Smoking is... good?

Thought i would throw in some more anti smoking propaganda we can look forward to.

-- http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/smoking-destroys-y-chromosomes

I am curious though if there might be any truth to this and whether this may be a benefit. Not sure though as aging seems to dothis as well.

I have a set of videos on the Thyroid, and in one of them a pharmacist(Dr. Izabella Wentz) makes the following statement

"D r . I z a b e l l a : Anatabloc. So this is actually a tobacco-derived alkaloid that’s been found to reduce
thyroid antibodies.
So one of the things that’s really, really strange is smoking—as terrible as it is for
everything—it’s actually been shown to be protective of autoimmune thyroid disease, actually
specifically Hashimoto’s So often times we’ll find that people who will try to be healthier and just
try to be more health conscious will quit smoking. And their Hashimoto’s will actually worsen, or
they’ll have a new onset of Hashimoto’s.
Now, this is because there’s a compound in the tobacco that actually detoxifies some gram-negative
bacteria and reduces our reaction to them. And it reduces the inflammation in the body.
So the
company has isolated this compound. And it’s called Anatabine. And they’ve basically put it in a
supplement. So you can take that. It’s taken three times a day. And it’s been also helpful with
reducing thyroid antibodies and thyroid globulin antibodies. And a lot of people have been able to
really be helped by that. So I would recommend that for people who maybe, after they quit
smoking, thought that their thyroid condition got significantly much worse."

so, one more tick mark for smoking!
she also has a website:
http://www.thyroidpharmacist.com

davey72 said:
Thought i would throw in some more anti smoking propaganda we can look forward to.

-- http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/smoking-destroys-y-chromosomes

I am curious though if there might be any truth to this and whether this may be a benefit. Not sure though as aging seems to dothis as well.

From the article:

The authors admit they do not know whether the disappearance of Y chromosomes is a cancer risk in itself, or simply an incidental factor for other genetic damage.

So at 'best' the disappearance of Y chromosomes is only a risk factor for cancer, and there's at least two (and likely more) known 'actions' that are associated with but do not necessarily lead to or cause these disappearances which may or may not be a health risk indicator? Assuming smoking does lead to the disappearance of Y chromosomes in males necessarily and that this is a direct cause of cancer, then why don't all male smokers have smoking-related cancers? Why wasn't cancer a bigger health concern among men in the past for whom smoking was a more common habit?

This quote from the article makes me question the motives of these "scientists":

The authors have founded a startup to provide a blood test for Y chromosome loss to offer a warning of cancer risk for older men.

I have an on again off again relationship to tobacco. One of my farmer friends actually grows a few plants and when I can get a hold of it I'll either chew the leaf or roll it up. In either case I find the quality to be much higher and also notice the potency of the plant will yield a reaction which, in the case of smoking it, I would relate to a much clearer kind of 'stoning' than say marijuana. But, there's no purveyors of so called additive free tobacco in town, and so my go to are Santa Fe cigarillos. On the advice of a local independant tobacco seller, I gave these a try. We had a conversation regarding tobacco purity and quality. Both of us related being less inclined to smoking cigarettes as neither of us had found a brand which had a taste we enjoyed. Has anyone here given the Santa Fe's a try?

Also, as a question regarding your promotion of smoking as healthy, if done properly, I'm wondering how you all regard it effecting your wind? My job requires a certain amount of cardio health, and I certainly notice that the damage caused by the inhalents effects my wind during my on again relationship. I'm just wondering if any of you notice anything similar, or if perhaps it is a result of the type of tobacco product I use?

My relation to tobacco is somewhat like yours. I do not smoke and I do not need it, but sometimes the body simple asks for some good smoke. I like only Cohibas cigarillos and I do not have any side effects like you say. But after I have a smoke I am kinda not so into exercising. I don't know why but it feels natural to sit down afterwards and do some mind work. Do something useful which requires concentration and so on. But after the effect degrades I didn't notice any decline in my physical peformance.

But as I said I only smoke here and there and I try to listen to what the body needs. If I put pressure on and try to smoke like 5 cigarillos a day then I feel exhausted and it is not good. So I think that everyone should find some optimal limit that is good for him/her.

Dylan said:
SNIP

Also, as a question regarding your promotion of smoking as healthy, if done properly, I'm wondering how you all regard it effecting your wind? My job requires a certain amount of cardio health, and I certainly notice that the damage caused by the inhalents effects my wind during my on again relationship. I'm just wondering if any of you notice anything similar, or if perhaps it is a result of the type of tobacco product I use?

I have problems smoking name brands, but tobacco general and rollyourown DOT com both have good natural tobaccos that don't have that effect on me. One of the jobsites I worked on - was when I was starting to smoke, and noticed it actually helped my endurance up many flights of stairs to check sub basement equipment. Later on I found that tobacco helps the red blood cells.

Still to this day if I run out and bum a name brand smoke from a co worker, I can feel it in my throat/chest.

So I would say try to get some natural "pipe tobacco" from one of those sites or a local store and roll your own (or use a cigarette tube injector).

Yeah, additive-free whole leaf tobacco doesn't do anything negative to lung capacity. There's a mention somewhere here or on SOTT of the many world class professional athletes that smoke, so there's more evidence than just our personal anecdotal experience. But, like divide by zero said, my brother and I noticed that we can climb flights of stairs to five stories helping someone carry heavy sculptures and don't get out of breath, where much younger non-smokers were huffing and puffing, just as one example.

samy said:
Just saw this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRL7o2kPqw0

There is supposed to be an important difference between big-brand processed tobacco and organic tobacco, owing to the fact that the former has a large number of additives and is normally grown in calcium phosphate based fertilizer. However, I'm trying to find more information about American Spirit, which is the kind of organic tobacco I smoke, and am having a hard time coming up with much straightforward information on it. I did a heavy metal provocation test recently, and the results showed that I've got very high amounts of lead and a respectable amount of mercury in my system. I haven't been exposed to any of the typical sources of lead as far as I know, so I'm trying to figure out how it got into my body, and am trying to look into all possible sources.

One thing that I've learned is that polonium and lead co-occur in tobacco grown in calcium phosphate based fertilizer. A search on this brought up the following two videos from organicslant.com:

https://youtu.be/8B4nSxQuM_I

https://youtu.be/Jdyk--XiuIs

There's nothing here about lead, and he's having to infer the presence of polonium from the radiation levels he's measuring. If there is polonium in the tobacco though, it could mean that American Spirit hasn't been forthcoming about the kind of fertilizer they use, which could also mean that there's lead in there too. This is merely speculative at this point, and I hope there's nothing to worry about, but if anyone can find more information one way or the other, it would be good to know more.

samy said:
Just saw this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRL7o2kPqw0

very disturbing for smokers :shock:

samy,

Yes, this should be alarming enough for smokers to switch to non-chemically fertilized tobacco which may be 90% responsible for the radiation absorbed in tobacco.

See this article: _http://www.acsa2000.net/HealthAlert/radioactive_tobacco.htm

I have been smoking organic tobacco but recently bought some other types of leaf tobacco to blend but I will stay with organic only from now on. :cool2:

The anti-smoking propaganda is ramping up for 2015.... and it's not even 2015 yet!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30591236

Smoking rot highlighted in campaign

By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

Smoking "rots" the body from within, warns this year's quit smoking campaign from Public Health England (PHE).

The graphic online and print billboard adverts feature a roll-up cigarette full of decaying tissue.

While many smokers know the damage tobacco does to their hearts and lungs, they are much less likely to be aware of how harmful it can be to other parts of the body, says PHE.

Cigarettes can damage the bones, muscles, brain, teeth and eyes.

Current smokers are at double the risk of Alzheimer's disease, for example.

Chief Medical Officer Dame Sally Davies says the adverts have been designed to shock and educate.

"I think people know about the big killers - cancer, heart disease and stroke - but I don't think they realise about osteoporosis and I didn't know about fertility.

"And the doubling the likelihood of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's, I think is quite scary."

Stop the rot

The campaign also tackles common misconceptions around hand-rolled tobacco, or roll-ups. Many smokers mistakenly believe that they are safer than conventional cigarettes, says PHE.

But evidence suggests hand-rolled cigarettes are at least as hazardous as any other type of cigarette.

Yet their popularity is growing.

In 1990, 18% of male smokers and 2% of female smokers said they smoked mainly hand-rolled cigarettes. By 2013 this had risen to 40% for men and 23% for women.

Prof Kevin Fenton, National Director for Health and Wellbeing for PHE, said: "Much of the harm caused by smoking doesn't become obvious until middle age but the invisible damage can start shockingly early - even by the late teens.

"The earlier a smoker quits the better, but quitting at any age can help reverse at least some of the damage. That's why there is no time better than now to quit. Stop smoking and stop the rot."

Or... "The earlier a smoker quits non-organic & additive-laden tobacco the better, but quitting at any age can help reverse at least some of the damage. That's why there is no time better than now to quit. Stop smoking the heavily chemically treated poisons, & stop the rot!"

Not sure if we should be thankful that talk of organic &/or additives is regularly omitted. Also, the link doesn't show the actual advert, which is prominently being reported on the 24hr news stations. It's the usual icky, gooey "this is your insides, & think of the children" BS. I actually laughed out loud.

Ascien said:
The anti-smoking propaganda is ramping up for 2015.... and it's not even 2015 yet!

Smoking rot highlighted in campaign

By Michelle Roberts
Health editor, BBC News online

The campaign also tackles common misconceptions around hand-rolled tobacco, or roll-ups. Many smokers mistakenly believe that they are safer than conventional cigarettes, says PHE.

But evidence suggests hand-rolled cigarettes are at least as hazardous as any other type of cigarette.

Yet their popularity is growing.

In 1990, 18% of male smokers and 2% of female smokers said they smoked mainly hand-rolled cigarettes. By 2013 this had risen to 40% for men and 23% for women.

Or... "The earlier a smoker quits non-organic & additive-laden tobacco the better, but quitting at any age can help reverse at least some of the damage. That's why there is no time better than now to quit. Stop smoking the heavily chemically treated poisons, & stop the rot!"

Not sure if we should be thankful that talk of organic &/or additives is regularly omitted. Also, the link doesn't show the actual advert, which is prominently being reported on the 24hr news stations. It's the usual icky, gooey "this is your insides, & think of the children" BS. I actually laughed out loud.

Or maybe their taxes are backfiring for the resilient minority!! At 8GBP a pack of 20 which can last you 2 days at most (me anyway) or a pack of rolling tobacco, at let's say the same price, which can last 5-7 days. I know most people initially resorted to the cheapest cigarettes - and then gave up on because they're pretty much the stems (the detritus picked up off the factory floor?). There was of course the hipster revival of roll your own, but again this was trend and cost driven for most.

As for the 'research' being presented :lkj: :lol2: and whichever marketeer thought up 'stop the rot', well, i'm sure they're being praised for their brutal genius.... :rolleyes:

I was reading an article yesterday _http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2009/12/hadza/finkel-text

The Hadza

They grow no food, raise no livestock, and live without rules or calendars. They are living a hunter-gatherer existence that is little changed from 10,000 years ago. What do
they know that we've forgotten?

Onwas, with the baboon's head, is comfortably above the fray. He sits cross-legged at his fire and eats the cheeks, the eyeballs, the neck meat, and the forehead skin, using the soles of his sandals as a cutting board. He gnaws the skull clean to the bone, then plunges it into the fire and calls me and the hunters over for a smoke.

It is impossible to overstate just how much Onwas—and most Hadza—love to smoke. The four possessions every Hadza man owns are a bow, some arrows, a knife, and a pipe, made from a hollowed-out, soft stone.
The smoking material, tobacco or [...], is acquired from a neighboring group, usually the Datoga, in exchange for honey. Onwas has a small amount of tobacco, which is tied into a ball inside his shirttail. He retrieves it, stuffs it all into his pipe, and then, holding the pipe vertically, plucks an ember from the fire and places it atop his pipe. Pulsing his cheeks in and out like a bellows, he inhales the greatest quantity of smoke he possibly can. He passes the pipe to Giga.

Then the fun begins. Onwas starts to cough, slowly at first, then rapidly, then uncontrollably with tears bursting from his eyes, then with palms pushing against his head, and then, finally, rolling onto his back, spitting and gasping for air. In the meantime, Giga has begun a similar hacking session and has passed the pipe to Maduru, who then passes the pipe to me. Soon, all of us, the whole circle of men, are hacking and crying and rolling on our backs. The smoke session ends when the last man sits up, grinning, and brushes the dirt from his hair.

No word on when tobacco arrived because it seems it's not grown locally (?), and i understand it's an American plant, but they seem to really treasure tobacco and it's properties. Also: "Pure fat, rather than meat, is what the Hadza crave" :D

A friend gave me an electronic cigarette for Christmas, and I really like it. (This is the same friend that gave me my Kindle, :) ) I love my new cigarette. Usually I smoke Pueblo with pleasure. So my question is: is this as good to smoke with an electronic cigarette as with regular tobacco? Or should I alternate? I love to smoke with my electronic cigarette when in my bed, reading. Or when I knit. It is practical, like to read with a Kindle. But for the health, I really don't know. :huh:

loreta said:
A friend gave me an electronic cigarette for Christmas, and I really like it. (This is the same friend that gave me my Kindle, :) ) I love my new cigarette. Usually I smoke Pueblo with pleasure. So my question is: is this as good to smoke with an electronic cigarette as with regular tobacco? Or should I alternate? I love to smoke with my electronic cigarette when in my bed, reading. Or when I knit. It is practical, like to read with a Kindle. But for the health, I really don't know. :huh:

Hi Loreta,

FWIW! Below is what I wrote earlier in this thread:
Hi>

Here is what I wrote in another thread about e-cigs: Re: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26825.msg450203.html#msg450203

Re: "Electric cigarette explodes in Florida man’s mouth"
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:12 AM »

So, here is my 2 week electronic cigarette experiment.

I started with a small cigarette looking one, I liked it but noticed it made my throat hurt some, which I thought was due to the PG, one of the days of smoking clove flavored(high nicotine strength) my front teeth felt numb. I thought it was probably the clove causing the numb feeling (had a dream that night all my teeth were falling out :scared:).

The next week got a bigger battery e-cig, and tried the Vigin Vapor organic flavors with VG to see if it was easier on my throat then the PG. It was, and I REALLY liked it. I really went bananas over the Coffee Monkey(coffee banana - medium nicotine strength) :dance:. I did that pretty heavily over two days, and again I was having some numbness in my front teeth and in my sinuses. Also, had a morning were I woke up with a bad sinus headache. Thought that it was the nicotine causing the numbness, and vaping way to much, so I backed off. Even vaping very infrequently I had numbness.

I ordered 0 nicotine to cut down the medium strength, thinking it was too high of nicotine for me. I usually only smoke about 6 cigarettes a day on average, so I thought I was over dosing a bit. Today, I received and tried the 0 nicotine by itself, and I am very disappointed to report that it is definitely PG and VG that cause the numbness. Trying to do a little research on it doesn't bring up much, but I did find a little about vegetable glycerin.

_http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6949143_vegetable-glycerin-dangers.html

_http://www.ucanquit2.org/facts/ECigarettesVapor.aspx

"But now doctors have raised concerns about e-cigarette vapor separate from those about nicotine. A 42-year-old woman who had used e-cigarettes for seven months experienced shortness of breath, cough, and fever over the same period. The diagnosis was lipoid pneumonia—a chronic inflammation caused by fatty substances (lipids) in the lungs—due to e-cigarette use. The specific cause was repeated exposure to glycerin-based oils found in e-cigarette nicotine vapor. The patient’s symptoms improved after she stopped using e-cigarettes.1"

Glycerin Allergy Syptoms:

Upon exposure or use, glycerin allergy skin symptoms include dermatitis which can cause itching, burning and redness of skin, dizziness, nausea, and swelling

Glycerin enema allergy will show anal irritation, rectal blooding, diarrhea, stomach cramps

Glycerin spray allergy will show numbness of cheeks, tongue, or mouth

Patient with glycerin suppositories allergy suffer with anal irritation, burning sensation, diarrhea, gas, nausea, and stomach cramps.

Severe allergy symptoms are rashes, hives, breathing difficulty, tightness of the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, and rectal bleeding.

I am definitely sensitive to the glycerine, and I am really disappointed, because I really liked it :(. It really is one of those "if it sounds too good too be true, it probably is".

Even though it has been roughly a year since I completely ceased any vaping I am still dealing with some off and on weirdness in my teeth, sinuses that can cause a bit of a headache. It isn't everyday, or all the time, and I can't figure out what causes it to flare up. It all goes back to the very beginning of vaping, and I personally wish I never tried it.

fwiw

It has now been over a year since my e-cigarrette experiment and still having issues. I plan on going to a kinesiologist at the end of January to try and figure out what I can do to get rid of it.

Also, I tried searching for similar complaints, and found some on e-cig forums of numbness, pain in teeth, numbness in face, tongue, and it was all passed off as symptoms of detoxing from quitting smoking regular cigarettes (BS). No one was connecting it to the e-cigs.

mod: quote box fixed :)

Ascien said:

Wow, they've gone overboard, and outdone themselves with this BS. The obvious giveaway is the claim about Alzheimer's. It's been known for years that smoking prevents Alzheimer's, as well as treating it when on already has it (Parkinson's too, by the way). There's LOTS of info about that in the medical literature. Now they're engaging in some revisionism to scare people, as usual it seems. For us hardcore smokers that have been smoking for many decades, and are very healthy, this kind of crap ain't gonna fly. As we know, every other health hazard from insanely bad diets to criminal pollution of the environment and personal products, they try to blame on smoking and smokers.

Back
Top Bottom