Donations

Bobo08 said:
MusicMan said:
I had a look at that page, but it is all in French.
Not wanting to make any mistakes, I used the US page.
If the French page could be dual language that would solve the problem.
N'est-ce pas?

That's the page that Paypal presents after clicking the Donation button. I think it is in French because the CSM account is a French account. I'm now sure how to make it dual language though.

Well both are in English for me although my paypal account is in French.

Lindenlea said:
MusicMan said:
N'est-ce pas?

From memory, when I did my donation a couple of months ago, I remember it being in French, and I was having trouble logging into PayPal, so I decided to use credit card, at some point I was prompted with a screen for my particlars starting with country, when I selected Australia the whole page changed to English, then I was re prompted for my PayPal info and this time it worked as per normal.

Hello Lindenlea, When I was looking at the French page, I selected 'Australie' but it stayed in French.
So I discontinued the process.
Weird.

MusicMan said:
Lindenlea said:
MusicMan said:
N'est-ce pas?

From memory, when I did my donation a couple of months ago, I remember it being in French, and I was having trouble logging into PayPal, so I decided to use credit card, at some point I was prompted with a screen for my particlars starting with country, when I selected Australia the whole page changed to English, then I was re prompted for my PayPal info and this time it worked as per normal.

Hello Lindenlea, When I was looking at the French page, I selected 'Australie' but it stayed in French.
Weird.

From what I remember it was in French too, I did not see any "screen selection country", and yes, I made a "donation by mistake", did not cancelled it though, for the benefit of it, but it helped to avoid mistakes in the "original donation", I understand you MusicMan, is like entering in the twilight zone when one does not know the language, but I like to be in different languages sites and I took the risk. At the end of the process, I loggout through the mexican Paypal site, and that confused and alarmed me and went back to check everything, I do not trust mexican sites with credit cards, me and my malinchismo=tendency to favour things foreign.

Just remembered something else I did on my last transaction, the amount column is in european figures, i.e. instead of €20.00 (example) it must be european as in €20,00 using a comma not a period as the decimal point.

Hello Team,

Just thought I'll use the current thread rather than creating a new one with similar question. If that's been answered somewhere already then apologies from my side.

My previous one year donation subscription to the C's site ended two months back. I did use WorldPay service which I picked up from available donation providers on C's site. Now it seems there is PayPal available which allows to pay in USD only. My card account is in euros and I was a bit surprised by currency exchange rate they offered (1.06 instead of official central bank rate of 1.11). Previously with WorldPay there were no problems at all as they accepted euros.

So the question is - is there any way to send you money transfer in euros without getting charged off for currency exchange or PayPall is the only way to do that for those who are based in EU.

Thanks,
Atomas

Atomas said:
Hello Team,

Just thought I'll use the current thread rather than creating a new one with similar question. If that's been answered somewhere already then apologies from my side.

My previous one year donation subscription to the C's site ended two months back. I did use WorldPay service which I picked up from available donation providers on C's site. Now it seems there is PayPal available which allows to pay in USD only. My card account is in euros and I was a bit surprised by currency exchange rate they offered (1.06 instead of official central bank rate of 1.11). Previously with WorldPay there were no problems at all as they accepted euros.

So the question is - is there any way to send you money transfer in euros without getting charged off for currency exchange or PayPall is the only way to do that for those who are based in EU.

Thanks,
Atomas

Hi Atomas, you could send by bank transfer if you wish. Let me know and I'll pm you the details.

MusicMan said:
Lindenlea said:
MusicMan said:
N'est-ce pas?

Weird.

Following the link through the first time, i was presented with all French text and no option of flipping to English, i think this is because it is a French paypal account. So i used the email address for CSM and i think it flipped to English, once i logged in. Either way, as i mentioned above, i also had to navigate it in French. Not a problem in the end, just in case anybody else has issues! :)

Thanks Perceval!! I agree with you about not sending cash in the mail, but Euros are no good to me back here in the States, so I thought that sending them to Europe to be appropriate. I'll just drop them in a greeting card to the FOTCM address in Otto, NC, as registered mail.

aluminumfalcon said:
Thanks Perceval!! I agree with you about not sending cash in the mail, but Euros are no good to me back here in the States, so I thought that sending them to Europe to be appropriate. I'll just drop them in a greeting card to the FOTCM address in Otto, NC, as registered mail.

You can always convert them to dollars at your bank. That saves us some time! But if you don't the time, no worries. We always appreciate those who are willing to give, no matter the amount.

EDIT: Go ahead and send the Euros. We'll avoid the bank charges for converting currency.

mabar said:
MusicMan said:
Lindenlea said:
MusicMan said:
N'est-ce pas?

Weird.

From what I remember it was in French too, I did not see any "screen selection country", and yes, I made a "donation by mistake", did not cancelled it though, for the benefit of it, but it helped to avoid mistakes in the "original donation", I understand you MusicMan, is like entering in the twilight zone when one does not know the language, but I like to be in different languages sites and I took the risk. At the end of the process, I loggout through the mexican Paypal site, and that confused and alarmed me and went back to check everything, I do not trust mexican sites with credit cards, me and my malinchismo=tendency to favour things foreign.

Actually it gives you some understanding of the language difficulties faced by some/most of our brethren here.
I studied French at school, but that was over fifty years ago!
And because it was a financial transaction I didn't want there to be any slip ups, mainly because it was the first time I had ever used PayPal.
It's all good.

Gold colored donation button gone:

Is there a - judicial? - reason why the excellent yellow donation button is gone from near the top of Sott.net? It was easy to find, now I have to search for it - found at the bottom after scrolling way down, its buried in a blue color, conforming to the design and not getting attention and not catching the eye at all.

I might not be alone with this and did you look at the donation statistics? The button is no more before the eyes of visitors, who can see it immediately by opening the Sott page and decide to donate or not. Now people do not see it and are not reminded - consciously or subconsciously - to donate, the possible [automatic by reaction] thought process - "Oh, I see the donation button, when was the last time I donated? Yes, I should plan for a donation soon!" - doesn't start, because the button is missing from the top and people might not donate as often or not at all?

What's up with the change?

lilies said:

Is there a - judicial? - reason why the excellent yellow donation button is gone from near the top of Sott.net? It was easy to find, now I have to search for it - found at the bottom after scrolling way down, its buried in a blue color, conforming to the design and not getting attention and not catching the eye at all.

I might not be alone with this and did you look at the donation statistics? The button is no more before the eyes of visitors, who can see it immediately by opening the Sott page and decide to donate or not. Now people do not see it and are not reminded - consciously or subconsciously - to donate, the possible [automatic by reaction] thought process - "Oh, I see the donation button, when was the last time I donated? Yes, I should plan for a donation soon!" - doesn't start, because the button is missing from the top and people might not donate as often or not at all?

For me, using a PC, the donation button is right where it's always been and the same color.

lilies said:

For me the Donate button is still up in top menu bar, near the top of the page, as always.
FWIW, if browser window is too narrow, things get "translated" down the site, bellow everything. So it might be the case here. Widening your window will make the Donate button reappear near the top of the webpage.

Thank You, Saša! The two CTRL+mousewheel zoomed in settings I use to be able to see big letters on the page teleported the donation button into hyperspace. Now that you said it, I zoomed out the page so it has small letters and 'lo and behold' the donation button jumped into view. Right beside the search button, its best place. I'm relieved! :D

Hey guys,

Is there a Paypal email address to which send the donations? I want to withdraw some balance from a website directly to FOTCM through their PP option, and they are asking the email addy.

Back
Top Bottom