Smoking is... good?

Gabor Mate, When the Body Says No, p.85.
"Smoking no more causes cancer of the lung than being thrown into deep water causes drowning."

P.87
"The results indicated that for lung cancer to occur, tobacco alone is not enough: emotional repression must somehow potentiate the effects of smoke damage on the body."

I've been noticing that a number of people I know (long term smokers) have recently switched to ecigs due to the great fear they have of smoking tobacco. Generally, this fear comes from their physicians primarily, family and peers (guilt). From what I understand in Canada, could be wrong here, ecigs sold locally cannot contain nicotine. When asked what is in them, was told simply that they are flavored. A six pack of cartridges i'm told, cost around $25.00 and is the equivalent of six packs of cigarettes. None of these people ever smoked organic cigarettes, even though they understood they were available. When asking local dispensers of tobacco (who sell organic) just how many people buy organic, they say very few - its really kind of strange.

My partner showed me a facebook page (friend) today who has gone clean for a year. The post contained a video of "black lungs" (not likely unless they worked in a coal mine) hanging from a hook in a lab with the statement, essentially, this is what smoking does to you. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, the general smoking hysteria is something to behold now, which in stark contrast to the past.

hlat said:
"Smoking no more causes cancer of the lung than being thrown into deep water causes drowning."

P.87
"The results indicated that for lung cancer to occur, tobacco alone is not enough: emotional repression must somehow potentiate the effects of smoke damage on the body."

As discussed in the transcripts:

C's said:
Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?
A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?
A: Correct.

Anyway, not many people I know now smoke. We have a number of non-smoking friends who come over and don't seem to mind at all. Three out of the four remaining family members smoke, and the forth really would like to start again.

This spring, had the opportunity to meet with one the locals on the reserve. They are of the Tobacco Plans Indians, yet they can't remember when they last grew around these parts. I brought some of last years crop (scanty as it was) over to him because he asked. He also asked for some seeds (Nicotiana rustica) and how he should grow. I made sure that he discuss this with his local medicine man to see if it was alright to reintroduce plants (multiple varieties), and he was all for people to start to grow again (not sure why the weren't). He started to grow this spring: seeds were fine, yet it was not a good crop and he needs more advice.

It is sad that the art of producing tobacco has withered, and I guess people know why.

There was good eBook I downloaded about two years ago and now I can't find it anywhere - neither on my computer, nor on the net. It was really good and covered all aspects, from growing to harvesting to curing.

If anyone has a copy I think that would be good to share. I'll renew my search, too!

Goemon_ said:
Natural flavor and artificial flavour both contain MSG : http://www.sott.net/article/137263-How-to-Find-Hidden-MSG-on-Food-Labels
Not all do. I doubt that flavoring in ecig juice has any msg. It's mostly used in savory food.

voyageur said:
My partner showed me a facebook page (friend) today who has gone clean for a year. The post contained a video of "black lungs" (not likely unless they worked in a coal mine) hanging from a hook in a lab with the statement, essentially, this is what smoking does to you. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, the general smoking hysteria is something to behold now, which in stark contrast to the past.
Just a comment on the black lung thing and i'm sure many are familiar with the refutations. It supports the idea that miners were most likely to get black lung (as per below), though this can be mitigated with smoking. This may be useful for anyone who wishes to counter the comments on social media. (i haven't seen this posted, but apologies if i'm repeating others)
http://www.sott.net/article/242547-Study-of-miners-exposed-to-diesel-finds-smokers-were-far-LESS-likely-to-develop-lung-cancer

For the most heavily exposed miners, the risk of dying from lung cancer was three times higher than it was for those exposed to low doses. For non-smokers, the risk was seven times higher. [

My step-grandad was a miner, and a smoker, and he got 'miners lung' (or whatever it was called) he stopped smoking after a fall at 75ish and died at 82. He had a regular cough at times - but he did smoke some harsh chemical cigs - but other than that, he died of old age and lonelniess.

I've also seen that meme making the rounds, and i found this article handy:

http://cfrankdavis.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/the-black-lung-lie/

The Black Lung Lie
Posted on August 6, 2012 by Frank Davis

A discussion of ‘smokers’ black lungs’ started in the comments today. It’s the widespread belief that smokers’ lungs turn black. Rose pointed out that it all started with James I about four centuries ago. She also dug up some refutations:

“Dr. Duane Carr – Professor of Surgery at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, said this: “Smoking does not discolor the lung.”

Dr. Victor Buhler, Pathologist at St. Joseph Hospital in Kansas City: “I have examined thousands of lungs both grossly and microscopically. I cannot tell you from exmining a lung whether or not its former host had smoked.”

Dr. Sheldon Sommers, Pathologist and Director of Laboratories at Lenox Hill Hospital, in New York: “…it is not possible grossly or microscopically, or in any other way known to me, to distinguish between the lung of a smoker or a nonsmoker. Blackening of lungs is from carbon particles, and smoking tobacco does not introduce carbon particles into the lung.”

And Brigitte even found a Youtube video:

There is even this (in German) in which a forensic medic states that these “tar” lungs do not exist.

Rich White’s Smoke Screens reports the same:

This was confirmed by Dr Jan Zeldenrust, a Dutch pathologist for the Government of Holland from 1951 – 1984. In a television interview in the 1980’s he stated that, translated from Dutch, “I could never see on a pair of lungs if they belonged to a smoker or non-smoker. I can see clearly the difference between sick and healthy lungs. The only black lungs I’ve seen are from peat-workers and coal miners, never from smokers”.

Also, for non-smokers who wish to try. From experience, i find that smoking after food, or at least not an empty stomach, is much more palatable and the effect is preferable than when you have an empty stomach. The rush from the nicotine is softened and easier to handle. At least i have found that once i haven't eaten for a while (often now i'm keto), and have had a few smokes, i can feel the smoke is having less of an effect and the feeling is like having a coffee on an empty stomach. I mention it because some have been trying to smoke in the mornings and i can imagine this is probably the more difficult time for a non smoker, so i'd suggest trying after eating, because the effect of the food (and perhaps the saliva in the throat) seems to make smoking easier/more pleasurable.

As for e-cigs, they've replaced smoking for so many people in England. I know old time smokers who have replaced their manufactured cigs for e-cgs (there are more e-cig shops than newsagents/corner shops!) and you can see people chugging on them as if they were infants with pacifiers. Which makes me think that actually, the experience is not as satisfying as regular smoking. It could just be that they now can smoke without the stigma (well, kinda) and so they do.

Also, i've moved from those plastic filters to no filter and i'm thinking now that a cigarette holder, which would cool the smoke more, is required. The bonus will be: no yellow fingers and it'll look cool ;)

voyageur said:
I've been noticing that a number of people I know (long term smokers) have recently switched to ecigs due to the great fear they have of smoking tobacco. Generally, this fear comes from their physicians primarily, family and peers (guilt). From what I understand in Canada, could be wrong here, ecigs sold locally cannot contain nicotine. When asked what is in them, was told simply that they are flavored. A six pack of cartridges i'm told, cost around $25.00 and is the equivalent of six packs of cigarettes. None of these people ever smoked organic cigarettes, even though they understood they were available. When asking local dispensers of tobacco (who sell organic) just how many people buy organic, they say very few - its really kind of strange.

hlat said:

P.87

As discussed in the transcripts:

C's said:
Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?
A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?
A: Correct.

Anyway, not many people I know now smoke. We have a number of non-smoking friends who come over and don't seem to mind at all. Three out of the four remaining family members smoke, and the forth really would like to start again.

This spring, had the opportunity to meet with one the locals on the reserve. They are of the Tobacco Plans Indians, yet they can't remember when they last grew around these parts. I brought some of last years crop (scanty as it was) over to him because he asked. He also asked for some seeds (Nicotiana rustica) and how he should grow. I made sure that he discuss this with his local medicine man to see if it was alright to reintroduce plants (multiple varieties), and he was all for people to start to grow again (not sure why the weren't). He started to grow this spring: seeds were fine, yet it was not a good crop and he needs more advice.

It is sad that the art of producing tobacco has withered, and I guess people know why.

voyageur,

I think the campaign against smokers has been working now just as it did for "The Nazis War on Cancer". I posted a short excerpt from this book previously but so far not much feedback. I know there is so much material here that things just change topic within a topic and some things naturally go un-noticed.

Anyway, I don't think the attack against smokers is "new". To see similar historical precedents you might want to read my previous post here:
_http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,84.msg454476.html#msg454476

goyacobol :cool2:

goyacobol said:
voyageur,

I think the campaign against smokers has been working now just as it did for "The Nazis War on Cancer". I posted a short excerpt from this book previously but so far not much feedback. I know there is so much material here that things just change topic within a topic and some things naturally go un-noticed.

Anyway, I don't think the attack against smokers is "new". To see similar historical precedents you might want to read my previous post here:

Indeed, nothing new, just a 180 degree exponential shift from when younger and when tobacco was part of life for the greater part of the population before it was demonized by the usual suspects. Same goes for the vilification of fats, as part and parcel of the cholesterol myth, and on and on it goes...

Thanks, too, for the book excerpt.

voyageur said:
goyacobol said:
voyageur,

Indeed, nothing new, just a 180 degree exponential shift from when younger and when tobacco was part of life for the greater part of the population before it was demonized by the usual suspects. Same goes for the vilification of fats, as part and parcel of the cholesterol myth, and on and on it goes...

voyager,

I'm glad you mentioned fats and the cholesterol myth too. I have been frustrated with all the lies that seem to come from every angle these days. Thank you for checking out the excerpt I was hoping it would be revealing since the C's say the Nazis tactics were just a "practice run".

goyacobol :cry: :cool2:

goyacobol said:
voyageur said:
goyacobol said:
voyageur,

voyager,

I'm glad you mentioned fats and the cholesterol myth too. I have been frustrated with all the lies that seem to come from every angle these days. Thank you for checking out the excerpt I was hoping it would be revealing since the C's say the Nazis tactics were just a "practice run".

goyacobol :cry: :cool2:

I actually saw an article in the Journal de Montreal two days ago that stated that a group of scientists at a university in the U.S. recently completed studies that revealed that, after comparing a group of fat eaters to a group of non-fat eaters, it was the group of fat eaters that clearly displayed the better overall health. I was surprised and pleased to see it.

But, in line with what you are saying, the article was maybe 5 or 6 sentences long, and it was buried on page 20. And, the Journal de Montreal is the equivalent to the Toronto Sun - one of those papers that will have an action shot of the previous night's hockey game on the front page, the same day as a major event somewhere in the world, like 9-11. So, generally, the people that "read" it are not necessarily reading it, if you know what I mean.

Just saw that wholeleaftobacco.com now has certified Organic Burley in stock. Here is the description:

This is a Certified Organic Air Cured Burley grown in Wisconsin. Northern grown Burley is a thinner leaf than Southern grown. The northern climate is also more temperate so the leaf isn't as strong as Southern grown, yet it maintains an excellent Burley flavor. A milder Burley means less impact and reduces or eliminates the need to toast or further process the tobacco to make it palatable.

Having grown Burley in a northern climate, I can attest that it comes out milder without the need to toast or anything.

In the "what will they think of next" department, I was buying cigarette tubes online and browsed around the site a bit and found there is a brand of ecigs, NutriCig, that has other supplements in them in addition to nicotine. They have one called Sleep, for example, that has Tryptophan, Melatonin, Tyrosine, and GABA in it. One called Energy has Vitamins B2, B3, B6, and B12, as well as Caffeine, Tourine and Glucuronolactone. Kinda weird and intriguing at the same time.

Mr. Premise said:
In the "what will they think of next" department, I was buying cigarette tubes online and browsed around the site a bit and found there is a brand of ecigs, NutriCig, that has other supplements in them in addition to nicotine. They have one called Sleep, for example, that has Tryptophan, Melatonin, Tyrosine, and GABA in it. One called Energy has Vitamins B2, B3, B6, and B12, as well as Caffeine, Tourine and Glucuronolactone. Kinda weird and intriguing at the same time.
Yes, looks like interesting idea! But there are steam instead of smoke.
Moreover, nicotine and such nutritions like GABA, melatonin, etc. sound too well to be the truth :D

Also, C's once says that the best way to transfer nicotine to the brain is smoking via lungs..In NutriCig's idea we have a vapourization. Also, e-cigs already show what they can do (i mean lethal cases).
Though may be declared component has best effect when took them via vapour via lungs?

s-kur
Also, C's once says that the best way to transfer nicotine to the brain is smoking via lungs..In NutriCig's idea we have a vapourization. Also, e-cigs already show what they can do (i mean lethal cases).
Though may be declared component has best effect when took them via vapour via lungs?

I am in the process researching "vaping" (ingesting nicotine via small vaporizers) right now. For those of us whose lungs become inflamed from contact with airborne particulates in dust, pollen, and smoke from any source, this may be a way to experience the benefits of nicotine without the inflammatory response from smoke.

Vaping transfers nicotine to the brain via the lungs, but with waterborne particles instead of smoke. I would be interested in hearing what the Cs have to say about this method of ingesting nicotine.

shellycheval

shellycheval said:
s-kur

I am in the process researching "vaping" (ingesting nicotine via small vaporizers) right now. For those of us whose lungs become inflamed from contact with airborne particulates in dust, pollen, and smoke from any source, this may be a way to experience the benefits of nicotine without the inflammatory response from smoke.

Vaping transfers nicotine to the brain via the lungs, but with waterborne particles instead of smoke. I would be interested in hearing what the Cs have to say about this method of ingesting nicotine.

shellycheval

I remember in the childhood we used grassy inhalers when were chilled. Thus, it makes a sense, and i think there was not only effect of hot vapour and warmings up of mucous membranes...but lung's contact with vapour which provides healing elements in the blood.

I'm aware that hemp smoking is more effectively via vaporizers...I didn't try it) Anyway, tobacco, grasses and hemp are different plants...

So...good luck in your researches shellycheval :D

shellycheval said:
s-kur

shellycheval

I have also been looking into the subject. The e-juices sold around here have propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin and natural/artificial flavours listed for the ingredients.

It was suggested in this thread that natural/artificial flavours = MSG, so I have been looking into that, specifically. I found this site that compares the e-juice ingredients to what is in real cigarettes. It might be helpful to your research.

_http://www.ozecigarette.com/e-cigarette-v-cigarette-ingredients/

I was also thinking that asking the C's about it might be a good idea since there is not a lot of conclusive experimental evidence out there yet.

Back
Top Bottom