Technical question

webglider

Dagobah Resident
I'm having difficulty figuring out how to follow the directions to create quote boxes.

Shane pointed out that my posts are confusing for this reason.

He's right.

Is there a way to break down the instructions into more steps?

It is rather easy. Look at the 'Quick Post', below the textbox (where I am tying in the message)
to you and you will see links: 'BBcode':on, tag:on, Smiles:on. Clicking on any one of these
links will lead you to the information you seek.

For example, I clicked on [BBCode]: and it took me here:
http://www.sott.net/signs/forum/help.php#bbcode

Good Luck!

And in case you did find those directions and still have trouble figuring it out, maybe this will help:

Click the "Post Reply" button below this post and copy and paste the text below this sentence exactly as you see it into your own post:

[quote=James]This is the text i want to quote.[/quote]

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Celebration!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks dant and ScioAgapeOmnis.

One more question:

Do I get back onto the above post by clicking "edit" or is there another way?

I ask this question because the message box disappeared when I clicked "edit".

Ok great see you quoted "James". You can edit your post if you want and add text before or after the quote, and basically play with it to get a feel for what is going on and how it works. And yes, the message box disappears when you hit "edit" because it goes back to how it looks when you're creating it using the [quote] commands.

While you're making or editing a post, you can click on "PREVIEW" instead of "SUBMIT" and you will see how your edits will look without having to actually post it to the forum. This way you can play and experiment with all the other features in that link dant provided, without having to actually post anything to the forum.

Chacara said:
How can I edit my post sent already? I don't see any "Edit" button around.

Until you've reached 50 posts on the forum, you are unable to edit your posts. It's part of the forum's software.

If you have 'Modify' privileges, a link would appear
in the top-right corner of your postings, next to the
'Quote' link. If you do not see this link, perhaps you
have not yet earned this privilege, until you have made
at least 50+ postings. Or So I Think.

Thank you very much, Anart and Dant! Now I understand why it's not working for me. You're right: I really don't have 50 posts yet. And probably I won't get there pretty soon, since my access to internet is limited (only at work) and, also, I wouldn't like to post anything without importance just to reach the necessary amount of messages. Oh, boy... A few days ago I ran a spellcheck of one of my messages before posting it, and, I don't know how, a correct word was replaced by a wrong one, but I didn't notice it on time. Do you think I can try to contact the moderator of the topic (via Report to Moderator option or by sending a personal message) and ask him/her to correct this word?

Perhaps in this case, being under 50 posts, one
needs to double-check the entire message before
posting? This is a valuable lesson I have learned
when using this forum. Many times, I have thought
things through very carefully before posting, and have
withdrawn many postings (because it was IMO, noise
or that the attempted message was of no real import).
Then again, I am not perfect, and I do occasionally
make mistakes and regret it... :/

Chacara said:
Do you think I can try to contact the moderator of the topic (via Report to Moderator option or by sending a personal message) and ask him/her to correct this word?

Just tell us right here what is the word in what post that you would like to be corrected.

And we will do so.

Hi Sott Team,

Without knowing what is possible, what is difficult in computer speak, can a filter in search mode be added for "Best of the Web"? Perhaps I'm missing an actual direct method of finding these already present, but often may remember a particular article captioned this way but have a hard time finding it on article key words alone, this might help to narrow it down.

Back
Top Bottom