it's a step by step of how to do it, although she does a big quantity of coffee, it may help you as a guide :)

https://youtu.be/1Ggit4Zhx8s

HAHAHA! XD Thank goodness! I was starting to really worry about this coffee enema 'procedure.' Thanks Marina for the video! :)

Marina9 said:
Solie said:
Turgon said:
How to do a Coffee Enema

Usually I brew it for 15 minutes in a pot and then cool it down to room temperature. I wouldn't recommend using any coffee machines for that: the may release some heave metals (mostly aluminium) and plastic into the coffee.

Yas said:

I also tried the probiotic enema once and my experience was similar to the one describe by Marina9. I posted about it in the autoimmune protocol thread and Gaby said that it could be that a particular strain in my probiotic capsule wasn't beneficial for me, which makes sense. I've been reading that for people with a compromised immune system, probiotics can be problematic since they activate the immune system and if it is too much at once, it can lead to a reaction and even a flare up. So I guess that for some people it's best to start with a low dose and maybe one or two strains at a time.

Another concern is that many probiotic capsules come with either inulin or chicory and don't know if that can cause damage when doing an enema.

Also, the equipment I bought at the local pharmacy it's quite uncomfortable, so I'll buy one of those posted here.

About chicory from Wikipedia:

Root chicory contains volatile oils similar to those found in plants in the related genus Tanacetum which includes Tansy, and is similarly effective at eliminating intestinal worms. All parts of the plant contain these volatile oils, with the majority of the toxic components concentrated in the plant's root.

Chicory is well known for its toxicity to internal parasites.

Maybe what you experienced wasn't a reaction to some probiotic strain but rather Herxheimer reaction to chicory?

Altair said:
Yas said:

About chicory from Wikipedia:

Root chicory contains volatile oils similar to those found in plants in the related genus Tanacetum which includes Tansy, and is similarly effective at eliminating intestinal worms. All parts of the plant contain these volatile oils, with the majority of the toxic components concentrated in the plant's root.

Chicory is well known for its toxicity to internal parasites.

Maybe what you experienced wasn't a reaction to some probiotic strain but rather Herxheimer reaction to chicory?

Interesting. I know a lot of southeast Asians put chicory in their coffee. Would it be a good idea to at some point, down the road to possibly do a coffee and chicory enema to relieve of any parasites?

Solie said:
Interesting. I know a lot of southeast Asians put chicory in their coffee. Would it be a good idea to at some point, down the road to possibly do a coffee and chicory enema to relieve of any parasites?

Well, somebody already tried it. I'm not sure at the moment whether it's a good idea to use it enema style. I couldn't find whether it could potentially have some negative effects on good gut bacteria. Besides, the potential Herxeimer reaction could be very strong. Here is what I found:

Health Benefits of Chicory

Digestive Issues: One of the most common reasons for adding chicory to a diet is to improve various functions of the digestive system. Chicory contains, inulin, which is a powerful probiotic. Probiotics are a classification of bacteria that actually confer benefits on the host, rather than diseases, which is what bacteria is commonly associated with. Inulin is used to combat a number of intestinal and digestive concerns, including acid reflux disease, indigestion, and heartburn because it actively reduces the acidity of the body’s systems.

Source: _https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/health-benefits-of-chicory.html

Solie said:

Funny that you mention people adding chicory to their coffee, while here (Belarus, Russia) chicory is being sold in the "diabetic" section as a substitute to coffee due to similarity in the consistency and flavor. :) Personally I've never tried it.

Altair said:
Here is what I found:

Digestive Issues: One of the most common reasons for adding chicory to a diet is to improve various functions of the digestive system. Chicory contains, inulin, which is a powerful probiotic.

Very interesting. Next time I go to the store I'll take a look at the chicory they sell and see if it has any additional "evil" stuff. If not, perhaps will buy it as an experiment.

Keit said:
Solie said:

Funny that you mention people adding chicory to their coffee, while here (Belarus, Russia) chicory is being sold in the "diabetic" section as a substitute to coffee due to similarity in the consistency and flavor. :) Personally I've never tried it.

Altair said:
Here is what I found:

Digestive Issues: One of the most common reasons for adding chicory to a diet is to improve various functions of the digestive system. Chicory contains, inulin, which is a powerful probiotic.

Very interesting. Next time I go to the store I'll take a look at the chicory they sell and see if it has any additional "evil" stuff. If not, perhaps will buy it as an experiment.
There is a brand called Chicory Cup which I use and it only has one ingredient; seems like they also do an organic version as well.
http://chicorycup.com/
An option is to do one part hot coffee, then add chilled, distilled water from the fridge (perhaps even crystal water) to bring the coffee down to a better temperature if you are short on time.

Back
Top Bottom