Wizard of OZ: Scarecow, Tinman, and Lion

dant

The Living Force
I was wondering if anything was said about what these
characters represent?

Scarecrow: Mental Center (Mind)
TinMan: Emotional Center (Heart)
Lion: Motion Center (Fear, Courage, Action?)

What do you think? Anyone care to comment?

dant said:
I was wondering if anything was said about what these
characters represent?
http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/signs/forum/search.php

;)

Ok Ryan, so you want me to use the search function to find links to the questions I asked?

Ok, here goes. I have used: 'scarecrow' as the search string and got:

Books->The Literary Enneagram: Characters FromThe Inside Out by Judith Searle said:
CarpeDiem said:
[...]
The Wizard of Oz
The Wizard of Oz, originally a book by L. Frank Baum, is best known in the film version starring Judy Garland. At the beginning of this beloved fantasy story, we see Dorothy living on a farm in Kansas with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. No one has much time for the young girl, and she is left to her own devices. She daydreams about a fantasy place "over the rainbow." A big twister comes up, and she is knocked unconscious by a window frame blown into her bedroom. She dreams the house is lifted from its foundation by the wind and lands in Oz.
Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, appears and says Dorothy has freed the Munchkins from the Wicked Witch of the East, who was crushed under Dorothy's house when it landed.
The Wicked Witch of the West appears and wants her dead sister's ruby slippers. When Glinda arranges for the slippers, which have magical powers, to go to Dorothy, the Wicked Witch vows revenge. Dorothy wants to get home, and Glinda advises her to walk to Oz and consult the Wizard. On the road Dorothy acquires three companions: a Scarecrow (Seven) who hopes the Wizard will be able to give him some brains, a Tin Woodsman (Two) who wants the Wizard to give him a heart, and a Cowardly Lion (Six), who hopes to acquire some courage.
They survive several attempts by the Wicked Witch to destroy them, arrive at the Emerald City, and finally get into the chamber of the Wizard, whom no one has ever seen. There is a big stage effect of smoke, and they hear the impressive voice of the Wizard telling them that before he will grant their wishes they must prove their worthiness by bringing him the broomstick of the Wicked Witch. They go into the enchanted forest, and the Wicked Witch instructs her army of winged monkeys to bring back Dorothy and her dog. The Witch still wants the ruby slippers. But they won't come off Dorothy's feet, and the witch decides she'll have to kill Dorothy to get them.
Toto escapes, finds the others in Dorothy's group, and leads them back to the Witch's castle and the room where Dorothy is being held. The Woodsman breaks open the locked door with his ax. But the Witch corners them before they can get out the front door and sets fire to the Scarecrow. Dorothy grabs a bucket of water and throws it on him. In the process, some of the water gets on the Wicked Witch, who melts away. The four of them go back to the Wizard with her broomstick, and he tells them to come back tomorrow. But Toto pulls aside a curtain, and they see a man running all the machinery that creates the impressive stage effects. They realize the whole thing is an illusion (the Wizard being a Three), and they won't get the things they seek, after all. But the Wizard gives the Scarecrow a diploma, which attests to his brains, and once he believes he has brains, he does. The Lion, says the Wizard, is suffering from disordered thinking. All he needs to attest to his courage is a medal, and the Wizard produces one. The Tin Woodsman, who needs a heart, is given a testimonial: "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." (Which might be the Two's motto.)
The Wizard plans to take Dorothy back to Kansas in the balloon he arrived in years ago. But once they are ready to go, Toto jumps out of the balloon basket, Dorothy runs after him, and the balloon takes off without her. Dorothy is in despair of ever getting home, but Glinda appears and tells her she has always had the power to go home. All she needs to do is close her eyes, click the heels of her ruby slippers together three times and think three times, "There's no place like home." She wakes up in her bedroom, thrilled to be home, and vows never to leave again.
Rules of Nine story genres
Here, in summary, are the unwritten rules of Nine story genres, including fantasy, magical realism, sword-and-sorcery stories and fairy tales:
The Nine protagonist is driven by the need to be connected with familiar people in familiar surroundings.
The Nine protagonist is underappreciated by herself and by loved ones.
The Nine protagonist has little ambition beyond survival and "getting home."
The Nine protagonist never seeks adventure or risk in real life, but has a vivid imagination and enjoys daydreaming.
Supernatural, magic and/or mystical elements are often important in Nine stories.
The Nine protagonist responds to events rather than initiating action. ï The Nine protagonist's will is tested in the course of the story. Events force her into action and she acquits herself well.
By the end of the story, the Nine protagonist comes to a new appreciation of home and family. And the Nine is appreciated more fully by others.
[...]
Ok, but here Judith explains what we already know about the Scarecrow, Tinman,
and the Lion however nothing is really said about what they represent except that
they are journey companions of Dorothy as she finds them on her journey and each
of them have their own illusions and only by removing those illusions they find they
had what they had all along... Ok, moving on...
Dr. Bizaramor Strikes Back->categories of membership : meaning of "user" ? said:
Laura quoting another source said:
[...]
To see him striding along the profile of
a hill on a windy day, with his clothes bagging and fluttering
about him, one might have mistaken him for the genius of famine
descending upon the earth, or some scarecrow eloped from a
cornfield.
[...]
ok, so this is a quote from a source that Laura finds hilarious... nothing
specific about the characters I am looking for... moving on...
Our Orwellian World->Is The Constitution a Scam? said:
JOda: Quoting another source said:
[...]
So, hopefully you see, and if you don't you aren't paying attention, that even if you were 100% successful in fully restoring your rights and freedoms under a constitution, then you have really gained nothing, you have only been conned. Since constitutions are written by the Hidden Hand to further their goals, you will have sacrificed your time, effort, relationships with family & friends, resources and maybe even your life, and will have simply gone in a circle - playing right into your enemy's hands. Constitutions are set up as a trap by your enemy, and those who reach the end of that blind alley are like Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion, searching for the mythical Wizard of Oz. At the end the only thing they find is just a man behind a curtain pushing buttons and pulling levers to create illusions of power. This "wizard" could give them nothing that they didn't already have.
[...]
Ok, this isn't about explaining the characters, but about how these character
went into a blind alley... Ah, a metaphor I guess. Moving on...
Questions for the SOTT Editors->Laura said:
rs said:
Are you Glinda or Dorothy? big_smile

If you are Dorothy, how do Joe, Henry, and Scott map to Tin Man, Lion and Scarecrow?
Ok, so these are about real persons and not necessarily about metaphors or what
characters represent? So, Laura indirectly states that she might be Dorothy and
ask the others to chime in, but they don't? Heh heh, funny at that.
Books->The esoteric content to be found in Harry Potter said:
atreides said:
Dorothy = Guide; Scarecrow = Intellect, Cowardly Lion = Physical, Tin Man = Emotional
Giles = Guide; Willow= Intellect, Buffy = Physical, Xander = Emotional
Obi Wan = Guide; Leia = Intellect, Luke = Physical, Han Solo = Emotional (Duo=C3PO, R2D2)
Dumbledore = Guide; Hermione = Intellect, Harry = Physical, Ron = Emotional (Duo= Fred & George)
Ah! Now we are getting somewhere! Very good! So, I'll just move along here since it is confirmed.
Note: Why is it that to find the ONE thread that you wanted, the search function gives me what I
was looking for, but the *last item in the list*! I guess that is what happens when I do a linear
search instead of non-linear search! Just joking... ;)

I knew I had seen it somewhere.

Just done a search and its on one of SOTT's favourite COINTELPRO sites - but what the heck - it was a reasonably well done parody, I liked it - but there is no accounting for taste :-)

_http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/12/12/21431/622

Enjoy

Kesdjan said:
Or maybe Dorthy = Magnetic Center?
and Dorothy is the missing 4th for a Jungian quaternity; adds time to space; adds a real to quaternionic imaginaries; adds the adjoint to a vector-half spinor-half spinor triality; adds force particles to spacetime - matter - antimatter; adds a second law of 3 triangle to the other side of the law of 7 hexagon; and allows the Trinity to hang out on earth or in heaven (via Christ, an Avatar, Rhiannon, etc.).

Rhiannon and her Three Birds drawn by Stevie Nicks:

424px-RhpaintF.gif

I remembered the C's referred to the mind as our most precious commodity numerous times and in the end of the film, Doroty says to Scarecrow (probably the Mind center as dant pointed out): "But I'm going to miss you most of all". Fwiw, just came to mind, I could be missing something though. And now a little bit off topic (which originally concerns Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion), if the place is not appropriate, please remove it. Just looked at the film for some inspiration and heard something I haven't before noticed - I think it's somewhat 31 minutes after the beginning, when the wicked witch of the West threatened Doroty and left the scene, Glenda said to the munchkins: "It's alright, you can now get up" and then said "What a smell of sulphur". Then I remembered the following sessions:

Session 1994-11-02

A: Think of The Wizard of Oz. It was inspired by us.
Q: (L) Does the witch represent the Lizzies?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) So, is there something we have or can do...
A: Glenda like us.
and
Session May 7, 1995

Q: (L) Why is an unbearable stench of sulphur associated with Alien
bodies and other related phenomena and entities?
A: Chemical interactions.
Q: (L) So, if an alien dies in 3rd density and remains in 3rd density,
and decays in 3rd density, that causes a chemical reaction that
creates sulphur or related compounds?
A: Bravo!

What do you guys think and have you noticed that yourselves? I have the 1939 version of the film and found a link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qisFJvLio&feature=related - the first thing that is said in the clip is the sulphur comment. I am still trying to figure out what Toto is a metaphor of. Any thoughts?
ivan

You might want to check this link:

_http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=2282

According to that article Toto stands for intuition:

Throughout the story Dorothy’s dog Toto represents her “inner voice”; her intuition. Here’s a description of Toto taken from the Theosophical Society’s website:

“Toto represents the inner, intuitive, instinctual, most animal-like part of us. Throughout the movie, Dorothy has conversations with Toto, or her inner intuitive self. The lesson here is to listen to the Toto within. In this movie, Toto was never wrong. When he barks at the scarecrow, Dorothy tries to ignore him: “Don’t be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don’t talk.” But scarecrows do talk in Oz. Toto also barks at the little man behind the curtain. It is he who realizes the Wizard is a fraud. At the Gale Farm and again at the castle, the Witch tries to put Toto into a basket. What is shadow will try to block or contain the intuitive. In both cases, Toto jumps out of the basket and escapes. Our intuitive voice can be ignored, but not contained.

In the last scene, Toto chases after a cat, causing Dorothy to chase after him and hence miss her balloon ride. This is what leads to Dorothy’s ultimate transformation, to the discovery of her inner powers. The balloon ride is representative of traditional religion, with a skinny-legged wizard promising a trip to the Divine. Toto was right to force Dorothy out of the balloon, otherwise she might never have found her magic. This is a call for us to listen to our intuition, our gut feelings, those momentary bits of imagination that appear seemingly out of nowhere.”

Yep, I think it fits in the overall picture. Thanks Odysseus, much appreciated. :D

Somehow, I was thinking of what was the archetype for
Professor Marvel/Wizard, did a google search, and found
an interesting PDF titled: "Archetypes of Oz" (chapter 2),
perhaps a Jungian point of view:

=============
Movies and the Mind: Theories of the Great Psychoanalysts Applied to Film, William Indick
_ http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-1953-1
=============
Chapter 2: Archetypes of OZ (Excerpt)
_http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/excerpts/0-7864-1953-9.Chapter2.pdf

Note: I -completely- missed the character of Professor
Marvel and did not realize his 'shape-shifting' abilities
in this movie - you may find this interesting...

FWIW,
Dan

I read somewhere that 'the Wizard of Oz' means that the real human entities that are orchestrating this whole game on planet Earth, are residing in Australia, the land of Oz. Australia has seemed to be kind of isolated, and it's interesting that most people would think that the controllers of our world are situated in North America, Britain and Israel, and not Australia.

The wizard of Oz symbolism

Hello everybody, I'm spanish and this is the first time I write in the forum.
My english isn't very good, sorry.
I will try to explain what's in my mind.

The other day I saw again the film The wizard of Oz.
That was because I was reading The Wave Chapter 3 (spanish version)
I saw the film when I was a child.

I think this film is very interesting to understand, because is full of symbolism.
Casiopeans said that was inspired by them.
I think that the tale is a very acurate representation of dynamic of human life nowadays and its possibilities in the world.
Perhaps somebody spoke in the Forum about this matter before, I coudn't find.

Well, the principal matter for Doroty is "to go back home", in other words, I suppose to go 4 D, STO condition or some kind of conscience status. Kansas represents that status as Casiopeans said.

Should be interesting to understand what represents every character in the tale.

Casiopeans explained some meanings for the characters, but not everything.
Examples from The Wave Chapter 3:
The magician: Iluminati
The soldiers of the witch: Nephalim.
The witch: (I think is not clear that are Lizzies)

Some of my explanations to the characters.

The scarecrow: Mind, thinking.
Is what he doesn't have (It's represented by the opposite)
Is the first character that Doroty finds when she goes to the emerald town. In the scene she is trying to decide the way to go and there are several routes to choose. That's the problem of mind, its logical. In this situatión has no reference to find the right solution.

The tinman: Emotions. He doesn' t have heart, we feel through heart, and it needs some kind of lubrication, like positive emotions. (The same, is represented by the opposite)

The lion: Instincts
What he doesn't have is courage (The same...)

Dorothy: Represents the soul. Is the part of the self that brings together the other three parts (before explained), as in the tale the other characters acompany Dorothy to the emerald town.
(Gurdjieff explained many things about that in his books).

¿Do you agree with the explanations above at this point?
Lets go on with other meanings:

¿What does it represent the following characters? ¿Does anybody have any idea?

The fairy (Glenda):
The ruby shoes: ¿? I am not decided yet about this meaning. Lets see some questions that were at The Wave Chapter 3
¿What said Glenda to Dorothy about the ruby shoes? Would allow her go home. Remember TAC, TAC, TAC. At the end of the film again, TAC, TAC, TAC. Reminded me to Gurdjieff (The law of THREE)
The dog:

My intention is to understand the significance of the whole tale refered to human live.

Perhaps Laura has more ideas, she is very perceptive, I will try to ask her at Barcelona's conference.
Anyway, thanks for your ideas.
See you.

Re: The wizard of Oz symbolism

Hi winnetou22,

Welcome to the forum. :) Some of the answers to your question are discussed in several topics here in the forum. Try Searching for "Wizard of Oz" or "Alice in Wonderland". By the way, we recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

Re: The wizard of Oz symbolism

hi, I thought maybe this might interest you, it's basically a documentary explaining the symbols in the wizard of oz, and relating it to our current economic/social system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkq2E8mswI

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom