Coffee and Probiotic Enema's

Odyssey said:
ashu said:
AD said:
I had a question about how to go about cleaning a enema bulb? I did do the probiotic enema twice but failed to clean it and left it in the zip lock bag for a month, due to my laziness. I have read that that Hydrogen peroxide and water will be enough to sanitize it or should I just buy a new one. I know that it is nasty, just worried about growth of nasty pathogens :/

Yes I read on a blog somewhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner, also this link provides some information.

Here's some more info on cleaning an enema bulb. If you follow the instructions in the link you can always follow up with a hydrogen peroxide rinse. Maybe you can prop it up to let any drips of water flow out when you are done. Realistically, your enema bulb, even with thorough cleanings, will never be completely free of microbes in a strict sense. Nor, does it have to be considering where it is going. It should be clear from smells and grime to the best of your ability though. And it wouldn't hurt to replace it from time to time.

How about using Lugols solution/iodine for cleaning? Doesn't iodine have antibacterial,antiviral, antiparasitic and antifugal properties?
I use diluted Lugols in a spray bottle and just spray it all over my polymer (plastic) enema kit after washing it with detergent. I haven't had any problems so far.
If you have a metal enema kit then iodine is not a good idea because it reacts to metals.

TheTodd said:
Odyssey said:
ashu said:
AD said:
I had a question about how to go about cleaning a enema bulb? I did do the probiotic enema twice but failed to clean it and left it in the zip lock bag for a month, due to my laziness. I have read that that Hydrogen peroxide and water will be enough to sanitize it or should I just buy a new one. I know that it is nasty, just worried about growth of nasty pathogens :/

Yes I read on a blog somewhere that hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner, also this link provides some information.

Here's some more info on cleaning an enema bulb. If you follow the instructions in the link you can always follow up with a hydrogen peroxide rinse. Maybe you can prop it up to let any drips of water flow out when you are done. Realistically, your enema bulb, even with thorough cleanings, will never be completely free of microbes in a strict sense. Nor, does it have to be considering where it is going. It should be clear from smells and grime to the best of your ability though. And it wouldn't hurt to replace it from time to time.

How about using Lugols solution/iodine for cleaning? Doesn't iodine have antibacterial,antiviral, antiparasitic and antifugal properties?
I use diluted Lugols in a spray bottle and just spray it all over my polymer (plastic) enema kit after washing it with detergent. I haven't had any problems so far.
If you have a metal enema kit then iodine is not a good idea because it reacts to metals.

Thanks for the input, I think will just use some hydrogen peroxide and water. I don't think lugols would be a good idea.

One thing I was doing when making a probiotic solution was saving the capsules from the probiotics and re-filling them with the vitamin C powder I have which makes it easier to take IMO. Especially if I'm not in the house and want to carry some with me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any aftercare advice for taking an enema, I came across this when online:
Will it be okay to eat after having an enema?
We suggest that you eat at your normal mealtime, and consume a moderate amount of whatever seems gentle and nourishing to you. Just as it doesn't make sense to have your car cleaned and then immediately drive it through mud, eating a meal known to cause trouble in your abdomen directly after a enema isn't an intelligent choice.
Something light, like salads, vegetable soups or broths, fruit or juices are the best choice.

Because you'll be detoxing I'm guessing you don't want to tax your body and eat a big meal so do you just take it easy, have a small meal a couple of hours after, drink plenty of water, and maybe take some liver support like NAC and vit c? I also read that you can do 'dry body brushing' to stimulate lymph flow.

[quote author=http://www.rawliving.eu/blog/2011/05/your-best-friend-is-your-enema/]A great thing to do after an enema or colonic is dry skin brushing, to encourage this flushing of the lymph. After clean-up I like to dry skin brush and then get in the shower. I come out with a great feeling of being all shiny and new inside and out.[/quote]

Recently I've been suffering again from diarrhea and cramping (possible gut inflammation from a virus a couple of weeks ago) so I figured I'd try the enema as I read that people have received good results from them when they have stomach issues. I used about 1,5 quart coffee solution, and only managed to get through half before having to go to the toilet. I held the second half for abit longer though.

I felt really sleepy after and read that the coffee enema can lower your blood sugar so maybe this is why?
I had a 'gut feeling' :lol: that I didn't want to eat, but thought I should as I hadn't eaten since mid-morning and I've been losing weight. I had a bowl of stew but regretted it after as I had bad cramps and felt ill. I figured that I probably ate too much or too soon and should've listened to my body and not eaten. I'm going to try the pro-biotic enema today and see how it goes.

Jenn said:
I had a 'gut feeling' :lol: that I didn't want to eat, but thought I should as I hadn't eaten since mid-morning and I've been losing weight. I had a bowl of stew but regretted it after as I had bad cramps and felt ill. I figured that I probably ate too much or too soon and should've listened to my body and not eaten. I'm going to try the pro-biotic enema today and see how it goes.

My last enema despite not eating anything until I had done the enema, I felt I didn't want to eat too. But I forced myself to eat a bit of sausage.

I just hope through practice I can retain the enema longer (at the moment I manage around 8 minutes). Once I get into the hang of holding for 15 minutes I shall experiment with pro-biotic enema.

In my experience doing coffee treatments I found it best to take them away from food. At least two hours before or after eating. Typically, though, the treatments seem to have a blunting effect on hunger -- at least for me -- so I usually don't eat until the next day after doing one in the afternoon/early evening.

Odyssey said:
In my experience doing coffee treatments I found it best to take them away from food. At least two hours before or after eating. Typically, though, the treatments seem to have a blunting effect on hunger -- at least for me -- so I usually don't eat until the next day after doing one in the afternoon/early evening.

Thanks Odyssey I'll try leaving more of a gap next time and probably just not eat after.

Jenn said:
I felt really sleepy after and read that the coffee enema can lower your blood sugar so maybe this is why?

Hi Jenn! :D Well earlier I was reading something about this, and it said that if you felt sleepy it may be a symptom that there's too much toxicity in the liver, so you will need more coffee for the enema.. but what you mention could be another point too. I'm angry cause I can't find the link but I will look for it more carefully and post it here.

Now I found this website:

http://www.mygutsy.com/the-ultimate-liver-detox-coffee-enemas/

It has loads of information. And the topic mentioned before about what type of enema kit you use may be important too, taking into consideration it doesn't have PCV or toxic things, it says:

What kind of enema bucket?

Just like everything else you are using, it is important to get a non-toxic enema bucket and tubing. Now I am guilty of buying the latex red enema bag you see in the picture. I was new at it and I did not want to go make a big deal about it and buy a fancy enema bucket! ha. I wish I would have known to just buy a good one in the first place. Regular enema bags or even some plastic buckets are filled with toxic latex, vinyl, PVC or plastic. Yuck, hopefully I did not do too much extra harm to my body. These materials have cancer causing elements that leach out from acid.

Coffee is very acidic and can pull these toxins out…and you dont want that in your body. I know you may think the coffee is just flowing through, but after you do it over and over again the materials wear away and are more likely to leach more. I would suggest buying a stainless steel one (I like this company), which is going to be stronger/durable then plastic or latex.

If you budget is tight then buy a BPA free plastic one. The buckets are far easier to clean and are made for frequent enema use. You get to choose your bucket size. You can get a harness to hang the bucket too. Personalizing your enema routine sounds silly but can help reduce your toxic load even more.

As I said there's some good information in the page if you want to check it out :) I got finally good probiotics now with no other ingredients, just Acidophilus, so that's goo. So I've been doing one day probiotic and the other day coffee enemas, up to now it's been good, no weird things as before, just craazy thirst and my atopic dermatitis on my arms - which I've had since I was little has become more red now :( but it may be due also to the cold weather cause that's when I get it the most.

Marina9 said:
Jenn said:

Hi Jenn! :D Well earlier I was reading something about this, and it said that if you felt sleepy it may be a symptom that there's too much toxicity in the liver, so you will need more coffee for the enema.. but what you mention could be another point too. I'm angry cause I can't find the link but I will look for it more carefully and post it here.

Now I found this website:

http://www.mygutsy.com/the-ultimate-liver-detox-coffee-enemas/

It has loads of information. And the topic mentioned before about what type of enema kit you use may be important too, taking into consideration it doesn't have PCV or toxic things, it says:

What kind of enema bucket?

Just like everything else you are using, it is important to get a non-toxic enema bucket and tubing. Now I am guilty of buying the latex red enema bag you see in the picture. I was new at it and I did not want to go make a big deal about it and buy a fancy enema bucket! ha. I wish I would have known to just buy a good one in the first place. Regular enema bags or even some plastic buckets are filled with toxic latex, vinyl, PVC or plastic. Yuck, hopefully I did not do too much extra harm to my body. These materials have cancer causing elements that leach out from acid.

Coffee is very acidic and can pull these toxins out…and you dont want that in your body. I know you may think the coffee is just flowing through, but after you do it over and over again the materials wear away and are more likely to leach more. I would suggest buying a stainless steel one (I like this company), which is going to be stronger/durable then plastic or latex.

If you budget is tight then buy a BPA free plastic one. The buckets are far easier to clean and are made for frequent enema use. You get to choose your bucket size. You can get a harness to hang the bucket too. Personalizing your enema routine sounds silly but can help reduce your toxic load even more.

Thanks for the link Marina, it has lots of great info, I use a stainless steel bucket but it has a PVC hose, I thought the bucket was more important but now not so sure.

dermatitis on my arms - which I've had since I was little has become more red now :( but it may be due also to the cold weather cause that's when I get it the most.

I just came across this site: _http://www.charcoalremedies.com/leaky_gut_protocol while I was searching for something else and wondered if it might be applicable to your dermatitis?

Leaky gut can cause eczema, so when my eczema started spreading an herbalist told me to do a thorough liver cleanse. I did, not suspecting I had leaky gut. I drank a lot of water during the cleanse and sweetened it with honey, not knowing the sugar packed honey was exponentially increasing the bad bacteria that leaky gut already propagates. My gut became much worse and started 'leaking' so much poison from bad bacteria into the bloodstream that it was showing all over as eczema. I was barely alive after the liver cleanse.

Maybe the toxins you are releasing from the enemas are triggering the dermatitis?

Jenn said:
Thanks for the link Marina, it has lots of great info, I use a stainless steel bucket but it has a PVC hose, I thought the bucket was more important but now not so sure.

dermatitis on my arms - which I've had since I was little has become more red now :( but it may be due also to the cold weather cause that's when I get it the most.

I just came across this site: _http://www.charcoalremedies.com/leaky_gut_protocol while I was searching for something else and wondered if it might be applicable to your dermatitis?

Leaky gut can cause eczema, so when my eczema started spreading an herbalist told me to do a thorough liver cleanse. I did, not suspecting I had leaky gut. I drank a lot of water during the cleanse and sweetened it with honey, not knowing the sugar packed honey was exponentially increasing the bad bacteria that leaky gut already propagates. My gut became much worse and started 'leaking' so much poison from bad bacteria into the bloodstream that it was showing all over as eczema. I was barely alive after the liver cleanse.

Maybe the toxins you are releasing from the enemas are triggering the dermatitis?

Thank you Jenn for the information provided, I think it could be a cause too. I've had dermatitis since I was little, a dermatologist said it was "hereditary" and little by little it went away from my legs for example, now it's just the arms. But I do notice that in cold weathers it gets worse. Now apart from the enemas I've been cleaning my diet more, also intermittent fasting, which I think it may help too. So it could be the case that im detoxing, will see how it goes with time :) Another curious thing I found out is that on the arm I have the tattoo it doesn't pop out as much as on the other arm :huh: wonder why this might be..

I couldn't find the link I mentioned above :( but, doing some research on that topic I found this forum:

http://www.zity.biz/index.php?mx=forum;ox=display;topic=929

Many report feeling fatigued as a result of electrolyte imbalance, maybe another cause in ur sleepiness? What I do notice is that after I do the coffee enemas at the evening I get energy and mental clarity, but when it's time to sleep I go to bed like a baby, it's really relaxing.

I was wondering today whether it's a good idea to do enema with turmeric for the purpose of gut healing and here is what I found:

Induction with NCB-02 (curcumin) enema for mild-to-moderate distal ulcerative colitis - a randomized, placebo-controlled, pilot study.

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND AIMS:
Curcumin, an active ingredient of turmeric with anti-inflammatory properties, has been demonstrated to be useful in experimental models of ulcerative colitis (UC). It's efficacy in humans needs to be investigated.

METHODS:
A randomized, double-blind, single-centre pilot trial was conducted in patients with distal UC (<25 cm involvement) and mild-to-moderate disease activity. Forty-five patients were randomized to either NCB-02 (standardized curcumin preparation) enema plus oral 5-ASA or placebo enema plus oral 5-ASA. Primary end point was disease response, defined as reduction in Ulcerative Colitis Diseases Activity Index by 3 points at 8 weeks, and secondary end points were improvement in endoscopic activity and disease remission at 8 weeks.

RESULTS:
Response to treatment was observed in 56.5% in NCB-02 group compared to 36.4% (p=0.175) in placebo group. At week 8, clinical remission was observed in 43.4% of patients in NCB-02 group compared to 22.7% in placebo group (p=0.14) and improvement on endoscopy in 52.2% of patients in NCB-02 group compared to 36.4% of patients in placebo group (p=0.29). Per protocol analysis revealed significantly better outcomes in NCB-02 group, in terms of clinical response (92.9% vs. 50%, p=0.01), clinical remission (71.4% vs. 31.3%, p=0.03), and improvement on endoscopy (85.7% vs. 50%, p=0.04).

CONCLUSION:
In this pilot study we found some evidence that use of NCB-02 enema may tend to result in greater improvements in disease activity compared to placebo in patients with mild-to-moderate distal UC. The role of NCB-02 as a novel therapy for UC should be investigated further.

Source: _https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24011514

Does anybody have any experiences with it?

Jenn said:

Just a thought on this, if the liver detoxes through the skin and causes skin conditions - and is more aggravated through the enema, then do you continue doing enema's until the skin becomes less reactive or would you turn to other measures?

Also, I think the rash that I've been struggling with for nearly 2 years has improved since doing the Coffee enemas, although it's spontaneous when it flares up. If I stay away from sugars and nasty carbohydrates (but still eat "Paleo") then it seems to stay down, though it can also became irritated when I'm emotionally stressed. Something to consider.

Altair said:
I was wondering today whether it's a good idea to do enema with turmeric for the purpose of gut healing and here is what I found:

Induction with NCB-02 (curcumin) enema for mild-to-moderate distal ulcerative colitis - a randomized, placebo-controlled, pilot study.

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND AIMS:
Curcumin, an active ingredient of turmeric with anti-inflammatory properties, has been demonstrated to be useful in experimental models of ulcerative colitis (UC). It's efficacy in humans needs to be investigated.

METHODS:
A randomized, double-blind, single-centre pilot trial was conducted in patients with distal UC (<25 cm involvement) and mild-to-moderate disease activity. Forty-five patients were randomized to either NCB-02 (standardized curcumin preparation) enema plus oral 5-ASA or placebo enema plus oral 5-ASA. Primary end point was disease response, defined as reduction in Ulcerative Colitis Diseases Activity Index by 3 points at 8 weeks, and secondary end points were improvement in endoscopic activity and disease remission at 8 weeks.

RESULTS:
Response to treatment was observed in 56.5% in NCB-02 group compared to 36.4% (p=0.175) in placebo group. At week 8, clinical remission was observed in 43.4% of patients in NCB-02 group compared to 22.7% in placebo group (p=0.14) and improvement on endoscopy in 52.2% of patients in NCB-02 group compared to 36.4% of patients in placebo group (p=0.29). Per protocol analysis revealed significantly better outcomes in NCB-02 group, in terms of clinical response (92.9% vs. 50%, p=0.01), clinical remission (71.4% vs. 31.3%, p=0.03), and improvement on endoscopy (85.7% vs. 50%, p=0.04).

CONCLUSION:
In this pilot study we found some evidence that use of NCB-02 enema may tend to result in greater improvements in disease activity compared to placebo in patients with mild-to-moderate distal UC. The role of NCB-02 as a novel therapy for UC should be investigated further.

Source: _https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24011514

Does anybody have any experiences with it?

No personal experiences with it but I did find another article supporting it's efficacy in ulcerative colitis:

Turmeric Enema May Equal Vancomycin for C. Difficile Colitis
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Nov 03 - Turmeric enemas may be as tolerable and effective as vancomycin enemas for treating Clostridium difficile colitis, a small new study suggests.

Turmeric, a plant belonging to the ginger family, produces a bright yellow spice that has been used for thousands of years in food and as medicine. Curcumin is its major component.

Turmeric is known to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, and it also slows cell proliferation, according to Dr. P. Patrick Basu of North Shore Forest Hills Hospital and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York.

Dr. Basu told Reuters Health that after reading about the use of turmeric enemas for ulcerative colitis, he hoped to find a similar benefit for patients with moderate to severe C. difficile colitis.

He reported Monday at the American College of Gastroenterology's annual meeting in Washington, DC that he and his colleagues randomly assigned 36 patients to twice-daily enemas containing either vancomycin (250 mg), turmeric (1 g), or placebo, for 10 days. Patients also took 500 mg metronidazole orally three times a day for two weeks.

The infection was eradicated in similar proportions of patients in the vancomycin and turmeric groups (83% and 76%, respectively), compared to 66% in the placebo group.

At 21 days after the end of treatment, the ATLAS score for clinical severity (Age, Temperature, Leukocytes, Albumin, and Systemic antibiotics) was reduced by 60% in the vancomycin and turmeric groups, compared to 38% in the placebo group. In addition, the endoscopic appearance of luminal ulcers was improved with vancomycin and turmeric compared to placebo.

Recurrence developed in 10% of patients treated with vancomycin, 9% of those in the turmeric group, and 29% of patients who received the placebo.

While the treatment was generally tolerable, two patients given the turmeric enema complained of stained fomites. Dr. Basu and his team addressed the issue of leakage by giving patients non-medical suppositories after the enema was administered.

"The people who got vancomycin, they did very well, and curcumin, they did equally well," Dr. Basu said. "The beauty of it was that the curcumin was much, much less expensive." He estimated the cost of the turmeric enemas at $150 for 14 days of twice-daily enemas.

Dr. Basu said he and his colleagues are running a larger trial with 120 patients, which they plan to submit for publication next year.

May be worth experimenting with.

Lilyalic said:
Jenn said:

Just a thought on this, if the liver detoxes through the skin and causes skin conditions - and is more aggravated through the enema, then do you continue doing enema's until the skin becomes less reactive or would you turn to other measures?

Also, I think the rash that I've been struggling with for nearly 2 years has improved since doing the Coffee enemas, although it's spontaneous when it flares up. If I stay away from sugars and nasty carbohydrates (but still eat "Paleo") then it seems to stay down, though it can also became irritated when I'm emotionally stressed. Something to consider.

I think yes, that in my case my dermatitis is been triggered as a detox reaction and stress. I thought it was something hereditary as I was told by my dermatologist... but talking to Gaby this makes more sense to me now hehe.. For about two weeks or so I did them daily one coffee and one probiotic, and now im doing them just twice a week, giving my body a chance to detox and breathe a bit hehe. The dermatitis is still there and im also seeing it more in my thighs :( now the other thing is that along with starting the enemas I did clean my diet very much and went very low carb, which also triggered hormonal imbalances, three weeks late to my period and very bad insomnia... I guess that will be the stress factor in my case. Oh and I also eliminated butter a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had any studies done for allergic reactions to food, but since dairy may be the culprit too for dermatitis, i'll see if it goes a bit milder after cutting butter.

Marina9 said:
I think yes, that in my case my dermatitis is been triggered as a detox reaction and stress. I thought it was something hereditary as I was told by my dermatologist... but talking to Gaby this makes more sense to me now hehe.. For about two weeks or so I did them daily one coffee and one probiotic, and now im doing them just twice a week, giving my body a chance to detox and breathe a bit hehe. The dermatitis is still there and im also seeing it more in my thighs :( now the other thing is that along with starting the enemas I did clean my diet very much and went very low carb, which also triggered hormonal imbalances, three weeks late to my period and very bad insomnia... I guess that will be the stress factor in my case. Oh and I also eliminated butter a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had any studies done for allergic reactions to food, but since dairy may be the culprit too for dermatitis, i'll see if it goes a bit milder after cutting butter.

Are you still including chlorella in your protocol? You mention taking it in a couple of your previous posts. I found it really helpful along with activated charcoal to get the toxins and heavy metals out.

Liposomal glutathione also came to mind. It repairs leaky gut and helps with detox issues. There's a recipe on the Forum here. I've been taking it myself due to a detox overload and it has really helped. Hope you feel better. :)

Back
Top Bottom