Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet

hago said:
Pinkerton said:
Do you use white rice? That is what is on sushi. Just wondering because white rice is a lot less beneficial than say brown rice.

First I tried brown rice and in my opinion it tastes horrible as rice milk, so I switched to white rice. Maybe not as nutritious, but I can make up for that in other ways.

Looks like white rice isn't a good idea since it's got a high starch content, which converts to sugar via enzymes. Hmmmm. I'm not sure I can force myself to drink brown rice milk. Yeck! I might have to switch to almond milk, or just drink plain water.

hago said:
I might have to switch to almond milk, or just drink plain water.

Ya, plain water is quite an excellent choice. :cool2:

Specially if your drink alkaline water. :thup:

Re: Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet

It's the first time I heard about 'flax seed oil', so I decided to do some research about it. Of course, 'detoxify or die' or other books might clarify or inform me about the benefits (or the non benefits) of flax seed oil, still, I browsed the internet and this forum in the hopes of collecting more information. And this is what I found:

On this forum, I found these:

from here:

(source: http://drbuscher.com/candida.htm)

If you have Candida in your mouth or throat (thrush), mix 1/8 teaspoon Nystatin in a cup of water and swish and gargle for one or two minutes, then swallow. This will help eliminate the yeast in your mouth and throat. You only need to do this for ten days, then you can just swallow it to help eliminate the intestinal yeast.

Maintaining good bowel function while taking Nystatin is very important. If you tend to be constipated, and herbal laxative or a fiber supplement such as psyllium seed or flax seed may be beneficial.

[...]

Gamma-Linoleic Acid (GLA) is an essential fatty acid (EFA) which is often extracted from evening primrose flowers. It is also found in cold-pressed oils such as olive, flax, sesame and borage seed oils. Increasing dietary GLA helps prevent candida from becoming systemically invasive. GLA is also known to have other beneficial effects on immune regulation. Other therapeutic EFA's are found in hemp, black current and billberry and in trace amounts in nuts and seeds, avocados and coconuts. One source says that olive oil keeps yeast from converting to a fungus.

[...]

According to a chiropractor friend with candida, one of her biggest manifestations was dry skin. She found lemon juice a great antidote to the candida. She makes salad dressing with lemon juice, garlic and olive/flax oil and uses it with plenty of green leaves!

from here:

(source: Leo Galland's "The Fat Resistance Diet")

Flax seed, an excellent source of omega-3’s, was the health food of the Romans. Purslane supplied them for the ancient Greeks. The Twentieth Century witnessed a progressive depletion of omega-3 oils from diets of people all over the world. Because omega-3’s have a short shelf life, they were systematically removed from processed foods and animal feed. The result is a widespread global deficiency of omega-3’s, in industrialized nations and developing countries alike. Any successful solution to the twin problems of obesity and chronic inflammation must correct this deficiency by incorporating omega-3 containing foods, like flax seed, walnuts, salmon, tuna and other cold water fish, beans and leafy greens. Feeding flax seed or seaweed to chickens allows them to lay eggs with omega-3 fatty acids in the yolk.

Laura in here:

1 TBSP Flax seed oil (we buy this from a livestock feed supplier in a five
liter container. If it is good enough for horses, it's good enough for us.)

From here

(source: _http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/06/17/cancer.fraud.ap/index.html)

Wow, that last line is laughable coming from the FDA. They even have melatonin, red clover,coral calcium, flax seed oil and green tea listed as fake 'cancer' cures consumers should avoid. What a spin against those healthy supplements.

From here

Hemp "oil" is not a significant source of fiber, sugars, Vit. A, Vit. C, Calcium or Iron
In 1991 Dr. Roberta Hamilton, head of the UCLA Biochemistry Dept. discovered that Hemp seed oil contains ALL EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) And Amino acids. This was the first food souce discovered to contain all, and not to mention the oils were in the exact proportions needed for the human body.

It's low in saturated fats at 8% of total volume, the oil contains 55% Linoleic acid (LA) and 25% Linolenic acid (LNA) Only Flax has more Linolenic acid at 58% but Hemp has the highest in total amounts at 80% of total volume.

These oils are essential for our immune system, and are the basis of our cellular structure. Hemp seed protein is also 65% globulin edesin (easily digestible) Only Soy bean has a higher amount of protein, but Hemp seed protein is far more digestible. Hemp seed is also an extremely high source of fiber.

Mr. Premise said here:

Linen seed (called Flax Seed in English) oil is good for the brain (helps prevent depression among other things)and cell walls in general (Omega 3 Fatty Acid without the toxins of Fish Oil) and also cardiovascular system.

From here:

(source: COMPLETE CLEANSING OF ORGANISM (by N. Semenova) )

Flax seeds are deadly almost for all kinds helmintes (ascarides can be killed by adding to flax seeds 2% cloves. Flax seeds should be roasted and slightly crushed in a coffee grinder. It is added to soups, porridges and cold dishes. It does not lose its properties during 6 months. And pharmacia’a over-the-counter syrups from eleuteroccocus, ginseng, Aralia mandshurica, Schis?ndra chinénsis are not effective. Though these plants possess antiparasitic properties, a sugar syrup stimulates growth of Candida fungi.

And now more from browsing the Internet:

From this Dutch website (_http://overgewicht.pilliewillie.nl/obesitas/behandeling.overgewicht.3e.php#lijnzaadolie) I read the following (of course, I will take everything with a grain of salt:)

Flax seed oil (''Lijnzaad olie'' in Dutch) contains a lot of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), or so I read in this person's article.

The source says:

Dietary alpha-linolenic acid is associated with reduced risk of fatal coronary heart disease, but increased prostate cancer risk: a meta-analysis.

Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, Wageningen, the Netherlands. ingeborg.brouwer@wur.nl

The objective of this meta-analysis was to estimate quantitatively the associations between intake of alpha-linolenic acid [ALA, the (n-3) fatty acid in vegetable oils], mortality from heart disease, and the occurrence of prostate cancer in observational studies. We identified 5 prospective cohort studies that reported intake of ALA and mortality from heart disease. We also reviewed data from 3 clinical trials on ALA intake and heart disease. In addition, we identified 9 cohort and case-control studies that reported on the association between ALA intake or blood levels and incidence or prevalence of prostate cancer. We combined risk estimates across studies using a random-effects model. High ALA intake was associated with reduced risk of fatal heart disease in prospective cohort studies (combined relative risk 0.79, 95% CI 0.60-1.04). Three open-label trials also indicated that ALA may protect against heart disease. However, epidemiologic studies also showed an increased risk of prostate cancer in men with a high intake or blood level of ALA (combined relative risk 1.70; 95% CI 1.12-2.58). This meta-analysis shows that consumption of ALA might reduce heart disease mortality. However, the association between high intake of ALA and prostate cancer is of concern and warrants further study.

This is what gets my attention (might be because of my lack of knowledge in the language English):
They are speaking of 'dietary' ALA
And! They are speaking of 'fatty acid in vegetable oils'

And I remember Laura saying:

Vegetable oil? No way! Only olive oil, hemp seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, or other nut oils. Vegetable oil is evil!
and
You also need oils and the best ones are Hemp, Flax, pumpkin, olive and some nut oils. NEVER vegetable oils!

I'm a bit confused, because I thought that mostly all (''nature'') oils were ''vegetable oils''. So apparently I'm making a big misunderstanding here, because it seems that vegetable oil is something else. I thought that all oils, such as olive etc. fall under the category ''vegetable oils'' if that makes sense. Or is by 'vegetable oil' meant oils that are 'destructively processed', as the last article below describes 'unnatural oils'?

Anyhow, this is what I found scrolling down for the sources; beneath ''referenties Lijnzaadolie'' (references):

2005 May 15

Dietary flaxseed alters tumor biological markers in postmenopausal breast cancer.

Thompson LU, Chen JM, Li T, Strasser-Weippl K, Goss PE.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

PURPOSE: Flaxseed, the richest source of mammalian lignan precursors, has previously been shown to reduce the growth of tumors in rats. This study examined, in a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial, the effects of dietary flaxseed on tumor biological markers and urinary lignan excretion in postmenopausal patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer. EXPERIMENTAL DESIGN: Patients were randomized to daily intake of either a 25 g flaxseed-containing muffin (n = 19) or a control (placebo) muffin (n = 13). At the time of diagnosis and again at definitive surgery, tumor tissue was analyzed for the rate of tumor cell proliferation (Ki-67 labeling index, primary end point), apoptosis, c-erbB2 expression, and estrogen and progesterone receptor levels. Twenty-four-hour urine samples were analyzed for lignans, and 3-day diet records were evaluated for macronutrient and caloric intake. Mean treatment times were 39 and 32 days in the placebo and flaxseed groups, respectively. RESULTS: Reductions in Ki-67 labeling index (34.2%; P = 0.001) and in c-erbB2 expression (71.0%; P = 0.003) and an increase in apoptosis (30.7%; P = 0.007) were observed in the flaxseed, but not in the placebo group. No significant differences in caloric and macronutrient intake were seen between groups and between pre- and posttreatment periods. A significant increase in mean urinary lignan excretion was observed in the flaxseed group (1,300%; P < 0.01) compared with placebo controls. The total intake of flaxseed was correlated with changes in c-erbB2 score (r = -0.373; P = 0.036) and apoptotic index (r = 0.495; P < 0.004). CONCLUSION: Dietary flaxseed has the potential to reduce tumor growth in patients with breast cancer.

And these:

2005 Sep 20

The inhibitory effect of flaxseed on the growth and metastasis of estrogen receptor negative human breast cancer xenograftsis attributed to both its lignan and oil components.

Wang L, Chen J, Thompson LU.

Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada.

Our previous studies have shown that dietary flaxseed (FS) can reduce the growth and metastasis of human estrogen receptor negative (ER-) breast cancer in nude mice. The aims of our study were to determine (i) whether the tumor inhibitory effect of FS was due to its oil (FO), lignan secoisolariciresinol diglycoside (SDG), or both components, and (ii) whether the effect on tumor growth was related to increased lipid peroxidation. Athymic nude mice were orthotopically injected with ER- breast cancer cells (MDA-MB-435) and 8 weeks later were fed either the basal diet (BD) or BD supplemented with 10% FS, SDG, FO, or combined SDG and FO (SDG + FO) for 6 weeks. The SDG and FO levels were equivalent to the amounts in the 10% FS. Compared to the BD group, the tumor growth rate was significantly lower (p < 0.05) in the FS, FO, and SDG + FO groups, in concordance with decreased cell proliferation and increased apoptosis; however, these did not significantly relate to the lipid peroxidation, indexed as malonaldehyde (MDA), in the primary tumors. Lung metastasis incidence was reduced (16-70%) by all treatments, significantly in the FS and SDG + FO groups. The distant lymph node metastasis was significantly decreased (52%) only in the FO group. Although the total metastasis incidence was lowered (42%) significantly only in the SDG + FO group, all treatment groups did not differ significantly. In conclusion, FS reduced the growth and metastasis of established ER- human breast cancer in part due to its lignan and FO components, and not to lipid peroxidation. (c) 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

2000, Mar 9

Alpha-linolenic acid and risk of prostate cancer: a case-control study in Uruguay.

De Stéfani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H, Boffetta P, Ronco A, Mendilaharsu M.

Registro Nacional de C?ncer, Montevideo, Uruguay.

In the time period of 1994-1998, a case-control study on diet and prostate cancer was carried out in Uruguay to examine the risk associated with fat intake. Two hundred and seventeen (217) incident cases afflicted with advanced prostate cancer were frequency-matched with 431 controls on age, residence, and urban/rural status. The analysis was carried out using unconditional multiple logistic regression. Alpha-linolenic acid was associated with a strong positive association (fourth quartile of intake odds ratio, 3.91; 95% confidence interval, 1.50-10.1) after controlling for total calorie intake and for the other types of fat. The effect was similar when alpha-linolenic acid was analyzed by its sources of origin (odds ratio for vegetable linolenic acid, 2.03; 95% confidence interval, 1.01-4.07). Including this report, five of six studies that have examined the relationship between alpha-linolenic acid and prostate cancer yielded a positive association, which was significant in four studies. Thus, there appears to be evidence of a role of alpha-linolenic acid in prostate carcinogenesis.

So apparently the ''non benefit'' of ALA, (ALA is rich in Flax seed oil), would be it's ''connection'' to prostate cancer according to these research.

But then I found this (again, I will take this with a grain of salt as well):

_http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/flaxoilcaner.html

FLAXSEED OIL (ALA) & PROSTATE CANCER

Witch Hunt or Cause for Concern? By Udo Erasmus

[Background, and Abbreviations used in this Article]:

EFAs: Essential Fatty Acids are substances from fats that must be provided by foods because the body cannot make them, and yet must have them for health. EFAs exist in two families: omega-3 (n-3) and omega-6 (n-6). From these two, the body can make several derivatives, hormones, and other active substances.

---> N-3: omega-3 fatty acids include

1. ALA (alpha-linolenic acid; abundant in flax, and present in smaller quantities in hemp, walnut, soybean, and canola); given enough ALA to start with, the body converts ALA into SDA, EPA, and DHA in various tissues, according to need; 2. SDA (stearidonic acid; present in a few exotic seeds);

3. EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid; parent of Series 1 eicosanoid hormones; found in snake and fish oils);

4. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid; the major brain n-3; found in fish oils).

ALA: Alpha-Linolenic Acid is the (n-3) EFA. It is sometimes shortened to LNA. Others shorten it to ALNA.

ALA is very fragile to destruction by light, oxygen (air), and heat, and must therefore be protected from these destructive influences. If this is not done, ALA molecules are changed from natural and beneficial, to unnatural and toxic. ALA is destroyed about 5 times faster than LA, the n-6 EFA.

ALA is deficient in the diets of most people in affluent societies. Its intake has decreased to less than 20% of what was present in common diets 150 years ago, mainly due to decreased use because of its fragility.

---> N-6: omega-6 fatty acids include

1. LA (linoleic acid; abundant in safflower, sunflower, and corn; present in medium quantities in soybean, sesame, pumpkin seed, and almond; present in small quantities in canola, peanut, and olive); given enough LA to start with, the body converts LA into GLA, DGLA, and AA in various tissues, according to need;

2. GLA (gamma-linolenic acid; present in evening primrose oil);

3. DGLA (dihomogamma-linolenic acid; parent of Series 1 eicosanoid hormones);

4. AA (Arachidonic acid; the major brain n-6; parent of Series 2 eicosanoid hormones; found in meat, eggs, and dairy products).

LA: Linoleic Acid is the omega-6 (n-6) EFA.

LA is abundant in the diets of most people in affluent societies, its intake having doubled during the past 100 years due to increased use of corn and safflower oils.LA is sensitive to destruction by light, oxygen (air), and heat, and should be protected from these destructive influences. If this is not done, LA molecules can change from natural and beneficial, to unnatural and toxic.

[Introduction]

In their frenzy to boost sales, manufacturers of flax oil have greatly promoted (perhaps even over-promoted) its benefits but have not addressed the down side of flax oil. Flax oil has benefits, but it also has shortcomings. Overlooked, these can lead to serious health problems. What are these shortcomings, and what are the problems that can stem from excessive use of flax oil?

[Context]

A recent review article points out that prostate cancer is increasing, and is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the Western world. The etiology of prostate cancer remains unclear, course and progression are unpredictable, and definite treatment is not yet established.

Lifestyle and diet could contribute to the progression from small, latent, non-metastatic tumors to clinically significant, invasive, metastatic lesions.1

Research on the involvement of fats and fatty acids in prostate cancer has been inconsistent.
Most of the information available comes from epidemiological studies. Data from animal and human studies are limited.1

There is the further problems that results from animal studies, especially rats, cannot be automatically generalized to humans, because rats and humans metabolize fats quite differently. Also, rats don’t fry steaks, don’t use salad dressings and mayonnaise made with oils that have been highly processed, and don’t eat butter that has been exposed to light and air, sometimes for weeks. The reason I make this point will become clear a little later.

Studies done on cell cultures do not take into account the effects of fats on other organs that can affect tumor development and growth. In particular, some fatty acids up- or down-regulate the functions of genes, and it appears that some fatty acids also change the effectiveness of hormones even if they don’t change hormone levels present in tissues.

[A One-side View]

Within this context, the suggestion has been made in published literature that flax oil should not be used because it can increase prostate cancer. The Prostate Forum2 lists six studies showing positive correlation between ALA (in serum, adipose tissue, and red blood cell membranes) and prostate cancer.

Of the six studies, one showed no correlation.3 One found a small (not statistically significant) positive correlation.4 Four studies found a strong positive correlation between ALA and prostate cancer.5,6,7,8 At least two other studies have also shown a correlation of alpha-linolenic acid with increased prostate cancer.9,10

According to Prostate Forum, several labs have found that ALA is one of the most powerful growth stimulants for human prostate cancer cells.2

The Prostate Forum has recommended against the use of flax oil by men with prostate cancer. Since flax oil is the richest readily available food source of ALA, the reasoning goes, this oil should cause the most prostate cancer.

Sources of ALA Used Studies that Support One-Sided View The ‘ALA’ in population (epidemiologic) studies comes from two main sources: vegetable oil, and red meat animal products. Both were shown to correlate with similar increases in prostate cancer.

In cell studies, chemically ‘pure’ fatty acids are usually used. The sources of ALA, the n-3 EFA that is 5 times more easily destroyed by light, oxygen, and heat than LA (the n-6 EFA), come from foods that have been treated with great carelessness. Let me illustrate this point.

In one of the epidemiologic studies,5 the sources of ALA were listed. They include red meat and bacon (both are usually eaten fried), salad dressing and mayonnaise [made from soybean and/or canola oils which have been destructively processed by degumming, refining, bleaching, and deodorizing (so-called ‘RBD oils’)], and butter (which is poorly protected from light and air between the time the cow is milked until the butter is consumed).

In addition, beef and butter contain trans- fatty acids, and these correlate with increased cancers including prostate cancer. One of these trans- fatty acid is Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) which is also sold as a supplement in capsules (see article on CLA on www.udoerasmus.com ).

[Some Other Views]

Interestingly, a study done with flax grain has shown that flax inhibits the growth of prostate cancer.6 Another study showed that prostatic alpha-linolenic acid was lower in cancerous prostate glands that exhibited perineural invasion, seminal vesicle involvement, and stage T3 tumors.7

In a review article on n-3 fatty acids and cancer, the author makes the observation that the effect of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) on cancer depends on “background levels of n-6 PUFAs and antioxidants, and this could account for previously inconsistent results in experimental carcinogenesis.”

He also makes the observation that “n-3 PUFAs appear to be excellent substrates for lipid peroxidation in situations where an oxidative stress is involved, such as in the action of several cytotoxic agents in the treatment of cancer,”8

Other researchers found that the ratio of n-3/n-6 PUFAs decreased in the following order: normal, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostate cancer. This indicates that n-3 inhibit prostate problems. They conclude that the ratio of n-3/n-6 may have an important association with the benign and malignant statue of prostatic disease.9

Yet other researchers suggest that among fatty acids, the n-6 derivative arachidonic acid (AA), delivered in larger than normal quantities to prostate cancer cells in tissue culture by LDL cholesterol via over-expression of its receptor (LDLr), increases the activity of the cancer-related genes c-fos and cox-2.10

In 1994, one review suggested that for prostate cancer, fat consumption should be decreased to 15% of calories. The antioxidants selenium and vitamin E should be supplemented, and a soy product should be used.11

Another study shows that the same n-6 derivative AA, stimulates growth and division of prostate cancer cells (both hormone-sensitive and hormone-insensitive) by increasing lipoxygenase enzyme activity (increasing inflammation). The researchers show that if you block this enzyme, the prostate cells self-destruct (apoptose) very rapidly.12 This could be achieved by inhibitor molecules, by decrease of AA in the medium (or diet), and by increase of n-3 fatty acids that inhibit the production of AA.
And AA is:

4. AA (Arachidonic acid; the major brain n-6; parent of Series 2 eicosanoid hormones; found in meat, eggs, and dairy products).

One further study showed a positive association between prostate cancer and animal fat, as well as the n-3 EFA (ALA). It also showed an inverse association between the antioxidant vitamin C and prostate cancer.13

A study in 1985 showed that GLA, ALA, AA, and EPA all killed prostate cancer cells in tissue culture, but did not affect the normal cells with which they were cultured. The latter continued to grow normally. When essential fatty acids were not present, the prostate cancer cells overgrew the normal cells.14

In 1991, the view from research was that diets containing high levels of n-6 fatty acids enhance tumorigenesis in animals, and that diets with equivalent levels of n-3 fatty acids diminish tumorigenesis.15

A 1999 publication concludes that the combination of fatty acids makes a difference. In this study, GLA, ALA, and EPA increase the death of prostate cancer cells. A slight increase of cancer cell death was obtained when ALA was combined with AA, OA, or GLA. But ALA with LA or EPA had no effect or even decreased prostate cancer cell deaths.16

A study with another prostate cancer cell line reports that GLA and EPA, which inhibit an important enzyme in carcinogenesis (urokinase-type plasminogen activator [uPA]), suppress cell proliferation (growth and division). Low EPA and high uPA levels have been reported in cancer. ALA, LA, and AA also suppressed cell proliferation in this study.17

Another study found that rats grow faster when vitamin E is given along with linseed oil (which is refined, bleached, deodorized flax oil), grow slower if linseed oil was given without vitamin E, and grow even slower in the presence of pro-oxidant.18

A study in women found that only ALA, but not saturates, monounsaturates, or long chain polyunsaturates n-3 or n-6, had a protective effect on breast cancer.19

A 1999 study found that mutation of the androgen receptor (AR) gene as a cause of prostate cancer is rare, and that over-expression of the AR gene seems to be the most common alteration in hormone-refractory prostate cancer.20 The question left unanswered is what causes this over-expression.

A study published in 2001 concludes that a high intake of both red meat and dairy products is associated with a two-fold increase in risk of prostate cancer. The reason for the association with red meat remains unexplained.21 Another 2001 study found that a short term (3 month) low fat, fish oil (EPA and DHA) enriched diet increased the n-3/n-6 ratio in plasma and adipose tissue. Also, cyclooxygenase (COX-2) expression decreased in 4 of 7 patients.22 COX-2 produces inflammation, which is involved in cancer.

Finally, a study found that DHA and EPA decreased expression of several genes that are up-regulated by androgen in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. They thereby reduced androgen-mediated cell growth of this prostate cancer cell line. DHA increased the proto-oncoprotein c-jun.23

Science has become so technical that we’re nearing the Tower of Babble, where everyone talks and no one understands. We get lost in a sea of details, lose our common sense, and only drug manufacturers, whose products suppress symptoms without effecting cure, benefit from the confusion.

It is not difficult to see that these various findings by researchers must leave most people confused. The problem with these studies is the isolation in which they are carried out.

In Nature, n-3 and n-6 EFAs are undamaged because they have not been destructively processed, and are accompanied by by many other oil-soluble substances, including antioxidants, mineral, vitamins, phytosterols, lecithin, and more. Many of these substances have anti-cancer or immune-enhancing effects in the body. In the lab, substances are isolated into chemically pure forms, which are easier to manage, but in their effects on the body are far different from whole foods with their thousands of synergistic ingredients.

So far I find this very interesting!

And also, indeed, if there isn't much care for these nutrients, then these nutrients might alter into something much more dangerous, due to their sensitivity..

The next I also found important to read:

We should address the contradictory findings of the studies by applying some common sense. That is what we will attempt to do next.

N-3 related Causes of Prostate Cancer: Common Sense EFAs are chemically very active molecules. They are required for vital functions in all cells and tissues. We cannot live without them. They must be provided by foods.

The big question that begs to be answered is why substances that are absolutely required for health can at the same time give you cancer and kill you. It doesn’t make sense. So there must be other issues that are being ignored when professionals (untrained in nutrition), in this case of ALA and flax oil, issue an edict against their use.

Here are my thoughts on the issues that must be considered in trying to find out what is happening in the effects of EFAs in prostate cancer, and how to avoid or fix it.

1. Processing damage of ALA, the most fragile of essential nutrients, must be considered as a possible cause of increased prostate cancer. As ALA consumption increases, so does the amount of damaged, toxic breakdown products of ALA resulting from careless treatment of this essential nutrient.

Unless care is taken to protect ALA from being damaged and thus made toxic by light, air, and heat, health problems based on the toxicity of altered molecules of ALA should be expected to accompany ALA intake.

2. Pro-oxidants. According to one of the above studies, which compared high and low intakes of ALA in humans,5 the strongest risk factor was the consumption of red meat. Red meat is rich in iron, which along with other metal elements such as copper, has strong pro-oxidant action that can speed up the damage done to EFAs by light, oxygen, and heat. That’s true outside the body as well as inside the body.

Because of ALA’s far higher fragility, we should expect ALA to be damaged far more extensively than LA. As a result, far more toxicity should come from diets with higher ALA intake in association with pro-oxidants that lead to free radical formation and oxidation products.

Related information shows that red meat consumption correlates with increased cancer in general. White meats from chicken and turkey, which contain as much ALA as red meat does, show less of a correlation with cancer than red meat.

High fat fish, which contains more n-3 than red meat, and in the form of EPA and DHA, that are even more fragile to damage done by light, air, and heat, lowers cancer risk factors. And raw high fat fish, in the form of Japanese sushi or sashimi, correlates with the least cancer.

These findings do not provide proofs, but the trend is obvious. It suggests that ALA or the other n-3 do not increase prostate cancer, but that the n-3 molecules damaged during commercial processing and food preparation-cooking, frying, and especially barbecuing-may well be the reason for the increased cancer seen in some of the studies.

A question that is not often discussed is the effect of cytotoxic (cell-toxic) chemicals used in the treatment of cancer. Some of these appear to be able to damage (oxidize) n-3 fats when both are given to a cancer patient.

3. Antioxidant depletion. Research has consistently shown that increased intake of EFAs increases the need for antioxidants.(31) EFAs are high-energy fuel. In the body, they build a strong fire. A strong fire throws more sparks than a weak one. Those who fear the EFAs suggest that we should lower intake. That means, turn down the fire.

Taken to its logical conclusion, that would mean that we should put the fire out, because if there’s no fire (i.e. we are dead), there’ll be no sparks that can do damage. Then we need no more antioxidant spark control, because the fire's out. What would be the point of that?

A more viable solution is to make the strongest possible fire of energy (life), and to make sure that there’s good spark control. Antioxidant protection should accompany our increased intake of EFAs. N-3 fatty acids, being more chemically active than n-6, probably require a higher antioxidant intake for spark control. But higher n-6 intake too, requires more antioxidants.

The richest source of antioxidants is fresh green vegetables. They make hundreds of different kinds of antioxidants. The seeds themselves are also rich sources of antioxidants for their own (and if we eat them, our) protection. Oils made with health in mind contain natural antioxidants appropriate for their EFA content. Oils made with shelf life in mind have had these antioxidants removed. That's why synthetic antioxidants (BHA, BHT, and others) are added to replace the natural antioxidants that were removed by refining, bleaching and deodorizing.

natural antioxidants replaced by synthetic antioxidants?!! :scared:

And research has shown that 400-800mg of vitamin E daily reduce cardiovascular risk by over 75%,(32) while 200ug of selenium daily reduce cancer risk by over 50%.(33) These two powerful antioxidants, as well as zinc, manganese, vitamin C, vitamin A (or carotene), sulfur-containing amino acids, alpha-lipoic acid, garlic, and onions, all provide antioxidant protection to the body.(33b) Certain herbs, and mushrooms also help.()

4. Lack of Phytosterols. Phytosterols have been shown to inhibit many cancers. One of the pioneers in natural treatments of cancer, Dr. Emanuel Revici, worked from the hypothesis that lack of EFAs, and lack of (phyto)sterols cause cancer. He successfully reversed cancer with EFAs and/or sterols. His methods reversed the cancers of many patients, and Revici himself was a testimony to his own methods. He died a few years ago at the age of 102.

Unfortunately, much of his work is now lost.(34a) Phytosterols are found in the membranes of all cells of all plants, in seeds and in unrefined oils, but they are not found in animals. They inhibit sterol reactions: cholesterol, and the male and female steroid hormones androgen (testosterone), estrogens (estradiol, estriol, progesterone), and corticosteroids (aldosterone, cortisol, and others).

They therefore slow down the growth of steroid hormone-specific cancers, including some types of prostate cancer.

5. Too much ALA in relation to LA is another factor that needs to be addressed. N-3 and n-6 EFAs compete in the body for space on the enzymes that convert them into derivatives and eicosanoid hormones. Hence the ratio between them must be such that adequate amounts of both are converted.

A ratio of 2: 1 of n-3 to n-6 will do this. So will a ratio of 1: 4. In healthy people, a wide range of ratios is able to maintain health. In people with degenerative conditions, emphasis on n-3 seems to be more effective. That’s because n-3 intake has dropped to 1/6th of what people obtained in their diet 150 years ago, while n-6 intake has doubled over the past 100 years.

This problem can be caused by flax oil. Flaxseed, used as the exclusive source of fats in the diet, will eventually lead to n-6 deficiency. Both flax and flax oil have an n-3: n-6 ratio of 3.5 or even 4: 1. Using such a ratio will result in the n-6 EFA being crowded out from the enzymes. And that will lead to n-6 deficiency symptoms.

The list of n-6 symptoms is long but, relevant here, is the fact that n-6 deficiency leads to deterioration of immune function, which in turn can lead to increased cancer growth.24

A comprehensive list of n-3 and n-6 deficiency symptoms is found in the book Fats That Heal Fats That Kill. High n-3 with low n-6 can also be seen in other cancers. I have seen a reference in that regard for breast cancer.(35)

6. Other toxic materials that accompany EFAs can also affect cancers. For instance, antibiotics used in feeds end up in meat. These antibiotics can inhibit immune function.(36) Hormones and pesticides contained in meat, butter, and other dairy products can also affect cancer outcome.

In vegetable oils, the packaging can also be an issue. Plastics, which contain fillers, plasticisers, stabilizers, mould releasers, and other industrial chemicals may be able to dissolve in oils, and then have an effect on the body that accompanies the oil. Packaging oils in clear glass or plastic, especially those that contain n-3 (canola and soybean) is an antiquated and inadvisable method, because it exposes the oils to the destructive influence of light.

In some plastics, heavy metals like lead have been found. Carbon Black, a cousin of soot used to make some plastics opaque to light, contains PAHs (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) that form when carbon reacts with itself in a situation of incomplete burning. PAHs are carcinogenic.(37)

Ok, now I understand it better when Laura says that it's better not to take vegetable oils.

Oxidative stress from cell-killing (cytotoxic) chemicals-industrial (e.g. pesticides) or even pharmaceutical (e.g. drugs used to treat cancer and other conditions) can affect the action of n-3 (and other nutrients) in the body. Since n-3 are natural and essential, and drugs are unnatural and toxic, preference should be given to natural treatments whenever possible.

It's so sad... My physics teacher from last year, who is in my eyes a good person, just got hit by a car two weeks ago when he was cycling to school. I just heard this yesterday from one of my classmates and I'm still shocked! He was in a coma and got out of it and he's in very bad shape, I also heard that he burnt 30% of his skin and is in quarantaine at one of the burn centers. And on top of that, he is not reacting that well at all to the antibiotics!! And reading all this, makes me even more angry! :(

The practice of "complementary medicine", in which natural as well as unnatural treatments are combined, in such cases becomes "contradictory medicine". To be healthy, we must not poison our genetic program and its work, and we must give that genetic program the building blocks it needs to build a healthy body.

If we give our genetic program the building blocks it needs but poison it at the same time, we should not expect good health outcomes, because these two approaches contradict each other. We cannot poison our way to health.

The Cause of the Increase in Prostate Cancer: Research Authors of published studies have suggested several possibilities to explain the correlation of ALA with prostate cancer.

These include:

1. Oxidation products of ALA formed during cooking of meat;

2. Damage done to ALA molecules during processing;

3. Low ratio of LA: ALA (too little LA, which leads to breakdown of immune system function and therefore to increased cancer growth;

4. Lack of balancing molecules such as phytosterols and antioxidants, which are found in seeds, but are removed or damaged during processing and cooking practices;

5. Free radical formation from fatty acid oxidation.

6. ALA-based free radicals (resulting from processing) that can damage genetic material (DNA) and lead to tumor formation;

7. Decrease in the level of antioxidants, because they are used up to deal with ALA-based free radicals produced in the body;

8. Alterations in eicosanoid synthesis;

9. Changes in cell membrane composition, affecting permeability and receptor activity;

10. Interference with 5-alpha-reductase activity;

11. EFAs may increase steroid hormone production that is important in androgen sensitive growth. (Actually, EFAs decrease steroid hormones. Apparently they make hormones work better, and therefore smaller amounts of hormones are needed to get their normal job done.

[Differences between Oils Made Without or With Health in Mind]

I learned about the highly sensitive n-3 ALA in 1983. I have emphasized since that time that ALA should never be subjected to the destructive influences of light, oxygen, and high temperatures.

One or more of these destructive influences is involved during

1. Commercial and home frying;

2. Processing (deodorization) involved in the production of the cooking (RBD) oils that line the shelves of grocery, convenience, and health food stores;

3. Hydrogenation, a process used to make margarine and shortening; and

4. Partial hydrogenation of oils to make shelf stable convenience foods.

Damage done to ALA molecules by light, air, and heat can produce highly toxic unnatural molecules.24 ALA forms more toxic breakdown products due to processing damage than does the n-6 EFA.24

Destructive processing is likely the cause of some of the changes that lead to increased prostate cancer.

A more comprehensive story of how EFAs are damaged is found in the book Fats That Heal Fats That Kill.

Perhaps an interesting book to read as well?

[What Should we Do to Protect our Prostate Gland?]

Born in 1942, I’m in the age group of men that should pay attention to the condition of their prostate gland. I cannot give you medical advice or make decisions for you, but I can tell you what I do.

I do not use, and recommend against the use of flax oil except in combination with other, n-6 richer oils. It is a great source of n-3 but a very poorly balanced oil, deficient in the equally necessary n-6.

I abhor the use of plastics for packaging liquids (water, oil, milk, juices, alcohol, tinctures, etc.). Liquids move all the time, and continually wash the inside of their container. You can taste plastic in water. You won’t likely taste plastic in oils, but they are even more likely to drift into oils than into water, because oils swell plastics.

This reminds me: one time I drank milk from this plastic big 'bottle' from one of the biggest and commercialized supermarkets from Holland and... I tasted something like soap!! And I checked the date, but it wasn't passed the date, so I just put it back in the fridge... I never drink it from that bottle again and also told my parents about it.. yuck... I guess it makes sense to me now, I thought that maybe it was me and not the bottle/milk..

I do use and recommend an oil blend containing flax with sunflower and sesame oils from organically grown seeds, made with health in mind, and in the right n-3: n-6 ratio to prevent n-6 deficiency.

I do insist that my oil blend is packed in brown glass and further protected by a box to keep out all light.

I also use and recommend zinc, antioxidants, phytosterols, saw palmetto, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, anti-inflammatory herbs, and maitake extracts or mushrooms as part of a prostate nourishing nutritional program.

I use and recommend optimum intake of all components of health: 20 minerals, 13 vitamins, 8-11 amino acids, and 2 fatty acids; detoxifying fiber, digestive enzymes, and friendly bowel microorganisms; antioxidants; herbs (phytonutrients); filtered water; clean air; sunlight; and fuel.

I engage in and recommend physical activity (work or exercise) to stay fit.

I indulge myself in and recommend rest; recreation; the passionate pursuit of worthwhile goals; time spent with friends; a sense of humor; good balance between work and play; heart-felt gratitude; and faith in the grand scheme of things.

I don’t worry about ALA causing me prostate cancer. I use ALA on a daily basis, balanced with LA in my oil blend, as part of my program for health, along with lots of fresh organic green foods, proteins, support for digestion, and carbohydrate intake limited to the amount I burn.

ALA, after all, is essential for life and for health.

So my conclusion so far is that ALA does not necessarily damage, IF it is taken care of.

This writer writes about flax oil:

I do not use, and recommend against the use of flax oil except in combination with other, n-6 richer oils. It is a great source of n-3 but a very poorly balanced oil, deficient in the equally necessary n-6.

So according to him flax oil should be taken in combination with other n-6 richer oils. For example olive oil I think etc.

What do you think?

(I apologize if this highlights my lack of knowledge in detoxifying/nutrients etc. I'm still waiting for The Magnesium Miracle to 'arrive' and soon will be able to order 'Detoxify or Die')

Hemp Oil is another super source of essential fatty acids:

From wicked wiki:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_oil

About 30–35% of the weight of hempseed is an edible oil that contains about 80% as essential fatty acids (EFAs); i.e., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%). Hempseed also contains about 20% of a highly-digestible protein, where 1/3 is edestin and 2/3 are albumins. Its amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[6] The proportions of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in one tablespoon per day (15 ml)of hempseed oil easily provides human daily requirements for EFAs. Unlike flaxseed oil, hempseed oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs. This has been demonstrated in a clinical study, where the daily ingestion of flaxseed oil decreased the endogenous production of GLA.[7] Highly unsaturated oils, and especially poor quality oils, can spontaneously oxidize and turn rancid within a short period of time when they are not stored properly; i.e., in a cool/cold, dark place, preferably in a dark glass bottle. Hempseed oil can be frozen for longer periods of storage time, without a risk of breaking glass containers . Preservatives (antioxidants) are not necessary for high quality oils that are stored properly. Highly unsaturated oils are not suitable for frying, although rapeseed oil is a highly unsaturated oil that is commonly used in deep frying, primarily because of its low cost. Hempseed oil is primarily used as a food oil and dietary supplement, and has been shown to relive the symptoms of eczema (atopic dermatitis).[8]

Hempseed is an adequate source of calcium and iron. Whole, toasted hempseeds are also a good source of phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese.

The Universe gifted me with a litre of cold pressed unrefined hemp oil, pressed just this week and delivered to my door this afternoon - thank you Luke, it's so delicious :flowers:

_www.irishhealthoils.com

One of the hardcore heavy-metal-detox supplements recommended by Sherry Rogers in Detoxify or Die (and included on Laura's Detox Program) is reduced Glutathione or L-Glutathione. It's been part of my daily routine for a couple of weeks now. A shop assistant at a local healthfood store suggested that I look into NAC instead (that particular store didn't stock L-Glutathione).

American Nutrition said:
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine, known as "NAC" provides powerful immune support and also packs a powerful anti-toxin potential. Its ability to neutralize cell and DNA damaging free radicals can help slow down what many scientists point to as a key factor in the aging process. N-ACETYL L-CYSTEINE (NAC) or NAC is a more stable form of L-Cysteine because it has an acetyl group (CH3CO) attached.

NAC has all the properties of L-Cysteine but is more water soluble and said to be more bioavailable than L-Cysteine. NAC may be the most cost effective way to boost Glutathione levels in the body. Glutathione is a very valuable peptide, but very expensive when bought as a supplement. It is best to use NAC to boost your glutathione levels. NAC has been shown to play a protective role against a variety of toxic hazards such as cigarette smoke, auto exhaust, certain herbicides, and overdoses of acetaminophen. It can also play a beneficial role in prostate and respiratory conditions. For example, NAC has well established antimucolytic (anti-mucous) properties and has been shown to increase mucocilary transport in smokers. As a beneficial glutathione booster, N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine is the supplement of choice.

Surprisingly, it is more effective than supplementing with cysteine, methionine, or even glutathione itself! No doubt NAC is the undisputed glutathione precursor. What makes NAC stand out in the crowd of glutathione boosters is the fact that it is a stable amino acid that can retain up to six times the amount of the sulfur and sulfhydryl groups after digestion. Scientists believe that sulfur and sulfur compounds may be central to glutathione and its precursor N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC).

_http://www.americannutrition.com/store/NACpg.html

Mercola's view:

N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is an acetylated amino acid and a precursor of glutathione, another potent antioxidant that prevents free radical damage from toxic exposures.

NAC is also a common emergency room treatment for people who have overdosed on acetaminophen (the active ingredient in pain relievers like Tylenol).

Interestingly, NAC is actually used to treat several types of lung disease, and although this animal study connects it with constriction of lung arteries, at least one other study has linked NAC with improved blood flow, stating NAC might increase the biologic effects of nitric oxide by combining with it to form S-nitrosothiol, which is a potent vasodilator. They found that NAC also increases the expression of nitric oxide synthase and may thus improve blood flow as well.

Since I don’t frequently use supplements, I consulted one of my friends, Dr. William LaValley from Austin, Texas, who is an expert in this area and has reviewed the literature thoroughly. He successfully uses supplements as a therapeutic tool in many chronic conditions including cancer.

He felt that PAH may be species specific and possibly won’t happen in humans, and more importantly, the study used much higher doses than are generally used in humans. As mentioned, there are many studies supporting the anti-oxidant benefit of NAC for pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis, post-radiation, and other high oxidant conditions. His conclusion, and I agree, is that a little is probably ok - even good for you. He has used NAC liberally in his therapeutic protocols for nearly 20 years and has not observed any problems with it. However using large quantities is probably not good for you. Long-term high doses are probably not so good for several reasons - including the possibility of PAH.

The study says that the doses are higher than usual in humans - but we know that the supplement manufacturers have been making 500mg NAC caps and selling them by the truckload for years. My biggest concern is the use of NAC by cancer patients who think it is helping - when in fact it may be harmful to them by protecting cancer cells and counteracting what potential benefit they may get from some conventional treatments. It's a thorny issue.

So, if used therapeutically, it should be used in low doses for 'prevention.' High doses should be restricted to disease/stress states that have high likelihood of high reactive oxygen species generation (such as trauma, certain types of infection, malnutrition, and certain types of toxicity).

Dr. LaValley feels that 200-500mg once a day is probably ok in most non-cancer cases. NAC is an important consideration for inclusion, at some reasonable dose, in anti-aging formulas.

However, please remember that the best way to get your antioxidants is to make sure you’re getting them from whole foods, not from supplements, which are often isolated synthetics rather than the readily bioavailable version. What you need is the Goldilock’s equation – not too many and not too few antioxidants – to achieve and maintain optimal health, and it is quite easy to overdose when you take supplements. Fortunately, your body does a phenomenal job of self-regulating many of these levels if you supply it with wholesome, healthy foods and limit your intake of processed foods, which are frequently loaded with artificial chemicals.

Normalizing your insulin and leptin levels is also quite helpful, as elevated insulin and leptin levels cause absolute biochemical havoc in your body and worsen nearly every major part of your physiology. Normalizing your blood sugar will raise your glutathione levels naturally, rather than taking glutathione or precursor supplements.

Glutathione, along with vitamin E, vitamin C and alpha lipoic acid are the basic antioxidants. Some nutritional authorities recommend you take it as a supplement, or take an NAC supplement. There are problems with both. First, the form of glutathione that works best is the reduced form, which is very difficult to absorb orally. Secondly, I advise against using NAC if you still have mercury amalgam fillings because it could interfere with the detoxification of the mercury.

It is much better to get your glutathione through items like alpha lipoic acid that regenerates glutathione. It also has the added ability to generate other antioxidants such as vitamins C and E. The best sources of alpha lipoic acid are red meat and organ meats. Just make sure to stick with grass-fed organic meats, to get the maximum nutrient content and none of the added antibiotics or pesticides.

Glutamine is also a useful nutrient that improves intestinal health and also serves as a direct precursor to glutathione, and some investigators believe it to be the rate-limiting nutrient for glutathione formation. However, in large quantities it can be problematic as Dr. Blaylock outlines in his book “Excitotoxins.”

_http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/09/25/this-common-antioxidant-supplement-could-cause-you-loads-of-trouble.aspx

Some interesting posts follow the initial article and Mercola's comments - here's one describing whey protein as the best wholefood source of Glutathione:

John Y said:
I agree that NAC may not be safe. However that is because of what I learned from the late Dr. Brad Cords. He stated on a conference call that I was on that NAC is not really a precursor to Glutathione but actually caused Glutathione in the body to concentrate in the Liver. This is what promoted the detoxification process. But, then the rest of the body was left deficient. He recommended bio-available Whey Protein (especially MA Plus) to actually cause the body to produce Glutathione. He describe it as the Master Antioxident. In that,Glutathione controls all the other anti-oxidents in the body. Bio-available Whey Protein provides th building blocks for Glutathione. It is not considered a supplement but a functional food This is because it is not a concoction or manufactured product but, a finely filtered whole food product.

And then this series of posts followed:

Stephen Burgio said:
[ Joined on 04/07 ] [ Posted on September 7, 2007]

Submit stories or comments linking to affiliate programs, multi-level marketing schemes, or off-topic content or any other system that will result in your personal financial or commercial gain.

Russ Bianchi said:
[ Joined on 09/06 ] [ Posted on September 7, 2007]

SNAKE OIL, don't waste your money.

Swami Barmi said:
[ Joined on 10/06 ] [ Posted on September 7, 2007]

" Be careful what you call snake oil, do a little research first."

I'd have to agree with him. He's answering the post that talks about the "Miracle Mineral". Look into that and you may agree.

GregB777 said:
[ Joined on 05/07 ] [ Posted on September 14, 2007]

"Submit stories or comments linking to affiliate programs, multi-level marketing schemes, or off-topic content or any other system that will result in your personal financial or commercial gain."

What the heck does this mean??? I've seen it before here, and I still don't understand what it means!!!!

Terse said:
[ Joined on 02/07 ] [ Posted on September 14, 2007]

Greg--

I used to wonder what that was too. I think what happened is that he put a link to some place where he could benefit financially from it on there.

If you look here, http://v.mercola.com/Termsofservice.htm , it's a direct quote of #6.

Katee Roux said:
[ Joined on 07/07 ] [ Posted on September 26, 2007]

Greg, it means that a moderator believes whatever the person said or linked was a multi-level marketing site or their own site that sells products. The moderator substitutes this quote for whatever the person said originally. Such links, etc. can get you banned. It appears this person was just warned at the time.

I'm looking around Dr. Mercola's website and forum for any other mention of MMS, the alleged Miracle Mineral Solution...

Well, I didn't find any other mention of MMS on Mercola's website, but I found an interesting post suggesting a connection between Candida and the anti-smoking fervour! Mind you, he doesn't substantiate his claim much...

Daniel John Richard said:
As for proper eating, kefir grains may be one of the greatest miracles to man kind, and is hands down the most important aspect to a healthy diet. The history of Kefir says that god just handed the grains to mankind from the sky, and could be "Manna" from the bible. Science cannot disprove the "creationism" of kefir, because kefir grains do not grow without human care. The prophet Muhammad is said to have never left his house without kefir, he is reported to have lived 96 years. Every European foreign exchange student I have met recognizes my kefir grains immediately. The difference I have seen between the European students and my fellow American students is that the European students look like supermodels. The American students, if they have not already started gaining weight, are certainly plagued by acne. Even the girls I knew to be damn good looking back in highschool are getting fat now at my age. I am 23. By the age of 40 they will have turned into my mother (obese). I saw highschool year book photos of my mother and her sister, they were the best looking girls in the entire school. My mother is obese, my aunt is overweight. I know well that a person who consumes hefty amounts of kefir daily will literally become superhuman.

Superhuman people enjoy tobacco, the reason for this is that the Candida infection causes allergies to tobacco smoke, first and second hand. Doctors speculate that 60-80% of the American population suffer from Candida. I have once suffered from Candida and had loathed the smell of tobacco smoke, it seemed downright nasty, I was convinced smoking is bad. Now that I am free of Candida I love the smell of tobacco smoke, even if it is from nasty chemical ridden cigarettes like Newport and Marlboro, they still smell damn good, though I would never smoke such nasty things. I smoke roughly 2 packs a day of natural tobacco. I understand well that I absorb vitamin B3 from nicotine, all of the "health benefits" of Vitamin B3 are the "Health Consequences" of smoking (supressed appetite, regulated nervous system, faster metabolism, detoxification of the blood cappilaries.) I understand that people with Candida suffer allergies to tobacco smoke because the smoke itself is cleaning them of the Candida, creating a detox reaction. According to Dr. Saleh Naser, nicotine is anti-viral, I understand that vitamin B3 is both anti-viral and anti-fungal. They say that nicotine even cures Tuberculosis:

12. Shocker: Villain ‘Nicotine’ slays TB

_http://www.data-yard.net/10c/nicotine.htm

Nicotine sure is a villain, it has corrupted me so much as to commense intensely long hours of seeking the truth. I think you mentioned Carbon Monoxide? There is a little something mentioned of it here,

13. The Carbon Monoxide Paradox

_http://www.data-yard.net/10b/cm.htm

Something about Carbon Monoxide making you super-human, err immune to disease, err prevents strokes and heart-attacks. Some more interesting evidences here...

14. Parkinson’s Disease is associated with non-smoking.

_http://www.forces.org/evidence/carol/carol36.htm

15. Alzheimer’s Disease is associated with non-smoking.

_http://www.forces.org/evidence/carol/carol16.htm

These could be a few of the major points for smoking, so that you don't end up convulsing, mentally retarded, pissing down the leg of your pants that you did not even put on yourself.

_http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/do-you-know-of-any-healthy-fraud-and-deceptions-that-need-to-be-exposed--4247.aspx

[From about a quarter of the way down the page]

Candida really is turning out to be 'their' special little helper on the 'inside'

Win the battle and you can look forward to a more enjoyable smoke. Or discover this higher-being food for the first time. Am I allowed to say that?! :halo:

Daniel John Richard said:
Superhuman people enjoy tobacco, the reason for this is that the Candida infection causes allergies to tobacco smoke, first and second hand. Doctors speculate that 60-80% of the American population suffer from Candida. I have once suffered from Candida and had loathed the smell of tobacco smoke, it seemed downright nasty, I was convinced smoking is bad. Now that I am free of Candida I love the smell of tobacco smoke, even if it is from nasty chemical ridden cigarettes like Newport and Marlboro, they still smell damn good, though I would never smoke such nasty things. I smoke roughly 2 packs a day of natural tobacco. I understand well that I absorb vitamin B3 from nicotine, all of the "health benefits" of Vitamin B3 are the "Health Consequences" of smoking (supressed appetite, regulated nervous system, faster metabolism, detoxification of the blood cappilaries.) I understand that people with Candida suffer allergies to tobacco smoke because the smoke itself is cleaning them of the Candida, creating a detox reaction. According to Dr. Saleh Naser, nicotine is anti-viral, I understand that vitamin B3 is both anti-viral and anti-fungal. They say that nicotine even cures Tuberculosis:

Well, that is interesting, since smoking reduces the levels of estrogens which is why is said that smoking has a protective action against endometrial cancer. Candida grows when levels of estrogen are high, so one would assume that smoking has a protective action against candida too.

To all Dutch (or Belgium) readers; I bought a book entitled ''Wat zit er in uw eten?'' (''What's in your food?'').
The writer is Corinne Couget (and Will Jansen)

This book explains which E numbers are ''good'' (labeled green) and which are ''bad'' (labeled red) and orange, which means ''look out''. Behind the E number, the name of the additive is written with info about it's effects. And as I browse the book, I don't see too much green!

Of course, the book also contains info on what E numbers are, info on MSG etc.

Also, at the end of the book there's a list of products that contain MSG. Overall, I think it's a book well worth buying!

Here is more info on the book (dutch):

De gids is handzaam opgemaakt in pocketformaat zodat iedereen het bij zich kan hebben tijdens het boodschappen doen. De E-nummers staan opgesomd met een uitleg en wat ze in het menselijk lichaam kunnen veroorzaken. Groen is oké, oranje is oppassen en rood is absoluut vermijden. De meeste E-nummers staan in het rood. Men verwacht niet dat giftige ingrediënten door de autoriteiten toegestaan worden. Het bestuderen van etiketten en verpakkingen levert een schat aan informatie zodra men kan opzoeken wat de toevoegingen betekenen.

--

(E numbers are number codes for food additives and are usually found on food labels throughout the European Union. The numbering scheme follows that of the International Numbering System (INS) as determined by the Codex Alimentarius committee. Only a subset of the INS additives are approved for use in the European Union, the 'E' prefix which stands for Europe. In casual language in the UK and Ireland, the term "E-number" is used as a pejorative term for artificial food additives, and products may promote themselves as "free of E-numbers" even though some of the ingredients (e.g. bicarbonate of soda) do have such a code. -Wiki)

Re: Candida- The Silent Epidemic

Laura said:
I now make mayonnaise in large quantities. I use 8 to 10 egg yolks, the
same number of teaspoons of dijon mustard, same number of teaspoons of lemon
juice (fresh or bottled), salt, pepper, garlic powder. Start the mixer and
then begin to add the grape seed oil a little at a time until it is the
right consistency. (It needs to stand up when you take the mixer out of
it.) Do NOT use olive oil for mayonnaise unless you intend to eat it all
right away. It separates in the fridge and is a pain to recover the
emulsion.
I'd like to try to make the mayonnaise you suggest. Reading the ingredients of the mayonnaise we used to buy from the supermarket has so MANY dangerous additives in it, that it's basically poison.

But I have a question about raw egg yolks.
Done some research here and there and there seems to be very little ''proof'' that they can be dangerous. On this site, I read the following:

Consuming Raw Egg Yolk

If you are not used to eating fresh raw egg yolks or fresh raw fish, you should start eating just a tiny bit of it on a daily basis, and then gradually increase the portions.

For example: you can start with consuming only a few drops of raw egg yolk daily, during the first 3 days. Then consume half a teaspoon raw egg yolk daily during the next 3 days. The next 3 days one teaspoon raw egg yolk daily. Then 2 teaspoons daily. Then 1 whole raw egg yolk daily and subsequently 2 raw egg yolks daily. Eventually, you can easily eat 5 raw egg yolks daily, which is absolutely perfect to enhance your mood, sleep and menstrual cycle.

[...]

Not the Egg-white and Not the ‘Bag’

Don't consume raw egg white. Egg white is comparable to the womb, ovaries and oviduct, containing the same substances as are produced in the human oviduct (which is enhanced by progesterone (avidine), respectively estrogen (ovomucoid));

- Avidine in raw egg-white de-activates vitamin B8 (biotine).

- Ovomucoid in raw egg-white inhibits trypsin, an enzyme that decomposes absorbed nutrients.

Also do not consume the 'bag' containing the yolk and the string attached to it; hold the whole yolk in your fingers, make a small cut, and drain the yolk.

Should I maybe start making the mayonnaise after what this writer has suggested:

"you should start eating just a tiny bit of it on a daily basis, and then gradually increase the portions" ?

The reason why this writer suggests that, is because:

The first 3 days that you consume fresh raw egg yolk, take only one teaspoon of it, so that your defense system has the time to adapt to the small amount of bacteria in the egg. The next 3 days you can take one whole egg yolk. And the next 3 days after that you can take one yolk more, and so on. That way your defenses system will be properly trained to fight bacteria, [...]

Edit: Silly, I just thought about it. Mayonnaise is eated anyway in small porportions, so it would be the same as taking a tiny bit of it at first.

Oxajil said:
Laura said:
emulsion.
I'd like to try to make the mayonnaise you suggest. Reading the ingredients of the mayonnaise we used to buy from the supermarket has so MANY dangerous additives in it, that it's basically poison.

And homemade mayonnaise is incomparable! We tried Laura's recipe, with grapeseed oil, and it's unbelievably good - it would make the plainest and most tasteless food yummy. It's really something to try! As I didn't have grapeseed oil the 1st time, we tried with olive oil which we ate right away, but it's far more difficult to obtain the emulsion, and the taste is not as good; olive oil has a very strong taste, it's not really appropriate for mayonnaise.

Adaryn said:
Oxajil said:
Laura said:
emulsion.

And homemade mayonnaise is incomparable! We tried Laura's recipe, with grapeseed oil, and it's unbelievably good - it would make the plainest and most tasteless food yummy. It's really something to try! As I didn't have grapeseed oil the 1st time, we tried with olive oil which we ate right away, but it's far more difficult to obtain the emulsion, and the taste is not as good; olive oil has a very strong taste, it's not really appropriate for mayonnaise.
Ye, I'll try to make it with grapeseed oil! Thanks for sharing.

A really good short version of the whole problem:

http://www.vitaminlady.com/Articles/candida_albicans.asp
CANDIDALLY SPEAKING
by Lynn Hinderliter CN, LDN

Candida Albicans brings a mind-boggling list of of health problems in its wake.

Candida, a form of yeast cell, (more than 150 different strains have been isolated) is naturally present in our bodies at all times, and therefore its mere presence cannot identify it as an enemy: if you fall sick, there are few tests your Doctor can do which will definitely fix it as the cause.

If you have taken antibiotics frequently or for lengthy periods of time, have suffered from fungal infections of the nails, digestive tract or genitals, feel sick all over with no explanation, are bothered by memory problems, have taken birth control pills for more than 2 years, are really bothered by exposure to cigarette smoke or chemicals, feel worse on damp, muggy days, - consider Candida as the cause.

An imbalance, a state of dysbiosis caused by yeast overgrowth, brings about a disturbance in the natural order where the friendly organisms in our gut designed to control the level of Candida organisms in our body fail in their task.

This disturbance can be caused by

* antibiotic use
* chemicals
* faulty diet,
* allergies
* tobacco
* nutritional deficiencies
* steroids
* poor liver function
* birth control pills*
* stress

or a combination of any of these.

* (Estrogen/ progesterone imbalances increase Candida's tendency to attach to the cells lining the vagina, and therefore both pregnancy and oral contraceptives can increase one's risk. Oral contraceptives containing 75-150 micrograms of estrogen are most likely to cause the problem; low-dose products are seldom implicated.)

Antibiotics,may be the worst villains, since they cannot tell the difference between the friendly bacteria our internal balance requires, and the bad ones they have been taken to fight: they kill them all. The situation is aggravated by high carbohydrate diets, which feed the yeast organisms, allowing a population explosion.. When overgrowth occurs, several things happen:

* Firstly, C. Albicans is a highly allergenic bacterium. Clinical studies have shown that its presence in the intestinal tract can lead to "leaky gut" syndrome, where food antigens and toxins can be absorbed directly into the blood stream, leading to that "sick all over" feeling. This happens because over time, Candida can behave like a fungus, developing rhizoids that can grow into the wall of the intestine, and contribute to its gradual weakening and permeability: it is possible that this highly toxic state of affairs can contribute to conditions as diverse as asthma and CFS through its effect on the immune system..

* Secondly, the toxins produced (among them ethanol, acetaldehyde - which can damage organs, cause emotional disturbances, memory loss and mood swings, and formaldehyde) may act as immunosuppressants to prevent your defenses from doing their job. This may mean not only that you are rendered susceptible to re-infection by Candida itself, but also that auto-antibodies may form, and hormonal dysfunctions may follow (Witkin, Ph.D. Cornell Univ. Med. Coll 1985) together with a medley of seemingly unrelated health problems.

* Thirdly, the Candida may become systemic in nature. Having breached the intestinal lining, it now has access to the bloodstream and from there any part of your body, where it can set up its home and multiply. Some of the symptoms of systemic Candida are digestive problems, muscle aches and pains, fatigue, skin eruptions and rashes, and recurrent urinary tract infections.

Fortunately, there is now an inexpensive stool laboratory test (see bottom of page) which will determine the balance between yeast roganaisms and good bacteria, and can also determine parasite infestation.

The following are some serious illnesses which have sometimes responded favorably to treatment for Candida: they include MS, lupus, myasthenia gravis, multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome, Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis and cystitis, and endometriosis.

I hasten to add that I am not suggesting that they are cured by this means, but that some of the symptoms lessen in intensity.

Nor is it my intention to suggest that the serious diseases mentioned above such as MS, lupus, CFS, etc., are caused by Candida. What I see happening here, (and much of my information comes not only from my own clients, but also from Dr. Crook's wonderful books, The Yeast Connection and The Yeast Connection and the Woman) is an accumulation of insults to the body which result in illness.

Consider the changes that have occurred in our life styles over the past 50 years - increased exposure to chemicals and toxins, the almost casual intake of antibiotics and synthetic hormones, the decrease in healthy nourishing food and the increase in pesticides, preservatives, sugar, hydrogenated fats, food colorings - the list goes on and on.

How can we not expect our bodies to pay a toll? Lowered immune systems, alkaline/acid imbalance, and digestive disorders are high on the list of first responses to these health stressors, and Candida feels right at home in these conditions: once an imbalance starts, the body reacts in many different negative ways.

What does this mean? When a scientist reaches a destination, he needs to know the road he traveled by, and that it leads only from there to here. It is difficult for a trained scientist to accept that one road can lead to many destinations, or that one destination can be reached by many roads. Dr. Truss in his book The Missing Diagnosis says: " you may seem neurotic ... but do you experience ... depression, anxiety, irrational irritability, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, indigestion, loss of self-confidence, inability to cope, lethargy, symptoms from contact with food and chemical odors, acne, migraine, headaches ... urethritis, cystitis, repeated vaginal yeast infections, premenstrual tension, and menstrual problems? .. These may be symptoms of a treatable illness."

It can be hard for an allopathic Doctor to accept not only that Candida can cause so many and such diverse health problems, but that its cause and correction are also multi-faceted.

Treatment of Candidiasis is truly not simple, but the first step is the proper diet avoiding sugars in all forms, even limiting complex carbohydrates usually thought to be good for you, (see bottom of page for a detailed list).

Candida is a yeast, and anything that might feed it must be avoided; this means cutting out all sugars (even honey), fruits, starches, vinegar and alcohol. No more maple syrup, corn syrup, white bread, soft drinks, or cereals. They should be replaced with vegetables and lean proteins. No more dried or fresh fruits, mushrooms, pizza or pastries. As and when the condition improves, some of these things may be added back in - but many people feel so much better without them, they want to keep the improvement permanently!

An interesting exception to this rule is Xylitol. Dr. Ward Dean states that this sweetener is not metabolized by humans OR yeast: "Yeast gobble it up, thinking they're getting sugar, and die". He considers it one of the best anti-candida strategies!

The next steps are detoxification, enhancement of digestive and immune function, balanced nutritional supplementation and herbal and medicinal anti-fungal agents . I usually recommend the following protocol:

* First, cleansing and detoxing.

* Second, attacking the yeast with a selection of herbs that have natural anti-fungal activity, such as Olive Leaf, Garlic, Pau d'Arco, Grapefruit Seed Extract and Oregano.

The more diverse your weapons, the better your chance of success.

* The wall of the Candida yeast cell is composed largely of cellulose, and it is vulnerable to digestion by Cellulase enzymes. It has no defense - it cannot change the structure of its cell wall. These enzymes should always be used between meals, otherwise they will be wasted digesting the cellulose in your food. IT IS ESSENTIAL TO TAKE THEM SEPARATE FROM FOOD . For more information about Candex, see Resources at right.

* Saccharomyces Boulardii is in effect a friendly yeast that fights Candida: it is much used in France, where they refer to it as the yeast- fighting yeast. If your Candida is connected to food allergies, this may be especially helpful for you; it releases IgA which helps heal the lining of the gut. Saccharomyces is helpful to prevent and relieve diarrhea, particularly when medication related.

* Third, rebuilding the colon and repopulating it with friendly bacteria such as Bifidus and Lactobacillus .

* Fourth, maintenance. I recommend HSOs/ Primal Defense, continued use of probiotics, and cyclical use of Candex.

* Fifth - aiding digestion: deficiencies of HCL or pancreatic enzymes can mean that you are not absorbing your foods properly. Improve your absorption, and there will be less to feed the yeast.

* There is also a connection with Gallbladder malfunction, since a healthy supply of bile helps keep Candida Albicans in check. Generally, there is some reason to suspect that Candida impairs the digestion of fats. This is why it may be a good idea either to limit diary, or to add a LIPASE enzyme as well. If you have Candida, and have had your gallbladder removed, and NOTHING seems to control the infection, consider adding a source of ox bile.

* Sixth - balance acid/alkaline. Interestingly, while many Candida sufferers have very acid pHs, some people suffering from recurrent Candida infections are found to have a highly alkaline body chemistry: this is usually in conjunction with a low metabolic rate, and can occur even if the diet is high in acid foods.

An acid pH in the body can also cause excessive alkalinity in the colon, which encourages the growth of yeast. In fact, one of the means by which acidophilus controls yeast overgrowth is by acidifying the large intestine.
In other words, disturbance of the pH balance IN EITHER DIRECTION, whether acid or alkaline, can facilitate opportunistic Candida overgrowth.

However, Candida is absolutely happiest when the acid environment of the body means that the stomach is paradoxically LOW in acid, or HCL. and the bowel is alkaline.

... Homeostasis is a state of balance, when the entire body is in harmony and functioning perfectly. Disturbance of this homeostasis leads to disease.

* Each step should be supported and enhanced by proper diet and supplements to support the immune system such as Moducare, Colostrum, OPCs, and B Vitamins. Add also a multi-vitamin and mineral, since many Candida sufferers compound their problem by not absorbing the nutrients they need for basic good health.

* Determine the cause of the Candida: whether it be diet, allergy, stress, hormones, medications - unless you find out what caused it and eliminate that cause, the problem WILL RETURN!!

Some people manifest their yeast problems not only internally, but by overgrowths of thrush in the mouth, disfiguration of the nails on hand or foot, and sometimes even malodorous rashes on the skin, under the breasts and around the genitals being favorite sites . I have come across a solution of Silver which is proving to be very helpful for such problems, as a gargle, or as a topical application.

I am amazed, too, at the frequency with which I find that people with really intractable Candida also have parasites. I would recommend testing for this (see the UroKeep Test for Candida and parasites) .

Dr. Morton Walker's book about Olive Leaf Extract points out that hospital acquired infections from pathogenic fungi, mainly Candida Albicans, increased from 6 to 11 percent between 1980 and 1990. Most anti-fungal drugs work by inhibiting the growth of fungi: this means some fungal cells survive in the body, becoming resistant to the drug treatment. Olive Leaf is a fungicidal substance which kills the invading fungus rather than just slowing it down - this means that fewer of the cells survive, and resistant mutations are also fewer. It also means less risk of relapse after ceasing treatment with the Olive Leaf.

There is a mistaken belief that people with Candida overgrowth need to adhere to a yeast free diet. In fact, there does not appear to be any connection between the consumption of food yeasts ( Saccharomyces Cerevisiae) and the overgrowth of Candida yeast. Dr. Jack Sobel, who has a list a yard long of qualifications to speak on the subject, says "There is no association between Saccharomyces in the diet and systemic Candidiasis .... I never put patients on yeast free diets, as they are painful, non-nutritional, extremely difficult to comply with, and ill-advised in my opinion". (my italics) (Interviewed by Dr. Passwater, Whole Foods Magazine July 99 p. 60)

If the Candida still persists, consider an elimination/ rotation diet to spot possible food allergies or intolerances, which may play a large role in this scenario. The Coca Pulse Test can be very helpful. The most common offenders are yeast, (and if yeast is an allergen for you, then it should be avoided) milk, wheat, corn, eggs and citrus.

Candida overgrowth is definitely an under-diagnosed problem in allopathic circles. Most nutritionally oriented Doctors who are addressing this imbalance have concluded that the way to diagnose Candida, is to treat the symptoms, and determine from the results whether or not the diagnosis was correct. This might seem an irrational approach, were we talking about strong drugs that could be harmful to the patient, but Candida can be tackled. and often conquered, using measures which actually contribute to overall health.

The advantage of the natural approach is that you are not only much more likely to control the yeast permanently, but you will also put your immune system back on track, able to help you resist other problems that may come your way.

Avoiding carbohydrates:

* Breads, pastas, baked goods, sauces soups and dressings thickened with flour, and/or sweetened with sugar, candy, chewing gum, and sugar in all forms (fructose, sucrose, honey, maple syrup)

* Dairy products such as milk and ice cream. Unsweetened yogurt, without fruits, is acceptable, some cheese and cottage cheese is OK.

* Fruits and berries

* Sweet vegetables such as corn, yams, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, carrots, beets.

* Many prepared foods. Read the labels! Even canned hams and imitation seafood can be a carbohydrate problem.

YOU MAY SUSPECT, BUT DO YOU KNOW? There is a simple test that can be done to determine whether you have a Candida problem: we have the kits here. The cost of the kit is $15.96 plus shipping, and you then send a stool sample off to the lab. You are personally responsible for the lab fee of $80.00. The results are sent directly to the Health Care Provider you select. I have often found that those with the most serious Candida problems also have parasites,

The article is, of course, promoting certain products. There are many good ones on the market.

Laura said:
Aragorn, please DO get and read the books: "Detoxify or Die" and "The Magnesium Miracle" for sure. 

I finally received those books a few weeks ago. Just finished reading them both - very educating for sure! Thanks for the tip  :)
I wish Sherry Rodgers could have said a few words about the side effects (Herxheimer) of detoxing or how to avoid them. Apropos, are there any negative detox-reactions with the FIR-sauna? The reactions are of course highly individual, I just want to know if the FIR is the best way to go also in this respect. Does one avoid all the nasty side effects using the FIR?

It's so sad to discover over and over again (e.g. from these two books) how the official western medicine just studies diseases and what drugs to use to "put the lid on" the symptoms.

The only way to stay healthy, it seems, is to read and learn as much as one can and then apply that knowledge. Knowledge protects for sure!

Back
Top Bottom