Coffee and Probiotic Enema's

lainey said:
Keit said:
Solie said:
Interesting. I know a lot of southeast Asians put chicory in their coffee. Would it be a good idea to at some point, down the road to possibly do a coffee and chicory enema to relieve of any parasites?

Funny that you mention people adding chicory to their coffee, while here (Belarus, Russia) chicory is being sold in the "diabetic" section as a substitute to coffee due to similarity in the consistency and flavor. :) Personally I've never tried it.

Altair said:
Here is what I found:

Health Benefits of Chicory

Digestive Issues: One of the most common reasons for adding chicory to a diet is to improve various functions of the digestive system. Chicory contains, inulin, which is a powerful probiotic.

Very interesting. Next time I go to the store I'll take a look at the chicory they sell and see if it has any additional "evil" stuff. If not, perhaps will buy it as an experiment.
There is a brand called Chicory Cup which I use and it only has one ingredient; seems like they also do an organic version as well.
http://chicorycup.com/
Also, if I understand correctly, if using warm water, you should allow to the solution to cool down to room temperature before proceeding? Or, should you be using room temperature water from the beginning?
An option is to do one part hot coffee, then add chilled, distilled water from the fridge (perhaps even crystal water) to bring the coffee down to a better temperature if you are short on time.

That's really interesting! I've never heard about it at all.
I found a brand on Amazon that says it's organic and there's only one ingredient.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prewetts-Chicory-Drink-Organic-Pack/dp/B0106BY6IY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477424938&sr=8-1&keywords=chicory+coffee

Or the same brand as Lainey found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barleycup-Chicory-Cup-Coffee-Pack/dp/B00U8ZJ7IS/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477425169&sr=8-9&keywords=chicory+coffee

Lilyalic said:
I found a brand on Amazon that says it's organic and there's only one ingredient.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prewetts-Chicory-Drink-Organic-Pack/dp/B0106BY6IY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477424938&sr=8-1&keywords=chicory+coffee

Or the same brand as Lainey found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barleycup-Chicory-Cup-Coffee-Pack/dp/B00U8ZJ7IS/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1477425169&sr=8-9&keywords=chicory+coffee
Although IMO, it can never replace the joy of coffee, it actually tastes pretty good. One tip is to make sure it stays well sealed and dry otherwise it turns into a thick, sticky, tar-like substance.

Altair said:
Yas said:
Very interesting information. Thanks for the thread!

I also tried the probiotic enema once and my experience was similar to the one describe by Marina9. I posted about it in the autoimmune protocol thread and Gaby said that it could be that a particular strain in my probiotic capsule wasn't beneficial for me, which makes sense. I've been reading that for people with a compromised immune system, probiotics can be problematic since they activate the immune system and if it is too much at once, it can lead to a reaction and even a flare up. So I guess that for some people it's best to start with a low dose and maybe one or two strains at a time.

Another concern is that many probiotic capsules come with either inulin or chicory and don't know if that can cause damage when doing an enema.

Also, the equipment I bought at the local pharmacy it's quite uncomfortable, so I'll buy one of those posted here.

About chicory from Wikipedia:

Root chicory contains volatile oils similar to those found in plants in the related genus Tanacetum which includes Tansy, and is similarly effective at eliminating intestinal worms. All parts of the plant contain these volatile oils, with the majority of the toxic components concentrated in the plant's root.

Chicory is well known for its toxicity to internal parasites.

Maybe what you experienced wasn't a reaction to some probiotic strain but rather Herxheimer reaction to chicory?

Yes, I guess that can also be the case.

Probiotic capsules normally add it as a prebiotic, something to feed the good bacteria. Buy my thought is also that maybe this isn't very good for an enema and that it would be better to find a brand without chicory or inulin.

Thanks for the info!

lainey said:
Lilyalic said:

Although IMO, it can never replace the joy of coffee, it actually tastes pretty good. One tip is to make sure it stays well sealed and dry otherwise it turns into a thick, sticky, tar-like substance.

It tastes very nice with MCT oil and glycine added. :) !
Thanks for the heads up about avoiding the sticky substance :D

This is an interesting article which takes a pick at the science behind good gut flora:

An Interview with Prof. Marco Ruggiero: Understanding the GI and Brain Microbiome and the Role of GcMAF in Harmonizing the Immune System with the Microbiome Populations

by Jacques Fernandez de Santos

_http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct2016/ruggiero1016.html

Jacques Fernandez de Santos: As reflected in your book, recently published with Peter and Drew Greenlow, Your Third Brain, there are three brains: the one inside the head, one in the GI tract, and the microbiome, an "organ" within organs disseminated throughout the gut and different parts of the body. How would you schematically define those three brains in lay terms?

Marco Ruggiero: When we wrote the book, we postulated the existence of three brains: two of these brains are "human"; that is, made by human neurons and glial cells in the brain inside our heads and embedded in the layers of the GI tract. These two human brains are interconnected and the flow of information is bidirectional; in lay terms, the brain inside our head influences the working of our GI tract and vice versa: the neurons in the GI tract influence the working of the brain inside the skull. The "third brain" was an intuition of mine, as explained in the book, and with this term I indicated the microbiome that is mainly, but not uniquely, located in the gut. In fact, the commensal microbes that constitute the microbiome produce substances, neurotransmitters, that influence both the neurons inside the skull and the neurons in the GI tract. There is a huge amount of scientific literature describing the interactions between the microbes and the function of the brain in health and disease. Thus, scientists now openly talk about "melancholic microbes" or "voices from within," referring to the alterations of the microbiome in psychiatric disorders such as depression or anxiety. Other scientists propose the development of "psychobiotics," which are sort of probiotics aimed at restoring the function of the third brain so as to rebalance our neurologic and psychological functions. It is also well assessed that experimental changes in the composition of the microbiome in the gut lead to changes in behavior that can be reversed by reconstituting the original microbiome. In sum, there is ample evidence for the existence of such a nonhuman "third brain," even if, as far as I know, we´ve been the first to use such a term to describe the role of the microbiome in influencing our neurological, cognitive, and psychological functions. In the past few months, however, after the publication of our commentary in Frontiers in Neuroscience (2015 Dec 22;9:485), I realized that there is indeed a "fourth brain." The fourth brain is nothing other than the brain microbiome; that is, the array of microbes that live in symbiosis with our neurons and glial cells inside our heads. This is a completely novel concept that had never been described thus far. The idea for such a fourth brain derives from a paper that was published a few years ago by Canadian researchers looking for microbes in the brains of HIV/AIDS patients (PLoS One. 2013;8[1]:e54673). I guess that it was a surprise for them to find out that "in an organ widely assumed to be free of infectious agents in the absence of a specific disease process, autopsied and surgically-derived human brain specimens showed a restricted but distinct bacterial population in the present studies, which was composed of bacterial classes chiefly recognized in the physical environment, i.e., soil and water." In other words, in the brains of healthy people, there are the same microbes that are found in the environment and, consequently, the gut. It is interesting to notice that, according to the authors, the microbes travel to the brain carried by cells of the immune system that include macrophages. In fact, they write, "The brain is constantly surveyed by trafficking leukocytes (activated lymphocytes and macrophages), which provide a Trojan horse mechanism for microbial entry into the nervous system across the blood brain barrier." And, quite obviously, the presence of the microbes in the brain has an enormous influence on the functioning of the neurons and the glial cells up to the point that the authors are compelled to write, in a rather poetic fashion, "Since bacteria express multiple molecules … their capacity for influencing brain function is immense" – "immense" being an absolute superlative.

In 2013, however, the existence of another immunological pathway leading to an even closer interconnection between the brain and the immune system, and hence the microbes that are carried by immune cells, was unknown, and only in 2015 it became evident that the brain has a classical lymphatic system like any other organ. Thus, as we describe in our paper in Frontiers in Neuroscience, there is an even stricter relationship between the function of the immune system and the function of the brain inside our heads: in fact, cells of the immune system carrying microbes to and from the brain may travel through these newly discovered lymphatic vessels bypassing the blood–brain barrier. The identification of the fourth brain bears unimaginable consequences: we have to consider the microbes as cells of the central nervous system with a dignity equal to that of neurons and glial cells, but with two important differences. First of all, they are nonhuman and the information in their DNA is microbial and not human; this means that they are looking after their interest that may or may not be coincident with the human interest. Second, they change continuously as we interact with the environment and, most important, with food, quite at variance with neurons and glial cells. In simpler words, as a sort of a slogan, we could say that "the microbes that you have in your brain are the microbes that you have in your gut … and you want to have good microbes in your gut!" In addition, we may want to add that "you want to have a functioning brain lymphatic system .. . and active macrophages" that recirculate and balance the microbial populations in the brain and in the gut. Thus, now we have four brains: two human brains, one inside our head and one in the walls of the GI tract, and two nonhuman brains, again, one inside our heads and one in the mucosa of our GI tract. Most likely, as we keep on studying the brain microbiome, or the fourth brain, we shall come to the conclusion that, in essence, we have only one integrated brain that is composed by human and nonhuman cells distributed in the gut and inside our heads. However, since we need to classify things in order to study and comprehend them, I feel that this, probably artificial, subdivision in four brains may help us in coping with the complexity of this system.

The division is artificial, but it helps to put the microbiome and its importance into perspective.

More info at:

_http://www.townsendletter.com/Oct2016/ruggiero1016.html

I also think that the vagus nerve is not highlighted because researchers are focusing on specific treatments and their mechanisms of actions. In this case, GcMAF, which is an expensive treatment.

It seems to me that probiotic enemas are the cheapest and most effective way to alter the microbiome in your gut and brain in a positive way :)

I've been doing probiotic/coffee enema protocol for three weeks now, few times per week. There's been very strong effect immediately, especially after coffee enemas: i get strong mental clarity and kind of heavy emotional "weight" lifting off my shoulders every time. Kinda similar effect as after swimming in a cold lake. When i did probiotic enema (using elixa brand, only done it two times) i noticed afterwards some eczema on my inner thighs and small crack at the corner of the mouth - maybe this was die off symptoms from bad bacteria? Now they're gotten better. Yesterday i did coffee enema, and had again positive effect but today morning i noticed red color in my pee. I had eaten some beetroot yesterday, but it has never colored urine before, so i'm assuming it's blood. I didn't have any pain and it didn't recur after, i'm feeling quite energetic! I've also noticed few times some (i assume) blood on the stool after the enemas. When i was eating traditional diet with grains (over 5 years ago) i had blood in stool from time to time throughout my life. After going paleo and low carb these symptoms disappeared but i've felt that i still have some issues connected to gut health.

Seppo Ilmarinen said:
I've been doing probiotic/coffee enema protocol for three weeks now, few times per week. There's been very strong effect immediately, especially after coffee enemas: i get strong mental clarity and kind of heavy emotional "weight" lifting off my shoulders every time. Kinda similar effect as after swimming in a cold lake. When i did probiotic enema (using elixa brand, only done it two times) i noticed afterwards some eczema on my inner thighs and small crack at the corner of the mouth - maybe this was die off symptoms from bad bacteria? Now they're gotten better. Yesterday i did coffee enema, and had again positive effect but today morning i noticed red color in my pee. I had eaten some beetroot yesterday, but it has never colored urine before, so i'm assuming it's blood. I didn't have any pain and it didn't recur after, i'm feeling quite energetic! I've also noticed few times some (i assume) blood on the stool after the enemas. When i was eating traditional diet with grains (over 5 years ago) i had blood in stool from time to time throughout my life. After going paleo and low carb these symptoms disappeared but i've felt that i still have some issues connected to gut health.

Keep in mind that the coffee enema is like having a very strong cup of coffee in terms of caffeine. So of course it will generally give you the mental clarity and weightlessness (if only it lasted forever!).

The blood in urine sounds pretty serious, if that is indeed what it is, so I would get that checked if it keeps happening.

I have also started the coffee enema protocol after reading up about it on the iodine thread. The plan is to do it on Sundays. I have done 2 Sundays already. First Sunday I used 1 teaspoon (was a wee bit weak) of coffee and could only hold it for 5 minutes. 2nd Sunday I did a water enema followed by coffee (2 tablespoons) enema where I was able to hold for 8 minutes. This seemed better because I have a lifetime problem with constipation. However I was buzzing, so I shall need to back down to 1 tablespoon . Highly recommended for those who have not started :)
Once I get use to the coffee enemas, I shall start on the probiotic one eventually :thup:

I started coffee and probiotic as well. Did coffee with 2 tbsp, but could only hold it for about 5 mins, and my probiotic last 13 minutes. I also have a history of constipation, although the magnesium citrate has helped tremendously. I will back down to 1 tbsp until I can do the whole 15 minutes, then up the coffee to 2 tbsp.

Thinkingfingers said:
I started coffee and probiotic as well. Did coffee with 2 tbsp, but could only hold it for about 5 mins, and my probiotic last 13 minutes. I also have a history of constipation, although the magnesium citrate has helped tremendously. I will back down to 1 tbsp until I can do the whole 15 minutes, then up the coffee to 2 tbsp.

You can try to do clean water enema shortly before coffee enema to empty the gut. It can help you to hold coffee solution for a longer time.

Carl said:
Keep in mind that the coffee enema is like having a very strong cup of coffee in terms of caffeine. So of course it will generally give you the mental clarity and weightlessness (if only it lasted forever!).

Good point, the caffeine itself surely has an effect too. I can still feel other positive effects after the caffeine has left the system, which started instantly the waste matter is flushed out of the body.

Carl said:
The blood in urine sounds pretty serious, if that is indeed what it is, so I would get that checked if it keeps happening.

Yeah, i'll definitely keep an eye on this. I'm not sure what it was but the color was strange. Hasn't occured again so far.

Carl said:
Seppo Ilmarinen said:

Carl, can you tell me, where did you get that "very strong cup of coffee" info?

Excerpt from https://www.sott.net/article/326631-Coffee-enemas-A-powerful-tool-for-detoxification-and-pain-relief :
"If you will be doing more than one enema per day, then it might be recommended to make the enema coffee not quite as strong. The body actually absorbs very little caffeine from an enema as compared to when a person drinks coffee, however some is still absorbed. The goal is to avoid getting a coffee buzz from an enema."

I had a question about how to go about cleaning a enema bulb? I did do the probiotic enema twice but failed to clean it and left it in the zip lock bag for a month, due to my laziness. I have read that that Hydrogen peroxide and water will be enough to sanitize it or should I just buy a new one. I know that it is nasty, just worried about growth of nasty pathogens :/

AD said:
I had a question about how to go about cleaning a enema bulb? I did do the probiotic enema twice but failed to clean it and left it in the zip lock bag for a month, due to my laziness. I have read that that Hydrogen peroxide and water will be enough to sanitize it or should I just buy a new one. I know that it is nasty, just worried about growth of nasty pathogens :/

Yes I read on a blog somewhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner, also this link provides some information.

ashu said:
AD said:

Yes I read on a blog somewhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner, also this link provides some information.

Here's some more info on cleaning an enema bulb. If you follow the instructions in the link you can always follow up with a hydrogen peroxide rinse. Maybe you can prop it up to let any drips of water flow out when you are done. Realistically, your enema bulb, even with thorough cleanings, will never be completely free of microbes in a strict sense. Nor, does it have to be considering where it is going. It should be clear from smells and grime to the best of your ability though. And it wouldn't hurt to replace it from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom