Candida- The Silent Epidemic

Laura said:
I guess that what we are seeing is that there is no "one size fits all" case of candidiasis nor solution to same.

I would really like to get clear on the beans/legumes issue since some "experts" say you CAN eat them and others say don't touch them while taking the cure.

Dried beans are a major part of my diet - lentils, black-eyed peas, red beans, etc - and I have no idea what to replace them with.

Hola Laura.Do you fermented your dried beans? I fermented brown rice,quinoa,buckwheat,potatoes,tomatoes,etc.Then you can store them in the fridge.Then you can used then with meat or wherever you want. The fermented food helps a lot to repair the good flora,which is going to help to balance the excess of candida in the gut.
In the following link you will find how to make fermented potatoes.Sara has a very educated videos than help me a lot. ;)

https://youtu.be/H0SjRvTBgO4

Hey everyone,

After Keyhole recommended I get some comprehensive testing done in the Coffee and Probiotic Enema's thread, I went to a Naturopath who works with the Canadian branch of Geneva Diagnostics and got a comprehensive stool analysis along with additional blood work. I was actually really surprised to find out I had a seriously bad case of Candida/Yeast infection and overgrowth, as well as some gut bacteria issues. I couldn't believe it, considering I've been in ketosis for at least 90% of the last several years, but after reading some of the information gathered here, can see that ketones and high sugar feeds Candida.

I'd recommend, if you can afford it, to get these tests done and not play guesswork with your health. Essentially, everything that I thought was wrong with me and why I had inflammatory and mood swings turned out not to be the case, or at least I wasn't looking in the right areas or taking the kinds of supplements that I needed to be taking. I didn't test positive for auto-immunity, at least not on the tests I took, and my thyroids are functioning properly. But I showed some major deficiencies in very specific gut bacteria, lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium both showed NG (No Growth) as well as the yeast infection, and low Vitamin D levels - which is unusual because it's summer and I get plenty of sunshine.

Based on the tests I took, the results actually showed which specific supplements would best suit me killing off the Candida, specifically Caprylic Acid and Grapefruit Seed Extract are shown to be very effective in my case. I'm not exactly sure why those two but am planning an sending an email to the Naturopath to find out more about that. Based on my diet, which is essentially ketogenic, I was encouraged to eat a lot more vegetables, so have upped my veggie and fiber intake as well as fermented foods to help repopulate the good bacteria. My fat intake is essentially the same, maybe a little bit less but I need lots of fat otherwise I get hungry again quicker. I also started taking a probiotic to help repopulate the ones that I'm missing.

But as far as the Candida is concerned, I made a few mistakes early on that I learned from. For one, I became obsessed pretty quickly with trying to kill them off, and even though the Naturopath said to take it easy with the anti-yeast supplements at the beginning, I started taking the full doses right off the bat. That wasn't a good idea because on the first day I started suffering from a crippling depression and negative obsessive thought loops along with being spaced out often and not able to concentrate. I persisted with it because I wanted the Candida out and done with as soon as possible, but decided to take a step back and reexamine whether I'm learning anything by being so single-minded and narrow about it. So even though a part of me didn't want to, backed off on the dosages, continued with the probiotics and added in some lactoferrin to help break up any microbiome in my system.

There was a video about it posted earlier in the thread http://thekeybiotics.com/video_toon.html which brought up the 80/20 rule. You can't fully rid yourself of the Candida, it plays some role in our gut functions, but that it needs to be the minority, the 20%, while the good bacteria make up the other 80% majority. So I think for anyone who is trying to kill off the Candida, try to remember that Nature doesn't exist in a vacuum and neither do our stomachs. So if you're all about 'kill, kill, kill!', realize that vacuum needs to be replaced with something more real. In a sense it's like doing the Work. As we rid ourselves of unwanted programs or habits (Candida), we need to replace it with something Real (Good bacteria) which might also mean practicing external consideration and working towards helping others, being able to widen our perspectives and see the bigger picture about ourselves and our focus and aims. This has helped me a lot in dealing with these die-off symptoms that I've been experiencing in realizing it's only one part of the puzzle and not to obsess about it so much.

Right now, I'm up to and past my full dosages, but I slowly worked my way up to that, and notice if I'm pushing too hard in this respect, I have a lot of trouble concentrating and can get ADD-like symptoms. Although I've noticed if I'm taking too much iodine or chain-smoking, that can sometimes add to the problem so I need to back off on one or the other. So there could be some other interaction going on there. But I think balance is pretty important here and we all have to find what works for each of us, individually, and not see things all in black and white. And if we push too hard we might end up doing more harm than good, so slow and steady wins the race.

Turgon, Im really happy to hear that you went for those tests :). It can be enlightening to get a proper snapshot of whats going on 'down there', because now you know what your issues are, you can properly target them. It really is worth the investment, because so many people try countless protocols based on guess-work and assumptions, yet see no long term results.

You are right that taking the "kill,kill,kill" approach is not useful unless other precautions are taken to maintain a more stable environment. I actually tend to see yeast overgroeth as some sort of adaptive process whereby the body is responding to some other factor, and allowing candida to thrive is protective in some way.

It also seems to be a symptom of a more systemic issue, namely a damaged metabolism. Did you get any results for your Secretory IGA levels? There are those who would propose that overgrowth is facilitated by: Low SIgA levels, slow transit time, and slow rates of absorption of sugars- which allows bacterial/yeast fermentative processes to occur. These three factors can be linked back to thyroid function, or thyroid hormone availability/adequate activity. These explanations seem to make more sense overall.

On the topic of ketosis and candida, it can also be said that starving the candida of fuel only makes the organism embed deeper within the intestinal lining in search of food. I believe there is some research to support this notion, which makes the whole thing more complicated.

So aside from working to eradicate the candida (which I hope works for you!), it might be worth considering the possibility that this is more of a symptom of a systemic bioenergetic deficit.

Thanks Laura's for this post. I had an operation which saved my life, but I paid price getting Candida ( to stop infection due to internal bleeding, doctors gave me a massive dose of antibiotics). When I finally was able to walk again, I went to see a local doctor. I told him that I feel very lethargic, have foggy memory, and no energy. He checked my blood pressure, temperature and I was told I'm fine.

Thanks Turgon for sharing your experience.I was dealing with the candida many years and still i am dealing with that,but i am much better.I have added to my diet fermented food as kombucha,kimchi and recently raw organic microbes(www.probioform.no).Have in mind i do not eat carbs and fruits and some time ago in my year test gynecological the result was candida infection again.As you my diet is 90% fat.Also veggies,fermented grains and i was surprise for the results,but then i realized due the increase of drinking kombucha in my diet could be a possibility is the result of detox the liquid is doing in my body.Anyway i hope you are much better.Thanks one more time. :flowers:

Hello munaychasumaq,

I understand that all the fermented food is beneficial to the health, maybe Kombucha is good. but other fermented food from store, you have to be careful. Because I know kimch from store is poisonous, it has never been fermented, they put so many additives to prevent fermentation so, there is no bad smell in the store or rotten. Thus, kimch stayed fresh all the time maybe few years.
Always make your own in home safe.

Kay Kim said:
Hello munaychasumaq,

I understand that all the fermented food is beneficial to the health, maybe Kombucha is good. but other fermented food from store, you have to be careful. Because I know kimch from store is poisonous, it has never been fermented, they put so many additives to prevent fermentation so, there is no bad smell in the store or rotten. Thus, kimch stayed fresh all the time maybe few years.
Always make your own in home safe.

Hi Kay Kim.Thank you for your concern.All the fermented food i consumed is done for myself.Kimchi is a whole process i learn to make it.I was researching a lot before to run into it.When i read the book of David Perlmutter was the first step.I really enjoy making this staff :P

For a long time I was trying to destroy Candida on my tongue (oral thrush) but without much success. Well, it looks like I accidentally found the solution! My tongue is now completely free of that white layer. Hopefully it won't come back.

What I used is this: http://www.himalayadirect.com/products/dental-cream.aspx

I don't know which ingredient is responsible for this, is it neem or something else, but it works. My mother bought it and didn't like the taste so she gave it to me. I don't like the taste either, but the important thing is that it solved my problem. My tongue was quite painful the first couple of days, and when I looked in the mirror I saw that the white layer was disappearing from the middle. A couple of days later it was gone, together with the pain.

This one unfortunately has fluorine in it (although 3 time less than in regular toothpaste) so after I finish it I will try to use some other from the same producer.

Hello Persej,

Good thing you got cured from that nasty things. I think most doctors don't even know how to cure that thing.
Because when my son was about 7 years old, I took him to see doctor for same problem like yours but he said that 'it will go away it's own, so don't worry.'
So I waited some months and everyday tried to brush off by using spoon but it came back in few minutes later and the smell was really bad.

Some months later, I come up one idea that might work. Then I went to see my children's doctor and asked him to give me liquid penicillin prescription, because my daughter have sore throat(it was true).

And I gave my son, one spoonful then told him to hold in his mouth as long as he can hold, and then swallow it.
So, he did and his tongue turned black, I gave him that liquid according to instructions that how much he can take each day.
By the time he used up all the penicillin, his tongue color became normal.
And until this day he is free of that nasty fungal infection.

Kay Kim said:
Good thing you got cured from that nasty things. I think most doctors don't even know how to cure that thing.
Because when my son was about 7 years old, I took him to see doctor for same problem like yours but he said that 'it will go away it's own, so don't worry.'

Yes, they have no idea how to treat it. They also told me to just use some baking soda and it will go away. Well, it didn't, baking soda had no effect on it. And many other things which are claimed to work also didn't. I thought about buying gentian violet which some people say is good against oral thrush, but this thing is very effective and has no problems with the painting of the mouth.

I was taking some penicillin a couple of days ago, but it wasn't in liquid form. But I didn't notice any difference until I started using this toothpaste. I wish I knew what is it inside of it that is so powerful. And it's even better than penicillin because you don't need prescription for it and has no side effects. But I'm glad that it worked for your son, you were smart to try that.

Persej said:
For a long time I was trying to destroy Candida on my tongue (oral thrush) but without much success. Well, it looks like I accidentally found the solution! My tongue is now completely free of that white layer. Hopefully it won't come back.

I don't know which ingredient is responsible for this, is it neem or something else, but it works. My mother bought it and didn't like the taste so she gave it to me. I don't like the taste either, but the important thing is that it solved my problem. My tongue was quite painful the first couple of days, and when I looked in the mirror I saw that the white layer was disappearing from the middle. A couple of days later it was gone, together with the pain.

This one unfortunately has fluorine in it (although 3 time less than in regular toothpaste) so after I finish it I will try to use some other from the same producer.

I know Neem is good for fighting fungus, as Foxx told me once.
I bought Neem oil from amazon, called Naked Neem which comes in many sizes. It is a great price, cheaper than getting the extract and other oils and says food grade on the bottle.

Recently I went though a bad cold involving a bad cough and just yesterday a tooth that would rarely get abscesses (last time was a few years ago and it healed itself) happened again, with the sore dull pain. I did rinses with salt water, neem, and sometimes dmso and today the gum swelling went down and pain is gone!

The taste is strong and my girlfriend doesn't like it but I don't mind it. It's also good for oil pulling and I take a few drops in water every other day or so to fight any possible issues in my body. No side effects come of it.

BTW, it's funny that your product says fluorine is good to prevent caries. They were so close with that product to being truly holistic and then a "natural source of fluoride"? Oh brother!!!

I asked my very good dentist a question to gauge the state of fluoride today. I said, why do they put fluoride in the water when we get it from toothpaste? He said that it works better in the water to get in the bones. I couldn't believe it, like his long education overwrote his common sense! I chose to hold my tongue and not debate him about it after that. I tell him I use normal fluoride toothpaste because if I told him the alternative he might start finding issues that aren't there.

Divide By Zero said:
It's also good for oil pulling and I take a few drops in water every other day or so to fight any possible issues in my body. No side effects come of it.

I'll try to buy some neem capsules to see if there can be any other benefits from it. Supposedly it is very good for skin problems, which I also have.

BTW, it's funny that your product says fluorine is good to prevent caries. They were so close with that product to being truly holistic and then a "natural source of fluoride"? Oh brother!!!

Yeah, I don't know why they put it inside because their other toothpastes don't have it. Perhaps because many people still believe that fluoride is good for your teeth? Perhaps they want that and avoid those that don't have it?

In any case, I'll use this one till the end to make sure that my candida isn't coming back and then I'll switch to some other.

Persej said:

Persej, have you considered that the your oral thrush may simply be a sign of the overall state of the gastrointestinal system?

I hope that this treatment works for you. But my thoughts are: Since the mouth is actually just the entrance to the GI tract, it is possible that simply treating the mouth will not treat a deeper-routed issue. Hopefully it does, but if not,,, then one place to look may be the overall state of the immune system.

Can you get your Secretory IgA tested in the stool? That would be the first place I would investigate.

Persej said:
Divide By Zero said:
It's also good for oil pulling and I take a few drops in water every other day or so to fight any possible issues in my body. No side effects come of it.

I'll try to buy some neem capsules to see if there can be any other benefits from it. Supposedly it is very good for skin problems, which I also have.

Yeah, I don't know why they put it inside because their other toothpastes don't have it. Perhaps because many people still believe that fluoride is good for your teeth? Perhaps they want that and avoid those that don't have it?

In any case, I'll use this one till the end to make sure that my candida isn't coming back and then I'll switch to some other.

Hi Persej, I can definitely confirm than neem is very good for candida issues as it helped me before. As for oral thrush, I've never had it diagnosed but I struggled with symptoms that matched. The only exception was that it was never painful.
Between 2011 and 2013, I was on antibiotics for a simple bacterial infection that was mismanaged to the point that it kept recurring a day after I stopped taking antibiotics so I took them for around 18 months - daily. This left me with pretty bad set of symptoms that matched candida issues (and led to a massive distrust towards mainstream medicine as such). As candida isn't really considered a 'thing' by many mainstream doctors I was forced to search for solutions on my own and the oral problems were relatively easy to solve once I found a method that helped.

First off, I use natural toothpaste, without fluoride. Then I scrub my tongue with a scrubber. This one is my favourite one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Tongue-Cleaner-Colours/dp/B00064JGBO/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503952167&sr=8-3&keywords=tongue+scrubber

Then I rinse my mouth with simple hydrogen peroxide. I dilute it a bit as even 3% is quite strong. I keep it in my mouth for around 2 minutes, gargle and that's it. The added benefit is that it is also a natural teeth whitener! Ever since I started doing that (which has now been around 4 years) I never needed a dentist. No plaque, no tartar, nothing.

I saw improvement pretty quickly and the hydrogen peroxide treatment is my standard morning and evening routine.

Actually, some commercial mouth washes do have hydrogen peroxide in their ingredients but they also have fluoride too - and the concentration of HP isn't strong enough. I usually make it quite strong so it stings a little and foams in my mouth a lot.

When I started using it I was afraid it would ruin my teeth but I hasn't. I have a private dental checkup every six months and I'm always told my teeth are in really good condition.

Another thing that I found useful was potassium iodine crystals so if hydrogen peroxide doesn't do the job for you KI may be your solution. If you decide to give HP a try, I'd stick with it for at least a month. The scrub seemed to be around 50% of my success so this may be worth a try too, although if your tongue hurts this may be a bit tricky.

Keyhole said:
(...) Persej, have you considered that the your oral thrush may simply be a sign of the overall state of the gastrointestinal system?

I hope that this treatment works for you. But my thoughts are: Since the mouth is actually just the entrance to the GI tract, it is possible that simply treating the mouth will not treat a deeper-routed issue. Hopefully it does, but if not,,, then one place to look may be the overall state of the immune system.

Can you get your Secretory IgA tested in the stool? That would be the first place I would investigate.

Yeah, my experience tells me that this is likely to be true. My success with oral issues was pretty quick when I started to address it internally (through supplements and better diet) as well as externally. It dragged its feet and kept coming back prior to that.

Keyhole said:
Persej, have you considered that the your oral thrush may simply be a sign of the overall state of the gastrointestinal system?

I know that my overall state of the immune system is in very bad condition. That's why I would like to try neem orally.

Probably not. I cannot find it in the local labs analysis. I had a very strong reaction in my stomach with the first probiotic enema. But a couple of days ago I did another after taking some antibiotic and had no reaction.

Back
Top Bottom