Traits of Confident People

Ok, let's see...

They don’t make excuses. If there’s one trait confident people have in spades, it’s self-efficacy—the belief that they can make things happen. It’s about having an internal locus of control rather than an external one. That’s why you won’t hear confident people blaming traffic for making them late or an unfair boss for their failure to get a promotion. Confident people don’t make excuses, because they believe they’re in control of their own lives.

I know exactly what i control and what i don't, what i can control, and what i can't. I can't beleive i "control my own life", because i know this is false, i can only control some aspects. For example, i do not control the fact that i am ugly, stupid, lazy (ok, maybe i have a little control on that), etc... However, "control" is a key feature of my "pathology", i don't like when something is not under my control (this is why i don't like life, because there is too many uncontrollable parameters). This is why my life is focused on avoiding the most as possible what i can't control. For example: i can't control the traffic, so i risk to be annoyed any day. However, i can control how to be fired from my job, so i manage to be fired, then i don't have to deal with traffic to go at my job. Alternative: don't caring about being late at the job; you take both advantages 1. you are less annoyed and anxious about traffic until you are fired 2. you finally are fired, so you don't wasting your time any more in traffic. Well, fortunatly, i am a litle creative, so i can manage my "pathology" with this kind of scenario...

They don’t quit. Confident people don’t give up the first time something goes wrong. They see both problems and failures as obstacles to overcome rather than impenetrable barriers to success. That doesn’t mean, however, that they keep trying the same thing over and over. One of the first things confident people do when something goes wrong is to figure out why it went wrong and how they can prevent it the next time.

I don't tolerate the fail so i don't even try except if i am sure to succeed. Another key rule for me is : If people are better than me, mean i am not the right guy for that, so giving up, and let other people do... The fact is that i am the best in no domain, so i am perfectly useless, so giving up is now a general rule for me.

They don’t put things off. Why do people procrastinate? Sometimes it’s simply because they’re lazy. A lot of times, though, it’s because they’re afraid—that is, afraid of change, failure, or maybe even success. Confident people don’t put things off. Because they believe in themselves and expect that their actions will lead them closer to their goals, they don’t sit around waiting for the right time or the perfect circumstances. They know that today is the only time that matters. If they think it’s not the right time, they make it the right time.

In fact i raised the "procrastination" concept to a transcendental level... since i am afraid of both failure and success (success leads to more work, people begin to believe in you, so you get responsabilities, then this is more risk to fail and more pressure if you fail, or even worst: you can discover your own limits ! arghh !!! ), and i am lazy... so, i prefer to stay a pathological loser. Right here, it's cool, i am a loser, no responsibility, no one is counting on me, i can die almost nobody will notice my absence, the universe can continue without me, it's ok.

They don’t avoid conflict. Confident people don’t see conflict as something to be avoided at all costs; they see it as something to manage effectively. They don’t go along to get along, even when that means having uncomfortable conversations or making unpleasant decisions. They know that conflict is part of life and that they can’t avoid it without cheating themselves out of the good stuff, too.

Ha ha ha... what a joke... fortunately, i learned to avoid conflict...

They don’t get too comfortable. Confident people understand that getting too comfortable is the mortal enemy of achieving their goals. That’s because they know that comfort leads to complacency, and complacency leads to stagnation. When they start feeling comfortable, they take that as a big red flag and start pushing their boundaries again so that they can continue to grow as both a person and a professional. They understand that a little discomfort is a good thing.
Bringing It All Together

Are you crazy ? ... the whole life is an "discomfort", why would you want to "live more" (more discomfort) ?... you know this feeling when you wake up at 6 AM after 3 hours of sleeping ? That feeling, ALL THE TIME (well, almost, often, from some relative point of view)... I am totaly confident in life to thow me into discomfort, the life is very talented for that.

Embracing the behaviors of confident people is a great way to increase your odds for success

What success ? what for ? is there a contest ? No one told me ! i declare withdrawal...

obyvatel said:
Scientists have had debates on how much of confidence is inherited (or in 4th Way terms, comes from essence) and how much is learned. Some say 50-50. Others say confidence being a complex trait is more learned than inherited - like 75-25. The big 5 personality traits , openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism (o-c-e-a-n) are considered, on an average, closer to the 50-50 split.

This link above is an excellent article and well worth reading.

You can go here http://www.personal.psu.edu/%7Ej5j/IPIP/ to do either a long or short personality inventory based on these five factors. Remember, answer honestly, as you ARE, not as you were or hope to be.

I took the short version and here is my result. (I saved the results with SnapShot)

EXTRAVERSION 49
..Friendliness 51
..Gregariousness 50
..Assertiveness 67
..Activity Level 82
..Excitement-Seeking 10
..Cheerfulness 31
Your score on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.

Notice in the above that my activity level is very high as well as my assertiveness. This last is something I've had to learn. Also, my excitement seeking is VERY low; I don't seek out extra excitement; enough comes to me as a result of just pursuing my AIM; I don't need any extra and am thankful for spells of peace.

AGREEABLENESS 71
..Trust 27
..Morality 74
..Altruism 90
..Cooperation 76
..Modesty 74
..Sympathy 39
Your high level of Agreeableness indicates a strong interest in others' needs and well-being. You are pleasant, sympathetic, and cooperative.

Notice in the above that my altruism is a lot higher than my trust in others. True. I think I'm realistic.

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 89
..Self-Efficacy 73
..Orderliness 81
..Dutifulness 24
..Achievement-Striving 86
..Self-Discipline 91
..Cautiousness 84
Your score on Conscientiousness is high. This means you set clear goals and pursue them with determination. People regard you as reliable and hard-working.

As you can see above, self-discipline is high; I wouldn't get as much done without it, though I DO struggle with it sometimes! I am also very goal oriented, cautious, and ORDERLY. I don't see how anybody can get anything done without some order around them.

NEUROTICISM 28
..Anxiety 27
..Anger 27
..Depression 58
..Self-Consciousness 59
..Immoderation 28
..Vulnerability 13
Your score on Neuroticism is low, indicating that you are exceptionally calm, composed and unflappable. You do not react with intense emotions, even to situations that most people would describe as stressful.

As you see above, yeah, I get depressed and yes, I am often self-conscious. But I do what I have to do anyway.

OPENNESS 80
..Imagination 29
..Artistic Interests 90
..Emotionality 87
..Adventurousness 30
..Intellect 96
..Liberalism 69
Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.

Well, I'm open to experience within limits; again, the "orderliness" and self-discipline interact with this. I am intellectually very open, and have artistic interests, and am deeply emotional, but notice that my adventurousness is rather low and I don't spend much time imagining things.

Overall, I think it was pretty accurate and might be a very good tool for some of you to get to know your machine better. Hopefully, you can answer objectively for best results and help to yourself.

Laura said:
obyvatel said:
Scientists have had debates on how much of confidence is inherited (or in 4th Way terms, comes from essence) and how much is learned. Some say 50-50. Others say confidence being a complex trait is more learned than inherited - like 75-25. The big 5 personality traits , openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism (o-c-e-a-n) are considered, on an average, closer to the 50-50 split.

This link above is an excellent article and well worth reading.

You can go here http://www.personal.psu.edu/%7Ej5j/IPIP/ to do either a long or short personality inventory based on these five factors. Remember, answer honestly, as you ARE, not as you were or hope to be.

I took the short version and here is my result. (I saved the results with SnapShot)

EXTRAVERSION 49
..Friendliness 51
..Gregariousness 50
..Assertiveness 67
..Activity Level 82
..Excitement-Seeking 10
..Cheerfulness 31
Your score on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.

Notice in the above that my activity level is very high as well as my assertiveness. This last is something I've had to learn. Also, my excitement seeking is VERY low; I don't seek out extra excitement; enough comes to me as a result of just pursuing my AIM; I don't need any extra and am thankful for spells of peace.

AGREEABLENESS 71
..Trust 27
..Morality 74
..Altruism 90
..Cooperation 76
..Modesty 74
..Sympathy 39
Your high level of Agreeableness indicates a strong interest in others' needs and well-being. You are pleasant, sympathetic, and cooperative.

Notice in the above that my altruism is a lot higher than my trust in others. True. I think I'm realistic.

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 89
..Self-Efficacy 73
..Orderliness 81
..Dutifulness 24
..Achievement-Striving 86
..Self-Discipline 91
..Cautiousness 84
Your score on Conscientiousness is high. This means you set clear goals and pursue them with determination. People regard you as reliable and hard-working.

As you can see above, self-discipline is high; I wouldn't get as much done without it, though I DO struggle with it sometimes! I am also very goal oriented, cautious, and ORDERLY. I don't see how anybody can get anything done without some order around them.

NEUROTICISM 28
..Anxiety 27
..Anger 27
..Depression 58
..Self-Consciousness 59
..Immoderation 28
..Vulnerability 13
Your score on Neuroticism is low, indicating that you are exceptionally calm, composed and unflappable. You do not react with intense emotions, even to situations that most people would describe as stressful.

As you see above, yeah, I get depressed and yes, I am often self-conscious. But I do what I have to do anyway.

OPENNESS 80
..Imagination 29
..Artistic Interests 90
..Emotionality 87
..Adventurousness 30
..Intellect 96
..Liberalism 69
Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.

Well, I'm open to experience within limits; again, the "orderliness" and self-discipline interact with this. I am intellectually very open, and have artistic interests, and am deeply emotional, but notice that my adventurousness is rather low and I don't spend much time imagining things.

Overall, I think it was pretty accurate and might be a very good tool for some of you to get to know your machine better. Hopefully, you can answer objectively for best results and help to yourself.

It was a fun test! I dediced to go ahead with the long one. I recall I did one of this type of tests a long time ago with a therapist, it was not exactly like this one, but similar. One of the things she recommended me is that it would be better not to answer to much with the "Neither Accurate
Nor Inaccurate," since that could make it in a way difficult to give more accurate results, so with that in mind I answered it.

So here are my results:

EXTRAVERSION 49
..Friendliness 70
..Gregariousness 52
..Assertiveness 25
..Activity Level 32
..Excitement-Seeking 65
..Cheerfulness 45

[This is very much true, I do enjoy being with people and I do enjoy being alone. Used to think that this was something bad, but seeing things from where im standing now it's like an equilibrium I have in terms of social gatherings so to speak.]

DOMAIN/Facet Score
AGREEABLENESS 90
..Trust 28
..Morality 96
..Altruism 93
..Cooperation 67
..Modesty 79
..Sympathy 94

[Trust has been one of my "issues" and I do find it hard to trust in others.. Working on this cause sometimes I missjudge situations or people and then shut off completely, which is black/white thinking and is no good. This pleasant mentioned above, I think it may have to do with my low score in assertiveness, I do tend to be sometimes a people pleaser. And yes I do care about other people, I see my self specially sympathetic to vunerable people like homeless kids/adults and elders in need. ]

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 90
..Self-Efficacy 63
..Orderliness 94
..Dutifulness 88
..Achievement-Striving 53
..Self-Discipline 79
..Cautiousness 90

[Well sometimes I take quite some time to set my goals, but when I do set them I know what I have to do and do it]

NEUROTICISM 61
..Anxiety 73
..Anger 58
..Depression 40
..Self-Consciousness 76
..Immoderation 39
..Vulnerability 67

Your score on Neuroticism is average, indicating that your level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. Stressful and frustrating situations are somewhat upsetting to you, but you are generally able to get over these feelings and cope with these situations.

[Yup anxiety and self-consciousness are my evil monsters hehe. Lately anxiety has been deacreasing a lot, and self-consciousness little by little im trying to get out of my own head. And with the above results, this makes me think that I know im capabe of things and all in all I do like doing and helping, so this is more important to me than my problems with my self-consciousness]

OPENNESS 87
..Imagination 42
..Artistic Interests 91
..Emotionality 92
..Adventurousness 50
..Intellect 79
..Liberalism 92

[And yes I do, learing about different topics and searching, going to new places and changing routine is something I very much enjoy]

And now from what I can remember with the test I did before a while ago, I can see some things that changed. The one thing that is still there is anxiety, but back then for me it was an obstacle that made me totally blinded in front of situations, running around like crazy and panicking haha, but now I can see that im slowly being able to see it as a fun challenge and not letting it overwhelm me that much.

Thank you Laura, it has been an interesting read here!

Edit added: Found this little nice video about confidence, thought this was interesting; the courage to accept imperfection in order to keep on going and don't fall into this self-bashing loops.

https://youtu.be/1D-vyjQIUDc

I prefer the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, more synthetical... This IPIP-NEO is, IMO, too much based on self-judgment, which first often lead to "well, i don't know, check neither yes nor no" or "that depend the situation, check neither yes nor no", and secondly, this mean this is based on what we beleive what we are, so this can't be realy objective (who can really judge itself on some questions ?)... so you get only some "average" except for things we already well know about ourself and are realy salient... this make the test nearly useless for me.

EXTRAVERSION 3
..Friendliness 29
..Gregariousness 11
..Assertiveness 1
..Activity Level 17
..Excitement-Seeking 1
..Cheerfulness 46

AGREEABLENESS 91
..Trust 75
..Morality 85
..Altruism 66
..Cooperation 90
..Modesty 50
..Sympathy 94

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 26
..Self-Efficacy 7
..Orderliness 11
..Dutifulness 91
..Achievement-Striving 32
..Self-Discipline 3
..Cautiousness 71

NEUROTICISM 30
..Anxiety 15
..Anger 20
..Depression 25
..Self-Consciousness 70
..Immoderation 28
..Vulnerability 62

OPENNESS 52
..Imagination 64
..Artistic Interests 63
..Emotionality 10
..Adventurousness 53
..Intellect 84
..Liberalism 31

The Big 5 has been correlated to the Jungian MBTI by Costa and McCrae with extraversion obviously being extraversion (opposite introversion) and agreeableness with feeling (against thinking); conscientiousness with judging (against perceiving); openness with intuiting (against sensing). The MBTI created a comfort scale to match with neuroticism; it's more a health/maturity level thing than an actual personality trait. In MBTI terms I would thus be INFP which is what I am for the MBTI. One thing I don't like about this test is that I think it groups some subtraits together that really should not be together but you can always just look at the subtrait scores to get around this problem.

Thanks for the link to the test.
I did the short version now, but it was hard on a lot of questions "neither accurate nor inaccurate" because it depended on the situation. That's one thing that seems to make these tests sometimes an issue.

DOMAIN/Facet Score
EXTRAVERSION 21
..Friendliness 74
..Gregariousness 55
..Assertiveness 25
..Activity Level 18
..Excitement-Seeking 1
..Cheerfulness 27
Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends.

On some other tests I score in the middle. I suppose it depends on the situation. In normal everyday life, I have a low activity level becaue I don't find a point to overdo it at work.
Excitement seeking is definately low because as long as I remembered, I would not get bored on my own. I actually find big loud crowds overwhelming, due to the noise. Without the noise, I am ok in crowds. Cheerfulness is hard these days, a few years ago I'd score higher.

AGREEABLENESS 52
..Trust 70
..Morality 50
..Altruism 57
..Cooperation 18
..Modesty 35
..Sympathy 82
Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.

Trust was always easy for me, despite having being hurt before. I tend to think people mean well, even though bad things happen. However, I refuse to excuse people for willfull repetitive ignorance and after a few strikes, I will label them as not trustworthy or honest. Not sure if this is any better than starting off with less trust and giving trust with time? Maybe most of my anger is that I think people are good and deserve good but they easily accept lies and evil. ARGH! That's why I started the thread on Belief, because I wondered what could take a good intention and turn it on it's head- why the huge flip of good people into "robots" as we saw Haffner write about? Nowaday "Zombies"...

Cooperation is low. They say high scores dislike confrontations. Like above people who I can learn to not trust in seeing their lack of awareness, I tend not to bother working with them. Sometimes, it can cause issues- and might be why in this city I am introverted because the values are upside down! But when forced to work with others, I can and will confront behavior that takes away fairness or passes the buck.
Modesty is low, because of those ignorant people who I have learned to stop trusting. I don't think I am better than everyone, but I do feel that I loathe a lot of the authoritarian followers and DO look down on them- as I don't feel like they want to or can truly think or listen. But I don't like to be a leader either. Maybe an unhealthy form of this is someone who is low in modesty uses it to control others that they see are "weaker" than them, I just avoid them.

Sympathy high, but I don't pity much. I do feel angry at the suffering around the world not only at the psychopaths but the lazy people who don't stand up with us! I can't pity someone who willfully ignores solid advice and keeps putting themselves in bad situations. However, I don't apply that to those who have to live in a twisted society -> unemployment where any job is easily cut due to little or no government regulation these days. I hate conservatives that say "pick yourself up by the bootstraps as they sit in their golden palaces. Just because Carnegie started off as a child laborer does not mean every child laborer can work hard and be like him!

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 38
..Self-Efficacy 24
..Orderliness 33
..Dutifulness 41
..Achievement-Striving 17
..Self-Discipline 47
..Cautiousness 80

Very low, except for duty, discipline and cautiousness.
I'm not very orderly in general. It's both a weakness and a strength. It helps in troubleshooting issues that have little to no traceability, like complex controls "black boxes". I'm not much of a "builder" or "creator", but a "fixer" or "analyst" as other tests have shown.
I should practice more order, but the only place I can do that is at home. At work, in my environment order is difficult, with a boss who means well but is ADHD/ADD. Unfortunately, we cannot easily choose where or who we work with in this bad economy.

NEUROTICISM 50
..Anxiety 55
..Anger 82
..Depression 46
..Self-Consciousness 8
..Immoderation 19
..Vulnerability 85
Your score on Neuroticism is average, indicating that your level of emotional reactivity is typical of the general population. Stressful and frustrating situations are somewhat upsetting to you, but you are generally able to get over these feelings and cope with these situations.

Anger- from society and having to suffer consequences from ignorant authoritarian followers. I harp on that, but in a crowded city, it's not easy to get away from them.
Not self-conscious - could care less about fitting in a group that sometimes is Bizarro, but I do care to not offend people, like liberals, conservatives, or religions UNLESS they push their crap onto me.
Immoderation- very low "drives" cravings etc.
Vulnerability- I have to work on this. I think my problem is that my environment means I am surrounded by people who aren't aware and like to pass the buck. I might have some trauma in past blaming for things that weren't my fault (and at the time destroyed my self esteem and confidence). I'm not sure then if it's natural to be this way in a threatening "city" or am I excusing it?

OPENNESS 56
..Imagination 11
..Artistic Interests 60
..Emotionality 84
..Adventurousness 19
..Intellect 87
..Liberalism 62
Your score on Openness to Experience is average, indicating you enjoy tradition but are willing to try new things. Your thinking is neither simple nor complex. To others you appear to be a well-educated person but not an intellectual.

Imagination low, yes I don't like subjective things, but I do enjoy sci-fi and psychological stories. My dreams are random and weird enough to not need to day dream, I suppose?
I'm not adventurous, but that could be the adventures in my location are not very fulfilling and quite boring. I do like to travel, but having had changed jobs I haven't been able to get much time off in the last 2 years. Routine is nice in this crazy world, maybe a push back, but also because my job is not routine?

So, the order thing seems to be my biggest issue category. It could also have been from childhood where we had to rough it a lot?

EXTRAVERSION 65
..Friendliness 88
..Gregariousness 41
..Assertiveness 67
..Activity Level 41
..Excitement-Seeking 27
..Cheerfulness 85

AGREEABLENESS 38
..Trust 48
..Morality 74
..Altruism 17
..Cooperation 76
..Modesty 3
..Sympathy 64

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 92
..Self-Efficiency 95
..Orderliness 81
..Dutifulness 24
..Achievement-Striving 74
..Self-Discipline 91
..Cautiousness 91

NEUROTICISM 1
..Anxiety 1
..Anger 19
..Depression 7
..Self-Consciousness 1
..Immoderation 2
..Vulnerability 31

OPENNESS 56
..Imagination 1
..Artistic Interests 50
..Emotionality 53
..Adventurousness 99
..Intellect 58
..Liberalism 69

Thanks for sharing the test links Laura.

I did the long form. I wanted to calibrate my self-assessment for these traits with what the test would say. So before taking the test, I came up with the following expectations:

Extraversion: Low
Agreeableness: Little higher than average
Conscientiousness: High
Neuroticism: Little lower than average
Openness to experience: Average

This is what I got from the test results.

Extraversion

Extraversion is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy being with people, are full of energy, and often experience positive emotions. They tend to be enthusiastic, action-oriented, individuals who are likely to say "Yes!" or "Let's go!" to opportunities for excitement. In groups they like to talk, assert themselves, and draw attention to themselves.

Introverts lack the exuberance, energy, and activity levels of extraverts. They tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and disengaged from the social world. Their lack of social involvement should not be interpreted as shyness or depression; the introvert simply needs less stimulation than an extravert and prefers to be alone. The independence and reserve of the introvert is sometimes mistaken as unfriendliness or arrogance. In reality, an introvert who scores high on the agreeableness dimension will not seek others out but will be quite pleasant when approached.

EXTRAVERSION 4
..Friendliness 17
..Gregariousness 7
..Assertiveness 16
..Activity Level 80
..Excitement-Seeking 1
..Cheerfulness 1

Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends.

The overall extraversion score matched my expectation. The bolded comment above is a consistent feedback that I have gotten over the years from others.

Extraversion Facets

Friendliness. Friendly people genuinely like other people and openly demonstrate positive feelings toward others. They make friends quickly and it is easy for them to form close, intimate relationships. Low scorers on Friendliness are not necessarily cold and hostile, but they do not reach out to others and are perceived as distant and reserved. Your level of friendliness is low.

Gregariousness. Gregarious people find the company of others pleasantly stimulating and rewarding. They enjoy the excitement of crowds. Low scorers tend to feel overwhelmed by, and therefore actively avoid, large crowds. They do not necessarily dislike being with people sometimes, but their need for privacy and time to themselves is much greater than for individuals who score high on this scale. Your level of gregariousness is low.

Assertiveness. High scorers Assertiveness like to speak out, take charge, and direct the activities of others. They tend to be leaders in groups. Low scorers tend not to talk much and let others control the activities of groups. Your level of assertiveness is low.

Activity Level. Active individuals lead fast-paced, busy lives. They move about quickly, energetically, and vigorously, and they are involved in many activities. People who score low on this scale follow a slower and more leisurely, relaxed pace. Your activity level is high.

Excitement-Seeking. High scorers on this scale are easily bored without high levels of stimulation. They love bright lights and hustle and bustle. They are likely to take risks and seek thrills. Low scorers are overwhelmed by noise and commotion and are adverse to thrill-seeking. Your level of excitement-seeking is low.

Cheerfulness. This scale measures positive mood and feelings, not negative emotions (which are a part of the Neuroticism domain). Persons who score high on this scale typically experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy. Low scorers are not as prone to such energetic, high spirits. Your level of positive emotions is low.

The way the traits of "friendliness" and"gregariousness" are described and my scores match overall to expectations.

Assertiveness score reflects how I am naturally. However life and responsibilities have taught me to be more assertive than what I am naturally. So that score seems low for as I am today. It is possible that I answered the questions regarding assertiveness more from the perspective of how I used to be.

Activity levels are high as expected.

Excitement seeking is low as expected.

The biggest surprise was the cheerfulness score :scared: Definitely needs improvement.

Agreeableness

Agreeableness reflects individual differences in concern with cooperation and social harmony. Agreeable individuals value getting along with others. They are therefore considerate, friendly, generous, helpful, and willing to compromise their interests with others'. Agreeable people also have an optimistic view of human nature. They believe people are basically honest, decent, and trustworthy.

Disagreeable individuals place self-interest above getting along with others. They are generally unconcerned with others' well-being, and therefore are unlikely to extend themselves for other people. Sometimes their skepticism about others' motives causes them to be suspicious, unfriendly, and uncooperative.

Agreeableness is obviously advantageous for attaining and maintaining popularity. Agreeable people are better liked than disagreeable people. On the other hand, agreeableness is not useful in situations that require tough or absolute objective decisions. Disagreeable people can make excellent scientists, critics, or soldiers.

AGREEABLENESS 82
..Trust 42
..Morality 94
..Altruism 57
..Cooperation 61
..Modesty 88
..Sympathy 82

The overall score was a little higher than I expected.

Agreeableness Facets

Trust. A person with high trust assumes that most people are fair, honest, and have good intentions. Persons low in trust see others as selfish, devious, and potentially dangerous. Your level of trust is average.

Morality. High scorers on this scale see no need for pretense or manipulation when dealing with others and are therefore candid, frank, and sincere. Low scorers believe that a certain amount of deception in social relationships is necessary. People find it relatively easy to relate to the straightforward high-scorers on this scale. They generally find it more difficult to relate to the unstraightforward low-scorers on this scale. It should be made clear that low scorers are not unprincipled or immoral; they are simply more guarded and less willing to openly reveal the whole truth. Your level of morality is high.

Altruism. Altruistic people find helping other people genuinely rewarding. Consequently, they are generally willing to assist those who are in need. Altruistic people find that doing things for others is a form of self-fulfillment rather than self-sacrifice. Low scorers on this scale do not particularly like helping those in need. Requests for help feel like an imposition rather than an opportunity for self-fulfillment. Your level of altruism is average.

Cooperation. Individuals who score high on this scale dislike confrontations. They are perfectly willing to compromise or to deny their own needs in order to get along with others. Those who score low on this scale are more likely to intimidate others to get their way. Your level of cooperation is average.

Modesty. High scorers on this scale do not like to claim that they are better than other people. In some cases this attitude may derive from low self-confidence or self-esteem. Nonetheless, some people with high self-esteem find immodesty unseemly. Those who are willing to describe themselves as superior tend to be seen as disagreeably arrogant by other people. Your level of modesty is high.

Sympathy. People who score high on this scale are tenderhearted and compassionate. They feel the pain of others vicariously and are easily moved to pity. Low scorers are not affected strongly by human suffering. They pride themselves on making objective judgments based on reason. They are more concerned with truth and impartial justice than with mercy. Your level of tender-mindedness is high.

Trust score as average is expected.

Morality score is higher than expected. I would have thought average.

Altruism score is a little lower than expected.

Cooperation score average is expected.

Modesty score high is expected. I feel sometimes it is a liability living and working in western society.

Sympathy score high is higher than I expected.

Looks like the higher than expected scores on morality and sympathy pushed the overall agreeableness score above what I expected.

Conscientiousness

Conscientiousness concerns the way in which we control, regulate, and direct our impulses. Impulses are not inherently bad; occasionally time constraints require a snap decision, and acting on our first impulse can be an effective response. Also, in times of play rather than work, acting spontaneously and impulsively can be fun. Impulsive individuals can be seen by others as colorful, fun-to-be-with, and zany.

Nonetheless, acting on impulse can lead to trouble in a number of ways. Some impulses are antisocial. Uncontrolled antisocial acts not only harm other members of society, but also can result in retribution toward the perpetrator of such impulsive acts. Another problem with impulsive acts is that they often produce immediate rewards but undesirable, long-term consequences. Examples include excessive socializing that leads to being fired from one's job, hurling an insult that causes the breakup of an important relationship, or using pleasure-inducing drugs that eventually destroy one's health.

Impulsive behavior, even when not seriously destructive, diminishes a person's effectiveness in significant ways. Acting impulsively disallows contemplating alternative courses of action, some of which would have been wiser than the impulsive choice. Impulsivity also sidetracks people during projects that require organized sequences of steps or stages. Accomplishments of an impulsive person are therefore small, scattered, and inconsistent.

A hallmark of intelligence, what potentially separates human beings from earlier life forms, is the ability to think about future consequences before acting on an impulse. Intelligent activity involves contemplation of long-range goals, organizing and planning routes to these goals, and persisting toward one's goals in the face of short-lived impulses to the contrary. The idea that intelligence involves impulse control is nicely captured by the term prudence, an alternative label for the Conscientiousness domain. Prudent means both wise and cautious. Persons who score high on the Conscientiousness scale are, in fact, perceived by others as intelligent.

The benefits of high conscientiousness are obvious. Conscientious individuals avoid trouble and achieve high levels of success through purposeful planning and persistence. They are also positively regarded by others as intelligent and reliable. On the negative side, they can be compulsive perfectionists and workaholics. Furthermore, extremely conscientious individuals might be regarded as stuffy and boring. Unconscientious people may be criticized for their unreliability, lack of ambition, and failure to stay within the lines, but they will experience many short-lived pleasures and they will never be called stuffy.

DOMAIN/Facet Score
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 89
..Self-Efficacy 45
..Orderliness 94
..Dutifulness 85
..Achievement-Striving 48
..Self-Discipline 80
..Cautiousness 98

Conscientiousness Facets

Self-Efficacy. Self-Efficacy describes confidence in one's ability to accomplish things. High scorers believe they have the intelligence (common sense), drive, and self-control necessary for achieving success. Low scorers do not feel effective, and may have a sense that they are not in control of their lives. Your level of self-efficacy is average.

Orderliness. Persons with high scores on orderliness are well-organized. They like to live according to routines and schedules. They keep lists and make plans. Low scorers tend to be disorganized and scattered. Your level of orderliness is high.

Dutifulness. This scale reflects the strength of a person's sense of duty and obligation. Those who score high on this scale have a strong sense of moral obligation. Low scorers find contracts, rules, and regulations overly confining. They are likely to be seen as unreliable or even irresponsible. Your level of dutifulness is high.

Achievement-Striving. Individuals who score high on this scale strive hard to achieve excellence. Their drive to be recognized as successful keeps them on track toward their lofty goals. They often have a strong sense of direction in life, but extremely high scores may be too single-minded and obsessed with their work. Low scorers are content to get by with a minimal amount of work, and might be seen by others as lazy. Your level of achievement striving is average.

Self-Discipline. Self-discipline-what many people call will-power-refers to the ability to persist at difficult or unpleasant tasks until they are completed. People who possess high self-discipline are able to overcome reluctance to begin tasks and stay on track despite distractions. Those with low self-discipline procrastinate and show poor follow-through, often failing to complete tasks-even tasks they want very much to complete. Your level of self-discipline is high.

Cautiousness. Cautiousness describes the disposition to think through possibilities before acting. High scorers on the Cautiousness scale take their time when making decisions. Low scorers often say or do first thing that comes to mind without deliberating alternatives and the probable consequences of those alternatives. Your level of cautiousness is high.

Overall score is as expected. Matches with my self-assessment as well as feedback I have received from others over the years.

Neuroticism

Freud originally used the term neurosis to describe a condition marked by mental distress, emotional suffering, and an inability to cope effectively with the normal demands of life. He suggested that everyone shows some signs of neurosis, but that we differ in our degree of suffering and our specific symptoms of distress. Today neuroticism refers to the tendency to experience negative feelings. Those who score high on Neuroticism may experience primarily one specific negative feeling such as anxiety, anger, or depression, but are likely to experience several of these emotions. People high in neuroticism are emotionally reactive. They respond emotionally to events that would not affect most people, and their reactions tend to be more intense than normal. They are more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening, and minor frustrations as hopelessly difficult. Their negative emotional reactions tend to persist for unusually long periods of time, which means they are often in a bad mood. These problems in emotional regulation can diminish a neurotic's ability to think clearly, make decisions, and cope effectively with stress.

At the other end of the scale, individuals who score low in neuroticism are less easily upset and are less emotionally reactive. They tend to be calm, emotionally stable, and free from persistent negative feelings. Freedom from negative feelings does not mean that low scorers experience a lot of positive feelings; frequency of positive emotions is a component of the Extraversion domain.

DOMAIN/Facet Score
NEUROTICISM 26
..Anxiety 69
..Anger 21
..Depression 26
..Self-Consciousness 69
..Immoderation 1
..Vulnerability 32

Neuroticism Facets

Anxiety. The "fight-or-flight" system of the brain of anxious individuals is too easily and too often engaged. Therefore, people who are high in anxiety often feel like something dangerous is about to happen. They may be afraid of specific situations or be just generally fearful. They feel tense, jittery, and nervous. Persons low in Anxiety are generally calm and fearless. Your level of anxiety is high.

Anger. Persons who score high in Anger feel enraged when things do not go their way. They are sensitive about being treated fairly and feel resentful and bitter when they feel they are being cheated. This scale measures the tendency to feel angry; whether or not the person expresses annoyance and hostility depends on the individual's level on Agreeableness. Low scorers do not get angry often or easily. Your level of anger is low.

Depression. This scale measures the tendency to feel sad, dejected, and discouraged. High scorers lack energy and have difficult initiating activities. Low scorers tend to be free from these depressive feelings. Your level of depression is low.

Self-Consciousness. Self-conscious individuals are sensitive about what others think of them. Their concern about rejection and ridicule cause them to feel shy and uncomfortable around others. They are easily embarrassed and often feel ashamed. Their fears that others will criticize or make fun of them are exaggerated and unrealistic, but their awkwardness and discomfort may make these fears a self-fulfilling prophecy. Low scorers, in contrast, do not suffer from the mistaken impression that everyone is watching and judging them. They do not feel nervous in social situations. Your level or self-consciousness is high.

Immoderation. Immoderate individuals feel strong cravings and urges that they have have difficulty resisting. They tend to be oriented toward short-term pleasures and rewards rather than long- term consequences. Low scorers do not experience strong, irresistible cravings and consequently do not find themselves tempted to overindulge. Your level of immoderation is low.

Vulnerability. High scorers on Vulnerability experience panic, confusion, and helplessness when under pressure or stress. Low scorers feel more poised, confident, and clear-thinking when stressed. Your level of vulnerability is average.

Here also, the overall score matches self-assessment and feedback from others.

Regarding the facets, I do not like the high score on "self-consciousness" but it is accurate as per my self-assessment. So that is something to work on.

Openness to Experience

Openness to Experience describes a dimension of cognitive style that distinguishes imaginative, creative people from down-to-earth, conventional people. Open people are intellectually curious, appreciative of art, and sensitive to beauty. They tend to be, compared to closed people, more aware of their feelings. They tend to think and act in individualistic and nonconforming ways. Intellectuals typically score high on Openness to Experience; consequently, this factor has also been called Culture or Intellect. Nonetheless, Intellect is probably best regarded as one aspect of openness to experience. Scores on Openness to Experience are only modestly related to years of education and scores on standard intelligent tests.

Another characteristic of the open cognitive style is a facility for thinking in symbols and abstractions far removed from concrete experience. Depending on the individual's specific intellectual abilities, this symbolic cognition may take the form of mathematical, logical, or geometric thinking, artistic and metaphorical use of language, music composition or performance, or one of the many visual or performing arts. People with low scores on openness to experience tend to have narrow, common interests. They prefer the plain, straightforward, and obvious over the complex, ambiguous, and subtle. They may regard the arts and sciences with suspicion, regarding these endeavors as abstruse or of no practical use. Closed people prefer familiarity over novelty; they are conservative and resistant to change.

Openness is often presented as healthier or more mature by psychologists, who are often themselves open to experience. However, open and closed styles of thinking are useful in different environments. The intellectual style of the open person may serve a professor well, but research has shown that closed thinking is related to superior job performance in police work, sales, and a number of service occupations.

DOMAIN/Facet Score
OPENNESS 33
..Imagination 28
..Artistic Interests 23
..Emotionality 53
..Adventurousness 3
..Intellect 71
..Liberalism 63

Your score on Openness to Experience is average, indicating you enjoy tradition but are willing to try new things. Your thinking is neither simple nor complex. To others you appear to be a well-educated person but not an intellectual.

Openness Facets

Imagination. To imaginative individuals, the real world is often too plain and ordinary. High scorers on this scale use fantasy as a way of creating a richer, more interesting world. Low scorers are on this scale are more oriented to facts than fantasy. Your level of imagination is low.

Artistic Interests. High scorers on this scale love beauty, both in art and in nature. They become easily involved and absorbed in artistic and natural events. They are not necessarily artistically trained nor talented, although many will be. The defining features of this scale are interest in, and appreciation of natural and artificial beauty. Low scorers lack aesthetic sensitivity and interest in the arts. Your level of artistic interests is low.

Emotionality. Persons high on Emotionality have good access to and awareness of their own feelings. Low scorers are less aware of their feelings and tend not to express their emotions openly. Your level of emotionality is average.

Adventurousness. High scorers on adventurousness are eager to try new activities, travel to foreign lands, and experience different things. They find familiarity and routine boring, and will take a new route home just because it is different. Low scorers tend to feel uncomfortable with change and prefer familiar routines. Your level of adventurousness is low.

Intellect. Intellect and artistic interests are the two most important, central aspects of openness to experience. High scorers on Intellect love to play with ideas. They are open-minded to new and unusual ideas, and like to debate intellectual issues. They enjoy riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers. Low scorers on Intellect prefer dealing with either people or things rather than ideas. They regard intellectual exercises as a waste of time. Intellect should not be equated with intelligence. Intellect is an intellectual style, not an intellectual ability, although high scorers on Intellect score slightly higher than low-Intellect individuals on standardized intelligence tests. Your level of intellect is high.

Liberalism. Psychological liberalism refers to a readiness to challenge authority, convention, and traditional values. In its most extreme form, psychological liberalism can even represent outright hostility toward rules, sympathy for law-breakers, and love of ambiguity, chaos, and disorder. Psychological conservatives prefer the security and stability brought by conformity to tradition. Psychological liberalism and conservatism are not identical to political affiliation, but certainly incline individuals toward certain political parties. Your level of liberalism is average.

The overall score on openness to experience was a little lower than I expected. The very low score on artistic interests was surprising. Not sure how to reconcile this. I am no art aficionado but enjoy some particular types of art. Used to practice and perform a couple of different art forms up to my college days, which was a long time ago. Still enjoy the same activities but do not get much time.

Overall, I found the inventory detailed, reasonably accurate and useful.

[quote author= luc]You can lament on the cruelness of the business world, complain about psychopaths and character-disturbed people and generally criticise everyone who has some stamina and success. OR you can get yourself together and start becoming STRONG - in being, in character, in life.
[/quote]

Besides the esoteric value this has. All these traits can serve you well considering what you can be up against in the cruelness of the business world.

Doing business is not about friendship, it's about partnership and hoping everyone will play it's role as agreed on in contract.

Be reasonable to people but always expect that everyone is going to screw you over.

For example I have seen that if you bring a new product on the market be sure that you got it legally bulletproof. Because no matter what, if this product happens to be successful people are going to falsely claim they deserve a big share of it. And even when they got nothing legally to stand on, even if you bought them out fair and square because they couldn't believe it would sell. Even when you invested financially 99,9% and they just 00,1%

If this new product happens to be successful afterwards they will sue you till kingdom comes and try to claim as much as they can. Usually they are just bluffing, it's not out of the ordinary that they will call you the day before court and try to settle for millions, while afterwards only agreeing of taking just a few grand.

It should get you mad but that doesn't mean it should get to you. There are always people out there willing to screw you over, and justice doesn't always prevail. It can't be helped. The only thing you can do is trying to deal with it in a healthy way and don't let it get to you.

Try to appreciate the learning experience and keep playing the game to the best of your ability.

And if you can't learn to separate business from private affairs. Don't get involved in this kind of business where wolves and vultures are always lurking because you wouldn't last emotionally.

Having seen people deal with this kind of situations was inspiring. They certainly had many of these confident traits.

Now I don't have to learn this the hard way if I ever find myself in the same situation.

Laura said:
stellar said:
Laura said:
Embracing the behaviors of confident people is a great way to increase your odds for success, which, in turn, will lead to more confidence. The science is clear; now you just have to decide to act on it.

_https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/critical-things-confident-people-wont-do-dr-travis-bradberry

And another thing that I think that didn't sit with me too well was the comment that it seems all about success which in my mind is subjective. The confident behaviour that may bring a feeling of success to one may be the opposite or unimportant to others. What is the intent of the wanted success and the ripple affect from it is more what I would consider.

Furthermore when someone uses the statement 'the science is clear' I just think "really? Todays 'science' has shown to be anything but clear" especially considering how ponerised so many scientists are and their studies.

Since you have so many objections to the piece perhaps you would like to share your own prescription for getting on in life effectively? Do you have a system? Does it work? Are your relationships with others successful? Are you a good obyvatel? What are your accomplishments?
I wasn't reading this post as a prescription for anything. What I did notice was some of the phrases that stood out for me, like the ones I mentioned. Most 'confident' people I have known were narcissistic. For example the ones that don't quit became a pain in the neck until they were told to back off. Those that didn't like to put things off unfortunately also failed to plan and fell flat on their proverbial face because it really wasn't the right time to do what they did. Some that did not avoid conflict found out that they were poorly equipped for the challenge and lost more that they were prepared for. All were lessons I guess.

The bolded parts I can relate to. It was just some of the expanded writing that I read into differently based on what I see in life more often than not and not objecting to the piece itself.

If I had a system for getting on in life effectively you would be reading my books :lol: but for now I'm filling my shelves with your words of wisdom and a dozen others...

Here are mine:

EXTRAVERSION 20
..Friendliness 21
..Gregariousness 2
..Assertiveness 75
..Activity Level 73
..Excitement-Seeking 1
..Cheerfulness 39

AGREEABLENESS 74
..Trust 7
..Morality 83
..Altruism 66
..Cooperation 82
..Modesty 86
..Sympathy 79

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 95
..Self-Efficacy 89
..Orderliness 96
..Dutifulness 44
..Achievement-Striving 60
..Self-Discipline 84
..Cautiousness 97

NEUROTICISM 40
..Anxiety 30
..Anger 35
..Depression 19
..Self-Consciousness 66
..Immoderation 62
..Vulnerability 53

OPENNESS 46
..Imagination 1
..Artistic Interests 71
..Emotionality 44
..Adventurousness 71
..Intellect 84
..Liberalism 29

obyvatel said:
T.C. said:
I think I understand what you mean. That this kind of person is more free of neuroses. That the quote might easily to apply to an organic portal, or 'exterior man' or a primitively integrated type person; the kind of person who 'fits' in this world and isn't racked by any sort of angst, despair, depression, self-questioning; whose inner world is stable.

I guess such people who might be automatically like this may be effective at achieving their goals, but what kind of goals would be the question. Through their self-confidence, they might get their degree, find a high-paying job, start a family and do a good job of taking care of them, be a useful member of society, etc.

But perhaps someone for whom this kind of self-confidence has had to be worked at and with a personality they've had to work hard at might be more concerned with aims of a less exterior and prescribed nature, and more geared towards deeper, or greater, or 'higher' ideals due to a richer experience of life.

That maybe the first type of person has a solid belief system, but their beliefs may be less objective, whereas the latter type of person acts from a belief system that is more based in objective reality.

This brings up the question "is confidence more a genetic trait or a learned behavior/attitude"?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/200907/self-confidence-nature-or-nurture

<snip>

Behavorial geneticist Corina Greven of King's College in London and her colleague, Robert Plomin of the Institute of Psychiatry, argue that self-confidence is more than a state of mind—but rather is a genetic predisposition. Their research, published in the June, 2009 issue of Psychological Science, is a rigorous analysis of the heritability of self-confidence and its relationship to IQ and performance.

They studied more than 3700 pairs of twins, both identical and fraternal twins, from age seven to age ten. Comparing genetically identical twins to non-identical siblings allows scientists to sort out the relative contributions of genes and the environment. Contrary to accepted wisdom, the researchers found that children's self-confidence is heavily influenced by heredity—at least as much as IQ is. Indeed, as-yet-unidentified self-confidence genes appear to influence school performance independent of IQ genes, with shared environment having only a negligible influence.

The fact that self-confidence is heritable does not mean it is unchanging, of course. Siblings share a lot of influences living in basically the same home and community, but there are always worldly influences pulling them apart. A genetic legacy of self-confidence merely opens up many possible futures.

Greven and Plomin also found that children with a greater belief in their own abilities often performed better at school, even if they were actually less intelligent. They also concluded that same held true for athletes, with ability playing a lesser role than confidence.

So this study, supporting the nature argument for self-confidence should put the cat among the pigeons with coaches, psychologists, trainers and parenting experts, who have argued for some time that nurturing had the most significant influence on developing self-confidence.
<snip>.

This article about heritability is extremely interesting in light of various discussions in "Political Ponerology" about normal people and the wide variations that exist among them that are not generally considered to be pathological. I've read a lot of studies along that line and my own take on it is that stuff is about 60% nature and 40% nurture. Just now, I can't cite anything that supports this, it's just a ballpark figure based on a lot of reading and observing/interacting with other people for a long time.

In regards to the 40% nurture part, Frankenstein's book about psychopathy is extremely useful because he talks a lot about different types of people and their possible early infancy experiences and how this can react with the genetic substratum to produce a wide variety of manifestations some of which may look similar on the outside, but are not; and he emphasizes that some conditions that may appear to be psychopathy are not, and some have possible positive therapeutic outcomes, while others are pretty much incurable. It is a very nuanced study. Of course, he uses Freudian language, but what he does with it is not really strictly Freudian.

Laura said:
In regards to the 40% nurture part, Frankenstein's book about psychopathy is extremely useful because he talks a lot about different types of people and their possible early infancy experiences and how this can react with the genetic substratum to produce a wide variety of manifestations

And this is where you understand that what you are is the result of almost 99% of parameters you never controlled and never chosen...

Here are my results. Tried to answer them as honestly as possible.
I think they are probably quite accurate (and a bit of a shock in some areas - especially the contrasts). Lots of work to do.

EXTRAVERSION 2
..Friendliness 32
..Gregariousness 10
..Assertiveness 1
..Activity Level 10
..Excitement-Seeking 4
..Cheerfulness 28

AGREEABLENESS 99
..Trust 74
..Morality 98
..Altruism 78
..Cooperation 98
..Modesty 85
..Sympathy 99

CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 16
..Self-Efficacy 2
..Orderliness 10
..Dutifulness 75
..Achievement-Striving 1
..Self-Discipline 17
..Cautiousness 80
Your score on Conscientiousness is low, indicating you like to live for the moment and do what feels good now. Your work tends to be careless and disorganized.

NEUROTICISM 69
..Anxiety 84
..Anger 18
..Depression 93
..Self-Consciousness 93
..Immoderation 10
..Vulnerability 74
Your score on Neuroticism is high, indicating that you are easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. People consider you to be sensitive and emotional

OPENNESS 76
..Imagination 91
..Artistic Interests 82
..Emotionality 68
..Adventurousness 3
..Intellect 45
..Liberalism 96

Extraversion
DOMAIN/Facet Score
EXTRAVERSION 22
..Friendliness 1
..Gregariousness 24
..Assertiveness 89
..Activity Level 97
..Excitement-Seeking 1
..Cheerfulness 5

Agreeableness
DOMAIN/Facet Score
AGREEABLENESS 43
..Trust 1
..Morality 47
..Altruism 64
..Cooperation 62
..Modesty 92
..Sympathy 65
Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.
(No surprise there since in the past that score would have been much higher but the costs of the sacrifices were becoming so high that I would not have been around to help anyone for much longer. It was a painful but conscious choice, right or wrong.)

Conscientiousness
DOMAIN/Facet Score
CONSCIENTIOUSNESS 96
..Self-Efficacy 58
..Orderliness 92
..Dutifulness 75
..Achievement-Striving 83
..Self-Discipline 93
..Cautiousness 93

Neuroticism
DOMAIN/Facet Score
NEUROTICISM 5
..Anxiety 14
..Anger 23
..Depression 75
..Self-Consciousness 3
..Immoderation 1
..Vulnerability 2

Openness to Experience
DOMAIN/Facet Score
OPENNESS 41
..Imagination 26
..Artistic Interests 4
..Emotionality 71
..Adventurousness 24
..Intellect 92
..Liberalism 51

Back
Top Bottom